• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Here's me streaming some Battlestar Diaspora at 1920x1080p, downscaled to 1280x720p in the recorder and streamed at 5000kbps CBR and 60fps.

Particularly with the flak screen at 1:20ish looks crisp as fuck

Here's the same thing on mangled on Youtube, 2500kbps, 720p and 30fps

If my substandard gaming rig can pull this off live, a production machine like the linux box Vinny built shouldn't have too much of a problem with encoding it in a timely manner.
I believe Vinny said that they send their raw videos off site to another service to encode, they don't do it themselves.

But without the audience how else are we going to get amazingly awkward moments like this?

itScxn6GAZ94C.gif
Please don't remind me of this. Shit pains me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
While yes, your stream does look nice, half of the screen is basically a never changing chunk that is your spaceship,and the other half is a barely changing chunk that is 95% empty black space.

Videos are best when nothing on the screen is different from the frame before it (or from its keyframe) and your video has barely any difference between frames at all.

The Dark Souls 2 PC video is noticeably awful looking in a way that the vast, vast majority of quick looks are not. Watch some other videos. This one is way worse. I don't know what went wrong, but it's obvious something did.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The Dark Souls 2 PC video is noticeably awful looking in a way that the vast, vast majority of quick looks are not. Watch some other videos. This one is way worse. I don't know what went wrong, but it's obvious something did.

I'm on Dark Souls II blackout mode until the PC release, so I won't look personally, but if everyone is saying its considerably worse, I'll trust you guys on it but point out that if it is a considerably dark game/a lot of camera movement those tend to not be ideal situations for video compression.

Defunkled

I'm watching the quick look of Titanfall on 360 and it's cool to see that Brad is pretty informed about the specs of the game. He talks about the Digital Foundry article and they even show off the option to lock the game at 30FPS.

Liamc723

Guys I've been having quite a lot of problems listening to the Bombcast on the website recently, for example with the latest episode, it cut to the letters segment at 41 minutes, despite the podcast being over 2 hours long. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening?

Dany

Banned
You're most likely better off running the podcast in a media player or in a podcast app on your smartphone.

Dragon

Banned
Guys I've been having quite a lot of problems listening to the Bombcast on the website recently, for example with the latest episode, it cut to the letters segment at 41 minutes, despite the podcast being over 2 hours long. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening?

I recommend AntennaePod if you have an Android phone. Works great and automatically downloads the latest episodes for me.

Patryn

I missed this, what was the context?

That was PAX Prime last year. Johnny V showed up with a bunch of Disney Infinity boxes, and they were tossing them into the audience. This girl walked right up to Jeff and begged for the last box and, well, you see the result.

According to Jeff, he didn't remember the girl coming up at all. He wasn't purposely stiffing her.

Also, speaking as someone who was there live, I'd like to note that Vinny took a couple boxes and ran all the way to the back of the theater to hand them out because he knew that they'd never get a chance to get one otherwise.

Kerned

Banned
That was PAX Prime last year. Johnny V showed up with a bunch of Disney Infinity boxes, and they were tossing them into the audience. This girl walked right up to Jeff and begged for the last box and, well, you see the result.

According to Jeff, he didn't remember the girl coming up at all. He wasn't purposely stiffing her.

Also, speaking as someone who was there live, I'd like to note that Vinny took a couple boxes and ran all the way to the back of the theater to hand them out because he knew that they'd never get a chance to get one otherwise.

Vinny is the greatest.

FStop7

Banned
That was equal parts painful and embarrassing to watch when I first saw it. Not sure what goes through people's minds. But then, there was some super cringey audience stuff then too, like the guy who acted like he knew them well enough to make fun of Alex or shout fuck you.

Don't listen to panels (or at the very least not the Q&A) and don't listen to Bombcast emails. So much better that way.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For those having issues with the video quality, you should try going to download and selecting HD.

It'll just open the video file itself on it's own page and it'll play in your browser. See if the quality is as bad there.

Edit: I just started watching the Titanfall quick look and holy christ you guys are right.

The blocking on the menu screens is absolutely terrible. I tweeted Vinny about it.

Edit edit: Holy shit lol @Vinny "I don't think there's a ground texture?!"

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For those having issues with the recent videos qualities and are wondering whats going on behind the file, these are the specifications for the file itself (this is using the Titanfall 360 quick look HD file.)

Code:
General
Complete name                            : C:\Users\Alo\Downloads\vf_titanfall_360_ql_040814_4000.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom
File size                                : 980 MiB
Duration                                 : 32mn 51s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 4 167 Kbps
Writing application                      : Lavf55.19.104

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Main@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 3 frames
Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=60
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                                 : 4 000 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.145
Stream size                              : 923 MiB (94%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 140
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=60 / keyint_min=6 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=8000 / vbv_bufsize=8000 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                                 : English
Tagged date                              : UTC 2014-04-09 02:30:48

Aerocrane

That used to be good advice. For a long time, emails were the worst part of the bombcast. It's only recently that all the crazy nonsense and regional beef started and made the segments hilarious.

But the baseball bat vs knife discussion was pretty great too, and I think that was from an email question too. If you've started listening to email questions only recently you are missing out on some great stuff. I think the questions are at least decent most of the time.

Megasoum

Banned
But the baseball bat vs knife discussion was pretty great too, and I think that was from an email question too. If you've started listening to email questions only recently you are missing out on some great stuff. I think the questions are at least decent most of the time.

Exactly... The difference between the emails and the PAX Q&A is that the emails are heavily filtered. Jeff only pick emails that are interesting or funny. With PAX you get all the crap unfiltered.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
For those having issues with the recent videos qualities and are wondering whats going on behind the file, these are the specifications for the file itself (this is using the Titanfall 360 quick look HD file.)

Code:
General
Complete name                            : C:\Users\Alo\Downloads\vf_titanfall_360_ql_040814_4000.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom
File size                                : 980 MiB
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 4 167 Kbps
Writing application                      : Lavf55.19.104

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Main@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 3 frames
Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=60
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                                 : 4 000 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.145
Stream size                              : 923 MiB (94%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 140
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=60 / keyint_min=6 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=8000 / vbv_bufsize=8000 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                                 : English
Tagged date                              : UTC 2014-04-09 02:30:48

They usually encode every video at 60fps (regardless if the game benefits), but they encoded TF360 at 30 for some reason.

But really, look at this...
http://a.pomf.se/hdoqcs.webm

Something is seriously wrong. Menus should not be jumping around so much with nothing going on.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
They usually encode every video at 60fps (regardless if the game benefits), but they encoded TF360 at 30 for some reason.

But really, look at this...
http://a.pomf.se/hdoqcs.webm

Something is seriously wrong. Menus should not be jumping around so much with nothing going on.

You're absolutely right. I mentioned it in my previous post. There is something seriously messed up with that video.

I tweeted Vinny about it.

STG

I believe Vinny said that they send their raw videos off site to another service to encode, they don't do it themselves.
Correct, in the whiskey media days they used zencoder.com (if I remember correctly).

Dunno if they still use it.

Dragon

Banned
They really make a big deal about the looks of the 360 version and Vinny saying that Titanfall looked beautiful on other platforms...wow confused to say the least.

Mr. F

Banned
Won't be watching the panel, never got anything out of if in the past. The guys aren't very funny when they're playing it up for an audience. I'm fine waiting for the bombcast next week to hear what they checked out on the floor.

Jokab

I seriously doubt I have it in me to stay up for another 2h20m to watch the PAX livestream. Hoping for a swift archive (probably not).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Someone should ask Jeff if he had to choose between everyone else at Giant Bomb, who would he want to be his dad

Lunzio

obviously they are different logos but they certainly evoke a similar design structure to me. It's not a good or bad thing regardless of the similarity though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom