• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZmillA said:
5 mins left
cool.gif

UNTIL WHATT!!!!!!!

For the first time, Rockstar gave us hands-on access to both the PS3 and 360 versions of GTA IV. The good news is that no matter which system you prefer, you're going to have a great-looking game to play. There are only some minor visual differences noticeable between the two preview versions. The 360 build is brighter and has slightly more vibrant color while the PS3 build has less aliasing issues.

Thank you Rockstar! It sounds like everyone is a winner with GTA4.

Mr Jared

Our preview has gone up as well-

http://www.gametap.com/home/read/article/4309

Here's a taste of the little details that we picked up-

-Dramatic vehicle jumps from previous games return.
-There are no returning characters from previous GTAs.
-A GPS system will tell you the optimal route for arriving at a mission checkpoint.
-You can plant waypoints anywhere in the city.
-The wanted rating can go up to six stars.
-Customization is restricted to clothing changes--no afros or anything like that.
-The fighting style Niko uses is krav maga.
-You can take a taxi or ride the subway to get to various points on the map. You can sit back and enjoy the ride or immediately jump from one point to the next.

Also, a blog-style entry from Giancarlo and Doug Perry on GTAIV-

http://www.gametap.com/home/read/article/4310

Wollan

Okay, the reason for locking off sections of the city really makes sense now.

After a recent terrorist attack the city becomes locked down. But you can still attempt to cross the borders but then you get a five star wanted declaration on you.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
When I first jumped into the game, I shot one of the cab drivers through the windshield and thought it was cool that he just slumped over in his car. But what I didn’t realize was that all of his dead weight would press down on the gas pedal, which caused the cab to barrel down on me and slam me into a wall.

HAhaha AWESOME! :lol

Goldrusher

- no cockpit view
- no topdown view
- Hummer H2 is named "Mammoth"
- no chainsaw
- storyline longer than San Andreas'
- hookers are back

- throttle/gas on X360 is the right trigger, ignite/start the car by holding it for a while a la Burnout Paradise

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Goldrusher said:
- no cockpit view
- no topdown view
- no chainsaw
- throttle/gas on X360 is the right trigger, ignite/start the car by holding it for a while a la Burnout Paradise
WTF??????????

Why do the pictures look like painting from this guy?
happylittletree_thumb001.jpg

Was IGN the only site that was shown the PS3 demo? I've scanned through some of the other previews and they mention that they didn't get to see it.

SolidSnakex said:
The missions that have been described for GTA4 so far have sounded really good. A new combat system can go a long way in making even the old mission types a lot more fun.

Actually the missions sound even worse than the ones from SA. Every game since GTA3 has made the missions more and more scripted, which means they're less and less fun. If I'm supposed to kill a guy, let me walk up and shoot him. Don't make me steal a blue van and then follow him around the city and then get ambushed and then escape my pursuers and then drive to an Ammunation and buy a meat cleaver and then find the guy again and fight through three dozen bodyguards and then the guy jumps out the window and I have to pick up the conveniently placed sniper rifle and shoot him within ten seconds before he gets away and I fail the mission. That shit sucks.

soul

GTA IV will take almost 100 hours to finish

videogamer.com said:
During our visit to Rockstar's London HQ for a hands-on with 2008's biggest game, we asked a spokesperson how long it would take to finish the series' next-gen debut. The answer: about 100 hours, if you take your time.

"If you're not in a rush and you answer the phone when it rings it'll take about 100 hours to complete", we were told. "It's harder to distinguish between main and side missions - there are loads of both. But there are more main missions than side missions. It's not as clear cut as it used to be because of the phone."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/28-02-2008-7645.html

Struct09

The visuals are acceptable for a game of this scope. The gameplay sounds amazing (good to hear they fixed the control issues!). Can't wait :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
"If you're not in a rush and you answer the phone when it rings it'll take about 100 hours to complete"

Hour-long phone calls confirmed.

As a PS3 owner with no hope for DLC, I will gladly pay for 100 hours of GTA IV, thank you very much. :D

"We also verified that there are vigilante missions in the game. Just hop in a cop car and access the computer to find wanted criminals. We know it exists; we just didn't have the opportunity to try it out."

Thats all I needed to hear.

Vigilante missions in an open ended city are the greatest things ever. Everything else is just gravy.

Mamesj

Banned
1. Fela Kuti - Sorrow Tears and Blood
Genre: Afrobeat
Comments: Excellent choice for GTA. I grew up on this song, so I was shocked it was even in GTA.

2. Philip Glass - Pruitt-Igoe theme from "Koyaanisqatsi"
Genre: ARPEGGIO HELL
Comments: It's a good song for a trailer, but I'm not sure if it's a good GTA song. We'll have to see. After all, GTAIII's classical station worked great.

Wow, did anyone else get a little thrown off by these two artists in the first two slots? Very happy to see them in though.

Also, fixed Philip Glass' genre for you :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
SolidSnakex said:
Well the main info that was going to come out of these impressions was the state of the PS3 build.

Which ended up being only from IGN, and had some good news too. But I want a lot more PS3 impressions. :(

It'd be nice to have more but all I really wanted to hear was that the differences between the 2 were minor and that's what it turned out to be.

No multiplayer mention at all? I'm starting think the multiplayer is seriously bare bones and they don't want to talk about until its nearly released.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
It'd be nice to have more but all I really wanted to hear was that the differences between the 2 were minor and that's what it turned out to be.

You know that doesnt mean shit tho. Wait for both games to land in my hands *evil grin*

Pharmacy

Banned
There are only some minor visual differences noticeable between the two preview versions. The 360 build is brighter and has slightly more vibrant color while the PS3 build has less aliasing issues.

huh

BenjaminBirdie said:
As usual, Kikizo wins. What a great preview.

:)

BobTheFork said:
No multiplayer mention at all? I'm starting think the multiplayer is seriously bare bones and they don't want to talk about until its nearly released.

One thing Kikizo mentions is that the Multiplayer is for the next wave of previews. Probably next month.

pr0cs

LJ11 said:
Krav Maga, that's awesome if implemented well.
sounds functional.
The melee system, which allows you to block and throw several different punches and kicks while locked on, has issues with timing, but seemingly nothing that can't be mastered. Those expecting flawless control mechanics -- or ones as straightforward and unquestioningly responsive as those in Saint's Row -- may be disappointed, but they're really all they need to be. They're reliably functional, and that means a lot in such an open-ended, pliant playground of a city.

Luckyman

Banned
Brighter on 360, less aliasing on PS3?

wat. They must have mixed up. :lol

Is IGN the only site that was shown the PS3 demo? I've scanned through some of the other previews and they mention that they didn't get to see it.

No.

After finding out more about the PS3 version (the team is working feverishly to implement rumble, since DualShock 3 should release around the same time as the game in the U.S.), we jumped into the action with a Sixaxis
http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/grand-theft-auto-4/855562p1.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom