• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
^^if you go about being a dick about it then of course they're gonna remove comments

It's incredibly lame that they're doing this, wasn't me but they kinda deserve the needling. When they 1st posted the video there were 5 or so harmless comments that said it was the same format and said <3 GB. All got deleted within 5 mins.

I can't believe it's 2014 and people still don't understand how the streisand effect works. Jeez polygon

Yeah they've started an "internet war" with a bunch of people who have nothing better to do than just outlast their comment deleters. They're just going to lock them soon.

newjeruse

I'm no Polygon fan, but I don't see a problem with them aping the Quick Look format (which didn't even originate with GB).

It's good for the consumer to have an assortment of unadulterated, unedited videos of major releases not yet in the wild (though I have no doubt that a controversy will ensue when mysterious jump-cuts appear in EA games featured on Overview).

And that format is very personality dependent, so I don't see Polygon stealing many viewers from GB. Aside from the people who go out of their way to hate-watch Arthur Gies overviews.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm no Polygon fan, but I don't see a problem with them aping the Quick Look format (which didn't even originate with GB).

It's good for the consumer to have an assortment of unadulterated, unedited videos of major releases not yet in the wild (though I have no doubt that a controversy will ensue when mysterious jump-cuts appear in EA games featured on Loadout).

And that format is very personality dependent, so I don't see Polygon stealing many viewers from GB. Aside from the people who go out of their way to hate-watch Arthur Gies loadouts.

I don't think anyones arguing against that.

It's just really weird that they're deleting every comment that mentions Giant Bomb or Quick Looks - not willing to admit inspiration even though it's plainly clear.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

It's good for the consumer to have an assortment of unadulterated, unedited videos of major releases not yet in the wild (though I have no doubt that a controversy will ensue when mysterious jump-cuts appear in EA games featured on Overview).

And that format is very personality dependent, so I don't see Polygon stealing many viewers from GB. Aside from the people who go out of their way to hate-watch Arthur Gies overviews.

I don't have a problem with them using the format. It seems like a pretty obvious thing to do in this day and age. It's just funny and sad that they are aggressively deleting every comment that references GB.

Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't see anywhere to put in a discount code (like the usual PAX/holiday ones) on the subscription/gift subscription purchase pages. Am I missing it, or is it gone now?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't see anywhere to put in a discount code (like the usual PAX/holiday ones) on the subscription/gift subscription purchase pages. Am I missing it, or is it gone now?

You have to purchase the code through the actual store, not through the upgrade membership link.

Also, those upgrades are handled manually by Rorie so dont worry if your account doesn't see the upgrade instantly.

Blastoise

Banned
It's weird that none of Polygon's Overview/Quick Look videos are on their YouTube channel.

Is it because of automatic content ID takedowns? or just not wanting negative ratings/comments from GB fans?

Lunzio

As much of a problem as I have with some of Polygon's coverage, attacking them for making a feature in similar form to Quick Looks is pretty childish. I'd even go as to say the Overview is more informative than a Quick Look because it focuses on a total look of the game. Many of the Quick Looks lately involve the crew just jumping into the game and giving their impressions. I approve of both formats as they serve different purposes.

I actually enjoy the Besties crew too.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
As much of a problem as I have with some of Polygon's coverage, attacking them for making a feature in similar form to Quick Looks is pretty childish. I'd even go as to say the Overview is more informative than a Quick Look because it focuses on a total look of the game. Many of the Quick Looks lately involve the crew just jumping into the game and giving their impressions. I approve of both formats as they serve different purposes.

I actually enjoy the Besties crew too.

No one was attacking them for doing content similar to Quick Looks.

The huge influx of comments from that one dude came after Polygon had already deleted all the normal comments that just mentioned or asked "Are these going to be like Quick Looks?"

Lunzio

anyone gonna take credit? lmaooooo

vEE8CoV.png

I'd say this kind of spam is a type of attack though

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'd say this kind of spam is a type of attack though

I mentioned that came after yes, but regardless I assume that wasn't a result of them making the videos since it was only after all the comments were getting deleted.

Giant Bomb didn't come up with the idea of Let's Plays, which Quick Looks are. It's ridiculous for people to be going out after Polygon for doing the same thing. If anything, every respectable gaming website should do that. It would bring more personality to them.

That being said, I'm still not going to visit Polygon.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Giant Bomb didn't come up with the idea of Let's Plays, which Quick Looks are. It's ridiculous for people to be going out after Polygon for doing the same thing. If anything, every respectable gaming website should do that. It would bring more personality to them.

Well said.

That being said, I'm still not going to visit Polygon.

Well said.

Being fair, they introduced the idea to the mainstream press (that lived with the tought that 10 minutes were to long) and the lenght of the videos were kind of accidental.

Being fair, they introduced the idea to the mainstream press (that lived with the tought that 10 minutes were to long) and the lenght of the videos were kind of accidental.

Oh, they certainly were the first to do it amongst the gaming press, and went on to standardize the feature. I'm just saying that the concept of "playing a video game, commenting it and uploading the recording to the Internet" is so simple and unpersonalized that it shouldn't be exclusively attributed to Giant Bomb, and certainly shouldn't prevent other press outlets from making use of it.

Kerned

Banned
Again, no one is attacking then for playing video games on camera. That would be absurd. The issue is their ongoing policy of censoring any and all criticism, no matter how trivial. It makes them look like they have something to hide, and it feeds the impression that they are petty jerks.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oh, they certainly were the first to do it amongst the gaming press, and went on to standardize the feature. I'm just saying that the concept of "playing a video game, commenting it and uploading the recording to the Internet" is so simple and unpersonalized that it shouldn't be exclusively attributed to Giant Bomb, and certainly shouldn't prevent other press outlets from making use of it.

I do think there is a distinction between Lets Plays and Quick Looks though.

Lets Plays generally tend to be much longer form, in that they often cover entire playthroughs of games.

A Lets Play almost always starts at the beginning and finishes either at the end, or when the player gets tired of it.

Quick Looks are different in that they're more geared to showing off games and introducing people to them. It's a reason when I'm interested in a game I don't just search for Lets Plays, I look at Quick Looks.

I guess the distinction is that generally, Lets Plays are intended to show you one persons experience through the whole game, while Quick Looks tend to be more of purchasing advice/small introduction to the game.

If you simplify it to "Talk over video games" then sure, Slowbeef probably deserves the credit for popularizing LP's but I think Quick Looks are different from that.

FluxWaveZ

If you simplify it to "Talk over video games" then sure, Slowbeef probably deserves the credit for popularizing LP's but I think Quick Looks are different from that.

I do as well. I had never seen videos quite like Quick Looks before Giant Bomb started them.

Zaph

Calling Quick Look's Lets Plays is reductive as hell and you may as well then say every video involving a game is the same thing.

Polygon was cribbing off Giant Bomb which is fine, more sites should do (and are doing) it. But at least cop to it and not pretend its a Lets Play like Justin did in that comment.

Zoggy

GB should still get credited for popularizing the format and were definitely the first among gaming press.

how many QL style videos do you guys even remember around 2009? video previews were almost always 5-10 minutes of edited b-roll with scripted dialogue presented in a formal manner.

and i certainly don't remember any popular youtubers "normal guys at home" doing it.

now its mega popular, totalbiscuits main series "wtf is..." series are QL or short lets plays and are his most popular vids, pewdiepie has become a millionaire off doing this and normal gaming press are also trying to jump on the bandwagon. rev3 has started doing this stuff, and even gametrailers is dabbling it.

for those of you who watch final bosman, his "15 minutes of bosman" are another version of that (though they are edited and jump around)

nevertheless, i don't want to argue this, maybe i'm way wrong on all of that.

but the one thing GB does have on everyone is they have by far the most entertaining personalities, and you can't really "steal" that.

i have noticed other sites try to be informal, crack jokes and shoot the shit while talking about the game like GB does so naturally, and its terrible. Awkward, stupid inside jokes that only they get (whereas GB's inside jokes are with their community).

Its a lot like how NBA on TNT won emmys for having such a great show with 3 great guys with incredible chemistry with ernie kenny and charles barkley. so naturally all other sports shows tried to copy them and would try to crack jokes and be funny (have you ever watched a football pregame show? its awful) and it comes off so fake.

man i really went off on a tangent

Manbig

GB should still get credited for popularizing the format and were definitely the first among gaming press.

how many QL style videos do you guys even remember around 2009? video previews were almost always 5-10 minutes of edited b-roll with scripted dialogue presented in a formal manner.

and i certainly don't remember any popular youtubers "normal guys at home" doing it.

now its mega popular, totalbiscuits main series "wtf is..." series are QL or short lets plays and are his most popular vids, pewdiepie has become a millionaire off doing this and normal gaming press are also trying to jump on the bandwagon. rev3 has started doing this stuff, and even gametrailers is dabbling it.

for those of you who watch final bosman, his "15 minutes of bosman" are another version of that (though they are edited and jump around)

nevertheless, i don't want to argue this, maybe i'm way wrong on all of that.

but the one thing GB does have on everyone is they have by far the most entertaining personalities, and you can't really "steal" that.

i have noticed other sites try to be informal, crack jokes and shoot the shit while talking about the game like GB does so naturally, and its terrible. Awkward, stupid inside jokes that only they get (whereas GB's inside jokes are with their community).

Its a lot like how NBA on TNT won emmys for having such a great show with 3 great guys with incredible chemistry with ernie kenny and charles barkley. so naturally all other sports shows tried to copy them and would try to crack jokes and be funny (have you ever watched a football pregame show? its awful) and it comes off so fake.

man i really went off on a tangent

Negative. Let's Plays were very much a thing well before Giant Bomb started doing quick looks. Hell, I recall seeing them around towards the end of 2007. I'm not saying that Giant Bomb bit off of them, but let's not act like it was the most innovative idea ever here. It's just that the great personalities at Giant Bomb took it to the next level.

As a side note, NBA on TNT definitely suffered with the addition of Shaq.

popo

What happened to the Twitter links on the site? I really have no desire to use Twitter actively, but I liked seeing their tweets.

They are pushing site updates. Whenever the site is having stability issues they drop the twitter and/or forums feed to reduce server load.

DaBuddaDa

Negative. Let's Plays were very much a thing well before Giant Bomb started doing quick looks. Hell, I recall seeing them around towards the end of 2007.

Yeah, same here. I remember the Something Awful Let's Plays starting back from 2007, maybe even late 2006? As a piece of content for a true gaming website it was pretty head of its time though.

Where can I find Polygon's quick look like feature?

That's my problem with most video game sites in general BTW, it's impossible to find their original content. GameSpot was brutal with surfacing many of their shows before the redesign.

Also, I have a PSA-- I think This is only a Test is having a renaissance. If Dave becomes a regular guest that is. He was on again this week. It's entertaining again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom