• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Leunam said:
To an extent. At first you can't, but I think you unlock that ability later on as you progress. All you can do in the beginning is set top speed and the gear ratios are adjusted automatically.

kIdMuScLe said:
very true...
So a quick check with GTP shows that the automatic recalc of gear ratios to meet the speed range is the only option for now. I really hope PD fixes that later on. Otherwise high torque setups become practically useless.

paskowitz

I just want to take time out of my day to state that the Lexus LFA is awesome. If there is one car in GT5 that sounds exactly like it does in real life it is the LFA. Its rev counter is also awesome. Its perfect for a track like The Ring. If you keep the revs high it feels like it has far more horse power than it actually does. It is also incredibly stable. Nothing seems to upset it, it just digs in and turns. My only complaint is that at low revs its power drops significantly.

Also the Viper ACR has UNBELIEVABLE grip. It is definitely the fastest car for 100K. It demolishes the ZR1 and GTR. Its not even funny. It has so much more grip, especially at speed. Put some money into it and it will destroy any car in the same price range. My first lap at The Ring I did a 7:23.xxx WITH a spin out (stock car)! I also love how on The Ring you have to leave the car in gear before enter most corners, just like in real life (watch the lap record video).

dalin80 said:
I hope PD pull their finger out and release a patch that sorts out the mess of the single player game, 3 patches now and all just little bits for online.

Oh damn, that is actually a pretty good reason for me to start my new driver!

darkwing

paskowitz said:
I just want to take time out of my day to state that the Lexus LFA is awesome. If there is one car in GT5 that sounds exactly like it does in real life it is the LFA. Its rev counter is also awesome. Its perfect for a track like The Ring. If you keep the revs high it feels like it has far more horse power than it actually does. It is also incredibly stable. Nothing seems to upset it, it just digs in and turns. My only complaint is that at low revs its power drops significantly.

Also the Viper ACR has UNBELIEVABLE grip. It is definitely the fastest car for 100K. It demolishes the ZR1 and GTR. Its not even funny. It has so much more grip, especially at speed. Put some money into it and it will destroy any car in the same price range. My first lap at The Ring I did a 7:23.xxx WITH a spin out (stock car)! I also love how on The Ring you have to leave the car in gear before enter most corners, just like in real life (watch the lap record video).

Viper ACR is a standard car?

darkwing said:
Viper ACR is a standard car?

Nope, it's a premium car. I still find it hard to believe that a Viper has good handling though. Viper's are basically known to be a lot like the Veyron. Incredible top speed...and that's about it.

ACH1LL3US

TTG said:
Hey guy! Are you looking to kill some Le Mans prototypes, but hate staring at that standard POS Toyota you won? Why don't you get yourself a Corvette, Z06 or the ZR1 will do. 95k for the car, 185(or so) for the race conversion and toss in another 30-50k for engine upgrades and a small chunk for soft racing tires. And here you thought the C6 was getting long in the tooth, you thought it was passed by the new wave of GTRs and Viper ACRs. You silly goose! The Vette is the real deal.

5240601165_e7c9df2c34_b.jpg

Now that's something a Zonda R doesn't want to see in the rear view mirror(huh hoh, it doesn't have one!)

Are you saying this car is better then the Zonda R??

paskowitz

darkwing said:
so its even faster than the Z06?

Its almost a different league. It has strange gearing so maybe on a track like Le Sarthe they would be close but on anything tight, the ACR would absolutely maul the Z06 in the corners and at the very least keep pace on the straights.

darkwing

paskowitz said:
Its almost a different league. It has strange gearing so maybe on a track like Le Sarthe they would be close but on anything tight, the ACR would absolutely maul the Z06 in the corners and at the very least keep pace on the straights.

woah i thought Vipers were very hard to steer

paskowitz said:

You're talking about the stock version of the Z06 and ZR1, right? The race tuned versions are very different beasts. I know the ZR1 for example basically grips to the road like you wouldn't believe.

iam220

Any time you purchase a car the stock version of that car should also unlock in both arcade and online w/ all tyres.
or does it already do that?

darkwing said:
:lol i let my B-spec driver drive my SLS Stealth in the Sunday Cup for his first race

Ha, that's what I did! B-Spec is pretty awesome. I mean, I do want to race a lot but I'm waiting on a present (wheel) before I dive any deeper (lvl 14 or 15) so B-spec is perfect for that.

Basically I'm playing the new Xpac in WoW while letting my B-spec drivers make me cash. I am nerd, hear me.

darkwing

SolidSnakex said:
You're talking about the stock version of the Z06 and ZR1, right? The race tuned versions are very different beasts. I know the ZR1 for example basically grips to the road like you wouldn't believe.

ok this is confusing so Z06/ZR1 > Viper ACR then? or vice versa lol

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
paskowitz said:

Wow, you have now made me want one really bad. I have thrown almost $300,000 at my 06' Viper in upgrades and still haven't found a good way to keep it under control.

Going to be doing my money race (pro class super car 3 laps around daytona $17,000 winning) to get one. Thanks!

PS: anybody have a better race that is easy as the daytona and nets more money then 17,000?

paskowitz

darkwing said:
woah i thought Vipers were very hard to steer

The SRT-10 is very unwieldy but this one just goes like it is on rails. At low speeds it can get feisty. The loss of grip is sudden but its not horrible (Murcielago).

I'll put it to you this way. On The Ring, after the long straight there is a downhill section that goes uphill into some s's. This section is relatively difficult. In the ACR, you can go full throttle until you can just see the pit entrance over the rise and then you have to brake. Its crazy.

SolidSnakex said:
Nope, it's a premium car. I still find it hard to believe that a Viper has good handling though. Viper's are basically known to be a lot like the Veyron. Incredible top speed...and that's about it.

I think the Viper ACR still holds the record for fastest confirmed time around the Nurburgring. It's basically a street legal race car.

Melfice7

cilonen said:
Is it morally wrong to loan your B spec driver your fully maxed Veyron for the 'Tous France Championnat'? He's over 1:07 up after 1 lap of the Circuit de la Sarthe....

I do the same :}

jakonovski said:
Urgh, starting to hate DS3 controls as car power increases. I mapped brakes to L2 like any sane person, and the calibration is so fucked up I have to keep ABS on or brakes lock at the slightest touch. Why make a sim without sensitivity settings? Why?
The DS3 is horrible for precision racing, I just about threw it at my TV doing the advanced nascar challenges

darkwing said:
ok this is confusing so Z06/ZR1 > Viper ACR then? or vice versa lol

I'm not sure as I don't have an ACR, I do have a ZR1 though and it's flatout amazing. The ACR sounds like it's a very different beast overall compared to the stock Viper's, which are known for having laughable handling.

darkwing

weekend_warrior said:
I think the Viper ACR still holds the record for fastest confirmed time around the Nurburgring. It's basically a street legal race car.

woah Viper ACR > Z06/ZR1 then :D time to study the cash flow my B-spec driver is bringing in :D

Got the Bentley Le Mans car after completing the professional effents, so I used that for the Like the Wind event. It wasn't even a contest.

Used this for the all stars.
High%20Speed%20Ring_2.jpg

paskowitz

darkwing said:
woah Viper ACR > Z06/ZR1 then :D time to study the cash flow my B-spec driver is bringing in :D

The ZR1 would probably win at Monza but on something like Cape Ring the ACR would destroy it. It just keeps its momentum better. The ZR1 accelerates and stops very well but since it has so much power you will inevitably loose time in the corners. In the hands of an expert driver they would be pretty close.

After the ACR I would recommend the LFA. For the price it is not the best value but it is just so much fun to drive and to listen to.

iam220

jakonovski said:
Urgh, starting to hate DS3 controls as car power increases. I mapped brakes to L2 like any sane person, and the calibration is so fucked up I have to keep ABS on or brakes lock at the slightest touch. Why make a sim without sensitivity settings? Why?

I think you're nuts for playing with abs-off on a DS3 but the problem has to do with brake pressure and balance. Try a setting of 3 in the front and 2 in the back, or 2/1 and see how that works for you. If you're still locking up early try 4/2 or something.

I own both and have them fully tuned.

ZR1 RM > ACR

ACR has more HP, a 1000 I believe but does not have the handling of the ZR1 RM.

ZR1 RM has been the best investment for me in this game. Came in huge for some of the extreme races.

Edit: Buy a ZR1, change oil, purchase Race Mod, tune to preference.

Edit 2: Although I have messed with the ZR1 RM downforce more than I have the ACR, so maybe there is still a sweet spot to be found. I found the ACR a bit too sluggish on turn in.

Changing the high end RM downforce level substantially changes the way the car handles. Almost feels random at points.

Mihku

Finally got my Ticket 1000, even though I have 125 wins and almost 4k km. Some people got some extremely nice cars from it, guess I got the short straw. NSX '97 standard. You have got to be kidding me. Some get a 20 million car and I get this? :/

spats

Mihku said:
Finally got my Ticket 1000, even though I have 125 wins and almost 4k km. Some people got some extremely nice cars from it, guess I got the short straw. NSX '97 standard. You have got to be kidding me. Some get a 20 million car and I get this? :/

The NSX is pretty awesome though.

paskowitz

darkwing said:
so going ZR-1 path is most cost effective here?

Definitely. I am just referring to stock cars. The ZR1 is by far the best car to upgrade for the money. The RM version is crazy quick and is really stable. It also can enter many races so you will easily get your money back.

expy

Banned
Mihku said:
I got a '99 Evo premium. :lol

Mihku said:

Buddy, don't even go there. You know what I got for my Ticket 1000?

TH0xJ.jpg

Honda TODAY G '85. 29hp. It might actually be the single worse car in the entire game. Fuck this shit.

darkwing said:
so going ZR-1 path is most cost effective here?

That's what I did and I don't regret it a second. Some people have said you can save a bit of money by race modding the Z06 instead.

commedieu

Banned
weekend_warrior said:

TH0xJ.jpg

Honda TODAY G '85. 29hp. It might actually be the single worse car in the entire game. Fuck this shit.

The Today is pretty awesome though.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
weekend_warrior said:

<snip>

It's not the ride, it's the rider, etc.

weekend_warrior said:

*image*

Ouch. I don't even recall what I got for mine. Er, maybe it was my Red Bull Audi DTM car. If that isn't a prize car than I think it was that.

weekend_warrior said:

TH0xJ.jpg

That's what I did and I don't regret it a second. Some people have said you can save a bit of money by race modding the Z06 instead.

:lol :lol :lol

What's the weakest car in the game btw? I own some small Japanese one with 11hp.

YES! Finally found the AE86 Shuichi Shigeno version and drifted the 10 000 points trophy :D

love it that it actually revs up to 12 000rpm!

darkwing

SolidSnakex said:
I'm always amused when I look at that list and the Veyron isn't on it. It's very telling. So many manufacturers view the time on that track as a big measuring stick for their cars performance yet Bugatti doesn't want the Veyron anywhere near that track.

Veyron handles like an oil tanker

SolidSnakex said:
I'm always amused when I look at that list and the Veyron isn't on it. It's very telling. So many manufacturers view the time on that track as a big measuring stick for their cars performance yet Bugatti doesn't want the Veyron anywhere near that track.

The Veyron was never meant to be a street legal racecar. It weighs over 4,000lbs. It's meant to be the pinnacle of automotive technology. A showcase of form and function. And it unquestionable succeeds at that.

expy

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
The Veyron was never meant to be a street legal racecar. It weighs over 4,000lbs. It's meant to be the pinnacle of automotive technology. A showcase of form and function. And it unquestionable succeeds at that.
For sure.

Top Bottom