• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
RadarScope1 said:
Niko looks fine. Good on R* for trying something a little different with this character.

Wasn't I just reading a GAF thread yesterday filled with hate for Fracture's BSMs?

Niko does look fine, R* is awesome for mixing it up a bit with GTA.

Himuro said:
No he wasn't. He was a fucking tool who never knew what he wanted to do. If her were a "typical hardcore black guy" the game would have been much better. Instead, he goes from gangster to fuckng James Bond. Fuck that shit.

Someone define "typical hardcore black guy" for me. The things that CJ does in GTA: San andreas isn't typical to anyone, let alone the "typical hardcore black guy", if this guy exists.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Crusade said:
He doesn't look rough at all to me, he looks like the average boring guy you see walking down the street who gets pushed around by his supermarket store manager everyday.

We all know he was based on this guy:

enemy4.jpg

That looks cool and rough, Niko just doesn't.

It's the weak shoulders and ugly nose

niko looks cool, yet not cliche which is perfect.

im sick of all the generic ass characters of gaming

see leads of uncharted, resistence, ARMY OF TWO

oh and niko definitely isnt suppose to seem like that dude.

Mindlog

Salazar said:
If I was involved in making the game and stood to proft from GTAIV, the day after it released I would be in no condition to participate in any kind of corporate meeting. You would smell the Krug over the phone.

:lol

How is the relationship between R* and Take-Two anyways? Doesn't some contract with R* North expire next year?

Crap on a stick 2 more months :(

and yeah, I think Niko is great. Then again it's not as if I care too much hehe. Game, give mme the game!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Himuro said:
No he wasn't. He was a fucking tool who never knew what he wanted to do. If her were a "typical hardcore black guy" the game would have been much better. Instead, he goes from gangster to fuckng James Bond. Fuck that shit.
what? despite the missions you get later in the game, cj still acts cj the whole way through

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Himuro said:
I just want to play as a gangster, not James Bond.

During mission brief:

CJ: You want me to KILL someone?!!?

That's CJ through and through. CJ sucks.
what? CJ wasnt a killer. What am i missing? How is this james bond?

You guys are acting ridiculous.

Let's get down to the questions at hand. How many potential endings does this game offer? I think it's more then one!

Rockstar has been paying attention to a lot of genres. They most certainly haven't been ignorant of the best story driven games out there. They ALL contain multiple endings in some regard.

I'm going to present a BAN WORTHY prediction.
Multiple endings or I get a 3 month ban.
Lets go.

X26

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
ugh

im just gunna let you feel smart.

- CJ infiltrating an aircraft carrier, hijacking a harrier, and tkaing out a bunch of military jets
- Infiltrating Area 51 and stealing a jet pack
- Boarding a plane with a motorcycle, planting a bomb, and skydiving out as it blows up
etc.

Bond, CJ Bond.

Anyways I hope there's assassin sidemissions like in VC. They were completely optional, but some of the best missions in the entire game (Autocide!).

X26

Banned
Can't really remember them in GTA3, save something about dog food. I do know that they weren't in SA though, which was really dissapointing

dejay

Banned
Himuro said:
I just want to play as a gangster, not James Bond.

Funny, I wanted to play as James Bond, or at least someone who does better stuff than your average ghetto gangster. I didn't like the missions so much before CJ got to the second island, which is where the game gets entertaining for me. I didn't give a shit about some shitty 'hood and hated being tied to it in the game by some fucked up moral code.

X26 said:
- CJ infiltrating an aircraft carrier, hijacking a harrier, and tkaing out a bunch of military jets
- Infiltrating Area 51 and stealing a jet pack
- Boarding a plane with a motorcycle, planting a bomb, and skydiving out as it blows up
etc.

Bond, CJ Bond.

Anyways I hope there's assassin sidemissions like in VC. They were completely optional, but some of the best missions in the entire game (Autocide!).
Those were great mission, I really liked them, they were very memorable moments in that game. It was so much different than the rest of the game. I wouldn't mind seeing more "over the top" mission.

newsguy

Himuro said:
That just isn't GTA to me.

Speaking of being GTA, I wonder if sniper headshots are getting the full treatment. I know it seems like something trivial and I know part 4 is moving towards realism. It's realistic that a 50 cal will take a person's head clean off, so here's hoping it stays in. I'm just used to seeing it, and when I had a headshot in Saint's Row and saw no blood it felt off.

speculawyer said:
I know there is another thread about it . . . but this is a GTA aspect . . .

The TTWO folks must be HUGELY confident in GTA IV. They just turned down a buy-out offer with a 65% premium. In their response rejecting the offer, TTWO said:

Well, I'm not the only one with this view of how the merger action indicates GTA 4 must be AWESOME:

Wilson at Pacific Crest said Take-Two's rejection of the offer means that the quality of the latest ``Grand Theft'' may exceed Wall Street's expectations. The series is known for its graphic violence as players commit robberies and assassinations to rise through the ranks of organized crime.

``If they thought Grand Theft Auto had any chance of being a letdown, they would absolutely jump at the $26 offer price,'' Wilson said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ay8SLnpDfQCs&refer=home

Ranger X

I wonder what's so bad about those supposedly James Bond like mission in SA. We have no more heroes today. We need stuff like that. The "normal guy doing normal things" is getting way too ala mode and tired. What about a mix? (just like SA).

Seriously those missions are part of what kept me playing. I remember begin on the verge of stopping when that Area51 mission happened and it totally hooked me back. Loved the jetpack.

X26

Banned
newsguy said:
Speaking of being GTA, I wonder if sniper headshots are getting the full treatment. I know it seems like something trivial and I know part 4 is moving towards realism. It's realistic that a 50 cal will take a person's head clean off, so here's hoping it stays in. I'm just used to seeing it, and when I had a headshot in Saint's Row and saw no blood it felt off.

I'd like to see that, but I doubt it. Sofar no indication of bullet holes in people you shoot or blood platter (although Niko does get blood).

One of the most important changes I want to see with the weapons is that I want them to feel like they have some weight to them, in previous GTA's everything just felt too floaty. The improved physics will improve that and give Niko, characters, and vehicles a sense of weight, but as for weapons, who knows.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
newsguy said:

A little Gears of War sniper action would be glorious. When you consider the reactive AI, it could make for some wonderful moments.

Rallyhawk

I think the only problem that I had with CJ was that in the actual narrative, he was portrayed as more or less a "decent" guy. Sure, he was pretty accepting of drugs and other questionable (to some) things, but he had a decent moral core. And as a character, that made him really great and different (in GTA, at least).

However, this was a problem for me when I couldn't reconcile the narrative-CJ with how I played the game in my "off-time", ie. hit and run, prostitute-killing, and other murderous fun. It made in GTA3 and VC for my guy to do all those things, but not "my poor mom is dead and I'm really a sensitive guy" CJ.

As we get closer to release, I'm finally starting to pay attention to GTA4. SA was such a let down after VC that I just haven't had the energy to get hyped about this game. Things that made me put down SA and never pick it back up.

Had to keep a girlfriend happy - Maybe this is the fantasy of the target market, but I've got a wife to keep happy and play games to get away from that.

Territories - I don't even remember how they worked, I just remember they pissed me off.

Long drives that lead nowhere - I understand that they were trying to give you a sense of scale, but christ it sucked driving out into the country, falling in a river and having to swim forever, just to realize that you are in the wrong area.

5 star police for being on the wrong island - Part of the fun of VC was trying to set up a jump to get to the other island before it opened up. SA not only killed that fun, but replaced it with annoying times when you're trying to get away from someone and end up accidentally on an island too early and get owned by the police.

I for one hope they go back to the VC model.

FFChris

Himuro said:

I thought we were talking specifically about the look of the character. I've never played SA, so I can't comment on anything else! I played VC a bunch of times, then got a bit bored with the whole franchise, and I've never got round to playing SA I'm ashamed to admit.

GTAIV has rekindled my interest though. Niko doesn't look like your typical tough guy character, which I find interesting and the graphics are a big draw of course!

X26

Banned
PrivateWHudson said:
Had to keep a girlfriend happy - Maybe this is the fantasy of the target market, but I've got a wife to keep happy and play games to get away from that.

Girlfriends seem to be back, and although the whole topic is vague it's clear that it won't be how it was in SA.

Each successive 3d GTA wasn't as fun to me as the last.
GTA3 was megabomb. VC was a lot of fun. SA didn't hype me enough to play the console version, I was content to wait for PC and never bothered to finish that game. The micromanagement of the turfs, after you finally return to San Andreas to clean up loose ends, got tiring. But I'm confident GTA IV, by virtue of being a new game from the ground up, will capture the magic. Long live the republic, long live GTA !

MrTroubleMaker said:

I swear some of the inspiration has got to come from the seedy characters of the Caine classic, Get Carter.
He looks just like the guy that took Carter out at the end of the film, rifle in hand and all.

HolyStar

Banned
PrivateWHudson said:
As we get closer to release, I'm finally starting to pay attention to GTA4. SA was such a let down after VC that I just haven't had the energy to get hyped about this game. Things that made me put down SA and never pick it back up.

Territories - I don't even remember how they worked, I just remember they pissed me off.

Long drives that lead nowhere - I understand that they were trying to give you a sense of scale, but christ it sucked driving out into the country, falling in a river and having to swim forever, just to realize that you are in the wrong area.

5 star police for being on the wrong island - Part of the fun of VC was trying to set up a jump to get to the other island before it opened up. SA not only killed that fun, but replaced it with annoying times when you're trying to get away from someone and end up accidentally on an island too early and get owned by the police.

I for one hope they go back to the VC model.

Part of the reason SA fucked you if you went on the wrong island is because it was so easy (you could just swim across). In VC, you have to manipulate the game and do a bunch of stuff to get over their.

newsguy

Death Dealer said:
Each successive 3d GTA wasn't as fun to me as the last.
GTA3 was megabomb. VC was a lot of fun. SA didn't hype me enough to play the console version, I was content to wait for PC and never bothered to finish that game. The micromanagement of the turfs, after you finally return to San Andreas to clean up loose ends, got tiring. But I'm confident GTA IV, by virtue of being a new game from the ground up, will capture the magic. Long live the republic, long live GTA !

Yeah, 4 seems to be getting back to the roots. Less micromanagement all around. It seems like SA was R* guinea pig cause they knew it would be the last of the gen. The feedback would lead to what changes they made to the next gen version.

Ranger X

I didn't find it confusing at all to know on wich island i was supposed to be in SA. And resisting to the police on the other islands was WAYYYY awesomer than a road block in previous GTAs

RumFore

Banned
Replaying part III right now on the PC as I never finished it though I went on to play and finish all the others including PSP versions. I cant frigging wait. Part III which is now ancient I think is more close to real life than a lot of other games. Getting IV for 360 but nearly 100% sure I will also getting it for PC also being that GTA:SA really shined on the PC.

MercuryLS

Banned
dejay said:
Funny, I wanted to play as James Bond, or at least someone who does better stuff than your average ghetto gangster. I didn't like the missions so much before CJ got to the second island, which is where the game gets entertaining for me. I didn't give a shit about some shitty 'hood and hated being tied to it in the game by some fucked up moral code.

Funny, cause that's when I put down the game. Those vast, empty countrysides drove me nuts. No more of that R*!

The first part of GTA:SA was brilliant.

Tr4nce

Yes, dude. That is old, just scroll upwards for crying out loud :D Anyway, aren't we supposed to get more info tomorrow or something? GTA4.net says so. Can't wait.

New previews on Thursday fellas.

Earlier this month we revealed that a selection of privileged websites were receiving hands-on demonstrations of GTA IV, and that previews were due to be published some time around the 27th of this month. We now have a confirmed date for those previews, and that is Thursday 28th February, which is two days from now. You can expect previews from Kikizo, GameSpot, IGN, and the usual suspects. We don't know the exact time of release yet, but expect it to be around 5PM or 6PM (GMT).

http://www.gta4.net/news/index.php

Tr4nce said:
Ehm, I'm not sure if it's allowed to link to a page with scans dude. Best edit your post before you get banned ;) But thanks for the link!

Crap, well there is some new stuff in that preview, screens and what not.

I love the idea of shooting someone, watching them fall down a flight of stairs, into water, and then climbing back out to continue the fight. I think Euphoria is going to be the makings for some amazing random stuff in this game.

MrCompletely said:
I love the idea of shooting someone, watching them fall down a flight of stairs, into water, and then climbing back out to continue the fight. I think Euphoria is going to be the makings for some amazing random stuff in this game.
It was pretty cool in Bioshock when you set some enemies on fire and they would run for a pool of water to put out the fire and then rejoin the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom