• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercuryLS

Banned
striKeVillain! said:
I'm definitely going to call into the radio station in a little bit.

wait, i'm still catching up on all the info. you can call into the radio stations now? that's fucking amazing.

In R* we trust.

newsguy

So when I stand in the middle of Liberty City's gaudy Time Squares equivalent at the end of my demo, rain pounding the glistening ground while my rockets pound several incoming police vehicles and the game doesn't even stutter, it's...well, quite impressive.

I'm not so worried about framerate after this statement. Rain+explosions+freaking times square usually = sub 15FPS conditions.

Amir0x

Banned
ZmillA said:
previewscreen9.jpg

HOLY FUCK

HOLY FUCK

This + reports that framerate is solid =

I AM SORRY I DOUBTED YOU ROCKSTAR FORGIVE ME

jibblypop

Banned
This game looks very awesome!

I loved the atmosphere and style of the grand theft auto 3 series but I thought the controls were terrible. Kinda weird and floaty.

If they made the controls tighter for IV and have the same great atmosphere then i am sold.

bathala

Banned
great n informative preview from kikizu.

time to check ign.

WTH - a button dedicated to calling a cab? that button might have better purpose

newsguy

MMaRsu said:
Wtf?? That sucks!!

AH SHIT! See, I don't even want to "pimp my ride." All I wanted to do was get those ugly rims off of my Porsche :( Damn, that Prius commercial even said "fully customizeable"

Crusade

NullPointer said:
For a game like this I'd take framerate over texture quality anyday. Stuttering when you're trying to outrun cops in heavy traffic would ruin the experience.
Absolutely, it would've been nice to have both though

WrikaWrek

Banned
Car customization never did much for me. I hated that i would pimp the car so much and then i would turn it into a wreck so quick and so easily.

Himuro said:
:(

I agree. Car customization was awesome in SA even though it was limited. I loved customizing my cars so they'd have NOS.

When they mentioned that the Dilettante was fully customizable in that commercial I assumed you'd be able to do that. But oh well it's not too big of a deal.

WrikaWrek said:
Car customization never did much for me. I hated that i would pimp the car so much and then i would turn it into a wreck so quick and so easily.

yeah, I was a total wuss when it came to things like that.

I had one car all customized up to be perfect, then I just left it in my garage and never touched it because I was worried I would destroy it.

GTA4 should have let you buy insurance on your car or something like that.

And though the character models perhaps aren't quite what we're used to in regards to fidelity in cutscenes, their incessant animation, typically sharp dialogue, and natural placement/interaction with their surroundings (I watched one characters' tie brush over a table as he sat down, not through it) certainly atones.

From 1up. This has always been my favorite aspect of GTA games. The absolutely fantastic animation. Seeing that carry over to Next Gen will just be phenomenal.

Crusade

The thing I like about the graphics now is how painterly it looks. Maybe that is just the less detailed textures, but everything has a nice arty look to it now

Himuro said:
What? I love GTA but the animation has always been canned and awful. :lol

I mean in cutscenes. There's always been a lot of great detail, even last gen.

With the pistol I take out the dealers one by one, going for as many head shots as my thumbs allow. One takes cover behind a plasterboard column. No problem. Locking on with the left trigger I fire the pistol anyway. The rounds chip away at the plasterboard, eventually punching their way through and into the flesh of my unlucky target. Sweet.

:D

Detail Rules Again:

I'm watching a cut scene in a seedy club in Hove Beach, GTA 4's version of New York's Brighton Beach, and named after the UK's very own Brighton and Hove. Hove Beach is where all the Russians hang out in Liberty City.

The same goes for the real Boroughs. Fucking splendid.

Ploid 3.0

Himuro said:
What? I love GTA but the animation has always been canned and awful. :lol

It's the voice work that was the great part of gta3's cutscenes. Just looking at some of CJ's cutscenes and yea the animation is good but not awesome. But paired with the voice works/comedy it makes the cutscenes interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rQz5r2WC-s The way he stop and turn is nice vs normal stuff in games.

newsguy

From GS article:
but you'll still be able to customise Niko as well as take him for a bite to eat.

I guess eating is still in. As long as it isn't mandatory. I've seen cluckin bell ads all over the city so it may be fun just to go in an hear what the punk kid behind the counter has to say.

newsguy

When I first jumped into the game, I shot one of the cab drivers through the windshield and thought it was cool that he just slumped over in his car. But what I didn’t realize was that all of his dead weight would press down on the gas pedal, which caused the cab to barrel down on me and slam me into a wall.

NeoWhoa.jpg

Loudninja

Leading on from this, it is of course possible to stop in the middle of a bridge and jump off it into the water and swim from island to island. You can swim in any bit of water you see

The whole map s NOT completely open at the beginning

A particularly nasty crash might bend the wheels out of shape, which will constantly skew the direction you drive in

In cover, you can blind fire

Some points

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Raw64life said:
Please let the smooth framerate info be true. It was most certantly not present in the trailers.

has any GTA game had a smooth framerate? Maybe smooth by GTA standards... I am not geting my hopes up.

Grimm Fandango said:
So is regenerating health out? =(

Huh? Why would we need regenerating health? There are so many opportunities to get into cover or temporary get away from gunfire that you'd constantly be regenerating your health.

Ploid 3.0

Dark FaZe said:
Huh? Why would we need regenerating health? There are so many opportunities to get into cover or temporary get away from gunfire that you'd constantly be regenerating your health.

Yea I don't want regenerating health in GTA. It makes for very tense times. Stuck in a enemy gang area with very little health makes it fun. Maybe a code when you want to be invincible have it so your health regenerate.

RumFore

Banned
Its seems to be early on but the IGN idiots gave away some great potential moments in the game by telling you someone gets "iced" and basically the whole mission. Left nothing to the imagination.

Stopped reading IGN. Whats the best preview out there with no big spoilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom