• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger X

Himuro said:
* Again, developing relationships with people will be a crucial part of the game. The better the relationship with someone, the more you'll benefit. If you ignore someone for too long, they will start contacting you with angry messages.

Damn this is slippery terrain. I hope it won't be annoying like the fucking messages telling you that you should care about your girlfirend in GTASA.
I hate that kind of message. When i play GTA i want to do the fuck i want to do.

Greg

Ranger X said:
Damn this is slippery terrain. I hope it won't be annoying like the fucking messages telling you that you should care about your girlfirend in GTASA.
I hate that kind of message. When i play GTA i want to do the fuck i want to do.
Then do what the fuck you want to do and ignore the bitch. :lol

Ranger X

Greg said:
Then do what the fuck you want to do and ignore the bitch. :lol

I know :lol Just saying it's annoying there's always a message popping. I can't turn this shit off. All my GTASA girlfriends ate the dirt. :p

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The best sixaxis implementation was, for me, in Need for Speed Carbon. You could slightly increase your sharpest turn with a sharp tilt to the left or right...felt very natural.

Hey, is there a way to repair cars I wonder? Now that the paint shop is gone... :(

wow that tracklisting sucks fucking ass so far. i remember SA's tracklisting being awesome. hopefully that is just a small portion of the songs that will be in the game. although i guess it doesn't matter for 360 owners (i haven't decided on whether to buy it for 360 or ps3 yet)

Klone.K

So I have a question, why is this game so hyped exactly? Besides having GTA in the title of course. I'm interested in IV and will probably pick it up considering I have every GTA iteration but what I know so far doesn't have me too excited.

The graphics look great but so do those of a million other games. GTA was just late in this respect. Now for my concerns, questions. NY is the setting. Now I've played through True Crime NY many times so I'm afraid that the city map in GTA4 will bore me quite a bit considering it's set in NY too. Territorial wars, haircuts, body building removed...3 of the funnest "mini games" in SA. It feels like a de-evolution gameplay wise. I could be wrong, but reading the front page didn't indicate much gameplay variety from 3 or VC that could replace everything cut from SA's gameplay. So can anyone tell me what's the most exciting thing about GTA4 and what to look forward too?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I can't say I'm that excited about the soundtrack yet either but everything else sounds fucking amazing and they haven't even given us the full multiplayer details yet. My expectations for this game may well be exceeded by the final game and that's no mean feat :D

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
SapientWolf said:
Animations take up a lot of disk space, so the Euphoria engine may have cut down on how many they would have to include in the game.

These types of games aren't disc extensive. People forget that. Audio compression is better on the 360 than it was on the Xbox 1 as well.

Himuro said:
If you enjoyed the San Andreas multiplayer modes, then you should be a happy with GTA IV online.
source: GTAgaming
So they have been watching us playing with that San Andreas multipler mod :D, does this confirm that cops and robbers is in?

Well it took me all night (takes me 10x longer than others on Photoshop) but I made two options for a possible GTAIV-esque avatar.

gtaklaymen-1.png
_____or_____
gtaklaymen.jpg

I guess I'll mull it over a night's sleep.

Klone.K said:
So I have a question, why is this game so hyped exactly? Besides having GTA in the title of course. I'm interested in IV and will probably pick it up considering I have every GTA iteration but what I know so far doesn't have me too excited.

The graphics look great but so do those of a million other games. GTA was just late in this respect. Now for my concerns, questions. NY is the setting. Now I've played through True Crime NY many times so I'm afraid that the city map in GTA4 will bore me quite a bit considering it's set in NY too. Territorial wars, haircuts, body building removed...3 of the funnest "mini games" in SA. It feels like a de-evolution gameplay wise. I could be wrong, but reading the front page didn't indicate much gameplay variety from 3 or VC that could replace everything cut from SA's gameplay. So can anyone tell me what's the most exciting thing about GTA4 and what to look forward too?
I don't know how it's possible to watch any of the trailers and come away with this impression. And seriously, fuck territoryl wars. That was the most mundane waste of time ever.

Dead Man

Just a little thanks for Himuro. Feel free to use or not. No offence taken if so.

Av sized
2zhfx2v.jpg

or uncut if you wanted to crop it yourself.
4qhide.jpg

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Son of Godzilla said:
I don't know how it's possible to watch any of the trailers and come away with this impression. And seriously, fuck territoryl wars. That was the most mundane waste of time ever.

I loved the territorial wars though. Just an excuse to mow down an army of gangsters without having the cops interrupting for a few minutes....

traveler

Not Wario
One Vision is, like, the only really good song on that list and it's the only one you don't like Himuro? :lol

Different strokes, I suppose.

newsguy

Klone.K said:

:/

And to answer your question... Euphoria.

Bluecondor

bobbytkc said:
I loved the territorial wars though. Just an excuse to mow down an army of gangsters without having the cops interrupting for a few minutes....

I loved taking over territory in GTA:SA. I do agree that the gameplay mechanic behind it was a bit mundane. I would have liked to see more of an economic impact behind taking over territories (kind of like when you took over businesses in the Godfather).

But - R* has already said that they don't want this to be a criminal empire builder sim, which is understandable.

Goldrusher

A few new details I haven't read in this thread... (or it got lost in all the avatar nonsense)

• Niko is an old soldier who spent time in third-world prisons.

• His looks were inspired by a favourite driver from Rockstar Games' car service.

• There are 14 radio stations in the game, not 18 as was previously suggested.

• When GTA IV was first being planned, Aaron Garbut (Rockstar North's art director) unveiled an enormous map featuring Liberty City surrounded by countryside the size of New York state. This "megamap" seemed the logical step after San Andreas, but R* soon decided to change their focus, and work on creating a larger GTA experience instead of just a larger map.

(EGM)

Also...in New York City (on North 5th and Bedford Ave, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn) a new mural appeared:

20ji745.jpg
inwpdv.jpg

(PGTA)

Loudninja

Himuro said:
Yeah it was posted. However, the ost being 14 stations is definitely news to me.

I would also like to point out that the EGM confirms my thoughts. You can call the police when you're in trouble and they'll help you. Holy shit.

Yep, they actually help you this time! This just gavee GTA4 lots of new possibilities.

Loudninja said:
Yep, they actually help you this time! This just gavee GTA4 lots of new possibilities.
Yeah thats the kind of stuff that will make this game so different from the previous games. So many possibilities.

newsguy

Himuro said:
Yeah it was posted. However, the ost being 14 stations is definitely news to me.

I would also like to point out that the EGM confirms my thoughts. You can call the police when you're in trouble and they'll help you. Holy shit.

That's huge. I read the EGM bullet points but hadn't realized it meant they actually help you. That's amazing. Being the sniper I am, I'm letting the cops do the grunt work while I pick guys off from the comfort of a breezy building top.

About the multi, the GTA SA multi was fairly bare bones. I want that cops and robbers mode no matter what. It would make a 100 hour game 1000 hours for me and all my buddies getting this day 1.

Tr4nce

Does anyone know the estimate size of the gameworld in GTAIV? I was just wondering about this. I've read every preview and know much about GTAIV, but this I do not know. Is it bigger than say San Andreas or not?

X26

Banned
Tr4nce said:
Does anyone know the estimate size of the gameworld in GTAIV? I was just wondering about this. I've read every preview and know much about GTAIV, but this I do not know. Is it bigger than say San Andreas or not?

newsguy

Tr4nce said:

It's not bigger than SA. The way previewers gave an estimate was by getting in a speedboat, and going from one end of the city to the other. It's said to be about 5 real world minutes.

Tr4nce

Yeah, I will miss the more rural area's as well...

- No more eery nightly strolls through the forest
- No more riding on hills or mountains

:(

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Tr4nce said:
Yeah, I will miss the more rural area's as well...

- No more eery nightly strolls through the forest
- No more riding on hills or mountains

:(

I'm probably weird for saying this, but I loved exploring the countrysides more in San Andreas than the cities. I'd steal a car, get the police going, then cruise the long highways. So much fun.

Greg said:
Am I the only ones that turns music off immediately in these games? :lol
Probably in the minority. The GTA games tend to have very good sound tracks and if you don't like what you are listening to then just switch the station!

did we already talk about this?

from the videogamer.com preview:
Although you can't import your own music into GTA 4 (I'm told it wouldn't be in keeping with the tone of the series and wouldn't allow funny advertisements and droll Djs to amuse players), you won't want to.

I haven't heard anything about this from any other site. If true, I know this will piss some people off. I'm over it already- the soundtrack will be so awesome regardless.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/grand_theft_auto_4/preview-791-3.html

Greg

speculawyer said:
Probably in the minority. The GTA games tend to have very good sound tracks and if you don't like what you are listening to then just switch the station!
Oh, I definitely enjoy the music on its own - fantastic song selection and everything... I just hate when the music drowns out everything else out. In a game like GTA, so much detail is put into the environment and the interactions between all the people, and I just always felt like the music distracts from that.

ZmillA

Banned
notjackbauer said:

I haven't heard anything about this from any other site. If true, I know this will piss some people off. I'm over it already- the soundtrack will be so awesome regardless.

meh, you can still stream from your 360/computer/ps3/portable device if you want. Custom soundtracks in saints row were a hastle anyways

BeeDog

notjackbauer said:

Funny thing in that "PS3" article:

Packie advises you get to high ground in order to provide sniper support. It's here that I discover some elements of Ubisoft's own assassination sandbox Assassin's Creed have made their way into GTA 4. Niko can climb with X, shimmy left and right with the left stick, jump up with another press of X and drop with Y.

So take the custom soundtrack part with a grain of salt; it may only apply to the 360 version.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
notjackbauer said:

I could have sworn the PSP version would mix the DJ stuff inbetween custom tracks? Or was that Saints Row?

Sucks for both 360 owners and PS3 owners really. The implementation that I saw in the SR demo of the 360 was really cool...having your own tracks blare from the car that you walk away sounded cool. Having the soundtrack overlay the entire game is just lame.

ZmillA

Banned
BeeDog said:
Funny thing in that "PS3" article:

So take the custom soundtrack part with a grain of salt; it may only apply to the 360 version.

they probrably just posted the same preview in both sections, a common practice

ZmillA

Banned
Himuro said:
I disagree. GTA games always have absolutely random and awesome shit going on. Remember in SA when you'd hear the gun shots and you kept looking for the source? :lol Or when a PLANE WOULD JUST DROP OUT OF THE SKY AND HIT YOU POINT BLANK? Did you read the tidbit from the latest previews where they said they shot a cab driver in the head through the windshield, and the weight of his dead body pushed on the gas pedal, ramming Niko against a wall? :lol

that blew my mind when I read that :lol I hope you can really notice the sudden surge in acceleration.

robochimp

Himuro said:
I disagree. GTA games always have absolutely random and awesome shit going on. Remember in SA when you'd hear the gun shots and you kept looking for the source? :lol Or when a PLANE WOULD JUST DROP OUT OF THE SKY AND HIT YOU POINT BLANK? Did you read the tidbit from the latest previews where they said they shot a cab driver in the head through the windshield, and the weight of his dead body pushed on the gas pedal, ramming Niko against a wall? :lol

One time in San Andreas, I went to the Pizza Stack in Ganton in Los Santos. On the way to the entrance and plance dropped out of the fucking sky and nailed me.:lol I couldn't stop laughing.

So you wont miss planes dropping out of the sky??

newsguy

Himuro said:
It'd be cool if they have coptors dropping out of the sky. What I'm saying is that every GTA has some absolutely random and awesome thing that you go and tell your friends happened to you, and they don't believe it.

Exactly. What keeps people coming back is the fact that you can play the game and anything can happen. I'm bummed that you won't be able to see planes come down, but with the Euphoria engine, I have no doubt this will be the most random game in the series. Each preview mentions unique little things that happenned in their demo or hands-on. You may not have planes coming down, but one preview talks about a cop car in chase that wiped out an entire squad when it came off a cliff.

In the R* demos there were always different outcomes to the exact same missions. Some examples from the Rivas mission (the first mission demoed).

-He was impaled by falling logs while being chased.

-He gets to the final destination (a bridge) and you kill him there.

-He jumps out of his car mid chase and his car hits a bunch of peds and explodes

-He's getting to the final destination, gets out of the car, car explodes and sends his dead body flying off of the bridge. The R* rep was even surprised and asked the other rep if he actually flew off the bridge.

And there are tons more of these moments I've read but this post would take too long to type up.

X26

Banned
Himuro said:
If you can push people off of buildings now, does that mean that peds aren't just on ground level now? Maybe they occupy buildings and rooftops?

If that's the case, what if a ped just happens TO FALL OFF THE ROOF RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE when you're just walking around?

Random suicides could be a possibility, would make for some funny ped dialouge too as a crowd gathers below

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom