• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
X26 said:
Well if that's not an exaggeration then...damn

Has me wondering about the price though

It's up to Rockstar apparently. But I'm sure they'll be lenient.

But this basically confirms my assumption that they're treating the 360 version like Rock Band; a platform for future installments.

t will be bigger than a lot of people think. GTA3 Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIV

wtf
Why is it that everyone on GAF assumed that the downloadable content would just be new missions taking place in the same game world?

bigmakstudios said:
wtf
Why is it that everyone on GAF assumed that the downloadable content would just be new missions taking place in the same game world?

Inflation has dulled the perception of exactly how much money $50 Million is?

le.phat

bigmakstudios said:
wtf

for one, how big do you think the DLC will be ? don't forget that a large margin of the xbox userbase doesn't have a HDD and an even larger margin has severely limited space. I think the DLC will come in form of a new quest HUB, a bunch of accesories, weapons and vehicles.

ChrisD84

Nice site updates :D

I must say the graphics continue to surprise me, the Dilettante video especially looks fantastic for how big this game is. If they manage to get it all running smoothly then, wow.

le.phat said:
for one, how big do you think the DLC will be ? don't forget that a large margin of the xbox userbase doesn't have a HDD and an even larger margin has severely limited space. I think the DLC will come in form of a new quest HUB, a bunch of accesories, weapons and vehicles.

It doesn't sound like it. MS was happy to host the Oblivion expansion which topped out at several gigs, I believe.

When MS says exclusive, they mean that no other system can have DLC content for GTAIV
Wasn't it confirmed already that the PS3 version would be getting DLC as well? Just not the exclusive DLC that the 360 is getting.

le.phat

BenjaminBirdie said:
It doesn't sound like it. MS was happy to host the Oblivion expansion which topped out at several gigs, I believe.

okay, 360 is getting vice city equivelant upgrades in the form of DLC.

Crusade

I'd expect it's much more like Liberty City stories was to GTA3 than like Vice City. That's basically developing a whole new game, what are they going to have the entire team working on DLC?

Dabanton

Well my copy is payed off it was my birthday last week and my girlfriend knitted me a GTA4 'token' which i can give to her on the 29th april to receive my 360 special edition.

She even promised to come with me to the midnight launch if they have one.:D

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
The Chef said:
omfg
Guess I need to get a 360 and switch my preorder.
wtf Sony FIGHT FOR THIS GAME!
IMO this is what is killing gaming in general...S*** LIKE THIS!

Why have the same game but with one version having more content? I mean its really dumb...

FrankT

BenjaminBirdie said:

It was close to a gig at around 900mb's IIRC. Still a hefty DLC and I think that was 2400 points or 3200. Whatever 30 comes out around.

Metalmurphy said:
Wasn't it confirmed already that the PS3 version would be getting DLC as well? Just not the exclusive DLC that the 360 is getting.

Nope

Funny thing is I don't understand why everyone keeps acting so surprised about this info. It's the same thing that has been said over and over again and yet we hear the same old song and dance everytime. Sony even tried to lock up some DLC after the fact, but it didn't happen because MS has it on lock.

Whether it's up front, $25 mill at a time or however you cut it, $50 million buys things yo.

newsguy

Damn, this is pretty heavy news if true. Be assured that if this really happens, and the 360 really does see a shitload more content for GTA (possibly the biggest game this gen) Sony will retaliate. The next huge game will get some big dollars to be Sony exclusive. There are many people with both consoles, and if they deliver on this much extra content, sales of the PS3 version are going to take a big hit.

Doc Evils said:
like 360 only multiplayer?:lol

Here's one for you:

"My TV is the only place you can see me playing Lost Odyssey AND the television show LOST!"

As I said, I'm sure we'll get clarification by the end of the day, but these are notes from someone who was there so you can't play the semantics game without a direct quote.

Or, well, you can but it's not going to get you anywhere.

Crusade

newsguy said:
Damn, this is pretty heavy news if true. Be assured that if this really happens, and the 360 really does see a shitload more content for GTA (possibly the biggest game this gen) Sony will retaliate. The next huge game will get some big dollars to be Sony exclusive. There are many people with both consoles, and if they deliver on this much extra content, sales of the PS3 version are going to take a big hit.
Sony already has the next Rockstar game locked up as an exclusive. Who knows when we'll see it though

Doc Evils

BenjaminBirdie said:
Here's one for you:

"My TV is the only place you can see me playing Lost Odyssey AND the television show LOST!"

As I said, I'm sure we'll get clarification by the end of the day, but these are notes from someone who was there so you can't play the semantics game without a direct quote.

Or, well, you can but it's not going to get you anywhere.

No, I would prefer something from R* to state what is/isn't happening.

Ranger X

Metalmurphy said:

PS3 is getting "normal" DLC but not the expansion that is exclusive to 360.
It's extremely simple therefore hard to understand for GAF.

MrHicks

Banned
------
GTAIV DLC

* It will be bigger than a lot of people think. GTA3 Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIV
------
fuck that sucks (sad ps3 owner)

The Chef

deejay8595 said:
IMO this is what is killing gaming in general...S*** LIKE THIS!

Why have the same game but with one version having more content? I mean its really dumb...

MS actually has a brain. They see this game for what it is. A F***ING GIANT. They are going to do whatever it takes to make their version the best version.

Its like Sony thinks this game is a perk but they are more interested in their exclusive titles.

I could be insane though.

Crusade said:
Sony already has the next Rockstar game locked up as an exclusive. Who knows when we'll see it though

I did forget about this.

MrHicks said:
------
GTAIV DLC

* It will be bigger than a lot of people think. GTA3 Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIV
------
fuck that sucks (sad ps3 owner)

Man, will suck to pick up the PS3 version due to controller preference...

Goldrusher

A new era, or a new city equals an entirely new game. Tons of textures, models, sounds, voices and the biggest files of all: radio and music.
That's unlikely to happen. It would eat at least half of the available disc space of the 20GB hard drive. Not too mention few people can download such a big file.

At most, a new island. Most likely a new playable character with a dozen or two missions, highly likely with a (few) véry famous (voice) actor(s) behind it.

The Chef said:
MS actually has a brain. They see this game for what it is. A F***ING GIANT. They are going to do whatever it takes to make their version the best version.

Its like Sony thinks this game is a perk but they are more interested in their exclusive titles.

No, I think you've got it. The one wrinkle, of course, was the delay. I'm sure MS had hoped to, in one holiday, create a monstruous multiple million unit lead. But now, ironically enough, it's probably in a more advantageous calendar position for them.

a) They desperately need games to compete with Sony's 2008 line-up
b) They can now offer GTA4 with an extra price drop on the console as opposed to only having the advantage of the pre-Halo 3 one had the game released in October.

Good old Microsoft. Things always seem to work out for those scrappy underdogs.

MMaRsu

BenjaminBirdie said:
No, I think you've got it. The one wrinkle, of course, was the delay. I'm sure MS had hoped to, in one holiday, create a monstruous multiple million unit lead. But now, ironically enough, it's probably in a more advantageous calendar position for them.

a) They desperately need games to compete with Sony's 2008 line-up
b) They can now offer GTA4 with an extra price drop on the console as opposed to only having the advantage of the pre-Halo 3 one had the game released in October.

Good old Microsoft. Things always seem to work out for those scrappy underdogs.

You think they might do a pack in?

MMaRsu said:
You think they might do a pack in?

I don't think so. It's a bit risky. Who knows what kind of controversy will erupt over this game. Let's say WalMart decides to pull the game, that means all those consoles have to go back and get repackaged too.

I think they'll be happy just with the marketing.

I'm curious if they'll have the balls to actually make a commercial about the disparity. It's going to be tough to market this advantage appropriately.

Wollan

Not sure how you see it as a more advantageous calendar position for MS.

- If GTA released last October, Sony would still be at a $499 price point (though they could push hard).
- Last October the Blu-ray/HD-dvd war was still ongoing strong.
- Last October Sony wouldn't be able to bookend the GTA4 release with GT5P & MGS4 (+ some other features like DS3 & Home).

Wollan said:
Not sure how you see it as a more advantageous calendar position for MS.

- If GTA released last October, Sony would still be at a $499 price point (though they could push hard).
- Last October the Blu-ray/HD-dvd war was still ongoing strong.
- Last October Sony wouldn't be able to bookend the GTA4 release with GT5P & MGS4 (+ some other features like DS3 & Home).

It's more advantageous because they need it more now, for all the reasons you described.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The Chef said:

I did forget about this.

To be honest there's no darn way Sony should pay $50 for DLC for GTAIV. That's 2 exclusive Sony games.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I honestly don't care about the downloadable content or who has the advantage. What I care about is getting a solid game on whichever system I buy it on. I swear, GTA IV has become the little kid in Kramer vs. Kramer with the two divorcing parents arguing over who cares more about him. If I didn't already have faith that the two versions were identical, I would be very pissed if this tug of war resulted in a less than stellar version on either console.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
If they're really the size of VC and SA then that just means that the content will find its way onto other platforms.

50 Million is a lot, but it's not nearly enough to secure two huge games like those were.

BSTF said:
If they're really the size of VC and SA then that just means that the content will find its way onto other platforms.

50 Million is a lot, but it's not nearly enough to secure two huge games like those were.

If they somehow had evidence of the rabidness of the 360 userbase in terms of spending money, I'm sure they can justify the benefits of having something exclusive that never need be tethered by publishing costs and that they can dictate the price of on their own.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

It's getting DLC, like standard DLC (Maybe weapons and stuff like that) DLC that will be shared across both platforms.

The 360 version DLC isn't simple DLC, they are full episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom