• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

reminder

TheKingOfSheep said:
I read this article / post on Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/361658/gta-iv-cleared-for-german-release

What does this mean for the violence in this game?
I mean, I am sorry if I am offending anyone with this, but the only reason I luv the Gta franchise is because you can go wild in 'a living breathing city.' So I expect to be able to go next gen wild in this new Liberty City incarnation.

Thoughts?

It's the first time a GTA game receives a 18+ rating from the german USK. All other GTA games were cut to receive a 16+ rating. GTA IV will be uncut everywhere, even here in germany this time. :)

mandiller

The game looks awesome. The only thing I'm worried about now is the framerate of the game. The trailers they've released make it look like the game runs an abysmal amount of frames per second. Hopefully the real thing is actually smooth. 30+fps constantly. No slowdowns!

If I get that I'll be a happy camper with nothing to worry about, sounds like they nailed everything else.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Was the PS3 preview from PSM3 posted yet?

If so, fuck.

If not,

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=125210

From ps3forums

They explain GTA 4 controls and show that you press circle to punch and square to kick, also show that when you hit R1 you go in cover. Also they show you have three movement speed, walking , jogging and Sprinting.They say that at some places you can climb objects like Assasins Creed with the square button.They show how the phone works, Down on the d pad and \it makes it appear at the bottom of the screen.You can jack cars in GTA 4, break the glass with L1 and then you cut wires to make the car start. You can go in NetCafe to go on the internet in the game.
• According to the journalists, the first hands-on minutes were enough to solidify their feelings of how the game is going to kick ass.

• Liberty City has more streets than any other game in the genre.

• You cannot enter every building. However, you can interact with most of them. Rooftops, stairways, fire escapes, partial interiors, etc.

• Niko will not be able to manage property, gangs or trade.

• Bowling, dart games, drinking games, strip clubs and night clubs will be available.

• The core of GTA IV is all about the human relationship.

• Sometimes, your contacts may call you during a hard mission to ask you a service. In this instance, you can choose between the mission or whatever your contact is asking. If you ditch your mission to do things with your phone contact, you may see consequences. Whether or not you will be able to replay the mission that you went away from remains to be seen.

• The new impression of seeing a next generation living, breathing city is absolutely stunning.

• The pedestrian population density changes between the place/borough you are in.

• If you walk around the street with a gun in your hand, pedestrians who have a phone can call the police.

• In one instance when Niko tried to carjack someone, the scared innocent driver sped away so fast that he hit two cars.

• During the first mission that the journalists played, they tried to carjack someone without a gun. The driver beat up Niko. Niko got beat up so bad that he ended up at the hospital.

• Pedestrians react in a very realistic way. The journalists said that it is as if each person in the game leads his/her own life.

• It took 15 minutes to go through 2/3 of Manhattan with a boat. It took 10 minutes by car to go through Brooklyn and Central Park.

• The cars can be destroyed very realistically. Every part of the car can bend and fold.

• GTA IV has a wider variety of mission types. The missions are more difficult than in previous games.

• The game is done. Most clipping bugs are gone. The game is super smooth in terms of frame rate. (Note: The game is not 100% done. It is not "gold" yet.)

• If you press the jump button, Niko can climb everywhere. In other words, wall climbing from San Andreas has returned. You can strafe on walls, too.

• There is a swimming club.

• If you have five stars, it's very difficult to escape from the cops. They are everywhere and they don't joke with you. They are smarter than in previous incarnations of the series.

• While in a boat, the sound effects are awesome. You can hear the sound of the waves that beat the front of the boat.

• With powerful weapons, you can shoot through the walls.

• The weather that was seen during the four hours of gameplay included fog, rain, sun and clouds. A variety of colors can be seen depending on the time of day.

• When you die, you pay $100 but you get to keep your weapons.

• When you go to jail after getting busted, you pay more than $100 and you lose your weapons.

• While you are drunk, it's very difficult to control Niko. The drunk sensation is perfectly done.

• When stealing a car from a pedestrian, Niko didn't get into the car before the pedestrian sped up. Niko held onto the car as the pedestrian glided along the road. (Note: It may have been the pedestrian holding on to a car Niko was in. The translation is sketchy.)

• Choppers with search lights are in the game.

• Women will striptease in strip clubs when you pay.

• Depending on the borough you are in, pedestrians may speak different languages. Italian, Chinese and those in the Bronx are different when it comes to language.

• Health kits are available only in buildings.

• Grenade and molotov cocktail sound effects are stunning.

Soroc

mandiller said:
Hopefully the real thing is actually smooth. 30+fps constantly. No slowdowns!

I am really skeptical that they will eliminate slowdowns, If they do, this game may end up being the best engineering achievement of this generation. The game is just too big and detailed to not have any slowdowns.

If R* nails it though I will bow down to my new overlords of chaos!

Nameless

My copy is pre-ordered and my 3 days of vacation time has been put in. This already looking like one of the best games ever, if every mission can be played via online co-op this WILL be the best game ever. I don't see why you couldn't do this since in San Andreas you could recruit NPCs to help you out with every single mission if you wanted to. GTA is built for co-op.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Game of the Year.

Called it last year with Bioshock, calling it now without even having the game. Everything else is going to drool compared to this game.

Dr_Cogent said:
Game of the Year.

Called it last year with Bioshock, calling it now without even having the game. Everything else is going to drool compared to this game.

I agree. As much as you can excited about all the details we read about in previews, I think the X-Factor is going to be immersion, and that's what's going to catapult this game over every single other one in the calendar year 2008. If they pull it off right, nothing will be able to match the sensation of driving through New York City and being able to do whatever the fuck you want.

Soroc

Yeah I agree. With every preview I've read, I honestly think the most "next gen" thing about this game might just be the audio. Its whats really going to make this game feel lived in and alive.

They explain GTA 4 controls and show that you press circle to punch and square to kick, also show that when you hit R1 you go in cover. Also they show you have three movement speed, walking , jogging and Sprinting.They say that at some places you can climb objects like Assasins Creed with the square button.They show how the phone works, Down on the d pad and \it makes it appear at the bottom of the screen.You can jack cars in GTA 4, break the glass with L1 and then you cut wires to make the car start. You can go in NetCafe to go on the internet in the game.

FUCK!

GTAIV WITH SHOOTING MAPPED TO R2!!!!

noooooooOOOOOOO!!!!

Dr_Cogent said:
Game of the Year.

I know I'm biased but if a lot of what we are hearing is true and it works well, this will be GOTY.

Madman

mandiller said:
The game looks awesome. The only thing I'm worried about now is the framerate of the game. The trailers they've released make it look like the game runs an abysmal amount of frames per second. Hopefully the real thing is actually smooth. 30+fps constantly. No slowdowns!

If I get that I'll be a happy camper with nothing to worry about, sounds like they nailed everything else.
:lol I hope you aren't being serious.

Cardon

Himuro said:
New info from Swedish mag:

# You can precision throw grenades.
# You can break dumpsters, fire hydrants, bushes and park -benches with your car.
# With the new wanted system, it's practically impossible to escape from two police cars and helicopters.
# No boats will stop to help you if you swim in the 10°C water.
# While sailing with a sailing boat, Niko gets outrun by people jogging on the shore.
# Being chased by police cars and at the same time having a female voice giving directions is priceless.
# A lot of thing resembles to American gangster movies such as The Usual Suspects and Heat.

This make me very happy. All it needs is a massive bank shootout mission.

The Chef

Himuro said:
New info from Swedish mag:

# You can precision throw grenades.
# You can break dumpsters, fire hydrants, bushes and park -benches with your car.
# With the new wanted system, it's practically impossible to escape from two police cars and helicopters.
# No boats will stop to help you if you swim in the 10°C water.
# While sailing with a sailing boat, Niko gets outrun by people jogging on the shore.
# Being chased by police cars and at the same time having a female voice giving directions is priceless.
# A lot of thing resembles to American gangster movies such as The Usual Suspects and Heat

Thats seriously what I was hoping for

neptunes said:
promise me no more forklift missions and I'm there day one!

or at least ditch the tank controls when in one :(

I vote for no Remote Control Toy Vehicles plaes.

David Cross vox are still welcome. Actually, maybe a criminal cabal voiced by Zach Galifianakis, Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, and Maria Bamford? Call themselves The Criminals Of Criminaliality?

jett

D-Member
Different buttons for punch and kick? Huh, okay. Shooting mapped to R2 is gonna be weird...everything else sounds awesome. I sure hope the PS3 version didn't get the short end of the stick.

jett said:
Different buttons for punch and kick? Huh, okay. Shooting mapped to R2 is gonna be weird...everything else sounds awesome. I sure hope the PS3 version didn't get the short end of the stick.

We'll find out if it did not too long from now.

BobJustBob said:
Fuck! The missions are the worst part of any GTA game and I hate when I have to replay them.

The missions that have been described for GTA4 so far have sounded really good. A new combat system can go a long way in making even the old mission types a lot more fun.

AgentOtaku said:
FUCK!

GTAIV WITH SHOOTING MAPPED TO R2!!!!

noooooooOOOOOOO!!!!
jett said:
Fuck they better put the shooting on R1 or at least let you change controls. I fucking hate using R2 to shoot with.

painey

Madman said:
That fucking RC airplane mission in SA was ridiculous. New controls won't help something like that.

It was optional. The hardest missions in GTA imo were learning to fly the real planes in San Andreas and in the previous game where you have to drive a bus from the crushing yard with all the guys drive-bying you.

duffey

ZmillA said:
whats wrong with shooting on R2? isnt that like how all other shooters do it? (saints row also did that)
The triggers on the PS3 are pretty bad, hence why people are angry.

Also, can't wait for the embargo to be lifted!

Madman

painey said:
It was optional. The hardest missions in GTA imo were learning to fly the real planes in San Andreas and in the previous game where you have to drive a bus from the crushing yard with all the guys drive-bying you.
I found the real airplane missions pretty easy. That RC mission sucked. Why they had to put your fuel at such a low amount I'll never know. I guess to make it harder, as if trying to fly a RC plane around building/poles and shooting vehicles at the same time wasn't hard enough.

chubigans said:
Every single GTA game let you change the controls, why question this one?
Ok thanks I didn't know that because the controls were always so perfect before there was no need to change them.

First thing I'll do is is switch R1 for shooting and R2 for cover.

ZmillA said:
whats wrong with shooting on R2? isnt that like how all other shooters do it? (saints row also did that)

The difference between the X360's trigger and the PS3's R2 button is the issue. On the 360 my index finger defaults to the trigger buttons, but on the PS3 it defaults to R1. So, logic follows, that R1 should be shoot on PS3.

Madman

MaizeRage25 said:
The difference between the X360's trigger and the PS3's R2 button is the issue. On the 360 my index finger defaults to the trigger buttons, but on the PS3 it defaults to R1. So, logic follows, that R1 should be shoot on PS3.
What do you press RB and LB with? I use my middle finger for the triggers on both.
ZmillA said:
to make a crack about the 360 vs. PS3, or to not
Depends. If you are fond of posting here, I would say you probably don't want to risk it.

ZmillA

Banned
5 mins left
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom