• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejay

Banned
Himuro said:
It'd be cool if they have coptors dropping out of the sky. What I'm saying is that every GTA has some absolutely random and awesome thing that you go and tell your friends happened to you, and they don't believe it.

The random nature of GTA has always been one of it's charms. The complex nature of the game world sometimes provides interactions between AI, environment and vehicles that surprises even the developers.

The increased complexity of GTA IV will ensure that these incidents will only increase in comedic value in the upcoming installment.

rune_74

Neo Member
Man 'm lookin forward to this....not sure if I should just skip bully for now and get GTA 4 since I just got lost oddessey and guitar hero 3(late to the party I know)

Interested to see what the downloadable content will be, I'm assuming microsoft will want to get info out on what it will be before the game ships to push sales...lets hope so at least.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I've asked this question before, but now with more information released maybe someone knows this time...

Car damage is more realistic now. Various parts of the car can be damaged, making it hard to drive in certain situations. For instance, if your tires get bent from an accident, it is much harder to drive after the fact.

So do the cars still have pre determined damage models?

Teknoman

So basically, GTAIV is just going to be running around the city doing stuff online? I mean if its that similar to SA's multiplayer...then thats basically what it amounts to right?

Loudninja

Topher said:
I've asked this question before, but now with more information released maybe someone knows this time...

So do the cars still have pre determined damage models?

Nope according to the new previews.

_leech_ said:
And forests, yes.

I'm glad i'm not the only one that really liked that part of SA. I know a lot of people here dislike it but I felt that was one of the many highlights of that game. Grabbing a dirtbike or a 4 wheeler and just going crazy in that area was awesome.

SolidSnakex said:
I'm glad i'm not the only one that really liked that part of SA. I know a lot of people here dislike it but I felt that was one of the many highlights of that game. Grabbing a dirtbike or a 4 wheeler and just going crazy in that area was awesome.

Absolutely. Searching through forests at night (and every obscure section of the map) at the hight of the UFO/Bigfoot rumors was awesome, too.

SolidSnakex said:

Police chases in this area were also especially hilarious.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I really do not get all the hate for the countryside in SA. I will never forget cruising it for the first time, it felt as though it would never end. I loved that you could reach insane speeds many of of the highways, something that was especially hard to do in VC. The cross country races are fun too.

Ranger X

SolidSnakex said:

I loved the country side too. This MADE San Andreas one of most immersive game ever.
It's just last the endless fields and forest in Oblivion. All the landscape makes you feel "there". It makes the game more believeable, fakes a relative distance between cities and stuff really good.
There's not necessarily a sense into make every corner a videogame landscape usefull.

I heard that the Army is gone and the swat still chases you when you get 6 stars, If thats true then is the Tank going to be in the game?

newsguy

Found it. It's in the Videogamer preview. Here's hoping it's the previewers assumption, but seeing how he mentions other things that got the axe, this may be confirmed :(

The "fantasy" vehicles have all been removed. Gone are the tanks, aeroplanes, parachutes, jet packs and bicycles.

Crusade

newsguy said:
Found it. It's in the Videogamer preview. Here's hoping it's the previewers assumption, but seeing how he mentions other things that got the axe, this may be confirmed :(
I guess they can't put bicycles in until they're invented first, being fantasy vehicles and all :(

newsguy

Crusade said:
I guess they can't put bicycles in until they're invented first, being fantasy vehicles and all :(

I'm actually bummed about the parachutes. Now that they made the city so vertical, it would've been awesome to base jump off the tallest buildings.

Crusade

newsguy said:
I'm actually bummed about the parachutes. Now that they made the city so vertical, it would've been awesome to base jump off the tallest buildings.
I have my doubts that is true. Probably won't get jet packs, but I think the rest will be there.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
newsguy said:
Nobody said you can't go ahead and jump.

The landing is gonna suck, though. :p

ack! no tank
no parachute
no airplanes
no bicycles (right?)
no countryside
I know I'm going to love this game once I get it, but for the last few weeks I've only been bummed about all the stuff they took out, it feels like regression to me. Yes I've seen how good it look.
I was really hoping for some massive damage causing uber-loot for beating the game. FFS in San Andreas you got a fucking harrier!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, but does anyone know if they are bringing back the car collection side mission? They were in the other games where you had to collect one of each vehicle and bring it to a garage.

Sorry if this was answered already.

I've been waiting so long for this game to come out, it looks amazing. The whole euphoria engine sounds amazing.

dejay

Banned
Crusade said:
I have my doubts that is true. Probably won't get jet packs, but I think the rest will be there.

Pretty sure parachutes won't be there. Neither will fixed winged aircraft. I'm praying for bicycles, even as DLC, because they were so much fun in SA and such an awesome way to cruise the city. Saying that I'd like to see the 9 foot bunny hops taken out though.

Lionheart1827 said:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, but does anyone know if they are bringing back the car collection side mission? They were in the other games where you had to collect one of each vehicle and bring it to a garage.

Sorry if this was answered already.

I've been waiting so long for this game to come out, it looks amazing. The whole euphoria engine sounds amazing.

Some people hated those missions but I quite enjoyed them - especially considering you could do them at your own pace. You'd be doing something else and suddenly you'd see something you thought you were you looking for. If they do have them hopefully there will be pictures of the cars for reference - I had to go on the net to see what some of the vehicles looked like last time. Maybe you could use tw@ to look up motors in the game world.

Well if you think about it, it wouldn't take much effort to add in the car collection mission ( if it's not already in) All you need is a shed and a sign with the cars names on it!

Tr4nce

Seeing those YouTube vids remind me of some cool stuff I used to do when I played GTA San Andreas. Everyone who owns GTA San Andreas should really try it, I had loads of fun with it:

- Go to the street where CJ lives in the beginning of the game.

- Use the cheat code for spawning those hovercraft things (Vortexes): for PS2 it was triangle, triangle, square, circle, x, L1, L2, down, down.

- Use this cheat code to spawn as much Vortexes as you can. Then put them all in a big circle, but make sure they are all near eachother. Park them really close to eachother.

- Use one of the weapons cheats, to plant as much of that C4 like stuff on most of the Vortexes.

- When you're finished, use the jetpack cheat and fly onto CJ's house. For PS2 the cheat is: left, right, L1, L2, R1, R2, up, down, left, right.

- Make sure you stand back a little, and use the ignition device to let the bombs that you just planted explode. Be amazed at how big the explosion is gonna be. The power of the explosion is really awesome.

:D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Tanks are so boring though. Go as slow as possible, shooting cars and being invincible is fun for maybe 5 minutes. I won't miss them.

adelante

nice stuff to be won there...

Prize Information

On or about April 23, lucky winners will be chosen from all entries to receive the following prizes:

Four Grand Prizes: Four winners will score a four-day/three-night trip for two to New York City to attend the Xbox LIVE Gold Grand Theft Auto IV Launch Party.
One Hundred First Prizes: Custom Xbox 360 Elite console
Two Thousand Second Prizes: A Rockstar baseball bat
Five Thousand Third Prizes: 500 Microsoft Points
Three Thousand Fourth Prizes: 1000 Microsoft Points
Two Thousand Fifth Prizes: 1600 Microsoft Points
Five Thousand Sixth Prizes: One-month Xbox LIVE Gold subscription
Three Thousand Seventh Prizes: Three-month Xbox LIVE Gold subscription
Two Thousand Eighth Prizes: One-year Xbox LIVE Gold subscription

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Five Thousand Third Prizes: 500 Microsoft Points
Three Thousand Fourth Prizes: 1000 Microsoft Points
Two Thousand Fifth Prizes: 1600 Microsoft Points
Five Thousand Sixth Prizes: One-month Xbox LIVE Gold subscription
Three Thousand Seventh Prizes: Three-month Xbox LIVE Gold subscription
Two Thousand Eighth Prizes: One-year Xbox LIVE Gold subscription

Sooo... Its better to get an eighth prize than a third???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom