• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone knows the best place to preorder? I've already decided to buy the special edition version now I just need to know which place has the best pre-order item.

Amazon has the GTA license plate.

ref=amb_link_6003642_1

Are there any other retail outlets that are offering anything more than what is in the special edition package?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Crusade said:
Is it me or does Niko just not look cool no matter how he's dressed? He's too damn ugly

He looks rough. That's what's cool about it, sick of pretty boys, this gen is all about hard ass mofos.

X26

Banned
In a lot of these screens Niko is dressed differently. Either the player can wear whatever they want or you automatically change at the start of certain missions and then when it's over you go back to the default outfit. I'm hoping for the former.

Wollan

I think Nico will be quite well accepted among Euro players.
I've seen several US folks comment that he looks too ugly or that his voice work is too funny but whenever it comes up over here we just silently look at each, make a DeNiro grimace and nod. ;(

Crusade

WrikaWrek said:
He looks rough. That's what's cool about it, sick of pretty boys, this gen is all about hard ass mofos.
He doesn't look rough at all to me, he looks like the average boring guy you see walking down the street who gets pushed around by his supermarket store manager everyday.

We all know he was based on this guy:

enemy4.jpg

That looks cool and rough, Niko just doesn't.

It's the weak shoulders and ugly nose

painey

I think Niko looks awful and very un-human, but with shades on like in the pic on this page he looks great, they hide his bad face model.

Draft

X26 said:
In a lot of these screens Niko is dressed differently. Either the player can wear whatever they want or you automatically change at the start of certain missions and then when it's over you go back to the default outfit. I'm hoping for the former.
I'm sure you can change his clothes. Gamers don't want to admit it, but secretly, we all enjoy playing Barbie with our game characters.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Crusade said:
He doesn't look rough at all to me, he looks like the average boring guy you see walking down the street who gets pushed around by his supermarket store manager everyday.

What? Geez, i know i wouldn't mess around with an Ukranian/Russian what have you from that region.

Crusade said:
Yes, but it's quite clear.
grand-theft-auto-iv-20070626091437861_640w.jpg

And either way, Niko would be more awesome if he looked more like that anyway

I'm not saying there isn't some inspiration, I just don't think their goal was for him to look just like that guy or else they would've made sure he did.

Crusade

WrikaWrek said:
What? Geez, i know i wouldn't mess around with an Ukranian/Russian what have you from that region.
Just saying he looks boring and average. Nothing compelling or intimidating about him, even though he appears to have that sort of personality

WrikaWrek

Banned
Crusade said:
Just saying he looks boring and average. Nothing compelling or intimidating about him, even though he appears to have that sort of personality

Who would've thought Mat Damon had it in him to be the most bad ass assassin spy Hollywood had ever seen?

IF you are just looking at a picture sure he might not look badass right out of the bag like the dude from Kane and Lynch, but hearing them talk, this dude looks much more full of personality.

It's not about looking bad ass in looks only....

Crusade

WrikaWrek said:
Who would've thought Mat Damon had it in him to be the most bad ass assassin spy Hollywood had ever seen?

IF you are just looking at a picture sure he might not look badass right out of the bag like the dude from Kane and Lynch, but hearing them talk, this dude looks much more full of personality.

It's not about looking bad ass in looks only....
He's got a bit of a weasly voice, so if he ends up being a bad ass it'll probably take a lot of story development. Chances are he is supposed to be a weak little guy in big New York at the start of the game so

WrikaWrek

Banned
Crusade said:
He's got a bit of a weasly voice, so if he ends up being a bad ass it'll probably take a lot of story development. Chances are he is supposed to be a weak little guy in big New York at the start of the game so

Lol, why? One story sequence can turn him into a total bad ass. It's so easy to make someone a bad ass it's not even funny.

What's not easy is to make someone an interesting type of bad ass.

Crusade said:

I'd say this alone confirms how badass Niko will be.

The thief is scheduled to meet McReary near a park at a lookout spot in order to exchange a suitcase of cash for a memory stick with some incriminating photos. Neither McReary nor Niko knows what the thief looks like, which is where a bit of investigative phone calling comes into play. Once Niko is at the spot and in position to see everyone in the area, he calls the thief's cell phone. Scanning the crowd and picking out someone who may be on the other end of the phone, Niko keeps him talking while he gets closer, then hangs up to see if his potential target follows suit. He does and confirms his identity, so Niko quickly pulls a gun and fires two shots into his face.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/807/807625p2.html

Weak little guy? Hardly.

