• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrikaWrek

Banned
SNUG REVOL said:
KRAV MAGA!!!?!?!?

The king really is back! R* is godly.

It's very deceiving.

There's no disarms or grapples. Anyway, after reading Kikizo, man i'm so hyped, knowing that GTAIV, Bourne and my most treasured MGS4 won't be far away from each other makes me one happy mofo.

n1n9tean

Banned
Ranger X said:
Didn't they confirmed cockpit view not a long time ago? How now it's not there? Not on PS3 version or something??
Also, I was expecting it since it's included in Midnight Club: Los Angeles.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, I picked the best day to pop in this thread, as I had no idea about the web-wide embargo!

The new features sound really great, especially two of many of the greatest features from Saint's Row - the mini-map showing the best route to a point, and being able to set waypoints anywhere...

jett

D-Member
The melee system, which allows you to block and throw several different punches and kicks while locked on, has issues with timing, but seemingly nothing that can't be mastered. Those expecting flawless control mechanics -- or ones as straightforward and unquestioningly responsive as those in Saint's Row -- may be disappointed, but they're really all they need to be. They're reliably functional, and that means a lot in such an open-ended, pliant playground of a city.

Games preview translation = They're crap.

But it's okay, I wasn't expecting anything from melee combat, but the shooting aspect better be fucking spot on.

ChryZ

rocksolidaudio said:
i spent most of my (1UP) time with the PS3 version.
Would you care to comment on the IGN remarks (360=brighter, PS3=less aliasing)?

EDIT: Nick, while you're at it ... how was the framerate?

painey

Rapping Granny said:
some screenies.
grand-theft-auto-iv-20080228082029210.jpg

2298893614_dc045807b9_b.jpg

_leech_ said:
Wasn't (and still isn't) on the main 1up page.

yeah, we're having some promo (art) issues, it'll be up front as soon as we can fix it.

edit: also, i didn't want to comment on the PS3/360 differences unless they were remarkable one way or the or the other. and...they weren't. i wanted to write about the content.

It's the level of detail that first hits home when cruising around Liberty City, the freewheeling outside of mission constraints allowing GTA IV to fully stretch its legs and prove that this will be a sandbox without compare. We see a man raking a motorway embankment, while driving through more suburban areas someone tends to their lawn - little flourishes that engender the world with life beyond that seen in other similar titles. Police eye Niko suspiciously when he runs across the road, despite the Wanted status being at zero, their heads following his path down the street as they peer from inside their stationary car.

At one point, while taking a midnight stroll through Liberty City's quite breathtaking spin on Times Square, we spot a man hunched over the open bonnet of his car, quizzically looking at the broken motor. Being the helpful citizens that we are, we push him to one side and try to hotfoot it with his automobile, but naturally his concerns weren't just a superfluous animation as the car fails to start and we climb out with rose-blushed cheeks.

*drools*

Goldrusher

Klaxon said:
At one point, while taking a midnight stroll through Liberty City's quite breathtaking spin on Times Square, we spot a man hunched over the open bonnet of his car, quizzically looking at the broken motor. Being the helpful citizens that we are, we push him to one side and try to hotfoot it with his automobile, but naturally his concerns weren't just a superfluous animation as the car fails to start and we climb out with rose-blushed cheeks.[/I]

wow

ChryZ

rocksolidaudio said:
also, i didn't want to comment on the PS3/360 differences unless they were remarkable one way or the or the other. and...they weren't. i wanted to write about the content.
Excellent, cheers!

rocksolidaudio said:
edit: also, i didn't want to comment on the PS3/360 differences unless they were remarkable one way or the or the other. and...they weren't. i wanted to write about the content.

That's all I need to know. It sounds like the dealy paid off for both versions of the game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've been playing 3 just to get back in the LC mood..and to compare the jump. Cannot wait, and very glad to hear both versions have shaped up well.

Ploid 3.0

Oh man this game is going to be my game of the forever I can feel it. I'll probably never get tired of things to do in this until the next gta for sure. Hope they pull through on the quality of the final build.

Getting a strong urge to play GTA:SA and Oblivion now gah can't wait for this game. Going to finish the GTA:SA story until this is out.

Man looking at that bridge view with the rain... just sick. kermit.gif

Oni Jazar

I'm getting the 360 version for the DLC. I hope my 360 doesn't red ring because I'm going to play the shit out of this game.

Damn I can't read these previews it's really making me ache to play this game and I don't know how I'll be able to wait until release.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
EvilDick34 said:
I bet i missed this, but this is getting ported to the PC, yes?

all past gta games were ported to the PC before so all signs points to yes, specially since all gta games are on the steam store now.

Ploid 3.0

One of the things I want from this GTA is no slowdown. I want to be able to do crazy crap and not have to notice framerate problems. It makes me hold back :(

This game will probably end up being the game I'm on all the time like GTA:SA. I never turned the ps2 off when I got that game (it had great screen saver camera work as well :lol). GTA hype is like a poison, it kills me slowly, and the antidote is so far away.

newsguy

Well, I just got the chance to read the first preview. They actually get to play it this time, that's a big step since now we know how tight the controls will be.

from IGN
With cops in hot pursuit and the spotlight of a chopper locked onto our car, we made a wrong turn, drove over a cliff and crashed onto a beach. As we ran from our burning car, we narrowly avoided being squashed by a squad car that -- in true CHiPs fashion -- followed us over the cliff. We did our best to stave off an arrest, firing a few rocket-propelled grenades to take down one of the choppers overhead. The curling smoke trail is a gorgeous thing. The little scuffle soon turned into a standoff on the beach as we laid down suppressing machinegun fire on a group of cops attempting to approach from the beach. We were saved by a miracle -- a second police car drove over the cliff and crashed into the group of pursuing officers.

Day 1 Purchase...

Goldrusher

- groups of people in the park, practising Tai Chi
- rowing boats in the park pond/lake
- you can get a haircut
- you can drink and eat (gives you health), but it's no longer required
- no more fitness / muscle stuff
- popped tires lose air gradually
- you can throw grenades out of moving vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom