• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol @ jumpimg a bike onto a boat :lol

A couple of things that people may have missed (they certainly haven't been in this thread...weeks it took me to read ALL this :D )

PSM3, unique moments:-

"Unique Moment #1

We're by the quayside in Algonquin, eager to test out the new fighting mechanics (hold X to block, O to kick, square for punch and triangle for power moves like head butts), when we spot an angry-looking biker sporting a bomber jacket and handlebar 'tache. Naturally, we push him (you can shove through crowds, like in Assassin's Creed, by pressing O), and he recoils, before fronting up. We connect a few punches, before he staggers back and pulls a knife. Rule one: knife beats fist. Rule two: look before you punch. The quayside is full of bikers, and we're surrounded by about ten angry foes. Brave as lions, we run (speed tap X to sprint - you don't seem to get tired like previous games).
After pushing through a tunnel, we spot a cop on the main road. "This might be good news", pipes our Rockstar rep - and he's right. The cop points his gun at the biker who's chasing (as far as he knows) an innocent civilian. Without warning - pop, pop - the bikers's dead. "Didn't expect that", offers our Rockstar rep, genuinely surprised. Pedestrians scatter and, as we scramble to steal the first available vehicle - just our luck, a crummy Faggio scooter - we accidentally run over another cop. 20 seconds later, we're being chased by three squad cars and a gang of bikers.
Fearing the worst, we spot a makeshift ramp that might just carry us over a fence and to safety. As we grip the accelerator, R Kelly's Bump And Grind - you can't make it up - whirrs into life on the R&B radio channel, and the last thing we hear as we hit the ramp is "My mind's telling me yes, but my body, my bo-daaay's, telling me no", as we splat into the fence at 20mph and marvel at the euphoria physics engine as Niko flops onto a skidding cop car. It's at this moment we understand - GTAIV's genius isn't its raw mechanics, or its missions, but at the point where a set of random events fuse to feel like fate."

"Unique Moment #4

We've stolen an ice cream van - with Cherry Popper branding - and press R3 to start the nursery rhyme-style 'horn'. Flicking through the radio, we hazard upon the techno channel and - by pure accident of fate - the nursery rhyme and techno rhythms almost merge in synch, like some twisted 2 Many DJs Mash Up. Suitably thrilled, we smash straight over a fire hydrant, causing a fizzing jet of realistic spray..."

Now that bit about the fire hydrant is out of this world but the next line is out of this universe!!!

"...We hop out of the cab, wondering what'll happen if we try to jump through it. Landing ten feet away, in a crumpled heap of limbs, we vow not to try again."

*gets nose bleed of joy*

Moment 2 is just about a ped pulling you out of the car you've just stolen from him, which isn't unique and 3 is about killing homeless.

This is from the 5 (and final):-

"A bum asks us for money, and we give him $5 - he's grateful, but we can't see any gameplay benefit. We flick on the jazz channel on our mobile phone, and headshot him to reclaim the cash. Yes, we're horrible. We spend the money in Little Jakob's Homebrew cafe on one of the CuB3D arcade machines - it's like a 3D version of Tetris, and reminiscent of the minigames in GTA:SA."

And one Dan Housers favourite moments:-

"One of my favourite songs was on the radio while two cop cars were chasing me through Chinatown. Suddenly, another car rammed me, and I was flying through the windshield. I ducked into cover and could still hear the song playing from my car. The cops opened fire, but hit a pedestrian who pulled out his gun. Suddenly, there's a full scale war between a random gang and the cops, letting me escape"

GAME. OF. THE. YEAR.

Ballistics said:

A couple of things that people may have missed (they certainly haven't been in this thread...weeks it took me to read ALL this :D )

Great post to wake up to. Thanks for that.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Ranger X said:
I loved the country side too. This MADE San Andreas one of most immersive game ever.
It's just last the endless fields and forest in Oblivion. All the landscape makes you feel "there". It makes the game more believeable, fakes a relative distance between cities and stuff really good.
There's not necessarily a sense into make every corner a videogame landscape usefull.
I guess its a bit like the fields and forests in Oblivion, but just a lot more eventful since there's more to do.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
chubigans said:
Tanks are so boring though. Go as slow as possible, shooting cars and being invincible is fun for maybe 5 minutes. I won't miss them.
Same here. They're exiting the first time you use it, but it gets boring after a while because you're pretty much unstoppable. Its a lot more fun being in a car and seeing how much damage you can get away with doing.

Dabanton

Mr.City said:
This thread is making me want to break out my copy of San Andreas again.

Don't do it. i foolishly went back to play Vice City it only angered me.

That combat system still drives me crazy.

Mr.City

Dabanton said:
Don't do it. i foolishly went back to play Vice City it only angered me.

That combat system still drives me crazy.

Well, I jumped ship on SA when the story forced me to start doing some off road racing. I fucking hate racing missions.

8bit

Knows the Score
Mr.City said:
Well, I jumped ship on SA when the story forced me to start doing some off road racing. I fucking hate racing missions.

You should go back to it. The mission after that is wonderful.

Once you complete that race, you have to do the same thing again backwards and faster.

Ballistics said:
As we grip the accelerator, R Kelly's Bump And Grind - you can't make it up - whirrs into life on the R&B radio channel, and the last thing we hear as we hit the ramp is "My mind's telling me yes, but my body, my bo-daaay's, telling me no", as we splat into the fence at 20mph and marvel at the euphoria physics engine as Niko flops onto a skidding cop car. It's at this moment we understand - GTAIV's genius isn't its raw mechanics, or its missions, but at the point where a set of random events fuse to feel like fate."

:lol

Holy shit. 2008 just got ZUNG.

Ranger X

psycho_snake said:
Same here. They're exiting the first time you use it, but it gets boring after a while because you're pretty much unstoppable. Its a lot more fun being in a car and seeing how much damage you can get away with doing.

There's more to do maybe but i meant that i didn't need to be that huge. It was that huge for one particular reason: Immersion and sence of scale. It's exactly the same reason why San Andreas is also huge.

Pharmacy

Banned
Himuro said:
Also, the psm article CONFIRMS A TECHNO STATION.

2u6jwig.gif

rune_74

Neo Member
Umm not sure if many of you are aware but Saints row aready did this flung from your car....this is just a catch up point.

rune_74

Neo Member
Well, true crime is not so much like GTA, whereas saints row pretty much is GTA so I thought using it in comparison was more fitting.

newsguy

rune_74 said:
Umm not sure if many of you are aware but Saints row aready did this flung from your car....this is just a catch up point.

To add to this, the way they did it in Saint's Row was correct. Sometimes it was assumed that you had your seatbelt on, so you could smash into anything and remain in the car. Other times (or when you drove shitty cars) you could be thrown from the car in a big crash. I hope GTA does it this way because I don't want to fly out every single time I crash.

And I also hope Videogamer was simply assuming things. I can understand jetpacks being out, but I want alot of the other stuff in.

WrikaWrek

Banned
One thing that Saints Row did that was cool was that you could hear the radio playing even outside of the car, and it did the whole "inside the car to outside the car" sound effect too.

It was pretty awesome. I hope GTA4 does it too, it's a little thing but it's cool.

Ballistics said:

PSM3, unique moments:-

"Unique Moment #1

We're by the quayside in Algonquin, eager to test out the new fighting mechanics (hold X to block, O to kick, square for punch and triangle for power moves like head butts), when we spot an angry-looking biker sporting a bomber jacket and handlebar 'tache. Naturally, we push him (you can shove through crowds, like in Assassin's Creed, by pressing O), and he recoils, before fronting up. We connect a few punches, before he staggers back and pulls a knife. Rule one: knife beats fist. Rule two: look before you punch. The quayside is full of bikers, and we're surrounded by about ten angry foes. Brave as lions, we run (speed tap X to sprint - you don't seem to get tired like previous games).
After pushing through a tunnel, we spot a cop on the main road. "This might be good news", pipes our Rockstar rep - and he's right. The cop points his gun at the biker who's chasing (as far as he knows) an innocent civilian. Without warning - pop, pop - the bikers's dead. "Didn't expect that", offers our Rockstar rep, genuinely surprised. Pedestrians scatter and, as we scramble to steal the first available vehicle - just our luck, a crummy Faggio scooter - we accidentally run over another cop. 20 seconds later, we're being chased by three squad cars and a gang of bikers.
Fearing the worst, we spot a makeshift ramp that might just carry us over a fence and to safety. As we grip the accelerator, R Kelly's Bump And Grind - you can't make it up - whirrs into life on the R&B radio channel, and the last thing we hear as we hit the ramp is "My mind's telling me yes, but my body, my bo-daaay's, telling me no", as we splat into the fence at 20mph and marvel at the euphoria physics engine as Niko flops onto a skidding cop car. It's at this moment we understand - GTAIV's genius isn't its raw mechanics, or its missions, but at the point where a set of random events fuse to feel like fate."

"Unique Moment #4

We've stolen an ice cream van - with Cherry Popper branding - and press R3 to start the nursery rhyme-style 'horn'. Flicking through the radio, we hazard upon the techno channel and - by pure accident of fate - the nursery rhyme and techno rhythms almost merge in synch, like some twisted 2 Many DJs Mash Up. Suitably thrilled, we smash straight over a fire hydrant, causing a fizzing jet of realistic spray..."

Now that bit about the fire hydrant is out of this world but the next line is out of this universe!!!

"...We hop out of the cab, wondering what'll happen if we try to jump through it. Landing ten feet away, in a crumpled heap of limbs, we vow not to try again."

*gets nose bleed of joy*

Moment 2 is just about a ped pulling you out of the car you've just stolen from him, which isn't unique and 3 is about killing homeless.

This is from the 5 (and final):-

"A bum asks us for money, and we give him $5 - he's grateful, but we can't see any gameplay benefit. We flick on the jazz channel on our mobile phone, and headshot him to reclaim the cash. Yes, we're horrible. We spend the money in Little Jakob's Homebrew cafe on one of the CuB3D arcade machines - it's like a 3D version of Tetris, and reminiscent of the minigames in GTA:SA."

And one Dan Housers favourite moments:-

"One of my favourite songs was on the radio while two cop cars were chasing me through Chinatown. Suddenly, another car rammed me, and I was flying through the windshield. I ducked into cover and could still hear the song playing from my car. The cops opened fire, but hit a pedestrian who pulled out his gun. Suddenly, there's a full scale war between a random gang and the cops, letting me escape"

GAME. OF. THE. YEAR.
this is great :D , I really can't wait!

newsguy

WrikaWrek said:
One thing that Saints Row did that was cool was that you could hear the radio playing even outside of the car, and it did the whole "inside the car to outside the car" sound effect too.

It was pretty awesome. I hope GTA4 does it too, it's a little thing but it's cool.

Ballistics said:

It's in

dejay

Banned
That article also confirms the Faggio is back. I'm wondering if pizza delivery might be on the cards at some point.

Oh yeah, one "other" thing I forgot, it's just very small really, probably means nothing, you'll probably forget it by tomorrow, well not to beat around the bush, not to put too finer point on it, there is a VERY strong rumour (OPSM UK) that one of the voices is by Rob De Niro, I've never heard of him, I hope his up to the standards of GTA.

Ain't that America . . . . :lol

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Ballistics said:
Oh yeah, one "other" thing I forgot, it's just very small really, probably means nothing, you'll probably forget it by tomorrow, well not to beat around the bush, not to put too finer point on it, there is a VERY strong rumour (OPSM UK) that one of the voices is by Rob De Niro, I've never heard of him, I hope his up to the standards of GTA.
Awesome

Ballistics said:

Dude. He has a 4 word line that has it's own wikipedia entry, and you've never heard of him?!

Thrakier

A german mag (Maniac!) wrote that the framerate is low and not very stable. If this is true I won't buy this shit. San Andreas on PS2 was a pain in the ass and nearly unplayable.

Septimus said:
How much/what did you have to trade in to get it pre-ordered and paid in full?

DMC4 and a couple of other old 360 games. GS is doing one of those "Get 20% extra on any trade-in towards specific game".

Saves me the trouble of going through ebay so eh.

newsguy

Thrakier said:
A german mag (Maniac!) wrote that the framerate is low and not very stable. If this is true I won't buy this shit. San Andreas on PS2 was a pain in the ass and nearly unplayable.

I call bullshit. Every preview mentions that the framerate is smooth even with rain and multiple effects going on.

X26

Banned
newsguy said:
I call bullshit. Every preview mentions that the framerate is smooth even with rain and multiple effects going on.

This is something many are going to worry about till the game is out no matter what, me included even having read all the positive previews about it

Ranger X

X26 said:
This is something many are going to worry about till the game is out no matter what, me included even having read all the positive previews about it

Yes.

We need to go with experience and have realistic expectations. Personally, when i read in a preview that the 30fps is smooth i automatically knock down 5fps and they say its not really noticeable there's drop i always expect to see drops in fps that are clearly perceptible. So far i've never had wrong expectations and saved alot of deception.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Supposedly there's a rumor that some Pryda tracks are gonna be in this game... would make at least the soundtrack worth downloading.

newsguy

Himuro said:
I'm surprised no one's been excited about the news of Lazlow being back.

I'm very happy. Although the ultimate would be another Lazlow interview with Fernando about his new beginnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom