• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War - Ghost of Sparta |OT| of TC Carson yelling

Salsa

2ica0j9.png

H0NRl.png

Developers: Ready at Dawn Studios, SCE Santa Monica Studio
Publishers: Sony Computer Entertainment
Director: Dana Jan
Platform: PlayStation Portable
Rating:
- ACB: MA15+
- ESRB: M
Media: UMD, Download

Set in the realm of Greek mythology, God of War: Ghost of Sparta is a single-player game that allows players to take on the powerful role of Spartan warrior Kratos. This new adventure picks up after God of War concludes, telling the story of Kratos' ascension to power as the God of War. In his quest to rid himself of the nightmares that haunt him, Kratos must embark on a journey that will reveal the origins of lost worlds, and finally answer long-awaited questions about his dark past. Armed with the deadly chained Blades of Chaos, he will have to overcome armies of mythological monsters, legions of undead soldiers, and amazingly dangerous and brutal landscapes throughout his merciless quest.

The "Origins" trailer reveals that the relationship between Kratos, his mother, and brother (whose name is revealed to be "Deimos") will also be explored in the game.

The game will feature gameplay similar to previous installments in the series. It is a third-person action adventure game, where the player controls Kratos, containing quick time events, box-based puzzles and boss fights. The game will feature new weapons, magical powers and navigational abilities not present in previous games, and has been cited as featuring 25 percent more gameplay than its PSP predecessor Chains of Olympus.

Kratos' arsenal will include the "Blades of Athena" and the "Arms of Sparta" (a spear and shield). The combat system has been updated to allow Kratos to "pummel enemies to the ground as well as throw them", and perform air-to-air attacks. An "augmented death system" is also being trialled.

The first magic ability confirmed for the game is the electrical attack the "Eye of Atlantis". As with previous games, the weapons and magic can be upgraded.

How is the God of War timeline after this?
God of War: Chains of Olympus
God of War 1
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
God of War 2
God of War 3

What locations will I visit?
Not to give away too much, but you will explore the legendary city of Atlantis and various other locations.

Is there a sex minigame?
What do you think, it's God of War after all!

How long is the Game
The developer said its about 25% longer than Chains of Olympus. So prepare for a 6-8 hour game.

NWtGA.png

god-of-war-ghost-of-sparta-20101013072827118_640w.jpg
god-of-war-ghost-of-sparta-20101013072819666_640w.jpg

god-of-war-ghost-of-sparta-20101013072822869_640w.jpg
god-of-war-ghost-of-sparta-20101013072830603_640w.jpg

god-of-war-ghost-of-sparta-20101013072857554_640w.jpg
god-of-war-ghost-of-sparta-20101013072900960_640w.jpg

e3-2010-god-of-war-ghost-of-sparta-screens-20100615040808020_640w.jpg
god-of-war-returns-to-psp-20100504080115483_640w.jpg

god-of-war-returns-to-psp-20100504080110546_640w.jpg
god-of-war-returns-to-psp-20100504080108452_640w.jpg

Bigger screens and artwork:

Origins Trailer

Redemption Trailer

King Midas Gameplay

ULeBY.png

As a pre-order bonus at select retailers, players will receive the God of War: Ghost of Sparta original soundtrack, a Ghost of Sparta PSP theme and PS3 dynamic theme ("Palace of Hades"), a PlayStation Network Avatar, a Legionnaire Skin for use in-game, and an exclusive documentary, God of War Live; a game directors documentary featuring the game directors of the series, David Jaffe, Cory Barlog, Stig Asmussen, Ru Weerasuiya, and Dana Jan. PSPgo owners must purchase the game between November 2 and 9, 2010 in order to receive the pre-order items.

GameStop also offers an exclusive Challenge arena, "The Forest of the Forgotten", in addition to the other bonues.

For a limited time, specially marked boxes of God of War: Ghost of Sparta will include an exclusive voucher enabling a download of the "Deimos Skin" for use in God of War III. The Deimos Skin will also be available in the PSP bundle pack, with PSPgo owners able to receive the bonus skin via the pre-order item system.

DEGOW32.jpg

och66.png

God of War: Ghost of Sparta Special Edition Bundle - $199.99

gow_gos_bundle.jpg

- Black and Red Two-Toned PSP-3000
- God of War: Ghost of Sparta UMD Game
- God of War: Chains of Olympus PlayStation Network Downloadable Game Voucher
- Kick Ass – UMD Movie
- 2 GB Memory Stick Pro Duo

Yes, there's a trailer for the bundle

Lj3Ue.png

Playstation: The Official Magazine (US) - 10/10

Indeed, Sparta is not only a great PSP game but a great God of War game with an absolutely incredible ending.

Game Informer - 9.5/10

Ghost of Sparta doesn't have any mind-blowing moments of sheer magnitude like the console entries, but it compensates with a handful of cool special sequences that fill in parts of Kratos' history and character.

IGN - 9.5/10

Unbelievably, the developers at Ready at Dawn managed to top what they did with Chains of Olympus, delivering a longer, deeper, and more graphically beautiful game than even they thought was originally possible. Ghost of Sparta is, without a doubt, one of the best games available for the PSP.

GameTrailers - 9.4/10

Fluid combat, well-designed levels, and boss battles that will remind you precisely why you love the series in the first place make Ready at Dawn's second entry in the series a God among portable games.

1UP - A-

Everything is put together so well that, unless you've become truly tired of the franchise, Ghost of Sparta is well worth playing. This portable title, while it may not be the best or most original entry in the series, is more than worthy of the God of War name.

Destructoid - 9/10

It also feels like one of the tightest games in the series, with a satisfying, revealing narrative that a few of the games in the series has lacked.

At E3 2010, God of War: Ghost of Sparta received nine awards, including "Best Handheld Game", "Best PSP Game", and "PSP Game of Show" from various media outlets. The game also received three nominations.

45uhE.png

Screens and FAQ provided by Tryckser (from his original thread).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I loved the first PSP game but I have no interest in getting this at full price. I have no idea why.

Salsa

LiquidMetal14 said:
I left for a bit, what happened to the other OT? Or did Salsa already call it?

HYPED

Oh, there was another thread in the making ?

sorry about that, i saw people on the reviews thread complaining that there wasnt an OT and thought what the hell ill go for it.

Did it real quick, so its not a big deal, if someone was in the process of making another one i could just paste it in the OP, so let me know.

Brannon

As a pre-order bonus at select retailers, players will receive the God of War: Ghost of Sparta original soundtrack, a Ghost of Sparta PSP theme and PS3 dynamic theme ("Palace of Hades"), a PlayStation Network Avatar, a Legionnaire Skin for use in-game, and an exclusive documentary, God of War Live...

So aside from the skin, the avatar and the dynamic theme, the bonuses are something that can be downloaded off the internet or watched on Youtube?

Man, pre-order bonuses have gotten sad this gen.

Brannon said:
So aside from the skin, the avatar and the dynamic theme, the bonuses are something that can be downloaded off the internet or watched on Youtube?

Man, pre-order bonuses have gotten sad this gen.
Don't you also get the exclusive in-game commentary track with Jaffe, Cory Balrog, Stig, Ru and whoever directed this game?

Brannon

I AM JOHN! said:
Don't you also get the exclusive in-game commentary track with Jaffe, Cory Balrog, Stig, Ru and whoever directed this game?

If it's in-game, that's different, but it seems to me that it's just another separate documentary.

UNCyrus

Callibretto said:
how do I get the Deimos skin bonus if I'm planning to buy it from psn? there's a pre-order system for psn?

If you buy the game within the first week via PSN, then you will receive all of the same pre-order bonuses. My guess is that the code will be emailed to the address associated with the account.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Emonga said:
Trust me, it does not look remotely like the shots in the OP on an actual PSP.
No different that Chins of Olympus. I personally think this looks better, based on the screenshots. I know they are bullshots though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
maybe we should have a thread in Online or here where people can claim OT's so there's no confusion

yes?

SRG01

Dammit! I just bought Fallout New Vegas :( Gotta wait a few weeks before I can dip into my gaming budget...

was wondering if a OT was going to be made. cant wait for this to drop on psn today...unfortunately who knows what time sony will update the store :(

Ponn

Banned
Does Gamestop have these in stock for sale today or are they shipping today? Was thinking about stopping after work and picking this up. Was debating between this or Knights in Nightmare for PSP. Both have top notch bonuses.

Just picked up my pre-order and I don't have any of the extra shit besides the deimos skin and gamestop arena thingy... where's the rest of my stuff? I'm fucking sick of being jigged by GS when it comes to PSP pre-orders. The guy had NO IDEA wtf I was talking about. Is it the bundle only? I just got the game.

Alright, this game is fucking Awesome.

too early to start ranking it with the others...Only about an hour in so far, but it is just as epic and fun as any of the others in the series. Pacing is especially good. And some great boss battles/moments already.

Oh, and the music is beyond awesome. I think I can safely say this early on that the Soundtrack is the best of the series so far.

Agent X

I don't know about the Amazon codes, but my code from GameStop didn't work when I last tried it about a half hour ago.

So I should be getting the console tomorrow, depends if I have enough games that I can trade in for a deal.

Any pics of the LE PSP from those who picked it up today?

Agent X

My GameStop code finally went through for me a few minutes ago. Those of you who have been waiting to redeem your preorder DLC codes might want to try again now.

Top Bottom