• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxirane

How exactly do I get a premium podcast onto my Android phone? I could download it to my PC and then transfer it, but my podcast app (iPP) doesn't recognize anything unless I download it directly through the app. Don't wanna switch the app for the odd premium podcast that I'm interested in since I like the UI and the widget.

Try this:

Code:
http://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Brad should stream a playthrough of Kirby's Dreamland.

I think was during the Demon's Souls Breaking Brad that Brad mentioned he heard something strange about Dark Souls 2's development but wasn't at liberty to talk about it. In retrospect, it was probably the stuff about the lighting and the preview build looking better than the retail one.

Wouldn't surprise me if he had heard about Beast a while back but couldn't say anything.

Hey look Giantbomb broke their "lets not post stories about kickstarters" for a Harmonix game.

I totally did not see that coming.

I have no problem if GB wants to promote random kickstarters but come on.... Try and stick to your own words. It makes you look scummy when you dont.

Nethaniah

Hey look Giantbomb broke their "lets not post stories about kickstarters" for a Harmonix game.

I have no problem if GB wants to promote random kickstarters but come on.... Try and stick to your own rules and not look scummy.

And surprise, it's posted by Alex.

Patryn

I have no problem if GB wants to promote random kickstarters but come on.... Try and stick to your own words. It makes you look scummy when you dont.

I can see a potential justification in that it's an established company doing a Kickstarter, but I can't recall if they posted stories for the Shadows of the Eternal or Project Eternity. If they had, this is less off-putting, but if they didn't, they probably should not have posted this.

Regardless, Alex should not have been the one to post the story. It should have been Patrick.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Cream

i2NuBhCnvuMAl.gif

like a little baby bird sneezing!

V_Ben

Banned
I think was during the Demon's Souls Breaking Brad that Brad mentioned he heard something strange about Dark Souls 2's development but wasn't at liberty to talk about it. In retrospect, it was probably the stuff about the lighting and the preview build looking better than the retail one.

Wouldn't surprise me if he had heard about Beast a while back but couldn't say anything.

The project beast stuff seemed to break during UPF this week, and when Rorie asked Brad what he thought about it, he seemed hesitant to say anything.

The project beast stuff seemed to break during UPF this week, and when Rorie asked Brad what he thought about it, he seemed hesitant to say anything.

No, I know that, what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if someone inside with Souls games tells him things and he had heard about Project Beast a while back.

xanavi

I thought it was just Patrick who said he wouldn't post kickstarter news. I don't remember Alex saying anything like that.

Can't they steal Danny from Gamespot, I like him alot.

He probably gets paid a lot better at Gamespot and gets to live overseas and paid flights back whenever he needs, I can't imagine GB is going to give him a package that doesn't impact his quality of life considerably.

This one inconsistency isn't worth getting worked up over.

megalowho

If the Giant Bomb Cabal is ever going to overtake the Idle Thumbs Cabal as most influential shadowy power organization in the gaming industry, a few unsuspecting Kickstarters are gonna have to get pimped along the way. Policy be damned!

Alex probably shouldn't have been the one to do the writeup, the dots connect too easily. Little eye raising but this is fairly big news even without the personal connections.

This one inconsistency isn't worth getting worked up over.

I dont know.

Posting a Kickstarter story. Something members of the site are already against.
Having the Kickstarter being for a friend of the sites vanity project.
Having a ex employe of said company post the story.

I cant think of many more ways they could make it look dirtier other then eventually getting personally involved with the Kickstarter itself.

Lunzio

They did the same for Double Fine and Massive Chalice I believe.

On one hand, it's silly to get worked up over them promoting a Kickstarter for friends, but on the other, there has been a pretty consistent "We don't talk about Kickstarters until they are funded" among most of the crew.

They know the power they hold with posting it to the general website, and it can come off as taking advantage of that.

Edit: and the Massive Chalice one was posted by Patrick

Myggen

I actually agree about the Harmonix stuff. They're so close to that company (and Alex even more so than the others) that I don't think it looks good posting that story when they never "promote" a Kickstarter with its own news story. I can't remember the last time they even posted a story like that about a Kickstarter.

Not a huge deal or anything, but it just looks a bit strange.

Anyways, cool to actually post in this thread after lurking GAF for forever. Can't wait for the weekend!

Zaph

It's a dumb 'rule' to begin with. I mean, I don't want to read a news story about every 90's developer who licences their old IP and Kickstarts a remake, but there are still some legitimately interesting KS stories, including this one (it's basically Sony taking a very close look at KS with a small, by-proxy, PS only, test project).

I imagine the frustration was with their inboxes getting absolutely flooded with desperate pleading for attention, but still, arbitrary rules serve no purpose.

xanavi

Yeah, I think the reason it looks like an endorsement is because it plainly is one. We all need to get past expecting other human beings to be fair and consistent with their actions, we'll live longer that way.

Myggen

It's a dumb 'rule' to begin with. I mean, I don't want to read a news story about every 90's developer who licences their old IP and Kickstarts a remake, but there are still some legitimately interesting KS stories, including this one (it's basically Sony taking a very close look at KS with a small, by-proxy, PS only, test project).

I imagine the frustration was with their inboxes getting absolutely flooded with desperate pleading for attention, but still, arbitrary rules serve no purpose.

Regardless of that general rule (isn't that more Patrick's rule, and he does post links to Kickstarters every week in his Worth Reading column), I think this is more about Alex posting a news story about his former employer's new Kickstarter. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but it looks a bit strange. Patrick probably should've written that story.

Who cares? It's not like they're going to post something up for every fucking Kickstarter out there but they do sometimes post stuff up about the bigger ones. Really don't see how there's anything wrong with it.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Guess it doesnt matter anymore.

Alex Navarro ‏@alex_navarro 4m
Decided to take down the Harmonix/Amplitude story. People seemed uncomfortable with my connection there, and I can understand that.

Myggen

Guess it doesnt matter anymore.

Alex Navarro ‏@alex_navarro 4m
Decided to take down the Harmonix/Amplitude story. People seemed uncomfortable with my connection there, and I can understand that.

Seems like a good decision.

Jokab

Well that was handled gracefully. Story taken down and they will re-evaluate their policies regarding this stuff. Nothing more to see I guess.

Brakke

Banned
Eh Harmonix going to Kickstarter is an interesting story because they're a big developer responsible for one of the most lucrative franchises gaming's ever seen.

Didn't Giant Bomb make a joke about Amplitude at the Pax East panel? It's obviously a game concept those guys are interested in. Who cares about the appearance of impropriety anyway? It's actual impropriety that matters.

More Jeffs:

Q said:
Anonymous asked:I for one would have no problem with you posting stories about Kickstarter projects but just try and keep a eye for any conflicts of interest. A Harmonix game being pushed by ex harmonix employee on a site that already spends way to long talking about harmonix games can come across as a bit shitty.

A said:
I think calling someone writing a news story about something that happened to be “pushing” a game is pretty extreme. I also tend to feel like the clock has run out on the “ex-employee” thing, too. He holds no stock and, at this point, just happens to be friendly with some people who work there. I’m probably just about as friendly with some people who work there as he is, if we want to break it down.

We interact with people at video game companies all day long. Sometimes those interactions are friendly. So if that’s your bar for things feeling “a bit shitty,” you probably shouldn’t read anything on the internet ever.

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/84841089541/i-for-one-would-have-no-problem-with-you-posting

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
While I personally don't have any problems with Alex writing a KS story about Harmonix I think it was a smart choice to take it down.

yatesl

Watching last Friday's UPF, and that moment where Brad just bursts out laughing because Rorie didn't know there was a Battlefield 4.

That sums up my feels of him. He's a nice kid, but it's baffling what he comes out with sometimes.

skynidas

Banned
Watching last Friday's UPF, and that moment where Brad just bursts out laughing because Rorie didn't know there was a Battlefield 4.

That sums up my feels of him. He's a nice kid, but it's baffling what he comes out with sometimes.

i thought he laughed at the way he said it the first time and then corrected himself. the first time he didn't say any words, just some random shit

Rorie is brilliant.

He did the same last week, asking "what's the objective here then?" when Danny was playing Sensible Soccer. His comic timing is glorious!

Myggen

So they're actually going for another on camera personality? That's cool! I was sure they were just gonna hire 1-2 producers/editors at first.

edit: So what they're looking for right now is one Associate Editor (on camera, reviews etc.), one Associate Producer and one summer intern for the engineering team (but who knows what sites in the CBSi family that person will work on). Interesting times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom