• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer the crunchiness of the genesis to the clean midi synths of the snes. There's something about that raw ass chip sound that I appreciate more. Also, Streets of Rage 2 might have the best soundtrack ever.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Where does this small ass town get the budget to hire hundreds of cops?
"When you're pushed by 500 cops, killin's as easy as breathin'."

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I prefer the crunchiness of the genesis to the clean midi synths of the snes. There's something about that raw ass chip sound that I appreciate more. Also, Streets of Rage 2 might have the best soundtrack ever.
I think Jeff was really right about SNES losing points because because of that reverbed murky sound that it always had. At least Genesis was crisp and upfront, and digitized voice sounded great too.

Tucah

you speak so well

Yep, I agree with this whole post. Jeff has a lot of crazy opinions (although I do end up agreeing with some of them - fuck Nights, Yoshi's Island and Metroid Prime), Genesis sounding better than the SNES isn't one of them.

I think the SNES's lack of a distinct indentifiying sound is to its benefit. If you made a montage of seconds-long snippets of dozens of SNES games, I think I and many other people could easily pick out individual iconic tracks by their different styles.

In contrast, if you did the same with Genesis soundtracks... eh, I could pick out Sonic and Streets of Rage II, the usual (coughonlycough) examples of Genesis games not sounding bad. Probably Castlevania Bloodlines as well. The rest would sound like the exact same song of a robot noodling on a tinny guitar to me. All beedle-deedle eedledoodle beedyboody boop.

Also every time I see a SNES track on YouTube, the comments are all about how great the song was and how fun that game is, whereas half the Genesis songs I see the comments are about how SEGA 16-BIT WELCOMETOTHENEXTLEVEL RULEZZ, NINTENDON'T DROOOLZ, or explaining that the song doesn't sound great because Lazy (non-Sega) Devs™ didn't use the Yamaha YM2612 right.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I could pick out Sonic and Streets of Rage II, the usual (coughonlycough) examples of Genesis games not sounding bad.

2536312-2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

Revenge_Of_Shinobi,_The_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg

TraBuch

Banned
This not content from Giantbomb, but I feel it still deserves to be linked.
Generation 16 is a youtube series that showcases every release for the Genesis.

Greg Sewert of the PlayerOne Podcast puts it out and its GREAT. I've watched each episode twice and a few of them three times. It has a pretty irregular release schedule but you couldn't ask for a more professional production.

All GB fans who like the Genesis will enjoy for sure.

Pretty fascinating stuff. Anyone know of a similar series but with the Playstation or Dreamcast?

obonicus

It's not like Genesis vs. SNES music threads don't pop up here a few times a year. And it's not like those threads don't have actual good posters posting dozens of songs highlighting great Genesis tracks.

I mean, if your knowledge of tracks goes 'Well, Sonic and Streets of Rage II', that's great, but maybe you don't know enough to participate in a discussion about Genesis music.

Will M

I doubt they'll give them expressed permission to include luchadeer but I also think the gb crew won't mind if they do. There have been plenty of games with GB references and easter eggs.

It's not like Genesis vs. SNES music threads don't pop up here a few times a year. And it's not like those threads don't have actual good posters posting dozens of songs highlighting great Genesis tracks.

I mean, if your knowledge of tracks goes 'Well, Sonic and Streets of Rage II', that's great, but maybe you don't know enough to participate in a discussion about Genesis music.

his point was those are the only ones he can actually detect because all the other ones just sound like your phone is vibrating on the desk loudly

I just got done playing Onigiri, the PS4 MMO Jeff couldn't get working on the QL. It is quite possibly the worst game I've ever played in my entire life. I'm positive Everquest has better graphics and when more than ~5 characters come on screen the framerate tanks.

Worst of all you can't invert the camera.

Be glad this will never see the light of day in the West.

obonicus

his point was those are the only ones he can actually detect because all the other ones just sound like your phone is vibrating on the desk loudly

Reiterating your earlier bad post doesn't make it better. The real point is: if you are actually making the claim that Genesis songs aren't memorable (as opposed to lol robot fartz) maybe it should be done in one of the innumerable SNES vs. Genesis threads, where you'll actually find posters interested in showcasing great songs. It's not like you have to go far to actually read more on this topic.

Volcynika

Hopefully Patrick mentions impressions about Danganronpa during BitAM today. He tweeted the title screen last night, interested to hear how far he is.

Jintor

Hopefully Patrick mentions impressions about Danganronpa during BitAM today. He tweeted the title screen last night, interested to hear how far he is.

I don't think it'll have the same effect as 999, at least where I'm at. But then again... I'm not done yet.

I've owned Isaac forever but never got into it because it lacks native controller support. It's a dual joystick roguelike that doesn't support dual joystick controllers grumblegrumble

Kerned

Banned
I've owned Isaac forever but never got into it because it lacks native controller support. It's a dual joystick roguelike that doesn't support dual joystick controllers grumblegrumble

Those keyboard controls are definitely far from ideal, but I got used to it eventually. I can't wait to play it on Vita though, that seems like a perfect pairing.

Zaph

Cara seems great, but listening to this Bombin and scanning her tumblr, I have to ask - is video game embedded journalism just an excuse to get paid to have fun and travel?

With the rock star lifestyle embedded journalism can be really interesting because of the glamour, drama and craziness - many famous careers and publications have been built on it - but indie game devs? "...and here is the couch they sleep on" "...this is the local pub" "...a cat".

Maybe I'm completely off-base and some people really dig this stuff. Her Patreon was very successful, so obviously there is some interest here.

Reiterating your earlier bad post doesn't make it better. The real point is: if you are actually making the claim that Genesis songs aren't memorable (as opposed to lol robot fartz) maybe it should be done in one of the innumerable SNES vs. Genesis threads, where you'll actually find posters interested in showcasing great songs. It's not like you have to go far to actually read more on this topic.

i dont think anyone in this thread is looking for definitive proof on the musical qualities of sound chips of 20 years ago

its just simple silly discussion

Kerned

Banned
Cara seems great, but listening to this Bombin and scanning her tumblr, I have to ask - is video game embedded journalism just an excuse to get paid to have fun and travel?

With the rock star lifestyle embedded journalism can be really interesting because of the glamour, drama and craziness - many famous careers and publications have been built on it - but indie game devs? "...and here is the couch they sleep on" "...this is the local pub" "...a cat".

Maybe I'm completely off-base and some people really dig this stuff. Her Patreon was very successful, so obviously there is some interest here.

I think it would be interesting. I'm actually far more interested in the day-to-day of an indie dev than I am in that of some unrelatable, spoiled rock star.

Mesoian

I mean, maybe. It's somewhat undiscovered territory. Who knows, it could be way crazier than we expect.

Worst case scenario, it's a boring read and the contributions stop.

Eh, as long as it isn't a knob-slobbing piece after knob-slobbing piece, it could be good.

That said, Garret is an AWESOME thief name! Garret's just too common over there for her to see it.

Cara Ellison is on the pretty short list of people that, IMO, are a perfect fit for Giant Bomb. Has interesting opinions - and seems to have an interesting personality to go with it. I guess she would not have an interest in joining the site outright, but Patrick should bring her on Bombin' more often (monthly?) if given the chance,

The other people on that list would be the likes o Danny O'Dwyer and Jeff Green.

Brashnir

Eh, as long as it isn't a knob-slobbing piece after knob-slobbing piece, it could be good.

That said, Garret is an AWESOME thief name! Garret's just too common over there for her to see it.

As an American I thought it was funny that she brough up Luis as an exotic name. There's a hell of a lot more dudes named Luis around here than Garrett.

Cara Ellison is on the pretty short list of people that, IMO, are a perfect fit for Giant Bomb. Has interesting opinions - and seems to have an interesting personality to go with it. I guess she would not have an interest in joining the site outright, but Patrick should bring her on Bombin' more often (monthly?) if given the chance,

The other people on that list would be the likes o Danny O'Dwyer and Jeff Green.

Can't agree more

BigAT

They didn't patch that in yet? Amateur.

It's built in Flash so it's impossible to offer controller support. Is Joy2Key really that difficult to install?

As someone that's played a ton of Binding of Isaac with the keyboard, I'm pretty sure I couldn't even play it with a controller at this point.

I agree with Danny and Green, I just don't understand the love for Cara. I think I might just be bitter about her recent review of earth defense force though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom