• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Wollan said:
They haven't. There's no real 'news' here.
It's been detailed as Liberty Stories affair since the start. Basically you will most likely have missions ranging over pre-existing areas + probably a new island or so.

Seems like real news to me. We now know that the content will not be small as many here have been demanding. We also now know the PS3 will not be getting any DLC.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Shepherd said:
Seems like real news to me. We now know that the content will not be small as many here have been demanding. We also now know the PS3 will not be getting any DLC.

I don't think the PS3 won't be getting any DLC. The way the article was wrote makes it seem that way, but just like "Online only on 360.", that's not what was intended. He's referring to the DLC 360 gets won't be anywhere else.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Wollan said:
They haven't. There's no real 'news' here.
It's been detailed as Liberty Stories affair since the start. Basically you will most likely have missions ranging over pre-existing areas + probably a new island or so.

The use of the term "missions" is misplaced. As these won't be random missions, but a new storyline and even possibly a continuation of the main storyline in GTAIV.

Like in Liberty City Stories and Vice city stories, you get cut scenes, you get characters, etc. Hence why this is being called episodes. And 10 to 15 hour of content is huge.

Random missions would just be standard DLC.

HolyStar

Banned
I swear to God some of you are the most stubborn, annoying people ever.

The PS3 gets the shitty deal. I hate it that everyone seems to be the sony defense force or whatever. Look, the expansions are what is going to sell this game. Lets face it guys, the PS2 was the de facto gaming console last-gen, the 360 is the de facto gaming console this gen. MS has money, that is why they get the good deals. Also, 9/10 Xboxs sold have the harddrive with them, and people upgrade.

It almost seems like you guys are trying to do as much damage control as possible.

HolyStar said:

The PS3 gets the shitty deal. I hate it that everyone seems to be the sony defense force or whatever. Look, the expansions are what is going to sell this game. Lets face it guys, the PS2 was the de facto gaming console last-gen, the 360 is the de facto gaming console this gen. MS has money, that is why they get the good deals. Also, 9/10 Xboxs sold have the harddrive with them, and people upgrade.

It almost seems like you guys are trying to do as much damage control as possible.

You're just biased.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
HolyStar said:

:lol :lol

I guess "damage control" isn't making up sales data and dismissing Arcade users as "people upgrade" eh?

Look, the expansions are what is going to sell this game.

:lol

"Hey man, you hear about GTA IV? IT HAS EXPANSIONS!"

Expansions won't sell GTA. GTA will sell GTA.

HolyStar

Banned
6.8 said:
You're just biased.

No, the fact that so many of the people here are not from America and have PS3s and proclaim them better and shit are the bias ones. Honestly, if the PS3 got the content, then people would be saying that the 360 should be the one to get. But for some reason, people think that the PS3 is somehow going to get EXCLUSIVE DOWNLOAD CONTENT OF THEIR OWN, which just isn't going to happen guys.

Ah, like how you knew exactly what I meant, but decided to be a jerk and get literal with it. I am saying it will sell, but it will sell more on the 360.

Truespeed

HolyStar said:

Y'know, I really don't give a shit about the expansion packs because that DLC ain't going to be free and I'm not going to pay another $10 - $20 per expansion just to play a couple of extra hours. If those expansion packs give you a hard on then go buy it for the 360. One more thing, Sony let Rockstar out of a exclusivity deal to bring GTA IV on the 360 so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of extra content for the PS3 version.

newsguy

Truespeed said:
Y'know, I really don't give a shit about the expansion packs because that DLC ain't going to be free and I'm not going to pay another $10 - $20 per expansion just to play a couple of extra hours. If those expansion packs give you a hard on then go buy it for the 360. One more thing, Sony let Rockstar out of a exclusivity deal to bring GTA IV on the 360 so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of extra content for the PS3 version.

Before I say this, I'm not directing this at you. I just wish there was a way to know what users here owned what consoles before reading statements like these. Reason is, this comes off so much like sour grapes. If MS markets this extra content (which will be hard) the majority of people who own both consoles are going with the 360 version.

HolyStar

Banned
Truespeed said:

So first you say you don't care about DLC, now you are saying that you want it for the PS3? Look, the DLC is something you will buy in August, after you have beaten the game, that will have people talking about and playing the game until then. 10 hours is a good amount of time, about the length of several action games man, for only $10. It isn't even just that, it is the fact that the 360 will be the de facto standard for this game. Almost all the previews and builds and things you have seen on this game have been on the 360.

Truespeed

newsguy said:
Before I say this, I'm not directing this at you. I just wish there was a way to know what users here owned what consoles before reading statements like these. Reason is, this comes off so much like sour grapes. If MS markets this extra content (which will be hard) the majority of people who own both consoles are going with the 360 version.

In that case I'll make it clear - I've never paid for DLC and don't ever plan to.

Truespeed

HolyStar said:
So first you say you don't care about DLC, now you are saying that you want it for the PS3? Look, the DLC is something you will buy in August, after you have beaten the game, that will have people talking about and playing the game until then. 10 hours is a good amount of time, about the length of several action games man, for only $10. It isn't even just that, it is the fact that the 360 will be the de facto standard for this game. Almost all the previews and builds and things you have seen on this game have been on the 360.

Did I say that verbatim? It's inevitable that the PS3 will get DLC, but I won't be paying for it so I really couldn't care.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Truespeed said:
Did I say that verbatim? It's inevitable that the PS3 will get DLC, but I won't be paying for it so I really couldn't care.

Maybe some new guns to download but it is not going to get full episodes.

I would love to see this downloadable 'episode' come to ps3 on disc form and watch R* net money from both sides. Possibly when both episodes are released. Its not DLC and would be outside the scope of an exclusive download deal...mabye

newsguy

Truespeed said:
In that case I'll make it clear - I've never paid for DLC and don't ever plan to.

Fair, besides, how can anyone be mad at this.

316kp02.gif

X26

Banned
Truespeed said:

I'm sure the expansiosn will throw in a ton of stuff into the sandbox world of GTA4 that you can make your own fun with long after you're done the DLC missions

The Chef

HolyStar said:

Im confused as to why you are so angry
And have they already announced a price for DLC?

diddlyD

Banned
HolyStar said:

so in other words you're running around with your fingers in your ears screaming "MS is #1 and I don't wanna hear otherwise!" :lol

:lol

"Hey man, you hear about GTA IV? IT HAS EXPANSIONS!"

Wow. I think we all know what system you favor. Have you considered that Microsoft will do anything it can to make consumers aware of the 360 DLC? Microsoft did pay $50 million USD for it after all... do you really think they're going to let it sit on the marketplace without any advertising? There have already been rumors that the GTA4 commercials will be 360 exclusive a la Assassin's Creed for PS3.

bridegur

I don't see why people are making such a fuss over extra episodes. GTA games are overstuffed as it is. Now, if there are extra islands, that would be a different story.

J2 Cool

Goldrusher said:
A new era, or a new city equals an entirely new game. Tons of textures, models, sounds, voices and the biggest files of all: radio and music.
That's unlikely to happen. It would eat at least half of the available disc space of the 20GB hard drive. Not too mention few people can download such a big file.

At most, a new island. Most likely a new playable character with a dozen or two missions, highly likely with a (few) véry famous (voice) actor(s) behind it.

Maybe a revisiting of some old characters?

Thrakier said:
Is there a gameplay video?

This is all I want before the game releases. One nice 5 minute gameplay video in HD. Another trailer may have to do though.

Dabanton

bridegur said:
I don't see why people are making such a fuss over extra episodes. GTA games are overstuffed as it is. Now, if there are extra islands, that would be a different story.

The way i see it is if the New GTA missions are as organic and free form as the press write up make them out to be who wouldn't want more?

I think the reason that most people never finish GTA is they get to a mission that is nigh on impossible because of either the old combat system or just shitty mission structure with no room for error.

From reading about the new game it seems that R* have broadened out the missions a lot more the more the better. I really don't know how people can say they don't care about the episodes you are fooling no one but yourself.

One of the biggest games of the year a new Grand Theft Auto game and people can say with a straight face that they don't want more.

bridegur

Dabanton said:
One of the biggest games of the year a new Grand Theft Auto game and people can say with a straight face that they don't want more.

If I'm proof, yes they can. If the 360 version has downloadable content in the vein of actual new areas that doesn't cost a fortune, I'll be interested. Otherwise, new missions are not interesting to me.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Wow, a whole day's worth of this DLC system wars? I thought I made it clear before that this was for discussion of the game, not waving your e-peens. It's been made clear that MS has paid for exclusive DLC and the 360 will get it in August. Period, end of story.

Until a press release detailing any additional DLC content comes out from one of the principals, the next person to shit up this thread with who is/isn't getting what gets 3 months of time on the pine.

The next person after that? 6 months. And so on.

Go here if you want to browbeat each other about DLC.

Now, back to those beautiful, beautiful screens.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Will do.

So...any word about side missions? Because I really, really don't want to do any more ambulance missions. ;_;

chubigans said:
Will do.

So...any word about side missions? Because I really, really don't want to do any more ambulance missions. ;_;

I dream of Crazy Taxi style adventure and excitement, preferably mostly centered around the Steinway Beer Garden and my neighborhood.

cindah

Banned
chubigans said:
Will do.

Agreed, and technically the most recently developed game in the series (VCS) saved after every 3 level completed. I was grateful for this after crashing the Air Rescue Helicopter into the hospital on level 11. Perhaps they will stick with this.

newsguy

Damn, this is funny, but it's actually the first time I thought to myself that this will be the first GTA with achievments/accomplishments. I wonder what kinds of awesome things R* will think up. Definitely long jumps off ramps. Completing side missions like police, pizza delivery etc. will probably be another. So far we know "one man army" which is killing a certain amount of police.

HolyStar

Banned
Ok.

..... Anyways, I was always wondering what kind of power the guns in the game are going to get. I know they can pierce thru walls and the like, but I want to know if enemies die quickly like in say, Rainbow Six Vegas, or can take the pain.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
IcebergSlim3000 said:
Fox news will love that one.

What's funny is that I KNOW what will be the biggest scandal: the game actually lets people drink and drive in the game, while shooting people along the way.

Oh yes, wait and see.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Vice City Stories has a mission where Vance gets high on coke and has to drive. This isn't exactly groundbreaking territory.

I can saftely say that the GTA episodic content will be some of the best DLC of the year. The missions are great for the gameplay but I am really looking forward to them for the characters/story as well. The missions that Rockstar showed us just got me wanting the game soo much.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Himuro said:
Vice City has a mission where you get drunk off of Phil's boomshine, and your driving is affected by it.

San Andreas has a mission where you get high off of burning weed fields.

Have these folks played a GTA before?

To be fair, GTA never had a storyline that I could remember very well. I never liked the stories in GTA, just the gameplay.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I really want them to bring back the point system from GTA 1 and 2. I have them on Steam now and it's just SO FUCKING AWESOME to pull someone out of their car and then back over them for bonus points.

dejay

Banned
I'm probably going to spend upwards of five hours (not in one sitting mind you) just riding the motorbike into shit to watch what happens. Niko flying off his bike over a low wall, arms flapping around in panic, before dropping into the ocean will not be something I tire of easily. Hopefully Rockstar pays particular attention to motorcycle crash physics :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom