• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odrion

Banned
So GTA4 360 runs smoother with faster load times, now I don't have to worry about which version to get. :lol

The additional content for the 360 isn't an extra island though, I guess "Liberty City Stories" additional missions will do.

Ranger X

OverHeat said:
Just buy that version problem solved.

lol to buy that version i'd need to shell 399$ bucks more at least. This means your solution is a no.

SolidSnakex said:
The game isn't suppose to have any loading once you're in the world. So they must be talking about the initial bootup unless something went wrong and there's now loading throughout the game.

Yeah i didn't realise there wasn't supposed to be loading in the game. At worse i guess it would load a bit when you try to enter a building or something (would be like in previous GTA...)

BeeDog said:
It takes a forum post from someone who hasn't really confirmed anything is all that takes to ruin your day? Wow. :p

When my day is ruined i make thread and the word "fuck" is written 2-3 times per lines i write. ;)

OH MY GOD.

I am listening to the EGM podcast for the first time and I CANNOT STAND their voices. SO ANNOYING, I am pretty sure they are nice people but FAWWK.

newsguy

Rapping Granny said:
OH MY GOD.

I am listening to the EGM podcast for the first time and I CANNOT STAND their voices. SO ANNOYING, I am pretty sure they are nice people but FAWWK.

Are they too femenine for you? Just make believe they are hosting the classical station in GTA 3

Himuro said:
Well, his name is Neil Corbett on the forum he joined, and it seems he has been a QA tester for every single 3d GTA. Plus, the guy went back and edited his posts when he was found out.

I guess we'll see. But what he said definitely doesn't sound good for those of us picking up the PS3 version.

BeeDog

Heck, I'd be surprised if ANY version of GTA4 will have a stable framerate. Rockstar haven't really been known to be leading in the optimization areas.

Soroc

Thrakier said:
So, how many magazines mentioned the shitty framerate issues of san andreas? And how many points were deducted from the review score because of this? You see what I mean? This mag is a very serios mag with a long hardcore-gamer tradition. I believe them. And it'S not like it's a big surprise if GTA has frame-rate issues. Every GTA 3D game had them and they got worse, not better. Since San Andreas it should be clear to everyone that a polished game with a solid framerate is not what rockstar is aiming for.

I have great respect for them because they developed the whole Sandbox-Genre but I don't think that they are very competent when it comes to game engines.

Didn't R* just license the Renderware engine last gen. I don't think its that they aren't competent enough to create a GTA 3D that didn't have these problems, I think it was more so not the greatest engine and how far they pushed it.

Isn't this engine inhouse that they are using now? Rage I believe? I have all the faith after these previews that this game is going to be silky smooth and a 100x better than previous GTA's. They have polished the sandbox genre to an all time high, the bar is gonna be set really high after this hits the streets.

newsguy

Soroc said:
I have all the faith after these previews that this game is going to be silky smooth

As much as I would like for this to be the case, i'm not sure it's possible with everything going on in the game. I do think it's going to be smooth most of the time, and I do think it will be much better than Saint's Row's framerate. Even with the bad screen tear and choppiness, SR was a playable game, so if GTA4 is smoother, I'm honestly happy.

100x better than previous GTA's.

Absolutely.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Do we know if/when the complete soundtrack will be sold on CD/digital distribution?

My understanding is that the CD in the Collector's Editions is simply a single CD "sampler" of what the entire soundtrack will offer.

BeeDog

anachronous_one said:
Do we know if/when the complete soundtrack will be sold on CD/digital distribution?

My understanding is that the CD in the Collector's Editions is simply a single CD "sampler" of what the entire soundtrack will offer.

I'd hand out blowjobs if they did another mega soundtrack box like they did with San Andreas.

Soroc said:
Didn't R* just license the Renderware engine last gen. I don't think its that they aren't competent enough to create a GTA 3D that didn't have these problems, I think it was more so not the greatest engine and how far they pushed it.

Isn't this engine inhouse that they are using now? Rage I believe? I have all the faith after these previews that this game is going to be silky smooth and a 100x better than previous GTA's. They have polished the sandbox genre to an all time high, the bar is gonna be set really high after this hits the streets.

Well even in the EGM podcast they said it wasn't silky smooth. They just said it smooth enough that it never bothers you.

newsguy

BeeDog said:
I'd hand out blowjobs if they did another mega soundtrack box like they did with San Andreas.

they did that for Vice City and it was the absolute shit of a compilation. I lost it though :(

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Himuro said:
Well yeah. The soundtrack cd is just some small ass disc. I'm pretty sure we'll have a soundtrack available.

I'm not sure how they're going to handle it though, because the soundtrack is going to have 18 radio stations.
Well, yeah, didn't they have a disc for each station in GTA: Vice City and GTA: SA?

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=8818820

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5905109

18 disc compilation incoming? :p

newsguy said:
they did that for Vice City and it was the absolute shit of a compilation. I lost it though :(
Bummer! I can't believe how tempted I am to get those two sets I just linked to. Oh man ...

WrikaWrek

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I guess we'll see. But what he said definitely doesn't sound good for those of us picking up the PS3 version.

Don't worry. I'm guessing that when you are a QA tester i'm sure you play the game so much that you notice every small differences.

I bet there won't be much of a difference if at all. And if the difference is minimal, who cares? The difference between the Burnouts was minimal and people said it was great like that, i expect at worst something like that, so i think people don't have to worry.

Tr4nce

I thought this wasn't going to be a PS360 discussion? Oh well.

I trust that the PS3 version will not be any less, quality wise. Don't worry.

WrikaWrek said:
Don't worry. I'm guessing that when you are a QA tester i'm sure you play the game so much that you notice every small differences.

I bet there won't be much of a difference if at all. And if the difference is minimal, who cares? The difference between the Burnouts was minimal and people said it was great like that, i expect at worst something like that, so i think people don't have to worry.

I don't like the idea of the loading times he mentioned. Like I said earlier from what I remember they were going for 1 initial load and that's it. I hope that hasn't changed. As long as that's what the QA guy was talking about then I don't really care how long that initial load takes.

Tr4nce

SolidSnakex said:
I don't like the idea of the loading times he mentioned. Like I said earlier from what I remember they were going for 1 initial load and that's it. I hope that hasn't changed. As long as that's what the QA guy was talking about then I don't really care how long that initial load takes.

IIRC R* have always said it was gonna be like one initial load and no to very little other loading times.

Thrakier

Soroc said:

I don't know. But the new Bully for 360 does have Framerate issues too. It's just that the "philosophy" of rockstar annoys me. Games with low framerate shoudn't be on the market. I don't trust them anymore.

X26

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

I'm guessing the loads will be the initial load and then for interiors that are specific to certain missions. I'm hoping for the vast majority of interiors to be seemless, but I know that's pretty unlikely

jett

D-Member
{Mike} said:
There wasn't loading in previous 3D GTAs either, just before the game start, then nothing.

Every single GTA has lengthy loading times when you started a mission. I wouldn't really expect a loading-free world in ANY version of GTA4.

So one man say something and everyone goes ballistic (pun intended)

All someone has to do is look in the back of one of the manuals and find his name. Why if you were leaking info would you use your real name? What next Kevin Wong? :lol

It amazes me people fall for that stuff.

dejay

Banned
I've successfully held off the hype since the delay announcement, but it's finally hit me and I now count down the days. This is going to be my favourite game of all time, I can feel it.

dejay said:
I've successfully held off the hype since the delay announcement, but it's finally hit me and I now count down the days. This is going to be my favourite game of all time, I can feel it.

Yeah we need a countdown in the thread title, OP, or something. That'd be sweet . *wink wink*

How could the console that has a HD standard have worse load times? To top it off it also has framerate issues. Oh well I guess I just saved $60.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
dejay said:
Soon soon soon. *Rubs hands Cockroach style*

Ugh . . . GTA IV can't come fast enough. I picked up Bully for the 360 . . . and there is a good game buried in there but it is a crappy outsourced port.

WTF are the various R* studios doing these days? Vancouver? . . . have you been doing anything besides working with Mad Doc on this crappy port? I hope so.

Toronto? WTF? You released 'The Warriors' in 2005 . . . what's going on?

(Sorry, I'm in a bad mood.)

dejay said:

The wait is so hard if you live in or around NYC. Just the possibility of recreating the atmosphere of the city accurately is pretty mindboggling and awesome.

I am sure that this has been said, but if you guys haven't had a look at the EGM cover story try and hunt down a copy of the magazine. Lots of good info in there.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
darkressurection said:
I am sure that this has been said, but if you guys haven't had a look at the EGM cover story try and hunt down a copy of the magazine. Lots of good info in there.
For those unwilling to leave this thread for any great length of time, that issue is also now available through Zinio :D

dejay

Banned
gray_fox224 said:
My god...the wait is unbearable. Going to get the special edition. Who else? I could use a gym bag.

I ordered the special edition mostly for the keyring :) The locker thingy will also take pride of place on my desk and it will hold my pens, calculator and other stuff - it will actually be quite useful. The bag looks ok for a bag to supplement my regular overnight bag. The artbook is a bonus but I'll probably only look at it a couple of times.

While not really justifying the extra cost, this is one game I'll happily pay more for. If it means Rockstar gets more money then that's just my way of ensuring future quality GTA products.

I'm pretty sure everything, including the bag, will be stuffed into the safe deposit box. That should keep everything nice and snug in transit.

bjork

Totally off-topic, but why does Himuro have a Serafitia avatar?

On-topic, I am pondering picking up a 360 just for this game. :)

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
bjork said:
Totally off-topic, but why does Himuro have a Serafitia avatar?

On-topic, I am pondering picking up a 360 just for this game. :)

well it was fun while it lasted, ps3.

SpokkX

that testers comments, any more info?

if what he said is true and the 360 version has better framerate.. would at make it easy to choose which version to get

dejay

Banned
Love the Fox parody on the site Himuro linked to. The increased terrorist alerts around election time really is something that depresses me about politics - that political parties use fear to get re-elected. I thought BAWSAQ was funny in a childish way too.

Also, is this the first view of the airport we've seen?
24mxdmt.jpg

bjork

EvaPlusMinus said:
well it was fun while it lasted, ps3.

I already had a 360, but I had to sell it about 6-7 months ago, unfortunately. I'd been debating it anyway, just for Test Drive Unlimited and Hexic.

PS3 I want for Home, but that's not ready to go yet.

Jel0man

Not sure if this has been said before, but multiplayer info is coming in about 3 to 4 weeks. A Rockstar spokesman told this to a journalist from the Dutch Gamekings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom