• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Are GB videos 1080p, if you download them? What about streaming? Im not trying to confer anything about the quality of the content, the content is great. Its more academic curiosity than anything else

no. Highest they go is 60fps/720p @ 4MBps. Not the best quality in the world.

FStop7

Banned
Kudos to Navarro this morning for not letting Levine off with an easy ride for essentially binning 95% of his studio. He brought up some great points and kept steering the discussion towards how this is going to be rough going for a lot of their employees.

Appreciate Patrick might be "fascinated" by what will come next for Levine with now he has a smaller team, but I'm very glad Alex kept reeling it back to the fact that this has devastated a big chunk of people. Maybe I'm turning into an old curmudgeon, but to me the story is that a shit-ton of people have lost their job with no real notice or safety net. Not what Levines next project will be.

The whole Irrational news today has left a real sour taste in my mouth. :(

I'm listening to the stream now and getting kind of frustrated with Patrick's attitude.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
no. Highest they go is 60fps/720p @ 4MBps. Not the best quality in the world.

I think Vinny implied that the change to 1080p came up in meetings, but he flat out said that he wouldn't do it (release 1080p content) because the higher ups wouldn't let him increase the bitrate. He also said that he rather make the bitrate bigger than increase the resolution, as increasing the resolution stress the hardware and the production pipeline (it takes longer to edit and convert 1080p video. They don't even have 1080i 60fps capturing capabilities) and there would be no gain in doing it, since they wouldn't let him increase the bitrate.

And he's right.

Just wait until you get to that part on the Bombcast then

I really don't think that Levine should be forever attached to 200 people and doing things that he doesn't want (big projects). If what he said about wanting to venture alone in this new project, but then 2k said "well just stay here because with you gone we're going to kill the entire studio anyway" is true (and there's no way for us to know right now), I don't really see a problem. Just like Jeff said. It's a though spot to be in, but hey.

DoctorZ

Shame about Twitch not archiving PS4 streams. I wish more of the off-site activities got archived as some of the best stuff gets missed.

I'd geuss that Jeff might bust that game out though on UPF or even a QL if it seems dumb enough.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I think Vinny implied that the change to 1080p came up in meetings, but he flat out said that he wouldn't do it (release 1080p content) because the higher ups wouldn't let him increase the bitrate. He also said that he rather make the bitrate bigger than increase the resolution, as increasing the resolution stress the hardware and the production pipeline (it takes longer to edit and convert 1080p video. They don't even have 1080i 60fps capturing capabilities) and there would be no gain in doing it, since they wouldn't let him increase the bitrate.

And he's right.

He's definitely right regarding bitrate. I would hope for some of the better lookers they would upload a separate 1080/60/~15MBps video offsite.

Megasoum

Banned
You guys know about the Giantbomb "policy" about not promoting or talking about active kickstarters to not influence them? Yeahhhhh..... Tested don't mind... They've been promoting their friend''s kickstarter almost every day on the site and on twitter since last week.

What Patrick said? No it wasn't.

He said something along the lines of "In The Banner Saga's world the Gods are a tengible thing unlike in our world"... Which imo is true. No reason to appologize for that.

AkuMifune

Banned
Just wait until you get to that part on the Bombcast then

Brad glossing over the same issues. People love Levine so he must be a good guy and tried as hard as he could for his team, not his fault.

Just glad I don't go to GB for critical thought. Or even common sense.

cdkee

Banned
Can someone tell me when they stop talking about TLoU on the Bombcast? Don't want to accidentally spoil anything about the main game.

Can someone tell me when they stop talking about TLoU on the Bombcast? Don't want to accidentally spoil anything about the main game.

I'd like to know this as well. Brad is the worst when it comes to spoilers. Even worse is that he doesn't understand why other people consider things to be spoilers.

Brad glossing over the same issues. People love Levine so he must be a good guy and tried as hard as he could for his team, not his fault.

I don't get how Levine is in any way at fault here. Realistically, there are two scenarios that could've happened:
a) Levine said he doesn't want to work in a big team anymore, so he either leaves or gets a smaller team. 2K takes the latter, doesn't see any use for Irrational without Levine and boots everyone.
b) 2K starts talks about closing Irrational because it's not worth it (slow development, fairly low returns). They want to keep Levine, Levine gets to keep a few people with him.

Levine doesn't (didn't) own Irrational, he was working there. Sure he must have had say in who they hire etc., but he sure as hell wouldn't have the power to make 2K close down a properly functional studio. Of course people losing their jobs sucks, but Levine isn't personally responsible for every single person at the studio. He should stay at a job he doesn't enjoy because otherwise his coworkers get fired?

About the T-shirts... Social Imprints confirmed that their international shipping has increased almost 200%. I guess I'll be using Shipito.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
He's definitely right regarding bitrate. I would hope for some of the better lookers they would upload a separate 1080/60/~15MBps video offsite.

Isn't gonna happen since they record at 720p anyway.

So the best we could get is a SUPER high bitrate 720p video.

You can actually get ~15Mbps video out of youtube now if you upload it correctly, so GB's Youtube jabs can be sort of funny at times.

I was getting a bit worried, but they finally scheduled a Breaking Brad! I'm gonna have a long weekend, and that's going to be the perfect start for one.

I think his reaction has some valid points as how mean spirited has become the Levine disscusion. Also that he actually spoke with him during realese and notice how bad it looked.

I will say, many of the complainst to Levine seems to be because "he took 6 years to made a corridor shooter" than actual empathy for his team.

frostyxc

I don't know why there is so much Kenneth Levine discussion in a thread about large ordinance disposal, but I thought I'd clear some things up for you folks.

What many seem to misunderstand about this Irrational Games situation is that 2eK Games have a contract with Kenneth Levine, not with Irrational Games. They OWN that visual picture games studio collective. Now, we don't know what is in his actual contract, but I am going to offer some wild (style) speculation, as I am a freelance contract whisperer. It's mostly saying dirty things to pieces of paper... but I GET those pieces of paper, (wo)man.

Mr. Kenneth (as nobody calls him) probably has some sort of no-compete clause that would prevent him from jumping ship and immediately starting something new up. Since he is such a creative bro (dude), Mr. Sparkles (as EVERYBODY calls him) probably didn't want to wait out a period of everyone asking him why he's not doing anything. On top of that, my dirty-talk (whisper) sense is telling me that 2Kay Games was probably going to shut down the studio, anyway. That would mean all employees would be out of work and thrust into the streets, snorting bathsalts and selling their hard bodies for lightly used workstations. They'd end up using Aladdin4D for the friggin' Amiga, buddy!

THEREFORE, Mr. Jimbles (as his pets call him) most likely saw an opportunity to save some key players and get to work on new ventures without having the stress or haughtiness of an independent studio. The coffers will be filled with nickels this time, instead of dimes, but he can continue creating... something? Maybe a new face razor that can also food-process soft foods. Or not. Reports of animal attacks on mens' faces would balloon.

So there! It inevitably stinks when fine employees are let free to fly like poor, unemployed butterflies, but there is a cold, real-world reality that most likely forced Mr. Flarblagen (as... never mind) to take this action. It's like that time I was forced to climb a leaning tower of Pizzicato Five albums because the employees at Tower Records are punks and threw my Hong Kong Phooey Official Comb up to the top. I didn't want to fall down a sad waterfall of Japanese Shibuya-kei hipster junk! I HAD to! Just like Mr. Pump Levine...

Lettuce

iHc3Sjs0xfWp7.jpg

Shosai

Banned
This is too perfect.

Indeed. An apology is used to convey regret for harming someone else. Sociopaths typically don't feel a smidgen of remorse for how their words and actions negatively affect other people, so they often fail to understand the advantages of conveying sympathy.

Not sure how this applies to Patrick, as part of his job requires getting along well with and forming a connection with his readers. Offending people undermines the goals of his writings and videos, which is why he consciously avoids doing so. Most other people in their everyday lives apologize for bumping into other people, even when done absolutely unintentionally.

sixghost

Probably been asked a million times but what are some great premium videos to watch for a first time subscriber?

FTXgxBM.png

I think that image is a bit old though. People seem to like the Pathfinder videos. Breaking Brad is usually pretty good, so are the Souls videos.

Definitely go watch the Random PC Game videos. They're some of the best stuff since the first Endurance Run.

The OP has a list but:

Phantasmagoria
Bioforge
Drew's North Korea trip
Any Random PC game
Any Load Our Last Save

FTXgxBM.png

I think that image is a bit old though. People seem to like the Pathfinder videos. Breaking Brad is usually pretty good, so are the Souls videos.

Definitely go watch the Random PC Game videos. They're some of the best stuff since the first Endurance Run.

Thanks, forgot to go back and check the op.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Watching Patrick play NaissanceE right after watching Jim Sterling play NaissanceE I can safely say, that they might have different playstyles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom