• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably* confirmation bias, but I feel like a lot of game companies wait until Tuesday to put out big news stories, so the Bombcast always feels like it's in this limbo of "have they recorded it yet!?"

*definitely

I picked on this too.
I wish i never learned that the Bombcast was recorded on Monday. Its like learning how sausage was made. I will still consume and enjoy it but know what they do to get the product out.

What is to say that hasn't been said anyway?

MS wanted everyone to have a kinect so that devs would support it.

PS4 is beating them in sales.

They 180 again in the hope that it isn't too late.

Pretty much. This isn't nearly as much of a shocker as them dropping DRM was.

Of course this was going to happen. The only shocking part of this story to me is that it happened now and not E3.

why talk about anything on the bombcast ever

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Dammit. I went into the Bombin supplement and rolled it back to the beginning so I could see it all, but when the show ended it just shut off. :c

Really annoying how the site has been doing this. Their live player is great (though they were using youtube here) but you can't pause/rewind during a live show because you'll just get booted before it ends for you. I get home from work after most of their live content has started and now I just have to wait for the archive instead of going back ~45 minutes and watching to the end.

Myggen

It's probably* confirmation bias, but I feel like a lot of game companies wait until Tuesday to put out big news stories, so the Bombcast always feels like it's in this limbo of "have they recorded it yet!?"

*definitely

Question is, have you (and others who's saying this now) been feeling this way before today and/or whatever pretty recent news that also dropped on a tuesday which they missed? If not, it's probably not a big deal because they've pretty much always recorded it on a monday (and sometimes on a tuesday, but I get the impression that it's like 8-9 monday recordings for every tuesday).

I personally prefer to get the Bombcast earlier on a tuesday, so monday recordings are cool by me. And don't really see the need to suddenly begin recording it later in the week than tuesdays at the latest.

Question is, have you (and others who's saying this now) been feeling this way before today and/or whatever pretty recent news that also dropped on a tuesday which they missed? If not, it's probably not a big deal because they've pretty much always recorded it on a monday (and sometimes on a tuesday, but I get the impression that it's like 8-9 monday recordings for every tuesday).

I personally prefer to get the Bombcast earlier on a tuesday, so monday recordings are cool by me. And don't really see the need to suddenly begin recording it later in the week than tuesdays at the latest.

I've been noticing it for years.

Myggen

Fair enough! I've never really noticed them missing a lot of news because they record on mondays, but I guess it happens. Ah well, since it's a Vinnycast maybe we can hope that he records some 15 minute thing at the end or something?

Zaph

Fair enough! I've never really noticed them missing a lot of news because they record on mondays, but I guess it happens. Ah well, since it's a Vinnycast maybe we can hope that he records some 15 minute thing at the end or something?
It happens a handful of times every year.

Honestly, unless news breaks over the weekend or early Monday morning (almost never), the news portion of the Bombcast always feels stale. Sometimes there are whole stories not discussed because they simply forgot (wasn't there some recent Nintendo news this happened to?).

One of the few interesting things about TNT was that it would sometimes act as a good supplemental podcast when this stuff happened.

Zornack

One of the few interesting things about TNT was that it would sometimes act as a good supplemental podcast when this stuff happened.

It's not uncommon for them to talk a bit about news during UPF. That's where they first discussed Project Beast and the Sony's E3 plans "leak," if I'm not mistaken.

FStop7

Banned
It will be interesting to see how Giant Bomb spins the Kinectless Xbox One considering how deeply invested Harmonix is in making a Kinect game.

KorrZ

I wonder if meetingsmeetingsmeetings keeps them from doing it on Tuesday afternoon reliably.

From what I recall, they switched to Mondays for recording because when they used to do recording -> editing -> uploading all on Tuesday it pretty much took up an entire day for Ryan.

Volotaire

It will be interesting to see how Giant Bomb spins the Kinectless Xbox One considering how deeply invested Harmonix is in making a Kinect game.

Well Jeff (from his tweet), and Patrick and Alex (from Bombin with the A.M) have certainly not 'spinned' anything they have said.

I don't know where this is coming from.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Don't get me wrong, I'm really not a fan of Gies but he's not wrong on that one.

Right now the devs have to reserve CPU/GPU power for Kinect in every games no matter what.

Maybe now MS will let them use that extra power if the game doesn't use Kinect.

Just looks like he is trying to find another "secret sauce" ala Cloud, secret GPU, secret RAM and anything else any number of people wanted so that the XBone was on par with PS4.

Patryn

I honestly can't remember them saying a single positive thing about the kinect.

Jeff on Twitter and Patrick on the reaction show both talked about liking using it to navigate the UI, which appears to be the common feeling (including mine).

They've never been fans of the motion control stuff, however, and Alex rightfully pointed out that there have basically been no games designed solely around motion control barring Kinect Sports Rival, which was pretty much pushed out to die.

Well Jeff (from his tweet), and Patrick and Alex (from Bombin with the A.M) have certainly not 'spinned' anything they have said.

I don't know where this is coming from.

The conspiracy theory about how GB won't badmouth Harmonix or Double Fine.

popo

It's a shame if his sources inside/around MS have dried up that much.

His main whistle blower source seems to be in EA, I would not be at all surprised if the same source heard the MS DRM news first and passed it along.

why talk about anything on the bombcast ever

It isn't that they shouldn't talk about it - just not sure it is big enough that they lose much by talking about it next week when Jeff can also join in.

A lot of breaking news does seem to come out Tuesdays but if you went and collated the data I bet it breaks on a selection of other weekdays almost as frequently.

Xater

Yeah news breaks way too often late monday/early tuesday to not notice it all the time. Podcast recorded on Friday would probably be the best because for the most part nothing happens on the weekend.

Is it possible that they just enjoyed that game more than most people? Witness Jeff and Syndicate.

That game got good scores everywhere, also I don#t think they have a unhealthy relationship with Double Fine.

The real crime was giving The Cave 3 stars. It was trying to be a puzzle platformer with a sense of humor but it its attempt to juggle all of those things it failed miserably at all of them.

But seriously, them never reviewing Dance Central 3 was probably the shadiest of shit given that they ripped it a new one not too long ago.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, now people want them to review games friends are involved in? They explicitely don't want to do that.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Am I in an alternate reality where Iron Brigade was a terrible game, hated by everyone but GiantBomb?

The real crime was giving The Cave 3 stars. It was trying to be a puzzle platformer with a sense of humor but it its attempt to juggle all of those things it failed miserably at all of them.

But seriously, them never reviewing Dance Central 3 was probably the shadiest of shit given that they ripped it a new one not too long ago.

To me The Cave is the perfect "3 star" game.

Wait, now people want them to review games friends are involved in? They explicitely don't want to do that.

then I must've imagined all of those dance central and rock band reviews. Which, btw, i didnt have an issue with until they skipped reviewing Dance Central 3, which kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

To me The Cave is the perfect "3 star" game.

Yeah, i was only being facetious with it not being 3 stars. It's very much a meh game that does some things right but is mostly middling.

njean777

Game companies wait for the bombcast to record because they know once giant bomb reports something, or talks about it, shit goes down. They don't want the bombardiers getting info because once we do, there is nothing they can do to stop us from spreading the news.

Wasn't that more Jeff being lazy/having nothing to say about another Dance Central game?

Kerned

Banned
Wasn't that more Jeff being lazy/having nothing to say about another Dance Central game?

Well, I remember he had plenty to say about it on the podcast, and none of it was good. Whatever though, I don't think him not reviewing it was shady. I'd prefer they just abstain from reviewing games made by their close friends anyway.

Zaph

The real Greg is going to be on The Lobby (Danny's live show) in 15minutes. Showing off Transistor and talking about the XONE news.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Well, I remember he had plenty to say about it on the podcast, and none of it was good. Whatever though, I don't think him not reviewing it was shady. I'd prefer they just abstain from reviewing games made by their close friends anyway.

Honestly, I remember that podcast and it felt like he was deliberately being extra vitroilic as if to make up for what he felt like was a bad move to not review the game.

It almost felt like he was trying to be like "Hey, I will TOTALLY tear apart a game that my friends made see look how much I hate this?"

Maybe I was looking into it too much, but I remember it feeling like he put extra effort into making sure he was rotten on the game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

2521937-6446038468-13982.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It is too bad that the SF office can't just jump on and do a short show about the news. But I assume Jeff is out, and Brad and Vinny probably don't have much to say, so why bother.

Kerned

Banned
Honestly, I remember that podcast and it felt like he was deliberately being extra vitroilic as if to make up for what he felt like was a bad move to not review the game.

It almost felt like he was trying to be like "Hey, I will TOTALLY tear apart a game that my friends made see look how much I hate this?"

Maybe I was looking into it too much, but I remember it feeling like he put extra effort into making sure he was rotten on the game.

Our memories of that podcast are very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom