• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nymphae

Banned
Just someone in this thread trolling when he/she said that he wouldn't mind Gies being hired, and suddenly everyone was talking about it. No way Gies would even consider an Associate Editor position and except for his obvious love for the site (he's mentioned it on his Twitter a bunch of times, seems to be on good terms with Jeff and Brad etc.) we have absolutely no indication that he's even in the mix.

Short version: Nope, just some people trolling in this thread.

Cool, crisis averted.

FStop7

Banned
Whenever you guys mention "Dio" I think you mean Ronnie James Dio.

Ronnie-James-Dio-004.jpg

Can we get a poll going of the leading candidates for the job at Giant Bomb?

1. Random developer/journo hybrids who post wanky articles about how wanky they are
2. Fan hive mind vocaloid controlled via Twitch (this is my current favorite)
3. Arthur Gies
4. Brad

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'd love to know what Jack Tretton really thinks about these video games.

big_z

Arthur is a real known scumbag in the industry hated by so many people. Patrick was just G4's news guy.

want to explain why hes a scumbag? I know theres a group of sony fans that dislike him simply because he doesn't enjoy certain sony ip as much as them.

want to explain why hes a scumbag? I know theres a group of sony fans that dislike him simply because he doesn't enjoy certain sony ip as much as them.

Actually IIRC the worst of his reputation was won during the SimCity debacle. At least I think that was what caused Evilore to call him out here on NeoGaf.

Recall

He is an arrogant cunt as backed up by the whole sim city bullshit. Nothing to do with Sony.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He is an arrogant cunt as backed up by the whole sim city bullshit. Nothing to do with Sony.
To put it more kindly, he's the type of person who thinks he is right all the time and will double down on it even if he's wrong.

The most infamous GAF example would be how he dared someone to find an instance of him using "secret sauce" and offered to pay them if they could. A few minutes later, someone did (because searching isn't that hard) and he refused to pay. It's probably one of the reasons why he stopped posting here to be honest.

But yeah, the insistence that Sim City was some massively online game that required the "cloud" and that people who hacked the game to go offline were liars was *insane*, considering not only that the community came up with an offline crack, but that EA would patch in offline mode one year later.

Giant Bomb Dot Com is still down. STILL.

This is unacceptable; clearly their Mother's Day promo was a last-ditch effort to make money before taking the website offline for good. This is the only possible, reasonable explanation...

I just want to watch some Random PC Game, Giant Bomb... why do you make it so difficult?

Myggen

This is unacceptable; clearly their Mother's Day promo was a last-ditch effort to make money before taking the website offline for good. This is the only possible, reasonable explanation...

I just want to watch some Random PC Game, Giant Bomb... why do you make it so difficult?

Brad left and took all of CBSi's external servers with him to start a DOTA site.

Brashnir

It's the perfect opportunity to catch up on some VGCW to prepare for End Game 7 tomorrow.

Curufinwe

I still find it odd how crazy people on gaf get about gies lol. You'd think he did something major besides tweet some controversial things.

He's been saying, posting, writing and tweeting dishonest and inaccurate drivel ever since he somehow got a platform on the Rebel FM podcast that was paid for in large part by donations by members of this forum. His fundamental lack of technical knowledge and unquestioning loyalty to MS was exposed last year in the PS4/Xbone tech threads and yet he still acts like he's some kind of expert. He actually gets off comparatively lightly because there's almost no one left on GAF still listening to it. I stopped in 2010 and could still reel off a bunch of bullshit he espoused that no one else in the gaming media would have come up with.

People are not kidding about canceling their subs if he's hired because he is genuinely unbearable. Go watch Polygon's PS4 launch day coverage and see.

beatnik11

Neo Member
I think gaffers are going a bit too far with this Arthur Gies stuff, I honestly cant see any realistic situation where Jeff would decide to pick him up for the site. I doubt he is nearly as bad as a guy that the internet paints him as but that whole Sim City stuff didnt really help out his credibility. Most importantly though he already has a good position at Polygon and his personality is a bit too serious to really fit with the crew who tend to just wing it.

Honestly if we are spit balling names Danny O'Dwyer seems like an obvious choice, he fits in perfectly with the chemistry of the site and there might be less red tape involved to get him moved from GS to GB since its within the company. Someone else mentioned Cara Ellison and I think she would probably fit in pretty good, it would definitely be a step up from RPS

Gies is fine. Dude made some seriously bad calls with the SimCity stuff but we all make bad calls. He's not a monster.

I think Cara Ellison would be great, crew could use a chick.

EDIT: after me of course, should be me.

dlc

Neo Member
sorry guys, still working w/ the ops team (a lot of sites in the network are down as well). No ETA unfortunately.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Gies is fine. Dude made some seriously bad calls with the SimCity stuff but we all make bad calls. He's not a monster.

Gies has said a lot of really ridiculous stuff even outside of the SimCity debacle. It's definitely not just a "he slipped up once" kind of thing.

Dragon

Banned
sorry guys, still working w/ the ops team (a lot of sites in the network are down as well). No ETA unfortunately.

As a fellow programmer (know enough about system administration) I do not envy you guys right now. Good luck and if there's anything we can do to help let us know!

laika09

As a fellow programmer (know enough about system administration) I do not envy you guys right now. Good luck and if there's anything we can do to help let us know!

It's actually out of our hands because of the datacenter move. The ops guys are working on it, but CBS.com is higher priority for some reason. (something something Black Keys concert something something.)

M3z_

If you think the only reason people dislike Gies is Sim City related you aren't on the ball with the issue. The guy routinely acts like an ass. I have literally never seen/heard him appear in something that didn't make me think negatively of him, though admittedly because of that I have not consumed a ton of content he has been apart of.

skynidas

Banned
It's actually out of our hands because of the datacenter move. The ops guys are working on it, but CBS.com is higher priority for some reason. (something something Black Keys concert something something.)

haha, the letterman livestream shit? yeah, they were hyping that shit on twitter

Dragon

Banned

Ah. I have one of those coming up in six months, not looking forward to it at all, but thankfully akamai should cover my site's butt in case of any outage.

Guys, if Arthur Gies actually joins Giant Bomb in the real world for some reason, then this can become the thread where we talk about how all SimCity criticism had nothing to do with game mechanics but was simply people "bullying" EA; or how COD: Ghosts had mysterious extra lighting effects on XBO versus PS4 and IW was lying when they said it was just a res difference.

But thankfully, this is not that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom