• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
You can't even load up a tweet and have all the replies drop down. It opens an entirely new page...room for ads and pageviews.

Hopefully my timeline stays as is.

Who gives a shit about usability and putting the information up front when you can set eyeballs on fire with a half viewport-filling, already played-out parallax effect for no reason other than the fact that it's a hot trend right now.

Dragon

Banned
The REAL problem was PAX shows is they let the audience near a mic. The two I went and saw live were great.... until folks who have never exited their house, interacted with another human being outside of the Internet, or think they are funny stuff decided to make everyone else cringe.

Funny because Jeff wants to do more road shows. You're so dismissive and elitist. It's sad.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Videos have looked awful for a long time. A nice two pass encode would be much appreciated, plus it would work well with their low bitrate.

alr1ght

Would that increase file size?

No, but it would take longer to encode. 720p @ 4MB/s won't look great regardless of encoding method, but it can look far better than what they're doing now. They should drop the 720p @ 1.8MB/s option, as those look doubly bad. 960x540 @ that bitrate would be much better.

I'd rather they went to something like this:
640x360 @ 800 KB/s
960x540 @ 1.8MB/s
1280x720 @ 4MB/s

alr1ght

Jeff?

2014-04-07-fitting-end.jpg

Stackboy

How soon after the PAX panel will the video be up on the site. Been to the last 2 PAX Easts, but I'm getting married this year. Plus I live in Australia.

sk3

Banned
How soon after the PAX panel will the video be up on the site. Been to the last 2 PAX Easts, but I'm getting married this year. Plus I live in Australia.

I think last time it was a week or so? My memory may be rusty but its typically quite a wait because they have to get back in the office and then start the editing/rendering process.

Megasoum

Banned
I think last time it was a week or so? My memory may be rusty but its typically quite a wait because they have to get back in the office and then start the editing/rendering process.

It's being streamed on Twitch this year so I guess the archive will be up the moment the panel is over.

Chuck

Still without luck
the dark souls 2 quick look video quality is absolutely awful. it's not worth going to 60hz if the iq is this bad.

The only time I saw the video quality go crazy was during a Dark Souls Too video (Part 2 I think) when they're near some spider webs. With the webs covering most of the screen, the video quality just obliterated itself as if it weren't allowed to display the glorious luminescense of a spider's webs. I'm assuming this issue was only in the finished video, because no one mentioned it while they were playing. I think I was watching it in HQ html5.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill

Usually it takes a few days, but it'll be streamed live through Twitch this year as well, so you might be able to get to it as soon as it's over.

Stackboy

Any idea if the Royal Rumble thing happening at PAX East that Jeff and Alex are participating in will be streamed or recorded?

I noticed that Jeff says channel weird and I notice it every single time now.

Chennul.

He also says moment weirdly.

Mole-ment.

Edit: They really do need to address their video encodes if they're going to keep doing 60fps content. I mean look at this crap just seconds into the Dark Souls 2 QL:

gb_shitvideo_by_realghostvids-d7dq1eb.jpg

It's like crummy Youtube quality.

Dany

Banned

Mole-ment.

Edit: They really do need to address their video encodes if they're going to keep doing 60fps content. I mean look at this crap just seconds into the Dark Souls 2 QL:

Well he is spinning hte camera around in your screenshot. I've noticed that whenever games have a lot of webbing or nets the game has pixilation trying to display it.

No idea if thats the capture kit, video bitrate or whatever.

Gav47

I reckon CBSi doesn't want to foot the bill for higher bitrate/1080p video. Gamespot doesn't have anything over 720p@4000 kbps either, going to 1080p would probably mean going to 7-8000kps. Its a shame, the one thing i thought Giant Bomb getting bought would have brought was higher quality videos and hosting.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Mole-ment.

He was spinning the camera around in a circle during that part.

Videos save file size by basically using the previous frame as a base to work off of for the next frame.

When the frames are changing a lot and frequently, you'll get blurry artifacting like you're seeing, but most of the video isn't going to be like that.

It's putting the video in the exact un-ideal situation for videos so of course in that instance it'll look bad.

He was spinning the camera around in a circle during that part.

Videos save file size by basically using the previous frame as a base to work off of for the next frame.

When the frames are changing a lot and frequently, you'll get blurry artifacting like you're seeing, but most of the video isn't going to be like that.

It's putting the video in the exact un-ideal situation for videos so of course in that instance it'll look bad.

Okay yeah, it was pretty much a knee-jerk reaction considering it's the first thing I saw when I opened the video. You're right though, it's not representative of the overall quality of the video.

hamchan

I like how they spent a few minutes at the end of the Dark Souls 2 PC QL getting a nice view for a screengrab and Drew used a totally different one.

Zaph

Jeff addressed the 1080p/bitrate question on tumblr. Looks like most, if not the entirety, of their production pipeline would need to be upgraded. So unless ol' Moonves makes it rain, don't expect it any time soon.

TBH if someone is able to make a massive change to their video processor without telling anyone which then breaks shit, forget upgrades, they're probably just happy when things work.

I'd rather they went to something like this:
640x360 @ 800 KB/s
960x540 @ 1.8MB/s
1280x720 @ 4MB/s

Here's me streaming some Battlestar Diaspora at 1920x1080p, downscaled to 1280x720p in the recorder and streamed at 5000kbps CBR and 60fps.

Particularly with the flak screen at 1:20ish looks crisp as fuck

Here's the same thing on mangled on Youtube, 2500kbps, 720p and 30fps

If my substandard gaming rig can pull this off live, a production machine like the linux box Vinny built shouldn't have too much of a problem with encoding it in a timely manner.

Patryn

Any idea if the Royal Rumble thing happening at PAX East that Jeff and Alex are participating in will be streamed or recorded?

They haven't said, and they aren't running it.

I would expect that it's not being streamed, but there's always a chance.

The REAL problem was PAX shows is they let the audience near a mic. The two I went and saw live were great.... until folks who have never exited their house, interacted with another human being outside of the Internet, or think they are funny stuff decided to make everyone else cringe.

I agree, but I haven't watched the questions part of the panel for about 5 panels, so no that fussed.

But without the audience how else are we going to get amazingly awkward moments like this?

itScxn6GAZ94C.gif
That was equal parts painful and embarrassing to watch when I first saw it. Not sure what goes through people's minds. But then, there was some super cringey audience stuff then too, like the guy who acted like he knew them well enough to make fun of Alex or shout fuck you.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Here's me streaming some Battlestar Diaspora at 1920x1080p, downscaled to 1280x720p in the recorder and streamed at 5000kbps CBR and 60fps.

Particularly with the flak screen at 1:20ish looks crisp as fuck

Here's the same thing on mangled on Youtube, 2500kbps, 720p and 30fps

If my substandard gaming rig can pull this off live, a production machine like the linux box Vinny built shouldn't have too much of a problem with encoding it in a timely manner.

While yes, your stream does look nice, half of the screen is basically a never changing chunk that is your spaceship,and the other half is a barely changing chunk that is 95% empty black space.

Videos are best when nothing on the screen is different from the frame before it (or from its keyframe) and your video has barely any difference between frames at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom