• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This not content from Giantbomb, but I feel it still deserves to be linked.
Generation 16 is a youtube series that showcases every release for the Genesis.

Greg Sewert of the PlayerOne Podcast puts it out and its GREAT. I've watched each episode twice and a few of them three times. It has a pretty irregular release schedule but you couldn't ask for a more professional production.

All GB fans who like the Genesis will enjoy for sure.

greg sewart has been my boy since the EGM golden years

thanks for posting will check it out

I also had a similar Rambo experience to Jeff.

I saw the other movies first then saw the first film. I dont know how the heck they went from the first movie to the rest.

Massa

That was probably the most embarrassing GAF thread I've ever seen. Some people get waaaaayyyyy too attached to resolution

Eh, resolution? I'd wager that thread wouldn't have been nearly as huge if the people involved hadn't taken to twitter to downplay and mock their audience, as is sadly commonplace now (hi Brad!). "I was wrong? So what, get over it nerds".

The fact we even had an IGN staffer openly asking Phil Spencer for a job was pretty hilarious though.

Eh, resolution? I'd wager that thread wouldn't have been nearly as huge if the people involved hadn't taken to twitter to downplay and mock their audience, as is sadly commonplace now (hi Brad!). "I was wrong? So what, get over it nerds".

The fact we even had an IGN staffer openly asking Phil Spencer for a job was pretty hilarious though.

It was still pretty big before that Twitter picture was posted. I meant more it's kind of ridiculous that so many people were arguing that telling the difference between 720p and 1080p was somehow the be-all-end-all to being qualified to write about games.

But yeah, the Phil Spencer thing was kinda funny. Since the OXM podcast Ryan McCaffrey has always been really unabashedly a fan of the Xbox.

Curufinwe

It was still pretty big before that Twitter picture was posted. I meant more it's kind of ridiculous that so many people were arguing that telling the difference between 720p and 1080p was somehow the be-all-end-all to being qualified to write about games.

To me it's not about the resolution, it's about a troubling pattern of dishonesty from certain gaming journalists who feel it's their duty to aid and abet Microsoft's campaign of spreading fud about resolution differences and the power gap.

look sometimes when you're passively aggressively warning people the little things slip your mind

except for calling a slash a slash. that's a big thing. why do we have to bow down to the backslash lobby and call it a "forward slash." it's a slash, my great grandpappy called it a slash, and by god i'll call it a slash

Nice! that rambo QL and Alex vid is up, going to watch it!
except for calling a slash a slash. that's a big thing. why do we have to bow down to the backslash lobby and call it a "forward slash." it's a slash, my great grandpappy called it a slash, and by god i'll call it a slash
lol me too!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
To me it's not about the resolution, it's about a troubling pattern of dishonesty from certain gaming journalists who feel it's their duty to aid and abet Microsoft's campaign of spreading fud about resolution differences and the power gap.

I hadn't seen that resolution thread.

Only looked at the first post and the dudes tweets. Yeesh.

It just seems so weird to say "Alright what I said was wrong, get over it" as a journalist instead of "It was a mistake, I should have looked into it more, my bad" then try to ridicule people by saying "Go outside and don't waste your time." Yeah. I don't know. Just own up to the mistake without trying to act like the people being upset with it are lesser for being upset. It does seem really weird when journalists are gladly saying stuff like this without actually investing stuff into it. It's the type of thing that makes you feel the need to be wary of any gaming news you read.

That 8.8 thread was pretty heinous though.

FStop7

Banned
You know what bothers me the most about that Rambo game?

The cops taunt him by name and call him "soldier boy" before he kills the cop in the helicopter. Yet it isn't until after that when the cop standing at his car says "Hey I just heard over the wire that this John Rambo was a Vietnam vet, a Green Beret!"

Finally finished Bioshock Infinite, went back to watch their spoiler video of it and really surprised by the fact that I still can't seem to handle watching anything with Ryan in it. Was not prepared for that.

Lethal

Neo Member
I just watched the two UF videos when Vinny was playing LoS. I don't know why I felt so shocked to see Ryan in one of em. Like...feels so long ago? Or something? Not a good feeling, anyway.

-KRS-

This not content from Giantbomb, but I feel it still deserves to be linked.
Generation 16 is a youtube series that showcases every release for the Genesis.

Greg Sewert of the PlayerOne Podcast puts it out and its GREAT. I've watched each episode twice and a few of them three times. It has a pretty irregular release schedule but you couldn't ask for a more professional production.

All GB fans who like the Genesis will enjoy for sure.

Oh this is still going? I thought it died when Dr. Sparkle started covering the Genesis in Chronsega.

Every time Jeff says that the Genesis sounded better than the SNES I die a bit inside.

Yeah, I never understood their fascination with the Genesis sound hardware. I don't think it sounds particularly good at all. Nothing on Genesis could even approach the music and sounds of Square's SNES offerings.

Yeah, I never understood their fascination with the Genesis sound hardware. I don't think it sounds particularly good at all. Nothing on Genesis could even approach the music and sounds of Square's SNES offerings.

Streets of Rage alone stomps all over most of the SNES offerings. Though I honestly enjoy a lot of stuff from both the Mega Drive and SNES, Mario World and Chrono Trigger are both some of my all time fave soundtracks.

I think both libraries have their strengths, and have distinct sounds, which I like. Better than them both just sounding the exact same.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Shinobi walks over and stomps a mudhole into any of Square's 'snes offerings'

I think it's because the genesis' sound has a "signature"; as in, it sounds distinct, whereas the SNES doesn't have any particularities.

But it sounds distinctly worse.....

Does it, though ? I don't recall ever thinking this. Maybe for multiplatform games, which were probably designed for the SNES and then ported to the Genesis, and then the sounds would be worse because they hadn't been produced with the Genesis' sound chip in mind ? I recall Genesis-exclusive games to have badass soundtracks.

Cipher

Finally finished Bioshock Infinite, went back to watch their spoiler video of it and really surprised by the fact that I still can't seem to handle watching anything with Ryan in it. Was not prepared for that.

I remembered to go back and listen to some of the GOTY podcasts after playing through Bioshock and Last of Us but forgot they did a spoiler video for Bioshock Infinite, so thanks for reminding me that they did that.

It was good to see Ryan again, especially in something I haven't seen before. Now that I think about it I don't think I ever listened to the MGS4 podcast they did forever ago. Might have to give that a listen.

I remembered to go back and listen to some of the GOTY podcasts after playing through Bioshock and Last of Us but forgot they did a spoiler video for Bioshock Infinite, so thanks for reminding me that they did that.

It was good to see Ryan again, especially in something I haven't seen before. Now that I think about it I don't think I ever listened to the MGS4 podcast they did forever ago. Might have to give that a listen.

They did a Modern Warfare 2 spoilercast too. It's really funny hearing them talk so passionately about a Call of Duty plot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom