• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldrusher

bx1c6.jpg

(not new, but it's awesome and this page needed a screenshot)

newsguy

speculawyer said:
It was pretty cool in Bioshock when you set some enemies on fire and they would run for a pool of water to put out the fire and then rejoin the fight.

I don't know what you speak of. Enemies who jumped in the water received a jolt of electricity strong enough to fry their plasmid using asses :D

Goldrusher

The hotwiring sequence was extremely quick - Rockstar said that various cars will take different lengths of time to hotwire, however it isn't a skill as such, it's a button mechanic: the faster you pull the right trigger, the quicker you’ll hotwire the car, so it will take a degree of practise.

So it's a "pull the right trigger when it shows up on the screen" mini-game ?

newsguy

Fuzyfrog said:
Wow Rockstar are really pimping GTAIV at the moment.

They flew over to little ol New Zealand to give Gameplanet NZ a hands on.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/features/129532.20080221.Close-up-Grand-Theft-Auto-IV/

Once again the first chase gets a different outcome. It's amazing that I've read R* give this preview to like 10 different sites and this mission (which is partially scripted) always gets a different end. It should end at a bridge where Rivas gets out of his vehicle and you shoot him. This time I guess the car gets too much damage and he jumps out while the car explodes. I think that when I see missions that may vary I'm going to try them over for different outcomes, although I don't know if that's possible with the new autosave feature.

Soroc

newsguy said:
although I don't know if that's possible with the new autosave feature.

At least the save houses are still in the game. You could always just save a new file before a big mission and then go back to that save to replay the mission. :D

Man everyday I keep getting more and more hyped for this game, I can't wait till tomorrow for all these previews to hit.

newsguy

Soroc said:
At least the save houses are still in the game. You could always just save a new file before a big mission and then go back to that save to replay the mission. :D

Man everyday I keep getting more and more hyped for this game, I can't wait till tomorrow for all these previews to hit.

I didn't know the save houses were still there. Awesome thanks for the info. In fact, the ONLY thing I will use them for is to replay long missions and get new outcomes. As for actually saving progress, I'm more than thankful that R* added autosave. I remember playing literally an entire afternoon, and having to go somewhere in a rush. Completely forgot to go to a house and lost everything. No matter how good the game, it's damn disheartening to have to do so much shit over again.

Tr4nce

I just remembered something I experienced when playing GTA: SA. It was on a Friday morning I popped the disc into my PS2, and invited a friend of mine. We then all played afternoon until like six o' clock and then stopped and went outside, back into real life. It was so weird to see the real sunlight and everything, because we had been so immersed into the game for the whole afternoon. :lol

This is only going to get worse with GTA IV, because every preview talks about how alive Liberty City feels and how real it feels. Awesome.

kylej

Banned
Tr4nce said:
I just remembered something I experienced when playing GTA: SA. It was on a Friday morning I popped the disc into my PS2, and invited a friend of mine. We then all played afternoon until like six o' clock and then stopped and went outside, back into real life. It was so weird to see the real sunlight and everything, because we had been so immersed into the game for the whole afternoon. :lol

This is only going to get worse with GTA IV, because every preview talks about how alive Liberty City feels and how real it feels. Awesome.

2 friends and I played Vice City for nearly 72 straight hours when it was first released. That was the most unhealthy 3 day weekend I have ever had.

We're nearly 2 months away from release.

Any news of midnight openings? That's going to be the deciding factor on where I pre-order.

Filing for my day-off next week.

allreal

when sa came out i ditched school for a week. my friend was suspended for 5 days so we played, nonstop. while smoking meth. good times.

newsguy

MrCompletely said:

Any news of midnight openings? That's going to be the deciding factor on where I pre-order.

Yes, YMMV but gamestops are doing it. The store I pre-ordered at will do it and it's not a big store.

Himuro, the outcome this time was that he jumped out while the car was still moving and it ran into a bunch of peds and exploded.

MrCompletely said:

My Gamestop says they plan on doing one.

Mindlog

kylej said:
2 friends and I played Vice City for nearly 72 straight hours when it was first released. That was the most unhealthy 3 day weekend I have ever had.

:lol

Online multiplayer is going to magnify the possibility for gameplay overload by a factor of 70

I hope we get more info on that side of the game soon.

-Nice pic on the page, Crackdown! :D

This will probably be the first game I ever go to one of those lame ass midnight openings for (no insult intended to those who frequent them ;P)

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Mindlog said:
I hope we get more info on that side of the game soon.

I think the EGM exclusive to hit stands mid-March is going to cover Multiplayer. So, subscribers should be getting it very soon...

newsguy

It's bedtime for many, so here's the night time bump to remind you all that tomorrow is the big day. I hope it's like the first round of previews where there were like 8 different demos. Kikizo better do another 8 pager!

squicken

Can a regular make sure a new thread is created tomorrow and not bury the info in this thread of pre-hype and false starts? Mega-threads suck.

FightyF

Banned
MMaRsu said:

:lol :lol :lol

*bangs head against desk*

I made it a point to avoid this thread, for the longest time, because it just makes the wait so much harder for me.

I popped in once, saw too much, vowed to not come here until March.

But then I don't know what consumed me, I clicked and upon seeing these screens, I'm so pumped, I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight. Sad, yes...but true.

Loudninja said:
Really? I did not know they were going to preview the PS3 version.

It's not confirmed but in the last previews IGN said that in a few weeks they'd a gets a look at the PS3 version as well as the multiplayer.

dejay

Banned
29785.img

This screen is awesome for some reason. I love the way the cranes and buildings look in the distance and the way the distant lights bloom in the fog. To think I'll be in this sandbox city in a couple of months brings joy to my heart.

Higher res HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom