• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Yeah I don't know much about Cara Ellison. All I know is, the person who gets the job has to have a degree of unprofessionalism the Giant Bomb guys have, otherwise it wouldn't work.

Chuck

Still without luck
What makes you say that? I'm completely unfamiliar with her.

I just don't think she'd fit at all. I tried reading her embed stuff and man is that junk. Just rambling about her time with her game dev friends. And no not in the GB way.

Does Cara have any worthwhile video content someone could point me to to sort of gauge a potential level of fluidity with the GB crew?

She was on bombin as was pretty awkward on it. That's all I know her from with videos. She kind of talked in a way that you would expect someone from IGN to.

There are far far better fits for the position. And yes this is my opinion.

solarus

Patrick is great. He's made the site into what it is today by introducing the indie market to GB.
Umm no that's not true at all. They've always played indie games and the ones they play are usually the more well known ones anywha, what pateick brought was coverage of more niche and lesser known indie games and he does solo coverage of them.

finally checked out the PC Engine vid and Damn Vinny ran a train on that first form :O

Congrats

Am I missing something or did they never put up part two? Was there a problem uploading the video or have they just not gotten to it yet?

Edit: Nevermind, just wasn't showing up on the main page for me for some reason. Found it by looking at the castlevania game page though.

erawsd

Yeah I don't know much about Cara Ellison. All I know is, the person who gets the job has to have a degree of unprofessionalism the Giant Bomb guys have, otherwise it wouldn't work.

I like Cara but I don't think she should get the job.

They really need another "Ryan" type personality. Someone with a commanding presence that has enough charm and wit to carry content.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, I don't know anything about Rev3 games, but I'm going to assume that someone on that team would make sense as well.
OXM just shut down too, so I assume those people would apply as well, but I know less about who is on the OXM team nowadays.

Someone from Rev3 Games makes sense.

They would already be in the area so they are good to go

Also with the new getting out that gametrailers is getting sold off I wouldnt be shocked if a few of those guys are already looking for work.

RE_Player

All I hope is that with a new staff member they cover more preview events and do more video features. Some of my favourite videos of the site are the wonderfully edited videos that have them walking through a place bullshiting with interviews cut in between.

santeesioux

Also with the new getting out that gametrailers is getting sold off I wouldnt be shocked if a few of those guys are already looking for work.

How many heads would explode if Sessler suddenly decided to get back into games journalism and joined them?

But seriously, as i mentioned earlier, Tara Long would be cool.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

They really need another "Ryan" type personality. Someone with a commanding presence that has enough charm and wit to carry content.
That's kinda what I thought they were looking for, a new 'host' to lead the shows that Jeff can riff off of. But hey, maybe Jeff is into the hosting thing now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I thought Pachter was wrong about the Game Trailers thing?

All I hope is that with a new staff member they cover more preview events and do more video features. Some of my favourite videos of the site are the wonderfully edited videos that have them walking through a place bullshiting with interviews cut in between.
Yeah, with three video people they could afford to send someone away and not have it wreck the live shows.

Lijik

Jeff is saving all his Jeff bucks to buy Danny's contract.

iCBe0WGMUYHdD.gif

What are the best quick looks of the last few months? I watched the Spider-man one recently, which was great.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle is a nice slow descent into acceptance
Hack 'n' Slash is decent. It's an EX, but Brad and Vinny;s reaction to the game is good
Kinect Sports: Rivals is great if you want to laugh
Fract OSC is a good descent into the madness of that game
Goat Simulator 2014 is worth it if you have not played the game

Zaph

Unless Cara already has a visa/US dual nationality for whatever reason, she ain't getting the job. CBSi already went through the long enough process of getting Danny one (he was already a long term employee which makes it easier), doubt they'd do it again for someone without a fanbase on the site. Justifying it to immigration will be very difficult.

I just don't think she'd fit at all. I tried reading her embed stuff and man is that junk. Just rambling about her time with her game dev friends. And no not in the GB way.
Yeah, she seems like a really nice person, but the Embed With articles aren't good. I'm a fan of her RPS stuff, so I really tried liking them but they're just not interesting and in desperate need of an editor. There are only so many times you can say "and then we went to a bar with..." before it sounds like a teen's blog.

That style of gonzo journalism requires a very experienced and self disciplined writer with a fascinating subject.

SparkTR

Patrick is great. He's made the site into what it is today by introducing the indie market to GB. Having said that, I'm not sure if the decreasing quality of the console market of 05'-'13 would have brought all three manufacturers to a similar point.

Either way I want to be on the same level as Patrick in the next ten years. I graduate college in another year.

I always saw that as the other way around, when he first started he barely even gamed on PC. Giantbomb put him on indie games and smaller stuff is the way I saw it.

Haunted

Jeff is saving all his Jeff bucks to buy Danny's contract.
yes pls

I want them to hire a young optimistic and observant person with no ties to Giantbomb's industry friends.
Then you get another intern.

GB was built on their industry connections, someone they know would also have guaranteed onscreen compability, like Patrick did.

If I had to venture a guess it'll be an old Gamespot alumni.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Did bodega ever tell us what he studied in college? I just want to know how he is working alongside adam boyes at sony.

I'd guess it's probably less to do with what he studied, and more to do with the link between him + GB + Adam.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Jeff's tumblr is just fantastic

"All these freaky anime omega nerds are taking over the site. I didn't realize the GB fanbase was so strange. They have figures of anime girls with huge tits and are all acting like this is a rational thing to collect. Then they spend time talking about hatsune miku non-ironically and mentioning katawa shoujo in every post like a freaky perverted forever alone. I like video games but sometimes these people make me not want to be associated with them."

Can’t talk right now, getting my Words Worth tattoo touched up.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I wonder if jeff remembers words worth because of something else, or if he just remembers it because it's such a weird fucking name.

That man's name is Jeff Gerstmann.

She's probably more unprofessional, if anything. That said, as the site gains another control room guy, GB's gonna get a whole lot less unprofessional. Fair warning :p

chogidogs

Did bodega ever tell us what he studied in college? I just want to know how he is working alongside adam boyes at sony.

He's a theater major. And yes, I have watched that Battlefield 3 TNT too many times. I regret nothing, it was the best one. 2nd best was Jeff and Ryan playing download only games on PSN and XBL.

I'm a new premium user, and I'm trying to setup the premium podcast feed within Pocketcasts for android. According to a thread that I found, I supposedly can set it up using url based authorization. The issue that I'm having is that for some reason, my login isn't working when I'm using:
http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

Has anyone else had this problem? Did you need to enter your username in differently from what you would use to normally login to giant bomb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom