• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huggy

# When you die, you pay $100 but you get to keep your weapons.
# When you go to jail after getting busted, you pay more than $100 and you lose your weapons.

Ooohhh, missed opportunity. Now people will rather blow themselves up instead of giving themselves up to the police (if they'd build/t the option to surrender).

Crusade

I hope they have an amazing dance/techno/house station and that I can customise Niko with glowsticks and cause havoc

How can a game with characters from East Europe not?

Ciel

Some of you have a terrible grasp of good and bad hip-hop. GTA hasn't ever had good rap. SMH at dude who said 90s was the last good era for rap.

Liberty City = NY right? The birthplace of the genre. Good oppurtunity to make a station with the Illmatic, 36 Chambers, The Infamous, Reasonable Doubt 90's sound. It would fit so perfectly, but they're probably going to go with some corny college rap shit, right? I haven't been keeping up with confirmed artists.

MMaRsu

Ciel said:
Some of you have a terrible grasp of good and bad hip-hop. GTA hasn't ever had good rap. SMH at dude who said 90s was the last good era for rap.

Liberty City = NY right? The birthplace of the genre. Good oppurtunity to make a station with the Illmatic, 36 Chambers, The Infamous, Reasonable Doubt 90's sound. It would fit so perfectly, but they're probably going to go with some corny college rap shit, right? I haven't been keeping up with confirmed artists.

Dude, gta3 had good hiphop !

* Reef - Scary Movies (Instrumental) [29]
* Royce Da 5'9" - We're Live (Danger)
* Nature - Nature Freestyle
* JoJo Pellegrino - JoJo Pellegrino Freestyle
* Royce Da 5'9" (Feat. Pretty Ugly) - Spit Game
* Royce Da 5'9" - I'm the King
* Rush - Instrumental Bed 1 [29]
* Ilacoin (Feat. Labba, Black Rob) - By A Stranger
* 8-Off Agallah (Feat. Sean Price, Bazaar Royale) - Rising to the Top
* Rush - Instrumental Bed 2 [29]

But Saints Row hiphop was better :)

Airborn Audio – Inside the Globe
Aisha – Bounce Like My Checks
Aisha – Leave the Ho
Bathgate – Everything’s A Go
Bisc One - Crumbs
Black Market Militia – Hood Lullabye
Black Market Militia feat. Dead Prez - Audobun Ballroom
Black Milk - Danger
Black Sheep – Flavor of the Month
Camp Lo – Glow
Clipse - Grindin
Copywrite – Beautiful Trainwreck
De La Soul – Rock Co. Kane Flow
Eric B. and Rakim – Paid In Full
Exile feat. Slum Village – Time has Come
Grafh – Get Shot Boy
Jin – Golden
Kenn Starr – What Up
Likwit Junkies – Keep Doin It
Little Brother – Shake it
M.E.D. - Nightlife
Madvillian – Money Folder
Masta Ace – Take a Walk
Masta Ace feat. Jean Grae – Soda Soap
Masta Killa – Digi Warfare
Masta Killa feat. Ghostface and Raekwon – D.T.D.
Masta Killa featuring ODB & RZA – Old Man
Mathematics – Spot Lite ft. Wu Tang Clan
Mathematics – Two Shots of Henny
Mathematics feat. Ghostface and Raekwon – Real Niggaz
Mathematics feat. Method Man – John 3 16
MC Lyte – Paper Thin
MHE Ghostface feat. Trife – Milk ‘Em
Planet Asia feat. Prodigy – Stick and Move
RA the Rugged Man – Black and White
Rich Medina – Holdin’ Up
Sa-Ra feat. Pharoahe Monch – Fish Fillet
The Alchemist feat. Lloyd Banks – Bangers
Three 6 Mafia feat. Trillville & Lil Wyte – Who is I?
Turf Talk – Do The Robot
Twista – Overnight Celebrity
Vordul Mega - Spitamatic
Wordsworth – Gotta Play

*unlockable*
* Hurry, Hurry - Xzhibit featuring Strong Army Steady
* Man Up - Ghostface Killah And Trife Da God
* Shut You Down - Rhymefest
* Saints Row - David Banner
* Git Out My Way - Daz Dillinger
* Leave The Ho - Sy Smith
* DFM Like I'm Your Wife- Sy Smith
* Bounce Like My Checks - Sy Smith

Ciel

MMaRsu said:
Dude, gta3 had good hiphop !

But Saints Row hiphop was better :)

Wow, I've never played SR but they killed it with that playlist.

Anyways, who's really listening to music while they're jumping off a building on a stolen bicycle onto a helicopter that's on fire while cops and gangsters are shooting you and each other and while your girlfriend is trying to call you god damn this game will rule because R* probably have shit planned thats 20 times better than the scenario I just submitted.

MMaRsu

Ciel said:
Wow, I've never played SR but they killed it with that playlist.

Anyways, who's really listening to music while they're jumping off a building on a stolen bicycle onto a helicopter that's on fire while cops and gangsters are shooting you and each other and while your girlfriend is trying to call you god damn this game will rule because R* probably have shit planned thats 20 times better than the scenario I just submitted.

:lol

Haha yeah well music is pretty important to me, but Gta hasn't really failed me ever in that direction.. I always hoped they wouldn't put any 50 cent bullshit or eminem in there..hate that shit.

I'd rather have some more unknown hiphop ( like SR's playlist ), just put some Wu Tang in there and stuff :p.

newsguy

Ciel said:

Now you will be listening to music during all of that because your cellphone plays music while you're on foot. In this sense, I hope there's alot of good music of every variety, because it's going to play a bigger role now.

HolyStar

Banned
Yeah, music is no longer just something you play while in the car. It will be used as power, as something that will help you beat the missions.

Not sure if this is new, dont see it in this thread though.

First 360 exclusive episodes due in August. A lot sooner than I would of thought actually.

"In its GDC keynote extravaganza, Microsoft confirmed that the first downloadable "episode" for GTA IV will be coming this August, exclusively to Xbox 360.
Grand Theft Auto IV: Episode One, as it's being called, is presumably the first in the previously announced two downloadable episodes for Rockstar's sequel. They've been rumoured to have cost Microsoft a fair few pennies too.
Microsoft VP John Schappert also confirmed that more than a thousand new games will be released on the Xbox 360 in 2008 and that Grand Theft Auto IV will be one of the biggest. Thanks, but we already knew that.
GTA IV is out on April 29. We'll have hands-on impressions from a recent Rockstar event soon."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=182934

newsguy

Damn, 4 months?! That's awesome, that's about the sweet spot when you've played through the game and you're looking to move on. Perfect timing IMO

Wollan

Traded in Burnout, AC, Riddick & FarCry instincts today for GTA4 ps3 std at EB and I even got some cash back whowhouldhavethought.
Also, the guy attending me recognised my surname and asked if I was Wollan from NeoGAF. Fame awaits. (wazzup Jamie)

Wollan said:
Traded in Burnout, AC, Riddick & FarCry instincts today for GTA4 ps3 std at EB and I even got some cash back whowhouldhavethought.
Also, the guy attending me recognised my surname and asked if I was Wollan from NeoGAF. Fame awaits. (wazzup Jamie)
awesome :lol

newsguy

Wollan said:
Also, the guy attending me recognised my surname and asked if I was the creator of the multicolored orgy. Fame awaits. (wazzup Jamie)

Blablurn

Wollan said:

nice x)

upcoming erotic gamer adventures confirmed? XD

j/k :)

Here's a question to hopefully get this thread thumping again.
What's your favorite minigame from the entire series?

I dug the pizza delivery missions most. Although I may be forgetting some of the other mini-game offerings.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Just read the Game Informer article on GTAIV. Being able to skip rockets if positioned correctly is just awesome

The targeting system sounds completely revamped, with a little bit of Crackdown with the Gears covering element. Awesome

Tr4nce

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
Here's a question to hopefully get this thread thumping again.
What's your favorite minigame from the entire series?

I dug the pizza delivery missions most. Although I may be forgetting some of the other mini-game offerings.

I always liked the missions in GTA I where you had to kill people in cars by driving your RC car under their car and then KABLAM. Awesome.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
After reading that GI article yesterday, I went out and reserved it for the PS3. When the clerk heard my surname, he asked me if I was the guy that comes in there a lot and spends a lot of money. Royal treatment incoming.

DenogginizerOS said:
After reading that GI article yesterday, I went out and reserved it for the PS3. When the clerk heard my surname, he asked me if I was the guy that comes in there a lot and spends a lot of money. Royal treatment incoming.

So your going PS3 eh?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Wollan said:

What will you trade in to get you back the install time? I kid, seriously. Had to get you back for the tollbooth disc swap. :lol

DenogginizerOS

AgentOtaku said:
So your going PS3 eh?
Absolutely. $50 Million in bonus missions can't buy my loyalty to a franchise that owes a lot to the Playstation family. And even more importantly, I prefer the DS3 controller (just like I do for DMC4) for controls.

I fully expect the X360 and PS3 version to be identical, however, and this is not an attempt to get a system war going.

In other news, the idea of skipping rockets and a cover system sounds awesome.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
DenogginizerOS said:
Absolutely. $50 Million in bonus missions can't buy my loyalty to a franchise that owes a lot to the Playstation family. And even more importantly, I prefer the DS3 controller (just like I do for DMC4) for controls.

I fully expect the X360 and PS3 version to be identical, however, and this is not an attempt to get a system war going.

In other news, the idea of skipping rockets and a cover system sounds awesome.
Hah. Stealth edit, ahoy! :)

Your first sentence (your original post) simply doesn't make any sense to me. The edit clears things up a bit.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Denogg, YHPM.

I'm still on the fence re: which platform to buy it for. Has there been any talk of an install on the PS3, required or optional? If there were that option, and it yielded better in-game performance, I think I'd forsake the 360 additional content (of unknown cost) for a perfomance bump in the game proper.

DenogginizerOS

anachronous_one said:
Denogg, YHPM.

I'm still on the fence re: which platform to buy it for. Has there been any talk of an install on the PS3, required or optional? If there were that option, and it yielded better in-game performance, I think I'd forsake the 360 additional content (of unknown cost) for a perfomance bump in the game proper.
YHPM

I don't think anything has been mentioned about installs on either platform. If the Episodes for X360 are downloads, then obviously 360 owners will need a hard drive. If a download is optional for the regular game on PS3 and it improves the performance, then I would much rather have the PS3 version. I think we should be getting some answers very soon. For right now, I prefer the controller, the disc drive, and the sound processors in the PS3. Everything else is still up in the air. For now, I am leaning towards PS3 for those reasons (and others).

DenogginizerOS said:
YHPM

I don't think anything has been mentioned about installs on either platform. If the Episodes for X360 are downloads, then obviously 360 owners will need a hard drive. If a download is optional for the regular game on PS3 and it improves the performance, then I would much rather have the PS3 version. I think we should be getting some answers very soon. For right now, I prefer the controller, the disc drive, and the sound processors in the PS3. Everything else is still up in the air. For now, I am leaning towards PS3 for those reasons (and others).

yep yep

....guess i'm waiting for those end of the month previews....then I'm prolly goin PS3 as well

DenogginizerOS

I really am curious about the multiplayer elements. I loved messing around in Crackdown but I was hoping for more structured mini-games that are often found in the GTA games of late. Racing RC cars through the streets of Liberty City against friends would be something I would fully support (though I know it won't happen).

DenogginizerOS said:
I really am curious about the multiplayer elements. I loved messing around in Crackdown but I was hoping for more structured mini-games that are often found in the GTA games of late. Racing RC cars through the streets of Liberty City against friends would be something I would fully support (though I know it won't happen).

The multiplayer on the Stories games had that kind of structure I think. I would love an ad hoc GTA4 version of Crazy Taxi in multiplayer.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie said:
The multiplayer on the Stories games had that kind of structure I think. I would love an ad hoc GTA4 version of Crazy Taxi in multiplayer.
Can you imagine multiplayer Rocket Fights that cause AI rocket and gun battles to break out? It will be like the ending of Blazing Saddles but with rockets and better music.

blindrocket said:
I wouldn't mind an install for Grand Theft Auto IV on Playstation 3. Taking advantage of a standard HDD is what it's there for, after all.

yep

especially nowadays were I really can't stand High RPM noise of the 360 drive......seriously...shit is flat out ghetto in my eyes and I'm becoming less and less tolerant towards it

....kinda regrets rebuying one sometimes

keyrat

The guys at Rockstar North won't do the slop job that the guys at Capcom have been doing to PS3 games. This game will have every bell and whistle and be a perfect 10 contender for sure. Any type of install will be done right.

DenogginizerOS said:

DenogginizerOS
xboxcowboy
(Today, 06:06 AM)
Reply | Quote

keyrat said:
The guys at Rockstar North won't do the slop job that the guys at Capcom have been doing to PS3 games. This game will have every bell and whistle and be a perfect 10 contender for sure. Any type of install will be done right.

slop job Capcom has been doing?

...if your refering to the port of Lost Planet, then thats unjustified as the game was flat out BUILT for the 360 with no prior intention of it ever touching the PS3's architecture.....

Wollan

DenogginizerOS said:
I think we should be getting some answers very soon. For right now, I prefer the controller, the disc drive, and the sound processors in the PS3. Everything else is still up in the air. For now, I am leaning towards PS3 for those reasons (and others).
With Warhawk now adding Home features in the next patch (basically the dev kits have the Home libraries and tools now) I would expect this to be the case with the PS3 version of GTA4. Very, very likely a Home space dedicated to the game (Phil was refering to a street environment as a example last GDC) will be available as well as group/multiplayer launch capabilities from within Home as well as trophies. This is what I personally believe is the exclusive deal (or at least a part of it) between Sony & Rockstar.

DenogginizerOS

Wollan said:
With Warhawk now adding Home features in the next patch (basically the dev kits have the Home libraries and tools now) I would expect this to be the case with the PS3 version of GTA4. Very, very likely a Home space dedicated to the game (Phil was refering to a street environment as a example last GDC) will be available as well as group/multiplayer launch capabilities from within Home as well as trophies. This is what I personally believe is the exclusive deal (or at least a part of it) between Sony & Rockstar.
Awesome. That is a bonus I wasn't expecting. I just want GTA IV to be fun and to be more than just GTA HD. With every little morsel of news I get, it is becoming apparent that this title will be worthy of all the attention it is getting and going to get.

As for those questioning my tag, send me a PM if you want to explore the reasons for it. Accusing me of an agenda is counter-productive to this thread.

DenogginizerOS

WrikaWrek said:
I'm sorry, the guy can have a 360, but i it's not the 1st time. Just sayin.
Why don't you say it to me in a PM? If you have a problem with my posts and want to accuse me of having an agenda, ask me in private and I will give you the honest answer. But leave this shit out of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom