• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Metalmurphy said:
I thought you could with the fully customizable transmission kit oO

In my playing the only thing I have been able to do is adjust the final speed of the gears. I remember in GT2 and 3 (the last ones I played before this) I could set my gear 1 to ridiculous levels if I wanted. So far I haven't been able to do this.

Am I missing something or can you only do it on racing modded cars / cars that are specifically for racing?

darkwing

KingOfKong said:
Is there a benefit to leveling up multiple B-spec drivers at once or should I focus just on one? I am just now getting into the B-spec part of the game and actually enjoying it. Not sure if losses matter, my driver is not the most consistent guy. He is either going nuts and fishtailing around corners one race and then the next he will be afraid to pass somebody :lol . Anyhow, any tips on b-spec would be great!

there will be game days that the driver will be 'down' (there is an arrow down on his figure), and some days he will be up, its nice to have that back-up roster :D

dalin80

Banned
I hope PD pull their finger out and release a patch that sorts out the mess of the single player game, 3 patches now and all just little bits for online.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
quinntendopower said:
has anyone applied the 1.05 update? i heard it can erase your garage, which at over 100 cars i do not want to lose!

Not seeing any mention of a 1.05 update on any sites. What's your source for this info?

expy said:
What's the FGT required for? Extreme races? I did 'like the wind' already and obtained that Toyota race car.
There's only one Formula GT championship race in the Extreme series and you can only use that vehicle. I don't remember there being one for the Endurance races though. It's a tough cookie as one mistake can really fuck you over, granted you have 20 laps in each race.

donkey show said:
There's only one Formula GT championship race in the Extreme series and you can only use that vehicle. I don't remember there being one for the Endurance races though. It's a tough cookie as one mistake can really fuck you over, granted you have 20 laps in each race.

can you only get it in the used car section? and how much does it cost?

test_account

XP-39C²
What is the point of having several of B-Spec drivers? The driver that is leveled up several of time must be better to drive compared to a newly created driver that havnt leveled up once?

dalin80

Banned
kitch9 said:

Few race series, too quick a jump to very high powered cars, too many race series requiring the player to buy and tune a new car for each, a race series that requires 12,000,000 cr cars at a time where you earn about 30,000 a race, endurance races giving negligible financial rewards, prize cars being once only rewards, races that allow you to enter cars that shouldn't be eligible, no mechanical damage, very slow visual damage, awful shadows, complete lack of driver AI, no option to save mid championship or in a endurance race, an insignificant amount of cars that have RM available, weak array of tyre and tuning options, no ability to set gear ratios, no brake upgrades, no wheels for standards, cars dont get dirty despite having a carwash, no machine test 1/4m and so on, inability to do standing start time trials. etc...

GT's have never been anywhere near close to this amount of grinding and too be honest I preferred GT4's B-spec driver controls.

Goldrusher

test_account said:
What is the point of having several of B-Spec drivers? The driver that is leveled up several of time must be better to drive compared to a newly created driver that havnt leveled up once?
Endurance Races.

darkwing

test_account said:

there are times when your driver is on a 'down' day

test_account

XP-39C²
Goldrusher said:
Endurance Races.
Ah, so you change drivers in the endurance races? Then it makes sense. Thanks! :)

darkwing said:
there are times when your driver is on a 'down' day
Is that the arrow icon? I have seen an arrow pointing both down, straight and up. I did some races when the arrow was down, but i couldnt really notice much difference in his driving. I am only on level 9 in B-Spec though, maybe that is why.

Fersis said:
I havent seen the fireworks yet.

Fersis:

Do an arcade race on special stage 7 (no rain.) Drive one of the GT-R's. Turn the rear speakers up on your 5.1 system.

Watch the replay. Enjoy.

Almost brought a tear to my eye during the replay of the tunnel part, and then the fireworks

darkwing

test_account said:
Ah, so you change drivers in the endurance races? Then it makes sense. Thanks! :)

Is that the arrow icon? I have seen an arrow pointing both down, straight and up. I did some races when the arrow was down, but i couldnt really notice much difference in his driving. I am only on level 9 in B-Spec though, maybe that is why.

yeah the arrow icon, i just assumed it meant that, gives me the excuse to level up my other drivers lols and of course you would want a somewhat equal level of drivers for the endurance races

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
My biggest gripe on this game has to be that the first 3 classes almost every single race requires you to drive a 1960-1979 car from various countries.

I'm all for doing stuff like that, but when your biggest selection is standard cars and the used garage is lucky to even have one car that would meet that criteria, that is a huge problem to me.

This game does this to me while I have my 2006 Viper, 2002 Viper, 2006 Corvette, and 2008 Tesla Roadster all sitting in my garage useable in like 3 races. Shit sucks :(

test_account

XP-39C²
darkwing said:
yeah the arrow icon, i just assumed it meant that, gives me the excuse to level up my other drivers lols and of course you would want a somewhat equal level of drivers for the endurance races
Ye, it definitely wouldnt hurt to have more equal drivers in the endurance races indeed :) Maybe i should start to use my 2nd driver as well so that he would also level up.

Starfish_Oxide said:
Ok awful n00b question....where do you put on tyres other then we prompted to buy them?
Before a race under driving options. I think you can also do it in the garage. Hit triagnle over the car of choice, then select tuning. Maybe there as well.

Leunam

There is a prompt that pops up so the tires are installed automatically once you buy them. Besides that, you can set which tires you want to use before a race starts. Dirt and Snow tires are equipped automatically in rally events.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
dalin80 said:
Few race series, too quick a jump to very high powered cars, too many race series requiring the player to buy and tune a new car for each, a race series that requires 12,000,000 cr cars at a time where you earn about 30,000 a race, endurance races giving negligible financial rewards, prize cars being once only rewards, races that allow you to enter cars that shouldn't be eligible, no mechanical damage, very slow visual damage, awful shadows, complete lack of driver AI, no option to save mid championship or in a endurance race, an insignificant amount of cars that have RM available, weak array of tyre and tuning options, no ability to set gear ratios, no brake upgrades, no wheels for standards, cars dont get dirty despite having a carwash, no machine test 1/4m and so on, inability to do standing start time trials. etc...
As I haven't had the chance to play the game yet, is the bolded part true?

Leunam

blu said:
As I haven't had the chance to play the game yet, is the bolded part true?

To an extent. At first you can't, but I think you unlock that ability later on as you progress. All you can do in the beginning is set top speed and the gear ratios are adjusted automatically.

brentech

I have slowly been going through the Apex collectors guide which is wonderful if I may say. I just got to a section that talks about Photo Mode and was actually surprised to see them providing photography composition basics along with the technical aspects which are more evident in that it's in your face as soon as you bring the camera up in game.

I know Photo Mode isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's one of those segments they obviously put quite a bit of care and thought into....just exemplifies the total (previously coined in OT1) car-gasm with which this game provides.

cilonen

Is it morally wrong to loan your B spec driver your fully maxed Veyron for the 'Tous France Championnat'? He's over 1:07 up after 1 lap of the Circuit de la Sarthe....

expy

Banned
Starfish_Oxide said:
Ok awful n00b question....where do you put on tyres other then we prompted to buy them?
When you choose your car in the garage before an event you can "tune" it before entering a championship, or even before a race in "settings".

darkwing

cilonen said:
Is it morally wrong to loan your B spec driver your fully maxed Veyron for the 'Tous France Championnat'? He's over 1:07 up after 1 lap of the Circuit de la Sarthe....

:lol i let my B-spec driver drive my SLS Stealth in the Sunday Cup for his first race

cilonen

expy said:
When you choose your car in the garage before an event you can "tune" it before entering a championship, or even before a race in "settings".

I can change them in the driver settings before a race rather than the tune screen - the tune screen just gives me a description of the tyres I've bought in the middle section and what tyres are fitted top left above the dyno graphs. Clicking on them just brings up some text - I'm missing completely how to change them from the tuning screen or does this get unlocked later? (lv 21 A spec at the mo)

cilonen said:

Couldn't be bothered to get a level car on that event so

Circuit%20de%20la%20Sarthe%202009.jpg

on both a- as b-spec.

test_account

XP-39C²
Leunam said:
To an extent. At first you can't, but I think you unlock that ability later on as you progress. All you can do in the beginning is set top speed and the gear ratios are adjusted automatically.
True. There is a knob beside each gear, so it looks like th game is made like it should be possible to change the ratio on each gare. But for some reason the knobs are "blurred" out, like this feature isnt made available yet for some reason.

cilonen

darkwing said:
:lol i let my B-spec driver drive my SLS Stealth in the Sunday Cup for his first race

Awesome :D ... Although I've just noticed the little bastard has scratched my Veyron somewhere on the Madrid circuit. *retires driver*

Top Bottom