• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Dead Man

Metalmurphy said:
No. It seems the Driver's Club really is for US only...

FIX THIS SHIT PD!

The EU news however says we'll may get new Special Events in the future, but I'm sure those won't be EU exclusive, and they'll notify us on the news section when they arrive.
Oh for fucks sake., This shit is getting old.

Toxa said:
Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car #91 '00 1,998,280

buy it, Team Oreca FTW this car is insanely good

I bought that along w/ the other 3.

My Lvl 16 B-Spec Bob managed to win the Historic Racing Car Cup last night (easily). Smoked 'em w/ the 2J. Had an early wreck on Cote d'Azur (the chicane) but came back convincingly to win. He drives like a beast.

Dibbz

What ever happened to the day night version of the top gear test track? Also why can't we have the full runway strip unlocked like it was shown? Anyone know what's up with it?

wmplayer200906022307099.png

Dibbz said:
What ever happened to the day night version of the top gear test track? Also why can't we have the full runway strip unlocked like it was shown? Anyone know what's up with it?

[]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3042/wmplayer200906022307099.png[/]

That actually shows up in the X1 intro, I'm not even sure it's the Top Gear track.

Dibbz

I thought it had been confirmed as top gear, since the track is based around a runway strip. If I recall the first few licence challenges were on the top gear track without the track layout cones, like in that screenshot. Also there was a wet version, didn't look wet tbh though.

Would be nice if we got an update that added the day night and weather to it.

Dibbz said:
I thought it had been confirmed as top gear, since the track is based around a runway strip. If I recall the first few licence challenges were on the top gear track without the track layout cones, like in that screenshot. Also there was a wet version, didn't look wet tbh though.

Would be nice if we got an update that added the day night and weather to it.

Yeah but the Red Bull Hangar also has a strip and has a day/night cycle. It think it's that.

SmokyDave

Metalmurphy said:
Yeah but the Red Bull Hangar also has a strop and has a day/night cycle. It think it's that.
I'm with you. The colouring of the lights on the strip matches the hangar.

I have my PS3 back! Hooray! I've done some serious GT5'ing this week. I'm sure it looks better than it did back in December. Even the shadows seem a lot better than they were.

Thank goodness for the seasonal events. I'm back up to level 25 after doing those, I thought starting again was going to take forever. I'd love to see some B-Spec seasonal events too.

cilonen

avaya said:
I despise B-spec on a deep deep deep level. I need to do Le Mans nearly 10 times to get to Lvl40 from 35.

2/11 here. Really tempted to give up. Nurburgring 24h is my only thing left in B-spec.

cilonen

Dead Man said:
So I just had a demo play of cars racing on a massive bridge... where is this supposed to be, and why can't I race on there?

Was it at night? If so it's probably Special Stage Route 7, accessible in practise or online but not in any A-spec or B-spec events. It's based on the infamous bayside (wangan) expressway in Tokyo.

UFRA

Well this sucks, I was looking forward to the new events today.

Says 9AM CST and it's 3PM CST now. :/

Either it's going to be a day late, or they maybe meant next wednesday? lol

UFRA said:
Well this sucks, I was looking forward to the new events today.

Says 9AM CST and it's 3PM CST now. :/

Either it's going to be a day late, or they maybe meant next wednesday? lol

I think the new schedule will only apply on the next seasonals. Today is gonna be at 3AM GMT again.

Shaneus

avaya said:
Have not touched the game in 2 days now because of this.
Same here. Actually, I tell a lie... I briefly did the highest yield seasonal but that's because I had to do *something*. I've been managing both my brother's and my own B-spec for the last week or so (we live next to each other). You should NOT have to repeat any levels in any game AT ALL to move onto the next level. Progression should be perfectly matched.

I've done the 'Ring 4-hour maybe 5-6 times and I've just kicked off my fourth Tsukuba 9-hour before I came into work. The design choices in this game sometimes make me want to cry.

Dibbz

Made a visit to the Used Cars today and found two great cars.

5391621304_7af51829b7_b.jpg

Only done a few laps in this but it's awesome. Love it.

5391621314_2a1f49f0a9_z.jpg

Tail happy is an understatement. Car just doesn't want to go straight.

5391621322_c06c03bac3_b.jpg

It does go backwards quite well though :lol

Rflagg

brentech said:
Yeah, spent some time going through getting a bunch done yesterday and a bit today. Think I still have 5 more to go. Some are pretty sweet looking.
I have them all, but most of them have just the mod done and nothing else atm. It was kind of a bummer they didn't allow the race mod versions in seasonal events would have been my first run with the Lotus post race mod. Wish they would work and creating more cars that could get the race mods.

Edit: Bah I meant Lotus. High five Dibbz, just got the yellowbird the other day.

brentech

I now own the the standard and RM version of all 18 cars that are capable. Along with that though, I've bought all the extra parts for each of the RM cars that are non-removable (basically that means no engine tuning, since they do the weight reductions on RMs. I just don't like non-removable parts as it limits your car selection if you can't de-tune something).
Some of the cars look really bad ass with their RM done.

Was a little disappointed that a large amount of the able cars are Chevy's though. They need to add in more diversity. I did like that the RM done to the Lexus IS F essentially looks like the car Kaz drove at 24h 'ring.

Rflagg said:
I have them all, but most of them have just the mod done and nothing else atm. It was kind of a bummer they didn't allow the race mod versions in seasonal events would have been my first run with the Lotus post race mod. Wish they would work and creating more cars that could get the race mods.

Edit: Bah I meant Lotus. High five Dibbz, just got the yellowbird the other day.
lol - didn't even see your post until after I created mine. Just pure coincidence that we both updated on the same subject around the same time.

Rflagg

brentech said:
I now own the the standard and RM version of all 18 cars that are capable. Along with that though, I've bought all the extra parts for each of the RM cars that are non-removable (basically that means no engine tuning, since they do the weight reductions on RMs. I just don't like non-removable parts as it limits your car selection if you can't de-tune something).
Some of the cars look really bad ass with their RM done.

Was a little disappointed that a large amount of the able cars are Chevy's though. They need to add in more diversity. I did like that the RM done to the Lexus IS F essentially looks like the car Kaz drove at 24h 'ring.
In gt2 my favorite thing was taking a car that had no earthly business being race modded and throwing the kit onto it. Hopefully, we get a huge amount more with future dlc. I really love the look and idea of the full blow race car coming form a normal one.

Massa

Seasonal 6 is up. From MrDinosaw94 at GTPlanet:

Seasonal Event 6 is up. Tuning restrictions are still set to off
The bonus races are:
a race in the suzuki cappucino @ SSR5 with 150,000CR & 20000XP reward
a race in the Mazda MX5 @ Tsukaba with 300,000CR & 50000XP reward
a race in the Skyliner Sedan 350GT @ Trial mountain with 550,000CR & 70000XP reward
a race in the Ferraro 430 Scuderia @ monza with 1000,000CR & 90000XP reward
a race in the Chevrolet Corvette (any) @ Indy with 1.5 millionCR & 120,000XP reward

The drift challenges are:
Deep forest
Grand valley east
(neither have any car requirements, so prepare for X1 invasion)

The Time Trials are:
1980 & Earlier american cars @ laguna seca
French Cars & Rome

Online Collectors Dealership:
Corvette GRAND SPORT
Corvette Z06 (C5)
Corvette Stingray (C3)
Corvette ZR1 (C4)
Corvette Coupe (C2)
Corvette Convertible (C1)
Nissan Skyline pace car
TVR Cerbera speed 12
Lancia stratos
FGT
Bentley speed 8
Sauber mercedes

I just noticed someone post about GT5 being "hacked" in the PS3 firmware thread. What's that about? Modifying game saves / playing online with overpowered cars or something?

brentech

Psychotext said:
I just noticed someone post about GT5 being "hacked" in the PS3 firmware thread. What's that about? Modifying game saves / playing online with overpowered cars or something?
Whether it's happening to GT5 or not, I hope they ban hacked systems from the PSN.
I really don't give a shit what self entitlement people have to their systems. The end game is that hacked systems inevitably tear communities apart.

Psychotext said:
Hacked saves for now.

Shaneus

I'm sure hacked saves means only increasing money/car collection locally... something that could be done fairly painlessly with glitching via saves/gifting anyway. It's only when they start modifying specs that I'll be getting pissed off.

Though the idea of having a Clio that drives like an X1 is an amazing thought.

brentech

UFRA said:
WOW, I lucked out on this seasonal race.

I own 4 out of the 5 cars needed already. That means those prizes are almost all 100% profit for me. :D
Yeah, same here. Just launched and played one of them while just checking the others. Had all but the Ferrari.
On previous Seasonals they'd say the model of car, but didn't allow RMs. This one my Suzuki and Corvette RM cars showed up on selectable list so I'm pumped to just drive them as I've not even tested them yet.
I used my RM Suzuki which was quite funny, looks so devilish in comparison to it's normal self, with all 115BHP under the hood. Actually kind of looks like a Miata now.

Soo many cars I own but have never driven, kind of sad. And yet like 700 cars to go....

Shaneus

Psychotext said:
Cool, as long as online is still safe I'm ok with that.
Well, it was an assumption, but I'm assuming a fairly safe one. Pretty sure that if saves are hacked with changing specs of cars, there'd be checksums and calculations up the wazoo to make sure that doesn't happen.

I hope.

TTG

Shaneus said:
Any 'Vette? Sounds like another job for the RM!

PS. GT5 hacking? Link?

Don't make the same mistake I did, put the RM'd vette on street tires in hope of getting a little challenge. Fucked the car up so bad I almost cried, reset to race tires and lapped most of the field, felt better about the car again.

Dead Man

cilonen said:
Was it at night? If so it's probably Special Stage Route 7, accessible in practise or online but not in any A-spec or B-spec events. It's based on the infamous bayside (wangan) expressway in Tokyo.
Just had a look, and that's exactly what it was, thanks!

UFRA

Well, thanks to Bonus Race 6 I made it to level 30 and got to the X1 challenges. :D

Took me about 30 minutes to get bronze on Nurburgring GP. I ran a 2:14.243, under the 2:14.500 requirement lol.

That thing is just amazing. I think Nurburgring GP would be the hardest of the 3 tracks. I tried Monza quick before I quit and already was just a couple seconds off of bronze. Should have that easily. Suzuka will be tough too, but it has less crazy camber in the track so that's good.

TTG

Anyone know if the Sauber C9 or the Bentley Speed 8 are noticeably faster than the Minolta? I suppose I have nothing else that's remotely interesting to spend money on(unless it's a Ferrari formula car!) Anyway, I wouldn't mind owning the fastest non formula car in the game.

Both are in the online dealer currently, if anyone is wondering.

UFRA

TTG said:
Anyone know if the Sauber C9 or the Bentley Speed 8 are noticeably faster than the Minolta? I suppose I have nothing else that's remotely interesting to spend money on(unless it's a Ferrari formula car!) Anyway, I wouldn't mind owning the fastest non formula car in the game.

I own both the Sauber and the Minolta. Without any modifications to either, I managed to set a 1 second quicker lap time with the Sauber on the Top Gear Test Track lol.

I didn't do any scientific tests though. I'd say they're pretty close.

amar212

TTG said:
Anyone know if the Sauber C9 or the Bentley Speed 8 are noticeably faster than the Minolta?

I presume not much if any, Minolta is a one of a kind beast. Maybe C9 could go near, but it heavily depends on setup.

However, both of those - together with the TVR Speed 12 currently at the OCD - are beautiful and crazy-handling cars, all of 3 very rare in usual UCD roulette.

But them just for the sake of sounds, crazy advanced handling and some Race PhotoMode galore.

Dead Man

TTG said:

To my mind the Sauber is slightly faster than the Minolta, but setups could swing that either way I think. The Speed 8 I have not driven yet.

Shaneus

I've just heard from my brother (who's b-speccing like a motherfucker) that from 35->40 you need to do TWELVE 24-hour races to get there. That equates to leaving your PS3 on for almost two weeks STRAIGHT.

Who the fuck thought of this shit?

TTG

I'll think about the Sauber then, thanks. I wish there was something to do with these cars. I put about 300 miles on the Puegueot FAP, but that's just in practice mode. I still like the idea of cockpit mode in an open wheel formula car, maybe I'll get the f2007 instead. Something is off with X1's cockpit. Either way, I don't want to drive that thing again, not after the Vettel challenge.

Obviously, it's not taking too much work to get the seasonal events up. I don't know why they couldn't put up something requiring the exotic stuff. Why not? Something requiring all 3 of the premium Le Mans prototypes, something longer and more competitive rather than license test-esque. Like the Super GT challenge in A-spec, something that requires a pit stop.

The only highlight of round 6 was the f430 Scuderria. I bought it as soon as I completed the license test that featured it. Awesome car. Perfect driver position in cockpit mode, bright gauges. Then you take a look behind you and there's that perfectly modeled V8. No drivetrain work and it revs so easily up to 9k and the gears seem perfect stock. Gets a little oversteer and a little understeer, nothing annoying, just enough to have some fun with the car. Too bad that last turn heading into the main straight at Monza exposes a somewhat inconsistent rumble system gt5 has(at least on a pad). When it works, it's great. But at times, like that turn, the front end will start to drift on you under throttle and there's absolutely no feedback from the controller, you have to operate by sight alone. It's a little offputting too because you figure it must be something minor and you'll power out of it, next thing you know you're trying to stay on the road.

Getting this "Air of experience" trophy is taking forever. :(

I don't even think using the same driver all the way to level 40 would have helped as I'm so far past that now that it's just not funny.

Top Bottom