Crusade

WrikaWrek said:
Lol, why? One story sequence can turn him into a total bad ass. It's so easy to make someone a bad ass it's not even funny.

What's not easy is to make someone an interesting type of bad ass.
I don't want it to feel contrived. Having a weak looking and sounding guy killing guys in missions without batting an eye. Niko should feel like he's getting in over his head and eventually rise above it IMO

In PS2 GTA games you were a prisoners and gangsters. As far as we know, Niko seems to be a pretty average guy looking to make the "dream" in America

X26

Banned
Crusade said:
I don't want it to feel contrived. Having a weak looking and sounding guy killing guys in missions without batting an eye. Niko should feel like he's getting in over his head and eventually rise above it IMO

In PS2 GTA games you were a prisoners and gangsters. As far as we know, Niko seems to be a pretty average guy looking to make the "dream" in America

...in the first trailer he talks about how he's killed and smuggled people

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Crusade said:

I'm going to assume you didn't watch the first trailer because of spoilers or you just completely forgot about it.

Wollan

Was told by a EB employee here in AU that they always end up breaking street dates here and every store follows. I will stand ready.

Mamesj

Banned
Crusade said:

I thought that was the point of GTA games-- a normal joe making a "Scarface" like run for the top.

Wollan said:
Was told by a EB employee here in AU that they always end up breaking street dates here and every store follows. I will stand ready.
Oh snap get me a copy too!

;0

If I can find a store here (in the U.S.) that will do the same I'll try and get this game early no doubt. :D

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
kylej said:
Wow. Time flies I guess. The wait for San Andreas was agonizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgV1XN1TD8I

still one of the best video game trailers of all time.
Oh man. I still remember the site I was on, the OP who first posted it, and how excited it got me.

Good times.

Jtwo said:
I think Nico seems cooler than CJ.
Until he free falls from one airplane to another and rips off the biggest mob boss in Liberty city and then taunts him about it he will never be cooler than CJ :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Futureman said:
Are there any videos of people just playing the game?

If any previous releases are indication, we won't get any until the release day.

I could be wrong though, but that's how I remember it.

cindah

Banned
If I recall correctly, for San Andreas, the HUD wasn't even revealed before the game came out. I think it was shown from some leaked screenshots from a Mexican magazine or website or something. I don't think there has ever been actual gameplay videos released officially or unofficially for any of these games.

Niko looks fine. Good on R* for trying something a little different with this character.

Wasn't I just reading a GAF thread yesterday filled with hate for Fracture's BSMs?

I know there is another thread about it . . . but this is a GTA aspect . . .

The TTWO folks must be HUGELY confident in GTA IV. They just turned down a buy-out offer with a 65% premium. In their response rejecting the offer, TTWO said:

"While the Board believes that entering into discussions with EA at this time is not in the best interests of shareholders, we had offered to enter into a good-faith dialogue with EA to determine if our companies can reach common ground on the appropriate value of Take-Two as a first step to realizing a mutually beneficially transaction. However, given the great importance of the Grand Theft Auto IV launch to the value of Take-Two, the Board has determined that the only prudent and responsible course for our Company and its stockholders is to defer these discussions until immediately after Grand Theft Auto IV is released. Therefore, we offered to initiate discussions with EA on April 30th, 2008 (the day after Grand Theft Auto IV is scheduled to release).

newsguy

speculawyer said:
I know there is another thread about it . . . but this is a GTA aspect . . .

The TTWO folks must be HUGELY confident in GTA IV. They just turned down a buy-out offer with a 65% premium. In their response rejecting the offer, TTWO said:

Smart company. GTA will sell in disgusting amounts.

Salazar

newsguy said:
Smart company. GTA will sell in disgusting amounts.

If I was involved in making the game and stood to proft from GTAIV, the day after it released I would be in no condition to participate in any kind of corporate meeting. You would smell the Krug over the phone.

alba

Little is the new Big
I hope they make a second wave of "updates" on the official website with more little videos and character intros, the wait is really killing me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom