• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

Fucking PAX. I mean - I understand why they all go, it is good for them and good for the fans who attend - but it really kills the site twice a year. A week, week-and-a-half and usually all there is to show for it is a semi interesting panel. And that is assuming they are not all off sick with the pax pox the week after that. :sulk:

Giantbomb what am I really supposed to think about this Crimea situation? You're the only site I can trust to give me the real answers about these hot political issues.

There will be a Politics podcast with Drew and Jeff hopefully by the end of the year.

Mesoian

Fucking PAX. I mean - I understand why they all go, it is good for them and good for the fans who attend - but it really kills the site twice a year. A week, week-and-a-half and usually all there is to show for it is a semi interesting panel. And that is assuming they are not all off sick with the pax pox the week after that. :sulk:
You should go to PAX.

skybald

Omg no content on the site what shall we all do with ourselves

The coming up box time is fine on my end. The video is scheduled for 12PM EDT so there's a little more than an hour left.

It says "April 9, 2014 12:00AM" for me. It is now 12:15AM CST (Central Standard Time) in South Australia.

It's been wrong for months though. I made a thread about it on their bug report forum and now I can no longer post in it because I double posted to let them know it was still not working...

Anyway, thanks for letting me know when it's meant to come out.

Do you get this angry when they do 3-4 straight podcasts for E3?

popo

You should go to PAX.

I am not the convention type, even if it didn't involve a transatlantic flight.

Omg no content on the site what shall we all do with ourselves

I was having a little moan that it replaces general site content - I wasn't saying it was the end of the world or demanding a refund or anything.

Do you get this angry when they do 3-4 straight podcasts for E3?

I wasn't close to angry. Also E3 podcasts are content - a lot more than the PAX panel - and there is always plenty of other stuff on other sites around E3. So I am not sure what point you think you are making?

popo

It has nothing to do with the resolution. 720p is fine, the videos just look like a mess.

In what way? Not arguing, just asking specifically. They look as good as they ever had for me but I never go above the 1800k (high) option and often stick to 800k (med).

I've always had trouble with the video quality on Giant Bomb. I have a bad connection so have to watch on low quality but theres low and then theres low. Videos can be unwatchable they are so pixelated.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It has nothing to do with the resolution. 720p is fine, the videos just look like a mess.

Are you certain you're set to HD?

There seems to be a bug where it will randomly change the quality settings you set.

popo

I've always had trouble with the video quality on Giant Bomb. I have a bad connection so have to watch on low quality but theres low and then theres low. Videos can be unwatchable they are so pixelated.

That is crappy streaming though - I think this guy was talking about the actual file quality.

Zaph

I've given up using their web player. It worked really well around the time they relaunched it, but got steadily worse and worse. There's probably about a 40-60% chance a video will load for me, and even if it does, good chance of constant hitches or just randomly ending.

Case in point, just tried watching the the Dark Souls 2 PC QL in latest Chrome and Firefox. It won't even load:
CUrF3kP.png

I just stick to the fan made iPhone/iPad app. Works flawlessly 100% of the time.

Is it just me or is the compression on the DS2 PC Quick Look really bad?

Yeah, which is strange, I remember their Battlestar Diaspora part on Unprofessional Friday looking absolutely awesome, but the DS2 video is horrible when everything is moving.

Vinny promised a high bitrate was better than higher resolution. PROMISED!**

**Vinny in no way promised

popo

Yeah, which is strange, I remember their Battlestar Diaspora part on Unprofessional Friday looking absolutely awesome, but the DS2 video is horrible when everything is moving.

Vinny promised a high bitrate was better than higher resolution. PROMISED!**

**Vinny in no way promised

High bitrate is better than higher res. I think the issue brought up is usually that their encoding is too quick and could use more passes (or something). If fast action scenes are worse then this would back up that suggestion.

Gurrry

Hey

Just wanted to randomly point out that Jeff originally started using the term "garbage" on the podcast, then Vinny started using it slightly, and now Brad has even hopped on the garbage phrase bandwagon. He is actually using it alot more than Jeff these days.

Does noticing this make me creepy? Cause if so, thats garbage.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey

Just wanted to randomly point out that Jeff originally started using the term "garbage" on the podcast, then Vinny started using it slightly, and now Brad has even hopped on the garbage phrase bandwagon. He is actually using it alot more than Jeff these days.

I noticed that Jeff says channel weird and I notice it every single time now.

Chennul.

I noticed that Jeff says channel weird and I notice it every single time now.

Chennul.

I noticed this when the Xbox One TV stuff was being talked about a bunch and it drives me crazy. I just can't quite figure out what's weird about the way he says it but it's just off enough that my brain is all WHAT IS THIS.

Lunzio

Hey

If that's creepy, then me noticing how much Patrick uses "bums me out," which has literally infiltrated the mouths of just about every other duder, then I am right alongside you.

popo

Patrick is the first bomber to get that awful new twitter redesign (the one that looks nothing like facebook what? what's a facebook?). Can't be on number of followers. Maybe retweet frequency or famous followers?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Patrick is the first bomber to get that awful new twitter redesign (the one that looks nothing like facebook what? what's a facebook?). Can't be on number of followers. Maybe retweet frequency or famous followers?

Jeez. Hideous. Why are 99% of site redesigns universally awful...

Zaph

It's so bad. The fact alone that you have to scroll 'below the fold' just to see their latest tweet is insane and can't be an accidental oversight.

No coincidence news broke a couple days ago Twitter is preparing 15 new ad types.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You can't even load up a tweet and have all the replies drop down. It opens an entirely new page...room for ads and pageviews.

Hopefully my timeline stays as is.

sikkinixx

The REAL problem was PAX shows is they let the audience near a mic. The two I went and saw live were great.... until folks who have never exited their house, interacted with another human being outside of the Internet, or think they are funny stuff decided to make everyone else cringe.

Dany

Banned
I can watch the livestream just fine.

but then i come into here and i see a small awkward moment propagated into a mega-issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom