• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
are they going to let you actually see whats going on inside of a car as you play?

like, for example, if you're taking a cab, can you change views to be inside the cab, but if you were so inclined, you could shoot them while you were still in the cab?

MMaRsu

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
Rockstar only needs to post a short mp3 of Lazlo and I'll begin to fap to this. Seriously. I may actually (SERIOUSLY) really really fap to gta4.

I'm straight but I'll fap to Lazlow for sure

Ranger X

Himuro said:
Word. The animation isn't great but I love GTA cutscenes. I know a lot of people here think they're shit but whatever.

Well, the animation cannot be much better since it's motion capture. It's because the characters are simple (not many polys and joints) so its hard to look perfect. But even in a low poly model motion capture looks better than pretty much any hand animated character imo.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
oh man, here's a thought. Take the "being flung from your car in a crash" and add it to a bridge over water. Achievement: Long Distance Cannonball.

Bizzyb

Banned
bathala said:
great n informative preview from kikizu.

time to check ign.

WTH - a button dedicated to calling a cab? that button might have better purpose

What would you rather have? mental telepathy?
Or maybe pausing the game and choosing "hail cab" on a menu?

Ploid 3.0

Ranger X said:
Well, the animation cannot be much better since it's motion capture. It's because the characters are simple (not many polys and joints) so its hard to look perfect. But even in a low poly model motion capture looks better than pretty much any hand animated character imo.

Yea the low poly models make for a lack of better animation. No cloth reacting to stuff, stiff hand gestures, etc. It just takes away from the mo-cap effort. But now they aren't as limited and cloth can move, fingers can do more, and such.

I tried going back to GTA SA to finish it but it don't look good on a HDTV lol. Going back to SD with this.

Bizzyb said:

Yank the controller at a curb folklore style while holding triangle (ready angry waggle posts)

Tieno

Seeing the reactions here in this thread to the previews makes me very happy. I know practically nothing about the game, going in cold turkey.

bathala

Banned
Bizzyb said:
I dunno how about dual wielding.
do i need a cab on top of a building getting shot at?
doesn't gta have phone then add speed dial

spwolf

AgentOtaku said:
....i'm still sad about R2 shooting with SIXAXIS/DS3 =*(

....I wanna buy this on PS3 dammit! (>__<)

....holy shit!

unless your religion prevents you from remapping the controls, you should be fine... Before R2 was bitch for me, but I guess I got used to it since it was not an issue in last few games.

Goldrusher

Himuro said:
FUCK YES @ Accelerate and Brake being designated to the triggers! WHOO!

I sure hope that's customizable. I don't know about you, but I've been using X/[] to drive cars for over 10 years now.

spwolf said:
unless your religion prevents you from remapping the controls, you should be fine... Before R2 was bitch for me, but I guess I got used to it since it was not an issue in last few games.

vast majority of PS3 releases as of late, have NOT allowed you to remap the controls....or it's the dev's stupid presets

I'm sorry but I CANNOT get used to the R2 "trigger" ....believe me I've tried

Goldrusher said:
I sure hope that's customizable. I don't know about you, but I've been using X/[] to drive cars for over 10 years now.

ditto...this is why I didn't buy Burnout Paradise
I'm not trying to whine, but it really is THAT BIG of a deal for me =/

Himuro said:
-When I first jumped into the game, I shot one of the cab drivers through the windshield and thought it was cool that he just slumped over in his car. But what I didn’t realize was that all of his dead weight would press down on the gas pedal, which caused the cab to barrel down on me and slam me into a wall.

- Driving phsyics have been retooled. Now when turning around corners, you will have to use your regular break and then your hand break, other wise your car may turn over.

- Car damage is more realistic now. Various parts of the car can be damaged, making it hard to drive in certain situations. For instance, if your tires get bent from an accident, it is much harder to drive after the fact.

- The game's story is longer than San Andreas and should take around 100 hours if you take your time and do every thing.

IGN

e5e66f2eaa.gif

- There is no car customization, nor can you store things in cars.

Awww...I was hoping that Niko would be able to carry around larger weapons in the boot... or trunk... of his car, rather than hide it in his coat.

Otherwise, looking goooooood.

WrikaWrek

Banned
sionyboy said:
Awww...I was hoping that Niko would be able to carry around larger weapons in the boot... or trunk... of his car, rather than hide it in his coat.

Otherwise, looking goooooood.

And you can carry guns in the trunk i believe.

Edit: Apparently not, wtf previous previews said you could!?

Loudninja

Hey guys, gamespy has the PS3 version as well.

Also, it takes longer for a fiery car to detonate than in the past, giving you more time to hightail it out of there.

If your car flips over, it won't explode.

The NYPD has cab fleets driven by undercover officers
COOL

After finding out more about the PS3 version (the team is working feverishly to implement rumble, since DualShock 3 should release around the same time as the game in the U.S.)

- The game's story is longer than San Andreas and should take around 100 hours if you take your time and do every thing.

Nice!!!! I'm going to be playing this game for a very long time :D

The whole map s NOT completely open at the beginning

Dang, I was hoping that it was fully opened up so I could do anything go anywhere at the beginning, to check out stuff. This is one thing that I don't like about GTA, I want an open world. oh well, its going to be a great game though :)

Loudninja

Thanks to some cheeky cheats on behalf of Rockstar, we're completely tooled up with guns, ammunition and a chunk of armour (which shows up as an extra half of a circular health meter) - and it's time to see how much carnage we can cause before the SWAT team inevitably runs us into a wall.

So cheats are back I guess

And you can carry guns in the trunk i believe.

Edit: Apparently not, wtf previous previews said you could!?

Yeah, I'm sure I remember reading that as well. That's a shame, would have been a nice addition to the 'realistic' angle they seem to be going for.

The whole map s NOT completely open at the beginning

Ewww...Assassin's Creed-style world progression? Or maybe certain buildings will not be accessible because you won't have the notoriety/respect or even the keys to the building.... (probably the former)

I really love how they've done it this time- a terrorist threat caused road blocks between the islands, and only people with proof of citizenship can get in. Aweome. Plus you can still go to the other areas, you just get auto 5 stars a la SA. I used to have so much fun jacking a plan from LS and dive bombing the strip with cops everywhere.

BeeDog

I can't be more hyped for this game and for MGS4. Even when I haven't read any late previews for any of them.

Btw, has it been established where the main character is from? Russian or serbian or something else?

painey

got a PS3 mag today with a gta poster, gta hands on and gta dvd of all the movie clips from the previous games, and it came with these triggers too;
2300327006_d51da1aacf_m.jpg

Pretty swish for a fiver.

DenogginizerOS said:
I can't wait to see the Achievements/Accomplishments for this game.

Especially considering the stat tracking already mentioned....whoo!!

I have to say, HOME accomplishments would be so rad if they could make it so that when you come to your apartment after getting one, there's confetti, horns, and big sign that drapes down from the ceiling: CONGRATULATIONS, KIDINSOMNIA ON YOUR 1,000TH HOTWIRED CAR!

edbrat

got a PS3 mag today with a gta poster, gta hands on and gta dvd of all the movie clips from the previous games, and it came with these triggers too;

cool - which mag is it and which country did you buy this fine periodical in? Thanks.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
BenjaminBirdie said:
Especially considering the stat tracking already mentioned....whoo!!

I have to say, HOME accomplishments would be so rad if they could make it so that when you come to your apartment after getting one, there's confetti, horns, and big sign that drapes down from the ceiling: CONGRATULATIONS, KIDINSOMNIA ON YOUR 1,000TH HOTWIRED CAR!
It would be even funnier if your Home apartment had police waiting for you and they chased you through the Home universe. :lol

GQman2121

Banned
painey said:

A bunch of us on the AVS PS board imported that mag last week to get those triggers. PSM3 seems like a hard mag to find at book stores here in the states.

Doc Evils

painey said:

I have two of those now. PSW also did it as a pack in.

Loudninja

Tom Penny said:
Hmm. It seems not too many people have had a hands on with the PS3 version. Not a good sign IMO. Hopefully it's still good.

IGN, Gamespy and PSM3 got the PS3 version so far, and yes it runs great.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
ZmillA said:
thats the same as the 360 preview

Except for this part:

After finding out more about the PS3 version (the team is working feverishly to implement rumble, since DualShock 3 should release around the same time as the game in the U.S.), we jumped into the action with a Sixaxis to assume control of the game's new protagonist, Niko Bellic...

Tom Penny said:
Hmm. It seems not too many people have had a hands on with the PS3 version. Not a good sign IMO. Hopefully it's still good.

Both 1up and IGN said there's really no difference between them. So I don't see how that's a bad sign.

Scotch

painey said:

Anyone tried these yet? I really don't like the sixaxis' triggers.

reminder

Himuro said:
am I the only one who prefers the various areas of the city to be unlocked? One thing I love about GTA is that because of this, I am able to pace myself, learn the areas to a tee, before I move on to the next area and repeat. In games like Crackdown and Saints Row, where the entire game is open up at the beginning, I just don't have the urge to explore since I'm so overwhelmed. I don't know where to start.

I like the pacing of GTA's a lot and I'm glad they're keeping it this way. I know it's a minority opinion on the issue, it's just how I feel.

Nope, i prefer it, too. I love to explore an area, do the missions there and then get a new area as a reward. I think, Sandbox games are much more motivating if you have to do missions to get access to all areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom