• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizzyb

Banned
bigmakstudios said:
wtf
Why is it that everyone on GAF assumed that the downloadable content would just be new missions taking place in the same game world?

*Crosses Fingers*

Tropical Island
Tropical Island
Tropical Island
Tropical Island

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
BenjaminBirdie said:
If they somehow had evidence of the rabidness of the 360 userbase in terms of spending money, I'm sure they can justify the benefits of having something exclusive that never need be tethered by publishing costs and that they can dictate the price of on their own.

What do you think MS would rather have an exclusive on? GTA4 or some exclusive content that people don't know much about?

If the content was really as big as VC and SA, why the hell wouldn't they just give Rockstar 25 million to have GTA4 exclusively? Then if R* had any intention of adding DLC it would still be 360 only.

le.phat said:
for one, how big do you think the DLC will be ? don't forget that a large margin of the xbox userbase doesn't have a HDD and an even larger margin has severely limited space. I think the DLC will come in form of a new quest HUB, a bunch of accesories, weapons and vehicles.
Yeah. 50 million dollars for these things seems quite fair :lol

I don't think space is a great problem here. The DLCs could use many assets from the game disk, or maybe be split in more "chapter" downloads.

BSTF said:
What do you think MS would rather have an exclusive on? GTA4 or some exclusive content that people don't know much about?

If the content was really as big as VC and SA, why the hell wouldn't they just give Rockstar 25 million to have GTA4 exclusively? Then if R* had any intention of adding DLC it would still be 360 only.

Like I said, they have to market it appropriately otherwise it's worthless.

Also GTA has never and probably will never be a console exclusive.

Wollan said:
Not sure how you see it as a more advantageous calendar position for MS.

- If GTA released last October, Sony would still be at a $499 price point (though they could push hard).
- Last October the Blu-ray/HD-dvd war was still ongoing strong.
- Last October Sony wouldn't be able to bookend the GTA4 release with GT5P & MGS4 (+ some other features like DS3 & Home).
Ya it was definitely in Sony's favor that the game was delayed. $399, DS3 is coming, MGS4, blu-ray winning over hd-dvd, and possibly home whenever the hell thats is coming.

Hopefully the DS3 will be out here in the U.S. in time for either GTA4 or MGS4.

zaidr

BSTF said:

So since 2 exclusive DLC packs are $50 million, having the whole game exclusive would cost $25 million? That doesn't make sense...

BSTF said:
If the content was really as big as VC and SA, why the hell wouldn't they just give Rockstar 25 million to have GTA4 exclusively?
What make you think that they didn't try it hard? Maybe rockstar simply refused, but they told "watch, we'll be making these expansions too... we'll get your moneys for them".

Crusade

Spider_Jerusalem said:
What make you think that they didn't try it hard? Maybe rockstar simply refused, but they told "watch, we'll be making these expansions too... we'll get your moneys for them".
Word is Rockstar definitely approached Sony and maybe MS with an offer but it was some ridiculous amount that neither would pay. Consider the fact that MS has paid $50 million just for DLC and imagine how much it would've costed for time-exclusitivity

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
zaidr said:
So since 2 exclusive DLC packs are $50 million, having the whole game exclusive would cost $25 million? That doesn't make sense...

Yeah it doesn't make sense, which is why I'm doubting the size of the DLC.

If GTA4 = Size of GTA3

And GTA VC and SA were bigger / sold more copies than GTA3. Then why would the nextgen Vice City AND San Andreas only cost $50 million? Why would Rockstart choose to bring out two huge games exclusively on 360? And if that kind of content could be had for $50 million dollars, why wouldn't Microsoft just get GTA4 exclusive?

Dabanton

Crusade said:
Word is Rockstar definitely approached Sony and maybe MS with an offer but it was some ridiculous amount that neither would pay. Consider the fact that MS has paid $50 million just for DLC and imagine how much it would've costed for time-exclusitivity

I shiver to imagine the figures that were talked about but if either of Sony or MS were brave enough to stump up the cash for that. The 'battle' between them would have been all but over.

I mean GTA exclusivity that a system killer right there.

Ariexv

BSTF said:
Yeah it doesn't make sense, which is why I'm doubting the size of the DLC.

If GTA4 = Size of GTA3

And GTA VC and SA were bigger / sold more copies than GTA3. Then why would the nextgen Vice City AND San Andreas only cost $50 million? Why would Rockstart choose to bring out two huge games exclusively on 360? And if that kind of content could be had for $50 million dollars, why wouldn't Microsoft just get GTA4 exclusive?
Because while the other 2 games were bigger/sold more copies....... having GTA IV itself exclusive to 1 console is alot bigger then having the expansions...... which would mean selling more hardware which I would guess would be worth alot more to MS/Sony then the games.

Dabanton

Opus Angelorum said:
Anyone who is suggesting that exclusive content for the Xbox 360 is somehow irrelevant, is clearly deluded.

According to them It doesn't matter apparently as people never complete the main game anyway, so why would they want more content?

Yeah... there is NO WAY, they're gonna make "Vice City/San Andreas" expansions as those exclusive DLC...

Those will be disc based, and not exclusive to any console.

Ariexv

Dabanton said:
According to them It doesn't matter apparently as people never complete the main game anyway, so why would they want more content?
People keep saying that.... yet more people bought the expansions then the normal game, why would you buy San Andreas/Vice city if you only play GTA to mess around?

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Ariexv said:
Because while the other 2 games were bigger/sold more copies....... having GTA IV itself exclusive to 1 console is alot bigger then having the expansions...... which would mean selling more hardware which I would guess would be worth alot more to MS/Sony then the games.

OK, lets say GTA4 costs more and takes 50 million to get exclusive. Doesn't that seem like a better option to MS? Then Rockstar could come out with the next gen Vice City and San Andreas on 360/PC/PS3 and have all of those sales to look forward too instead of being limited to DLC only. Seems like a better deal for R* and Microsoft.

Ranger X

You guys are smoking crack. The expansions will not be as huge as what Vice City and San Andreas were to GTA3. You have to understand it's PR talk. It's to make they expansion sound awesome.

The expansion are going to be ala Shivering Isles and other PC expansions we are used to.

jet1911 said:
The big Oblivion DLC was 30$.
Damn that makes the game $90-$100 with tax fuck that.
Ranger X said:
You guys are smoking crack. The expansions will not be as huge as what Vice City and San Andreas were to GTA3. You have to understand it's PR talk. It's to make they expansion sound awesome.

The expansion are going to be ala Shivering Isles and other PC expansions we are used to.
Ya I'm guessing it'll be mission and no new levels we'll see though...

How big was the Oblivion DLC compared to the full game?

Wollan

I'm not well versed about the New York area but I read someone say that GTA4 covers four of five parts to the city? If that's the case it's pretty easy to see what's coming.

Crusade

Wollan said:
I'm not well versed about the New York area but I read someone say that GTA4 covers four of five parts to the city? If that's the case it's pretty easy to see what's coming.
Wasn't the other borough cut cause Rockstar felt the place was boring?

Ranger X

InterMoniker said:
Damn that makes the game $90-$100 with tax fuck that.
Ya I'm guessing it'll be mission and no new levels we'll see though...

How big was the Oblivion DLC compared to the full game?

I'm not sure but it was a whole new island, quite alot new Quest, even maybe some new story background? It was a nice content update. What we are used to see on PC. I bet it will be the same with GTA4

The Chef

If you own both a PS3 and 360 and you are going to get GTA4 and you read/hear that the 360 version has exclusive DLC for it...well then isn't you decision made right there? Even if you dont plan on playing the additional content - you are getting more value for the same price.

MS wins right?

So it Looks like Microsoft has finally announced what it's Exclusive DLC deal w/ Rockstar really means, according to Microsoft each episode of DLC content will be equal to the games San Andreas and Vice City for Ps2/Xbox. They have also stated that Digital Downloads will be the new way to deliver the GTA "Expansions."

So it looks like with this new announcement if you were planning on playing the Vice City/San Andreas versions of GTA IV the 360 is the Definitive version to get, with the first expansion arriving as early as Fall this year and the next one to follow-up in 2009.

GTAIV DLC

* When MS says exclusive, they mean that no other system can have DLC content for GTAIV

* It will be bigger than a lot of people think. GTA3 Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIV
* No price has been discussed yet. It's up to Rockstar on whether or not they will charge for it
* If successful, DLC may be the new way to deliver GTA expansions

http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-114529.aspx

Rumor??

The Chef

Shadowlink123 said:
So it Looks like Microsoft has finally announced what it's Exclusive DLC deal w/ Rockstar really means, according to Microsoft each episode of DLC content will be equal to the games San Andreas and Vice City for Ps2/Xbox. They have also stated that Digital Downloads will be the new way to deliver the GTA "Expansions."

Your a little late in the conversation.
Thanks for joining

newsguy

Shadowlink123 said:

So it looks like with this new announcement if you were planning on playing the Vice City/San Andreas versions of GTA IV the 360 is the Definitive version to get, with the first expansion arriving as early as Fall this year and the next one to follow-up in 2009.

GTAIV DLC

* When MS says exclusive, they mean that no other system can have DLC content for GTAIV

* It will be bigger than a lot of people think. GTA3 Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIV
* No price has been discussed yet. It's up to Rockstar on whether or not they will charge for it

Rumor??

Shane Kim in the muthafucking house! Give it up y'all.

Kidding. I can see this being a wholw new burrow. A fifth one with many hours of new gameplay opportunities like some have mentioned. Sign me up.

Robert R1

Banned
Shadowlink123 said:

GTAIV DLC

Rumor??

If DLC is going to be that big and platform exclusive, we just got ourselves a MEGATON! in the making.

The Chef said:
If you own both a PS3 and 360 and you are going to get GTA4 and you read/hear that the 360 version has exclusive DLC for it...well then isn't you decision made right there? Even if you dont plan on playing the additional content - you are getting more value for the same price.

MS wins right?
Actually I know this sounds crazy but if I had a 360 I'd still get it for the PS3 because I'm so used to controlling GTA with the PS controller. :lol

That extra content is tempting though if it really is the size of Vice city or SA... When will the dlc come out?

I guess if I did own both systems I'd get it on PS3 first then try and get the game used in time for the Xbox's dlc. But I'm sticking with the ps3 :)

jet1911

InterMoniker said:
Actually I know this sounds crazy but if I had a 360 I'd still get it for the PS3 because I'm so used to controlling GTA with the PS controller. :lol

That extra content is tempting though if it really is the size of Vice city or SA... When will the dlc come out?

I guess if I did own both systems I'd get it on PS3 first then try and get the game used in time for the Xbox's dlc. But I'm sticking with the ps3 :)

The first episode is supposed to come out in August I think.

Shivering Isles was an expansion pack to Oblivion and cost $30. It was a new explorable world populated with dozens of new monsters/NPCs, quests, and dungeons. The analogy to GTA IV, would be adding an entire new borough to Liberty City, significantly enlarging the game area.

The DLC were little add-ons costing around $5. Like a new campaign location with a backstory and special magic item or the infamous horse armor.

I'm inclined to believe the exclusive DLC will be somewhere in between the two but more similar to the latter description. I hope I'm wrong, because that would be awesome to see a new island to explore. I don't think a $50 million dollar loan is enough to secure something that tasty.

I estimate each of the two DLCs will cost around $10-15 consisting of like someone said, new quest hubs, new NPCs to meet and do jobs for, some new interior locations,
(like a museum to steal a priceless masterpiece, case the joint first, plan your method i.e brute force robbery, or disable the alarm and burglarize at night) new weapons, new vehicles, maybe a new radio station etc..

I believe I read somewhere each DLC was to add 10 hours of gameplay ? I got around 400-500 hours out of GTA3. What a mind blowing experience. :D

It will be bigger than a lot of people think. GTA3 Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIV

How did Rockstar have time to make something that huge coming out this summer ?
He's trying to give the direct impression the DLC will be new cities on the order of Liberty City in GTA IV ?

I don't buy it.

Wollan

Death Dealer said:
How did Rockstar have time to make something that huge coming out this summer ?
He's trying to give the direct impression that the DLC will be entirely new cities on the order of Liberty City ?

I don't buy it.
They haven't. There's no real 'news' here.
It's been detailed as Liberty Stories affair since the start. Basically you will most likely have missions ranging over pre-existing areas + probably a new island or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom