• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok debuts with 'Neutral' Reviews on Steam over issues

MiguelItUp

You can open other games below minimum requirements, doesnt mean they will run well at all (source: did this a lot before i upgraded my PC)
Very true! But it also means if you run into any issues you shouldn't be too surprised. I've been there as well back with my struggle PC, lol.

squidilix

6zhGBKQpPrlLNI2a7EfALNs1.png

God of War: Ragnarök debuts on PC today with a 22,967 concurrent players peak on Steam so far. God of War (2018) peaked at around 73.5k on Steam at launch.User reviews are mixed with about one third of the reviews complaining about the forced PSN Account requirement.

One of the mai reason gamers are angry is that God of War Ragnarok doesn't run on graphics cards with less than 6 GB of VRAM, mainly affecting GTX 1650 owners

god-of-war-ragnarok-113980.webp
dKtJ6vr.jpeg
But Gaf PC Players told.me everyone have a GPU more powerful than the PS5?
Even a PS4 can play GOW:R well, lol

Orangee

Neo Member
I bought God of War, ready to slay,
But Sony steps in, blocking my way.
"Sign in to PSN," they bark like a beast,
Before I play, they need their feast.

My data’s the sacrifice, not Mjolnir or blades—
Just digits and numbers for their corporate raids.
Email, birthdate, card info too,
All so they can milk a dime out of you.

Screw your "community," your digital sham,
I just wanted to crush gods—not give a damn.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So are the console bros in this thread mad that GOW is getting hammered on the Steam reviews or what? :goog_relieved:

In any case, a bit ballsy so release this at full price imo. Sony should learn that the PC market has much more to offer than the console market, so no surprise at the low ammount of players this is seeing.

MMaRsu

You can make anything up
And still be a godcrusher

Nobody cares
About your actual info

So dont be a clueless bimbo

hinch7

All PS games going forward require a log in now? Would've thought they learned something from that HD 2 debacle.

Sony just continues to blow their own corporate nuts off while the public laughs at them. Total clown show recently.

The hard PSN requirement that leads to them cutting off 160(?) countries of potential customers is such a galaxy brain move that only a room of dumbass MAU obsessed clown-suits could pull. They had a good thing going, but nah... let's destroy it chasing nebulous MAU.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So are the console bros in this thread mad that GOW is getting hammered on the Steam reviews or what? :goog_relieved:

In any case, a bit ballsy so release this at full price imo. Sony should learn that the PC market has much more to offer than the console market, so no surprise at the low ammount of players this is seeing.
Why would they be mad at all the morons who bought it below the min spec? Those are the majority of the complaints. The PSN one is a double edged sword. Both for Sony and consumers.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I would snark about a 1650 being an old ass budget card but this is a game that runs on PS4 and they should absolutely be able to get it working on 4GB.

MMaRsu

Installing now and looking forward to getting into it. The original is the main reason I wanted a 360, so, it'll be cool to check it out again. Whatever changes were made really don't bother me in the slightest, the core game is all still there, and that's what matters most to me.

All PS games going forward require a log in now? Would've thought they learned something from that HD 2 debacle.
Yeah they learned the sales impact is practically zero

MMaRsu

I mean Steam reviews and sales of this game says otherwise. Granted its a sequel.. under a third players on its first game isn't great. Not sure why the overly defensive reply.
Because the game isnt as good, or pc players are just interested in other games. It has nothing to do with geo restrictions

hinch7

Because the game isnt as good, or pc players are just interested in other games. It has nothing to do with geo restrictions
One quick look on Steam reviews and most of the complaints are with a mandatory login. Doesn't have anything to do with the quality of game. People just don't want that, or any more of that. That and this is yet another year or two old port at full price+PSN sign in.

There was a mass exodus of players looking to refund Helldivers 2 once they required a log in so it is a big issue for a lot of players. Before Sony backpedelled and it hasn't really recovered since, at least on PC. In sales. Word of mouth matters on PC and its community.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

People need to realize that a lot of PC gamers don't play graphical heavy games or play old games. Buddy of mine is still rocking a 970 and has absolute no problems playing all the games he likes to play.

So i can see some people in those segments finding 6gb ridiculous high as minimum.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This is where these clowns lose me, as they make Battlenet, Xbox Live, Activision, Ubisoft, etc., accounts with no issue.
You aren’t wrong. I already have a PS account I’ve had for 18 years. On PC though for someone who never had one, that’s yet another account to add to the list. This is honestly ridiculous.

Sony did say that an account was required, so they should have simply skipped the game, but I guess they wanted to make a statement.

Last edited:
I would snark about a 1650 being an old ass budget card but this is a game that runs on PS4 and they should absolutely be able to get it working on 4GB.

So Sony doesn't have the right to choose the minimum spec they want?

Should they ask Steam users next time?

If they ported the PS5 version of the game to PC, PS4 version becomes irrelevant

Last edited:
This game is terrific, and the PC port is mostly superb with plentiful graphics options, super-fast loading times and zero-stuttering on my machine (i5-13600KF, 32 GB, RTX 4080, Windows 11 Pro).

This and the equally amazing Final Fantasy XVI suggest that developers might finally be taking PC gaming seriously after countless months of #StutterStruggle. The game has a few bugs for me such as Reflex not staying enabled (bizarrely, even though I'm using DLSS + Framegen which requires Reflex to be enabled), and the game doesn't seem to close properly on quitting to the desktop, requiring me to have to press the Stop button on Steam. Nothing that ruins the experience though. This certainly isn't another Star Wars Jedi: Survivor PC port travesty.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So Sony doesn't have the right to choose the minimum spec they want?
That's not really the point. The game could run fine without compromises on that hardware, so it's just a matter of allocating the resources for proper optimization. It comes off as lazy not to put that effort in.

MMaRsu

One quick look on Steam reviews and most of the complaints are with a mandatory login. Doesn't have anything to do with the quality of game. People just don't want that, or any more of that. That and this is yet another year or two old port at full price+PSN sign in.

There was a mass exodus of players looking to refund Helldivers 2 once they required a log in so it is a big issue for a lot of players. Before Sony backpedelled and it hasn't really recovered since, at least on PC. In sales. Word of mouth matters on PC and its community.

People are idiots.

They would rather have a mandatory launcher + login like Ubisoft, EA etc..

Than a meaningless login which you can just fill out fake information.

Sony hasn't recovered from what, their best selling game, because there have been no good games since then. God of War doesnt speak to the same amount of people Helldivers 2 did.

Im a 100% pc gamer so I know all about the community, and how childish and stupid they can be. The PSN login is not something crazy. Its been made more than it actually is.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

Too much competition to be releasing 2 year old games at full price with no marketing. Especially these console style games which PC people by and large don't give a shit about, because if they did they would already own a console. I speak for myself, because I don't give a shit about this game. I'm playing Age of Mythology (higher CCU than this) and will be playing Frostpunk 2 which will slaughter this game in terms of CCU.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I hope the game fails on pc; that will discourage PlayStation from releasing more pc ports.
That's exactly what the PC whiners will accomplish by review bombing games for absolutely no reason...

Sony will delay the ports even further....
I agree. Make all 1st party PS games delayed a minimum of 2 years on PC. Sony needs to learn that PC gamers "like" their games, but they don't love them.
Such pathetic fanboys. And you guys are adults. How shameful.

Last edited:

yamaci17

anyone who defends the company is on a wrong mindset. also the "ps4 has 8 gb vram" "5.5 gb vram, higher than 4 gb" is all wrong.
god of war 4 was a game that pushed the ps4 to its limits, that is for sure. I'm sure no one can dispute that. and gow ragnarok practically runs almost equally like gow on ps4. and guess what, the first gow ran just fine on 3-4 GB GPUs as one would expect
while it is true it has 5.5 gb vram usable, which is more than 4 GB, you cannot expect all of it to be GPU bound data. even if we assume a minimum of 1-1.5 gb of data is used for CPU bound purposes, which in most cases, was true for PS4 titles. and that is why practically almost all ps4 titles ran fine on 4 GB GPUs. that CPU bound data on PC can just reside in ample amounts of RAM that is present on most peoples computers. else, it is just a blatant port that is not using resources effectively like it should. there is no point of putting data on VRAM whereas it could be put on RAM without any issues or performance problems. sure they have to do that as a whole approach on console but doesn't mean they have to on PC. and if they could pull it off for gow 4, doesnt make sense they couldnt with ragnarok.

Last edited:

BigBeauford

"They waited to long to port it"!

Ghosts of Tsushima took 2 years longer to port and is doing 3x the CCU and required PSN to access many of its features.

That's different.gif

The gymnastics people are doing to justify why this has been poorly received on PC is amusing. The story was crap, it was boring, and you can close your eyes and ears all you want, but we are still in progress of boycotting SBI related games.

Shodai

They’re doing the mandatory login so they can link something (maybe your purchases) to their pc steam competitor down the road. They want intelligence so they can draw people away from steam.

Last edited:

DanielG165

I hope the game fails on pc; that will discourage PlayStation from releasing more pc ports.
Who does that benefit, other than the billion dollar corporation that couldn’t care less about you if it tried? The prospects made whenever Sony is involved in the conversation are truly mind-numbing.

What hassle does a multi-billion dollar company with a studio whose sole purpose is to port their games to another highly lucrative platform have, exactly?
The constant damage to their reputation. It’s not worth it if you ask me. Constantly bad PR and whining and crying from entitled whiners. I wouldn’t even call these people gamers. I get complaints when a game is legit broken or when a company is doing very anti-consumer things but who picks up a game that runs flawlessly like this and cries about having to make an account that they’ve already been told is required to play the game? What kind of person also is gaming on a GTX1650 in 2024 and expecting every game to run on it?

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Just some random info

The costs listed in this article are a pipe dream. While the article mentions that at team needs access to source, development hardware, and has all applicable licenses covered, they still throw out a small $5000k number for a port.

*IF* that 5k means its an unreal or unity project that you can change a build target, press a button, and do some lite qa testing before submission....which is fucking insane btw.

This is a linked in article aimed at getting this company exposure for their services as a port house who outsources most of their work "overseas", and/or/both wants to have a price out there in case folks are searching for this and they think "holy shit...this is WILDLY affordable for my small indie game...these guys are going to port my cocos 2d based game to Switch and PS and I am going to be RIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCHHHHHH".

They could also ask for a large % on the backend of the ported title, but the port would need to be a guaranteed hit for that to be viable...and if the game is well received enough to be a "guaranteed hit" on another platform then the developer/publisher would have way more negotiating power with the port house.

Last edited:

nikos

Same shit, different release. People never learn.

Crying over needing an account. Make one or don’t buy the game.

People complaining because it doesn’t run on their potato PC. “But ThIS iS tHE mOsT UseD GPU oN sTeAm.” Yeah, and the Toyota Camry is one of the most popular cars.

At least rate the game poorly because modern God of War is garbage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom