• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
SrzIySF.jpg

Such an innocent smile.

man, totally messed myself up sleep wise for work in a few hours but that was just amazing. Every segment was the giantbomb people at there best and surrounded by some fascinating people.

I like when they can do nights like these because they have a lot of segments and if you don't enjoy one, then another is coming.

Lang is so funny. Glad they didn't have him on with any of the previous people because most of them seem like they'd get real offended based on anything he would have said.

Mr. F

Banned
I like when they can do nights like these because they have a lot of segments and if you don't enjoy one, then another is coming.

Lang is so funny. Glad they didn't have him on with any of the previous people because most of them seem like they'd get real offended based on anything he would have said.

Yeah totally. I thought the Paul Barnett talk was going to be hard to sit through after witnessing some of the mental gymnastics at work but Rami and the others totally saved it.

Paul Barnett embarrassed himself in that segment tonight.

That was absolutely mortifying to watch. I know he probably can't go out there and just fall on his sword, but his attempt to babble on for 10 minutes, dragging the discussion so far away from the actual point of the matter was gross.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Id rather he try to dodge the questions than that weird footwork he put on.

Yeah, it just seems like completely diverting the problem and he treated everyone there like an idiot

AcridMeat

Banned
That's unfortunate to hear, haven't gotten there yet. Though to be honest I always thought he spoke in pretty big hoity toity hyperbole.

edit: RE_Player gets it.

RE_Player

Id rather he try to dodge the questions than that weird footwork he put on.

Yeah, it just seems like completely diverting the problem and he treated everyone there like an idiot
His shtick used to work on the guys when he was somewhat involved with legitimate games but now that he is involved with unredemable garbage it's hard to swallow. It didn't help that the rest of the panel of guests brought excellent points on why mobile games with devious monetizing models are not only toxic to the industry but to the psychological health of the players.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just finished the Barnett segment and didn't think he was as bad as people said. It was really refreshing to hear a well articulated discussion from developers about the problems with free to play. Will save the insane segment for tomorrow.

Well, I completely missed this as it started at 2 AM.

Seems like I got some lolzing to do.

Would have been good if you had let me record the chat, though. I bet things got pretty loopy up in there.

Mr. F

Banned
Well, I completely missed this as it started at 2 AM.

Seems like I got some lolzing to do.

Would have been good if you had let me record the chat, though. I bet things got pretty loopy up in there.

3/4s of the time there was no chat to record. Crashing unstable mess of a system

sixghost

Just finished the Barnett segment and didn't think he was as bad as people said. It was really refreshing to hear a well articulated discussion from developers about the problems with free to play. Will save the insane segment for tomorrow.

The segment wasn't bad, but he was. He never actually addressed the problem with the game, deflected criticism by making reference to nasty things people said in reviews, then somehow concluded that free to play games would be an art form in 5 years. If that was the best defense of the game he could muster, he should have refrained from commenting.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Infamous VR stuff sounded cool as hell.

Race The Sun with eye tracking instead of my shitty fingers......... playing Infamous like Race The Sun with full parkour. HNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

eot

Banned
I listened to the dumptruck with the woman from Microsoft, talking about playtesting. She mentions Arkham City as having the one best first hours of any game she's seen. Personally I thought AC had one of the worst first hours I've played, I almost put the game down because it was so 'hand-holdy'. So screw their playtests.

I listened to the dumptruck with the woman from Microsoft, talking about playtesting. She mentions Arkham City as having the one best first hours of any game she's seen. Personally I thought AC had one of the worst first hours I've played, I almost put the game down because it was so 'hand-holdy'. So screw their playtests.

I actually did put AC down during the first hour when I initially started it at release. Ended up finally picking it up again and finishing it last fall.

valeo

It got a little awkward at the end is all, Dave Lang giving him the drunk stare down.

Most dudes would be awkward next to that.

Lang seems like one of those guys where you never know if hes being serious or not and his goal in life is to make you uncomfortable as fuck.

Max Tempkin seems like a nice enough guy but I never enjoy seeing him during E3 or GDC talks and tonight was no different, especially during that last section. He interupts people way too often.

ArjanN

I thought the linear first bit was well done, until you got to the point where you get to roam the city and suddenly there's 8 side activities all screaming at you for attention. I did like the game when I eventually came back to it, but I still think Arkham Asylum was better.

OatmealMu

Max Tempkin seems like a nice enough guy but I never enjoy seeing him during E3 or GDC talks and tonight was no different, especially during that last section. He interupts people way too often.

His attempted snipe at Ed Boon was cute. Seemed a bit out of his element at the end there, really. When you're indy as fuck the Lang Zone is no place to be.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
So I haven't yet listened to Paul's apparently awful contribution, but just skipping around to see who was there last night and I see he's in his storyteller pose with his dirty shoes up on the couch again.

caleb1915

I felt the same, it didn't seem awkward or hard hitting as everyone on here made it out to be. I mean, the guy sitting next to him (his name escapes me right now) literally said they talked on the matter just before going on the stream.

They made better points, and I think Paul learned something that he didn't really think about beforehand because he saw other games being successful using much more aggressive monetization.

Gah, stopped watching during the Tempkin/Zoe/Phil Fish segment because of boredom and tiredness. Sounds like the last part was pretty hilarious, I'll try and watch the archive later on today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom