• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gies has a very good gig with Polygon. I don't think there is any reason to even speculate he'd join GB.
Back when Gies posted here, he mentioned that he had stock in the company - much like, presumably, what Jeff had with Whiskey Media. No one at Polygon is going to leave unless something drastic happens.

Black Keys > Giant Bomb. True story.

Miyamoto agrees

ibnmU5aMKGIk3l.gif

Excellent Bombin this morning. I always thought the media's obsession with Eve was kind of weird. The stories are amusing but still. Hearing that theres a guy behind the madness wooing the media and such makes sense

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
He was in BioDome, right?
BioDome is one of the all time greats, I'm so glad the library of congress chose it to be included in the national film registry a few years back.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Today was a great day to realize I was streaming the Giant Bombcast from iTunes and not actually downloading each recent episode onto my harddrive. Lesson learned.

bjork

I just hope they put their new hire's opinion about vital subjects pubic.
Like thought on;
Yoshi's island
Flip flops/thongs
cake/pie
deep dish/thin crust
Is Ryu from street fighter a magician?
Gif or Jif
Favorite candy
Popeye's or KFC?

YI is colorful garbage
flip flops and jeans are the shit, I only wear thongs with my daisies on
cake
deep dish all the way
he's a wizard and that looks fucked up
gif
bottle caps
Neither, real Gs get chicken at Golden Bird

I wonder who his hosting the podcast this week. I hope it's a Vinnycast.

I'm pretty sure it's cards against humanity's Max Temkin. He'll also announce that he is the newest member of the team and that he'll be joined by Chris Watters for the newest Endurance Run, where they play Persona 3 together and skip the dialogue and never fuse their personas.

Zaph

I'm pretty sure it's cards against humanity's Max Temkin. He'll also announce that he is the newest member of the team and that he'll be joined by Chris Watters for the newest Endurance Run, where they play Persona 3 together and skip the dialogue and never fuse their personas.
Don't forget all video content having an overlay in the corner of Arthur Gies doing sign language.

demidar

YI is colorful garbage
flip flops and jeans are the shit, I only wear thongs with my daisies on
cake
deep dish all the way
he's a wizard and that looks fucked up
gif
bottle caps
Neither, real Gs get chicken at Golden Bird

I'm afraid your application is unsuccessful. The position of Jeff is already filled.

Nymphae

Banned
want to explain why hes a scumbag? I know theres a group of sony fans that dislike him simply because he doesn't enjoy certain sony ip as much as them.

That's not why people dislike him, simply because he doesn't like a particular Sony IP.

Take your pick, but it's mostly the way he comes across when he talks/writes anything.

- He shoehorned himself into Rebel FM, a show for ex-EGM employees, simply because he lived with Anthony Galleigos. Their first show was to get everyone together, and discuss the loss of jobs at EGM/1up and just give those guys a new place to talk. Arthur chimes in a lot in that episode, even though no one who was listening knew or cared who he was. Strike one, insert yourself and your smart ass comments into a show of beloved internet personalities, because hey why not, I'm Arthur fucking Gies and need exposure.

- He continued to be one of the more annoying voices on the show, coming back week after week because his friends were recording at the place he and his roommate live. He argues all the time, and argues very inane points, often the the point of uncomfortableness (I'm thinking the "shooter mechanics" debate between him and Ryan, also I believe Tyler Barber left the show due to Arthur's Arthurness, which was a damn shame, and the reason I stopped listening.)

I've honestly never gotten this impression from other members of this industry in other podcasts (maybe 1up yours with Shane & Luke, but that always felt relatively good natured.) I get the sense from a lot of arguments I've heard Arthur get into on podcasts, that people cannot fucking stand the guy, and put up with him because he is a friend of friends.)

If you go back and listen to the early shows, Arthur is constantly combative and argumentative, others will push back, but he does seem to be the instigator in most cases. It's his snide "sigh I guess I'll explain this because I know more than you do..." tone that permeates everything he says. Seriously the guy used to sigh and yawn on that show every couple of minutes it seemed.

- The Rebel FM donations debacle didn't help.

- The fact that he got promoted into his position at Polygon over other far more qualified individuals, and in fact, was for some reason hand picked by the Polygon Supergroup of Industry Saving Games Journalists.

- He wrote and defended the Sim City review over at Polygon, hilariously.

- His writing, in my opinion, is garbage.

- Also, the Polygon documentary didn't do him any favours. Of course the best place to do an interview about your new videogame site is a tattoo parlour, as you're getting a tattoo. How else are we supposed to know how cool he is?

None of these things are particularly damning by themselves, but when taken as a whole, over time, seeing the same shit out of the guy over and over, people start to dislike him. I know I forgot a ton of things, I always see crazy Gies tweets posted around Gaf that make me roll my eyes.

bigkrev

Wonder if we get an emergency Scoops and the Wolf like we did for the Irrational Games news. This is probably the biggest news of the year so far.

Lunzio

Big news always seems to come out on a Tuesday... hopefully they can at least record an addition to the podcast since they basically are just starting their day on the west coast.

Patryn

Can we stop talking about Gies? EmCee already came in and prodded us away from the topic. If you want to rant about him, please go make a Polygon thread if for your own account's sake.

I don't like Danny.

GTFO.

... but seriously, can I ask what about him annoys you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom