• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hotline Trail looks totally rad.

The videogame made to give ryan tribute was cool too. I dunno why there are fish skeletons and glowing crabs though.

Yesterday I was in a Toronto parking lot, in my car, listening to Bombin the AM with Scoops and the Wolf when I looked into my rear view mirror and saw a big GIANT BOMB logo in it. It took me a second to realize what had happened, and jumped out and yelled HEY DUDER to the guy wearing the Giant Bomb hoodie. Was the first time I've ever met anyone who was a fan of Giant Bomb. Just said hi and went on my way.

Worth Playing has a lot of feels...

Patrick sitting in silence directing jolly Ryan Davis to throw cake into a toilet from the roof of the Giant Bomb offices is quite an emotional piece of video content

Xater

Worth Playing has a lot of feels...

Patrick sitting in silence directing jolly Ryan Davis to throw cake into a toilet from the roof of the Giant Bomb offices is quite an emotional piece of video content

Yeah lots of feels there. :(

I do have to say though that it's a great tribute and I actually laughed out loud when Ryan threw that cake into the toilet.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This comment?

To be fair it was pretty easy to find on their site when you use the internal search tool.

I actually tweeted Griffin about it yesterday. It was deleted. They brought them back.

iC3joI7.png

popo

Yesterday I was in a Toronto parking lot, in my car, listening to Bombin the AM with Scoops and the Wolf when I looked into my rear view mirror and saw a big GIANT BOMB logo in it. It took me a second to realize what had happened, and jumped out and yelled HEY DUDER to the guy wearing the Giant Bomb hoodie. Was the first time I've ever met anyone who was a fan of Giant Bomb. Just said hi and went on my way.

What is wrong with you? You don't talk to strangers. Politely nod if you must, try to minimise eye contact.

Haunted

I do think there is a distinction between Lets Plays and Quick Looks though.

Lets Plays generally tend to be much longer form, in that they often cover entire playthroughs of games.

A Lets Play almost always starts at the beginning and finishes either at the end, or when the player gets tired of it.

Quick Looks are different in that they're more geared to showing off games and introducing people to them. It's a reason when I'm interested in a game I don't just search for Lets Plays, I look at Quick Looks.

I guess the distinction is that generally, Lets Plays are intended to show you one persons experience through the whole game, while Quick Looks tend to be more of purchasing advice/small introduction to the game.

If you simplify it to "Talk over video games" then sure, Slowbeef probably deserves the credit for popularizing LP's but I think Quick Looks are different from that.
They're the first episode of a Let's Play that doesn't get a followup.

Whether you want to call them Quick Looks (GB), Let's Look At (Northernlion), Overview Video (Polygon), First Impression (a million sites), [channel name] Plays or WTF is...(Totalbiscuit), they're all functionally the same.

Negative. Let's Plays were very much a thing well before Giant Bomb started doing quick looks. Hell, I recall seeing them around towards the end of 2007. I'm not saying that Giant Bomb bit off of them, but let's not act like it was the most innovative idea ever here. It's just that the great personalities at Giant Bomb took it to the next level.

As a side note, NBA on TNT definitely suffered with the addition of Shaq.

You're on the mark there. Let's Plays started gaining popularity on SomethingAwful around 2006-2007. They're meant to be full length playthroughs of games and can range from video with audio commentary to screenshots with subtitles. There are some incredible LPs like the Jurassic Park: Trespasser playthrough with ResearchIndicates. The Endurance Run is closer to the format of an LP than a Quick Look is.

FStop7

Banned
Let's Plays were happening on the Penny Arcade forums as far back as 2005 or 2006. There was probably some overlap with Something Awful.

The early ones were forum posts: big blocks of text and screenshots. The player telling the story of his/her playthrough, sometimes adding color to the story by telling it from the perspective of the character.

I think I saw my first Youtube LPs in 2007.

I stopped watching the stream yesterday and missed the dayz section entirely.

This is hysterical! The outcomes for Vinny and Drew encapsulate their personalities and typical outcomes in QLs and such so perfectly, hahahahaha

Ketch

Oh crap sorry in advance.
A Zelda spin off covered by polygon.

Would be like a Like-Like rogue like lite Let's Play lite like.

Oh crap sorry in advance.
A Zelda spin off covered by polygon.

Would be like a Like-Like rogue like lite Let's Play lite like.

You're a Like-Like rogue like lite Let's Play lite like.

Besides, you guys are missing the most important question - was Quick Look invented or discovered?

edit: 5/5 review for Jazzpunk! I really need to grab it.

FHIZ

God... Patrick's face during Ryan game in today's Worth Playing.

Just when I thought the wound had started to heal. Now I'm sad again.

Damn at that final segment in Worth Playing :O :O

that complete silence (save for the game sounds) was kinda jarring especially compared to the earlier parts of the vid.

RIP Ryan RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom