• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok debuts with 'Neutral' Reviews on Steam over issues

Cakeboxer

I thought everyone had a high-end gaming PC.
And maybe you are right. It started with the PS community who all had a high end pc after Xbox announced every game for pc and now that almost every PS game will be on pc the whole Xbox community has a high end pc as well. Not sure about the Nintendo community though, but they seem to be pretty sane so i guess they won't lie about that.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Just some random info

Cheers, i was looking for inforamtion on Sony ports and came across this:

mN4jXS0.png

Not sure how accurate it is but still pretty cheap to make these ports, although it does look like cost are going up a tad. Still they don't need to sell much at all to break even.

Got some receipts? Curious to see just how much Sony is making on these ports because a lot of them don't seem to be worth the time on face value.
The insomniac leak had a lot of numbers from budgets to sale numbers as well as public information that Sony releases about their FY.

Cheers, i was looking for inforamtion on Sony ports and came across this:

mN4jXS0.png

Not sure how accurate it is but still pretty cheap to make these ports, although it does look like cost are going up a tad. Still they don't need to sell much at all to break even.
Still need to factor in how many sales they lose when people dont buy the game for the console but rather on pc.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The insomniac leak had a lot of numbers from budgets to sale numbers as well as public information that Sony releases about their FY.

man bought receipts

Creeping Oh Yeah GIF by Domino’s UK and ROI

Thebonehead

zlCBIxr.jpeg

Yea if that happens, something's wrong with the game. 4GB 1650 is borderline stupid to even try to play this, but 24GB GPU is like 3090, 4090 or 7900 XTX iirc?
Might not have a page file set. Some programs try to allocate virtual memory even if you have plenty of ram.

See below from Star Citizen. It told me I was out of system memory and just needed a measly 16777 petabytes of memory.

Turning the page file back on fixed it.

Well that would be good if I could even get 25 minutes of gameplay out of it.

lol - Analysing the latest crash shows me that 32GB isn't enough.

Is out of system memory: Yes
- Out of system memory message: Out of system memory. Failed to allocate 16777215.9 TB (18446744073709551615).
Is out of video memory: No

clarky

Gold Member

Cheers. Seems like a decent enough ROI, without damaging their core business by anything significant. Seems like a no brainer looking at the figures.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This game is from 2013 hardware, tech from 11 years ago.
The game was made with the lowest console with lower textures and having 8 gigs total ram and very little overhead. You dont know how much of that ram was used for vram. Game code takes up a very minimal amount.

Last edited:
Honest review of port.
1) There is no difference between God of War and God of War Ragnarok in term of graphic.
2) Ragnarok takes Vram usage to nearly 9 GB Vram on DLAA 1440P ultra.
3) Ragnarok has nearly zero stutter maybe due to dx12 shader compilation compare to God of War, which uses DX11.
4) Ragnarok has occupies space nearly 175GB compare to God of War, which took 68 GB (However i am amazed as there is zero graphical difference between both.)

Boss Mog

Fix the 4gb vram ngc please i paid to play, i waited for two months for a game that runs on ps4 to simply not run on a mid end pc. THIS IS A LACK OF RESPECT FOR THE CONSUMER
The entitlement level of these PC players is off the charts. "mid-end PC"? Just stfu please. My 8 year old GTX 1080 is more than twice as fast as your 1650. 1650 is EXTREME low-end PC.

sainraja

This is where these clowns lose me, as they make Battlenet, Xbox Live, Activision, Ubisoft, etc., accounts with no issue.
Seems like a silly thing to complain about but in fairness it is one more account that they are now required to sign up for. If the same people are not complaining about having to sign up for those other accounts when games that require them release, then they are just being hypocritical or there is another agenda at play.

SBI? No buy

Bring us Astrobot.
Given how much people on the PC complain and moan, they will likely do the same for Astrobot.

sainraja

Exactly. Sony should have required a PSN account for their PC games from the start and probably should've made a PS Store for PC as well.
Since they didn't start with requiring it, perhaps a better approach would have been to offer incentives for linking their PS accounts and then eventually require it. In other words, move slowly towards requiring it.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Maybe this is why the marketing and advertising felt so lacking? I'm sure it'll get worked out, but come on devs, make your games work as intended on launch. Why does it feel so hard to do these days?

Edit: I didn't realize a lot of people that are having "issues" were below spec, lmao.

Last edited:
People complaining about PSN sign in are just going over the top imo. It's not a separate launcher with shitty UI and sluggish menus slowing down your pc. It's a pop-up to sign in like Xbox games have on PC, with an overlay you never have to see or touch. Yes, setting up an account the 1 and only time can take a couple of minutes, but it's not life or death.
Yeah, it would be nice to click play, and that's it, but this is nothing in comparison, and it seems people are just acting entitled. Leaving a negative review for this minor thing vs. overall gaming experience is not a "protest", it's being a baby. I hate DRM as it punishes people who buy the game, not the pirates. I hate separate launchers, as already mentioned. Did people download Steam at the start and cry that they had to sign up ONCE?

People saying porting to PC is bad are little gatekeeping losers. Sony makes money, and other people experience some great games. Grow up.

The odd deluded person thinking a GPU from so long ago should run a new release because they think using Windows = I've a gaming PC and then cry and act being offended by it need to go have a nap or something.

The game itself, I'm only an hour in, but it definitely looks even better than the first. Textures seem higher on their skin, especially. Performance has been smooth for me, too. I have seen comments here that it gets boring after a certain point, but I'll have to wait and see. I really liked the first game in this reboot / alt take, so I'm hoping for a fun ride.

BigBeauford

Seems like a silly thing to complain about but in fairness it is one more account that they are now required to sign up for. If the same people are not complaining about having to sign up for those other accounts when games that require them release, then they are just being hypocritical or there is another agenda at play.

Given how much people on the PC complain and moan, they will likely do the same for Astrobot.
Folks showed up for Helldivers, Ghosts, GoW, and even Horizon to an extent. Only game that got done dirty by the players was Sackboy. Y'all are missing out on one of the best platformers ever. And the coop is great!

Normally I would complain if a game is really badly optimized but it's not really the case with Ragnarok. The expectation that this should be able to run on a 4gb GPU is not really that much of criticism. Yes, the graphics aren't much better than 2016 but anyone who has played it knows that the worlds are several times larger. Maybe the developer could have included a potato mode but they don't have to.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Try to filter from places outside of America and you should see it:
Eh, havent checked reddit and Im not American and most of my steam negative reviews are about the PSN. The VRAM thing has already been bypassed. Not saying yo should delete the VRAM but ppl in this thread are focusing way too much on that when the real complaints are about PSN more so. At the very least add some of the PSN complaints from the top steam reviews.

MiguelItUp

It does run as intended? What do you mean?
Referring to the reported issues people are having?

Complaints are because of people who bought the game below minimum requirements and forced PSN Requirement:

Try to filter from places outside of America and you should see it:

Oh, nevermind. So these people just didn't read and expected things to go well? Disregard my previous comment, lmao.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Referring to the reported issues people are having?

Oh, nevermind. So these people just didn't read and expected things to go well? Disregard my previous comment, lmao.

You can open other games below minimum requirements, doesnt mean they will run well at all (source: did this a lot before i upgraded my PC)

Top Bottom