• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

TTG

magawolaz said:
New Seasonal online, "Real Circuit Tours"; 750pp, the IA uses Race Cars. No new OCD or TimeTrials/Drift :(

Just went through Suzuka with a stock 787B on race hard tires... all the right opponents are there. Minolta, Sauber etc. They're fast enough to keep it interesting, I wouldn't expect a real challenge considering the amount of time I've put into both that track and car though.

This is probably the third best seasonal I've seen, behind only the f1 and "pro" challenges, really cool! I can finally use all those expensive race cars I bought. :D

h3ro said:
If you're referring to the hubs over the wheels with the BBS design drawn on it, that is actually the way they were raced. The wheel disks were used as an aero device to increase brake cooling.

48hVp.jpg

You're definitely right in the downgrade in fidelity though.

no just the quality.

i knew they raced with the wheel covers, but polyphony didn't model premium versions and just reused the ugly standard tyre and wheels on the premium:

lGIMJ.gif

fEO5A.jpg

madness when the prologue tyre and wheel is 3x the quality.

Quattro GmbH, a subsidiary of AUDI AG, has built a simulator sporting the style of the Audi R8 LMS for the Cologne games convention, Gamescom. In the Audi R8 LMS Racing Simulator, players can experience Gran Turismo 5 as if they were in a real-world race car. The presentation was accompanied by racer Christopher Mies, who became the European Gran Turismo 3 champion in the Audi R8 LMS.

Quattro GmbH built this with a bucket seat like one found in the real GT3 race car. A co-driver can share the experience because a second seat shell is installed in the cockpit. A cage that has been simplified compared to the real one makes it easier for the players to get in and out.

Once Gran Turismo racing starts, the instruments with all relevant game data show on the original racing display. The authentic race steering wheel is connected to the PlayStation 3, as well. When the driver turns the wheel, the impulses are transmitted by steering angle sensors in real time. The paddle shifters in the steering wheel also address the microprocessor and issue shifting commands to the computer. The same applies to the pedals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERwUj3kgUEQ

As you could tell from the video, the vehicle dynamics effects are the main highlight. Instead of the standard springs and dampers, the suspensions are controlled by pneumatic cylinders, allowing body movements of up to 150 millimeters to be simulated. The physics of driving are felt in the cockpit, and the player has the feeling of actually driving a race. He or she feels all the centrifugal forces while cornering, braking and accelerating.

“We built up the base vehicle for the simulator within six weeks,” explains Jürgen Zürn, Head of Test and Production of quattro GmbH. “For many fans, playing a game that is as advanced as Gran Turismo 5 in our race car will no doubt be a unique experience.”

Xun

Wax Free Vanilla said:
this is true, this is very true. :(

polyphony are one arsed backwards developer, who else consistently downgrades the visual quality of their games?

dczKa.gif

(is the image showing properly? looks shit for me in firefox but normal in photoshop)

i still can't believe they put the psp f1 2007 quality wheels and tyres on the gt5 premium version, lol.

an absolute joke.
What the fuck?

This legit?

TTG

I'm really enjoying the new seasonal, going through it for a second time now with some different cars. Staying with stock cars and race hard tires, it's loads of fun without being frustrating. It's a real lesson in overtaking though, I've fucked up so many races because there's just no room to get around cars on the ring or even certain parts on Suzuka, it's hard not to be super aggressive.

DonMigs85

TTG said:
I'm really enjoying the new seasonal, going through it for a second time now with some different cars. Staying with stock cars and race hard tires, it's loads of fun without being frustrating. It's a real lesson in overtaking though, I've fucked up so many races because there's just no room to get around cars on the ring or even certain parts on Suzuka, it's hard not to be super aggressive.
Mine aren't entirely stock, I do the Chassis Reinforcement and do the Stage 3 Engine tune if it's available. I also slap on a Turbo or Supercharger if PP goes up.

You are aware that none of the wheels in standard cars are actually standard right Wax?

Those are not the PSP wheels

GT4 - GT5 Standard - GT5 Premium
hBEms.jpg
8ZWje.jpg
iRzsR.jpg

Funnily enough GT5 Standard is actually more detailed then the premium, probably because the rest of the car doesn't push any polygons. The point is, this is GT5, not GT5P, changes were made to the engine, and everywhere else. For example do the tires even get dirty in GT5P, iirc they don't.

Az

It's Friday night, anyone wants to do a few races, maybe just cruise around with GAF folk? Someone start a room...

TTG

Why won't the online dealer update? I was expecting all sorts of Le Mans prototypes to dump all my money on. Hurry up!

Niks

Looking around in the Forza 4 pre-release thread...

and I gotta say, PD really knocked it out of the park with the lighting engine in GT5, FM4 comes close, but still doesn't match GT5 in the looks department.

T10 knocked it off the park withe the Top Gear license though lol.

Remember when I said they would on the NRL chat? Yep.

Take notes PD. For real this time.

Mobius 1

TheAzRim said:
It's Friday night, anyone wants to do a few races, maybe just cruise around with GAF folk? Someone start a room...

I'd like to. Diid you make a room? Shoot me a PSN invite, username is the same as GAF.

fu3lfr3nzy said:
I think its due to the nonadjustable 900 degree steering (which also applies in most race cars in the game afaik)

yes, this is correct.

another downgrade from prologue which had an option to make the steering more responsive. it's impossible to match this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY35Zs14KL4 in gt5 due to the dumb decision to remove it.

looks amazing, but polyphony also removed all those lovely filters and the superior replay t-cam position for gt5 :(

elohel

So how do I know what settings to use for this game? tires etc I'm trying to do the gt all stars a spec event and I can't figure out which car suits me best lol how do i find the sweet spot I guess with the car and configured settings?

mclaren777

Quote said:
Is rally with a wheel (G27) completely impossible? What am I missing here?
I didn't have a problem with it on stock settings.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
i still can't believe they put the psp f1 2007 quality wheels and tyres on the gt5 premium version, lol.

dczKa.gif
I'm far more annoyed by the plugged off airbox.

TTG

Got first on Suzuka for the first time today with a ROAD car in the new seasonal. Used a Mclaren F1 with race softs, no aids and a controller. Nothing overly impressive, but fun to do if you guys want a little challenged. I failed before with an Enzo, a Speed 12 and a road version of some Le Mans Nissan.

The only blemish is that the starting positions were Toyota 7, Sauber, Hybride Pescy. If the Minolta was there and had no slower cars in its way over the first lap or whatever, it would have been harder, but still very possible. I was still over 2 seconds a lap quicker on average than the Sauber when we were 1st and 2nd though, got him on the 4th lap. Ran something like a 9.22 flat.

TTG

elohel said:
So how do I know what settings to use for this game? tires etc I'm trying to do the gt all stars a spec event and I can't figure out which car suits me best lol how do i find the sweet spot I guess with the car and configured settings?

Try different cars/set ups? There are a lot more cars in GT5 than events to use them, even with the online seasonal stuff. I wouldn't worry at all about money either, these new online events pay off at a half a mil a race, with the La Sarthe Ferrari event, that's half a mil every 4 minutes, if you can stand the grind.

My only advice would be, do not install upgrades you can not undo if you like the way a car behaves! That includes extensive weight reduction and any engine tuning and even the stupid chassis reinforcement. I've had to buy a couple of cars twice because of this. The important stuff to play around with is tires, aero(spoilers), trans, and bolt ons(intake, exhaust, turbos). Suspension tuning can get a little complicated.

Goldrusher

2011 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
Gran Turismo Award
winner

Karim Edde’s 1960 Plymouth XNR Ghia Roadster

Fresh out of restoration, it was last car designed by supremo Virgil Exner before he left Chrysler and was once owned by a Kuwaiti oil Sheikh who was pictured driving it across the desert in National Geographic in the late 1960s as part of an exposé about the waste of oil.

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/news/classic-car-events/radical-french-saloon-scoops-pebble

At Pebble Beach:

JoaoV.jpg

Old photo:

4101047623_0677c6f08f_o.jpg

Angst

Goldrusher said:
2011 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
Gran Turismo Award
winner

Karim Edde’s 1960 Plymouth XNR Ghia Roadster

At Pebble Beach:

JoaoV.jpg

Old photo:

4101047623_0677c6f08f_o.jpg
Kaz also tweeted that the winner would be featured in "Then next Gran Turismo", whatever that means.

Niks

sigh...
I get that they are unique and rare cars and all, but I rather PD spend their scarce time on cars the fans really want, not some obscure pos car you are most likely will drive only once in the game.

Niks

Metalmurphy said:
Well, the 1965 Alfa Romeo TZ2 is a blast to drive imo.

Im not saying the Miura and the TZ2 arent good choices...
What I meant is theres so many "must have" cars that should be premium first instead of a 1952 1500 Biposto Bertone.

Just a few to mention.

- Jaguar E-type
- Lamborghini Countach
- Ferrari 250 GTO
- Aston Martin DB5
- Lancia Stratos
- Bugatti EB110
- 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback

These are cars that are cult classics/legends in their own right, who made their mark on automotive history. It baffles me why these cars are not included as premium models.

Syn23

I'm expecting no standard cars in the next GT (even if there will always be a little difference in quality between models, like for example the difference between Ferrari F40 and, let's say, Suzuki Swift, or other less detailed Premium cars).

So IMHO, the question is if the cars you mentioned will be in the game or not.

That said, I've never seen that Plymouth before, it would be cool to know a little more about it.

I doubt it.

Maybe they won't be drivable, but they'll be there in some way or the other. There's no way they're just gonna get rid of their 1000+ car collection and all their info.

I'm expecting them to convert some standards to premiums, and add a lot of new premiums.

Is anyone still playing this in B-Spec mode, i just got around to setting up and understanding how the Remote Play works but now i need friends and im forever alone :(, add me or let me know your IDs so i can add you!!

psnid: Cygnuz

Syn23

Metalmurphy said:
I doubt it.

Maybe they won't be drivable, but they'll be there in some way or the other. There's no way they're just gonna get rid of their 1000+ car collection and all their info.

I'm expecting them to convert some standards to premiums, and add a lot of new premiums.

It depends on the platform too. If we're getting the next GT on PS4 (leaving Vita aside for the moment), I think it will no longer be acceptable to have that, already ugly, standards models in the game.
So I hope they will choose wisely which cars to upgrade to premium (and for some of them the work is actually going to be not so long), and cut out all the unneeded ones. I honestly think that, let's say 200 or 300 cars will be ok for GT6. Obviously it could be called "GT6 Prologue" or something like that, and I'm assuming we will not see any other major release on PS3 (maybe there will be a "GT5 Spec II" or "GT5 Ultimate Edition" in 2012 but I'm not expecting too much).

Question for anyone with over 1000 cars in your garage.

Do you find that online is almost unplayable after a while now? Mine seems to lag out after each successive entry into my garage (to pick a car, change settings, whatever)? I'll do maybe 5 races, but after that, trying to get into the garage takes a good 3-4 minutes, and even just returning to the lobby will bring up the 'clock' cursor and sit there for again, 3-4 minutes.

Can't even make the race starts any more.

zephervack said:
Is anyone still playing this in B-Spec mode, i just got around to setting up and understanding how the Remote Play works but now i need friends and im forever alone :(, add me or let me know your IDs so i can add you!!

psnid: Cygnuz

I'll add you up tonight, man. Recently unshared all my B-spec drivers as they hadn't been used in ages, but I'll put them back online. Or if you want you can add me now, PSN ID: MarvelScottyB

-Deadpool- said:

Do you find that online is almost unplayable after a while now? Mine seems to lag out after each successive entry into my garage (to pick a car, change settings, whatever)? I'll do maybe 5 races, but after that, trying to get into the garage takes a good 3-4 minutes, and even just returning to the lobby will bring up the 'clock' cursor and sit there for again, 3-4 minutes.

Seems like a random glitch. It started happening to me after 1.10. Don't think it's related to the number of cars although that makes the problem worst.

Metalmurphy said:
Seems like a random glitch. It started happening to me after 1.10. Don't think it's related to the number of cars although that makes the problem worst.

I've tried clearing the cache and turning off all the music etc.. To no avail though.

Ah well, if it's something others are experiencing, at least there's hope it may get fixed in the upcoming fixes patch (that can't be too far away now, surely).

6for8

-Deadpool- said:

I have almost 1200 cars now and online is rubbish for me as well. Lucky if I can change my car a couple of times before it lags out. I have reinstalled the game with no effect. It's as if the game is loading my entire car list to the server.

I have created a new subaccount for online racing and stocked it with about 50+ cars and it never crashes or lags. Same PS3 and internet, only difference is the amount of cars.

If you create a new account and need some tickets for cars over a million, feel free to add me. I have tickets for every car (-vettel).

Angst

6for8 said:
I have almost 1200 cars now and online is rubbish for me as well. Lucky if I can change my car a couple of times before it lags out. I have reinstalled the game with no effect. It's as if the game is loading my entire car list to the server.

I have created a new subaccount for online racing and stocked it with about 50+ cars and it never crashes or lags. Same PS3 and internet, only difference is the amount of cars.

If you create a new account and need some tickets for cars over a million, feel free to add me. I have tickets for every car (-vettel).
Have they removed the 1 million Cr limit for trades / gifts?

spats

Official post for the NASCAR seasonal.

Beginning 4.00 BST/5.00 CET on August 30, a special NASCAR-themed online racing event will be held. Users who compete and win at these events will be awarded the 2010 racing suit and helmet of NASCAR star Jeff Gordon for use with their in-game drivers as a prize.

Enjoy this special race event, and don’t miss the chance to unlock this very special prize.

photo1a.jpg

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/d31831.html

Angst

spats said:
Official post for the NASCAR seasonal.
So that means we can actually win JG's helmet and suit, there was some discussion before if we would ever be able to win Vettel's outfit and this pretty much confirms that we sometime will be able to do just that.

Ardenyal

Does that mean that seasonals will become online events, or am i just too hopeful D:

Edit: Probably just wonky translation...

Angst

Ardenyal said:
Does that mean that seasonals will become online events, or am i just too hopeful D:

Edit: Probably just wonky translation...
I think they call them online events as you have to be online (as in connected to the net and logged in to your PSN account) to do the events. During PSapocalypse Seasonal Events were not available as far as I remember.

Top Bottom