• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
You guys are getting some high class ads if you're seeing that Thief one on GB. If I log out, I get a top banner, a block on the right, and a lower banner, for 3 different software utilities and each with a big gaudy "DOWNLOAD" button on them.

Zaph

You guys are getting some high class ads if you're seeing that Thief one on GB. If I log out, I get a top banner, a block on the right, and a lower banner, for 3 different software utilities and each with a big gaudy "DOWNLOAD" button on them.
Welcome to being European, a land where ad buys do not reach and are of only myth and legend.

If a network doesn't receive significant viewership from a particular market, the ad team won't bother setting up campaigns, so you instead see the low-value generic shit. Or they do receive enough pageviews, but their team isn't large or internationally connected enough to land the lucrative ad deals. Or they don't have enough demo information from that market. It's hard work, which is why sites join large networks. Also, take-overs are getting more and more difficult to sell; video pre-roll is where it's at.

They already removed them and Jeff got a call in the middle of the night to have a "talk" about the situation.

A tale eternally retold...

LuchaShaq

Banned
I would be so much more into binding of isaac if it controlled like a twin stick game.

Both keyboard and joy2key on pc made me fucking HATE the controls of the game.

Hoping vita version is changed alot in this way.

Do we know what the "Tales of the Mundane in DayZ" podcast is yet? I assume its just another Patrick interview but I was hoping it was Vinny and Drew chatting about the game after playing some more.

BearPawB

Banned
I would be so much more into binding of isaac if it controlled like a twin stick game.

Both keyboard and joy2key on pc made me fucking HATE the controls of the game.

Hoping vita version is changed alot in this way.

I really don't understand the problem with the keyboard controls.

A joystick doesn't make much sense to me because it only deals with 4 directions of fire, keyboard feels much more precise as to when i want to be firing up or left.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
For the love of god, I need to know how this looks if you "Click to expand"

You don't need to click shit. If your mouse is in the general area of that banner (or where the banner was), you get a nice fucking thief video playing over the content of the site, including the video if you were watching that. Every time they get a new big ad campaign I take GB off of my adblock whitelists unless I want to deal with that sort of bullshit.

justjim89

Man, I went from being really excited to play Thief today to thinking "Maybe I won't hate it." Ugh, it's a shame all the development hell and changes of staff seem to have really marred the game.

And shame on me for pre-ordering I guess.

Chuck

Still without luck
You don't need to click shit. If your mouse is in the general area of that banner (or where the banner was), you get a nice fucking thief video playing over the content of the site, including the video if you were watching that. Every time they get a new big ad campaign I take GB off of my adblock whitelists unless I want to deal with that sort of bullshit.
That sounds gross. You really should message Jeff. I can't imagine he'd be okay with that given they've pulled stuff like that in the past.

I recall Jeffrey Tambour eating ice cream...

Also post a screenshot so we can see the awfulness

popo

Alex was spot on in his Banner Saga review. I like me some Grimdark fantasy but this writing is bleak and the music isn't helping. Had to take a break before I got suicidal thoughts.

That sounds gross. You really should message Jeff. I can't imagine he'd be okay with that given they've pulled stuff like that in the past.

I recall Jeffrey Tambour eating ice cream...

Also post a screenshot so we can see the awfulness

There is only so much he can do.

Jeff : Hey, this ad shit is bullshit!

Advertising dept : Do you want more staff or not, bitch?

Alex was spot on in his Banner Saga review. I like me some Grimdark fantasy but this writing is bleak and the music isn't helping. Had to take a break before I got suicidal thoughts.

There is only so much he can do.

Jeff : Hey, this ad shit is bullshit!

Advertising dept : Do you want more staff or not, bitch?
i really doubt thats how cbsi is structured

popo

i really doubt thats how cbsi is structured

The ad dept sells whatever ads it feels like.

Jeff gets to veto any really offensive ones.

If Jeff complains about too many adverts then the site revenue doesn't hit targets.

Management likely release funding based on hitting targets.

So not that far off my little joke conversation.

Seriously though. Jeff knows the score. The money has moved to video ads and he has mentioned wanting to do pre/post/mid roll ads. It is the way to go but I can only imagine the shit storm when mid-roll ads happen.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The ad dept sells whatever ads it feels like.

Jeff gets to veto any really offensive ones.

If Jeff complains about too many adverts then the site revenue doesn't hit targets.

Management likely release funding based on hitting targets.

So not that far off my little joke conversation.

Seriously though. Jeff knows the score. The money has moved to video ads and he has mentioned wanting to do pre/post/mid roll ads. It is the way to go but I can only imagine the shit storm when mid-roll ads happen.

If mid-roll ads were implemented well I wouldn't have much of a problem with it. If it's just mid sentence at the 15 minute mark you're seeing an ad regardless of what was happening in the video, I couldn't see it go anything but rotten. If they added a break at a natural stopping point for longer videos that'd be fine though.

The very idea of an ad that shows after the video is over, on the other hand, is hilarious. Sure. I'll sit right here and watch it. No, no, go ahead. I'll be here.

Do they have anything planned for Garden Warfare? Would love to watch Vinny get into it.

Jeff said on the stream they're thinking about doing a live stream of it, not set in stone yet though

edit: o and that bombcast ads are booked for the quarter and partially into the next one. They may do 2 ads per bombcast too

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think Funky Student was plenty popular among P4 fans before Giant Bomb ever got to him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why isn't Lords of Shadow 2 entirely about Zobek

None of you want Funky Student in that dancing game. You see how fucking lame it made Charlie and his boy band dancing look?

Eidos will pull their advertising money and Alex will get fired.

Haha I thought it was him for a moment too until I saw Thief on the left.

Maybe Jeff did model as Thief

It's getting 10/5.

As the world turns lol

Seriously though that was hilarious to see.

Castlevania looks dreadful.

Yea it was not grabbing me at all.

the best parts of the video (also happened with thief) were the reactions of the crew to the content of the game such as them laughing when Zobek was being an asshole and that last window scene in the thief QL.

Also watching Bindin' just reminded me that the music in Issac was pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom