• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
BobTheFork said:
I never thought A major Microsoft Exec would send a PM troll to someone on this board with using basically His real name either. I personally don't believe that post but stranger things have happened.
Not "basically" his real name - you know as well as I do that it took a bit of legwork to confirm that particular identity. Try again.

bishoptl said:
Those of you who actually thought a Rockstar employee - from QA, no less - would sign up with his real name on a message board and bypass the company's watertight PR all need a good slap upside your heads.
Yeah I saw that shit yesterday and just laughed :lol

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'm gonna check my Resistance manual credits and register some new nicks just to fuck with you wet-behind-the-ears newborns.

"jstevenson"...it's taken. Damn!

bjork said:
Totally off-topic, but why does Himuro have a Serafitia avatar?

On-topic, I am pondering picking up a 360 just for this game. :)

EvaPlusMinus said:
well it was fun while it lasted, ps3.
haha
Russtic said:
Better loadtimes and framerate, extra episodes and no bleaching but more jaggies...hmm...decisions decisions.
bjork said:
I already had a 360, but I had to sell it about 6-7 months ago, unfortunately. I'd been debating it anyway, just for Test Drive Unlimited and Hexic.

PS3 I want for Home, but that's not ready to go yet.
Wow

:lol :lol :lol

ntb825

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but the game seems to have been officially street dated according to the Gamestop computer.

This raises hopes for a midnight launch.

Also, some of us with local mom & pop shops might be able to find it earlier :D

WrikaWrek

Banned
DrBo42 said:
I honestly don't think SMG counts. People buy it because it's Mario, not because they sincerely enjoy the single player experience of a Mario game.

So i bought Mario Galaxy and enjoyed it only because i was staring at Mario?

well last name, confirming it took lots of work, we he was suspected instantly. *cries* leave me alone. It just wouldn't be the that strange if it were true is all.

All I want from multiplayer is the ability to jump into a game with Burnout Paradise ease, and just fuck shit up with a bunch of other players in the city.

MMaRsu

Haha so awesome just got a email from the man himself,,Lazlow!!

I asked him when his new show is going to be up for download, and about radio schedule and everything. He sent this back :

we are working on that now. schedule should be posted soon. GTA IV
has us very busy.

thanks for the email. i loved visiting enschede and university twente

lazlow

Haha I can't believe I got email from Lazlow :D

Ballistics said:
Info you may of missed.

CGV

- When you lock-on it targets the body, you move the right stick, up, down left or right, to target the specific body parts (we know that) but if you let the stick go it re-centres back to (the middle of the) body It's sort of springy and needs real skill.

- You can once again shoot the petrol tanks. And I don't think just the petrol cap.

- "on higher star levels you actually feel like you're being hunted down by the law." Not new but it sounds cool :D

- Rocket launchers:-
"Explosions in GTA IV are stupidly destructive and absolutely massive - on the same scale as Crackdown's multi-car-flinging booms. Smoke trails realistically as car doors and debris are flung through the air. Even pedestrians who escape the initial blast are usually left on fire, running around like big, fiery Guy Fawkes.
There's also a slight heat-seeking function to the rocket launcher. When we fired it at a near-by cop for example, it swerved up and behind him, favouring the police car instead as a more worthy target. This made nailing the chopper even easier, which comes smoking and exploding down to the street in a twisted mass of metal and flame."

- "In GTA IV when you're out of sight from the law your stars will 'grey out', indicating that you're hidden. Unfortunately this doesn't work like the big game of peek-a-boo we expected, and even when you're hidden the cops are slowly drawn to your general location." Good, I think that's encouraging, that they don't simply get bored. "general location", I don't think that means "Right up to your face cheating", I just think if you're still "wanted" then they keep looking.

- "Eventually the law tracks us down to the dark alley we're parked in. Locking on to cover and whipping out the AK, we frantically take out as many as possible, but they've called in a second police helicopter and it's time to leg it or be shot to pieces by the new chopper's on-board mini-gun.
Eventually we make it to a small canal, where most of the on-foot bobbies seem to have lost our scent. It's just us and the helicopter now, but with no ammunition left for the RPG we pull out the next best thing; the sniper rifle.The rifle works in pretty much the same fashion as before, but what impressed us most was the amount of detail you can pick out down its scope.
Lining up with the chopper above us - which is now spraying bullets liberally in our direction - we can make out the gunner actually sitting inside. We take him out and smile as he plummets to the ground in a single shot.
Now that its defenceless we're free to aim up and take out the pilot as well. Shooting right through the glass we perform yet another one shot kill, and the helicopter bucks violently downwards, exploding in the canal."
How's that for a slice of fried gold :)

Videogamer

- "Explore any of the city's many hospitals (where you'll respawn if you're killed) and you'll come across water coolers. Fire at these and water will spill out of the holes you've made in the plastic."

- "I'm told that players should turn their sat nav off after a while so that they better learn the nooks and crannies of Liberty City for the multiplayer. Interesting." It's BIG, basically.

GameSpy

- "The NYPD has cab fleets driven by undercover officers who make busts; our Rockstar rep mentioned seeing one in action once. It's in the game, as Console Editor-in-Chief Will Tuttle discovered after taking out a cabbie from a block away. His partner jumped out of the passenger's seat and immediately began opening fire, plus the line-of-sight police meter suddenly showed up on the mini-map. That dynamic, "anything can happen" nature of this new Liberty City popped up quite a few times during our demo." Great, I thought that was a rumour. Respect cabbies, you never know who they might be :D I wonder if this extends to paramedics and fire fighters?

Game Tap

- "You can’t just jump into an ambulance and suddenly become a paramedic or drive a cab and pick up fares. Rockstar believes that this feature is just too unrealistic; it might still exist in some form, but one that would fall within the overall mission structure of the game."

Kikizo

- "In addition, the marker will be either green or red, indicating the person's level of hostility - red means they're fighting back, green means they want to run away."

EGM

- "Tapping up on the D-pad a second time brings up the phone's keypad. Dialing 911 calls a cop car, ambulance, or fire truck, which respond in real time from their stations throughout Liberty City's five boroughs. It's a handy trick for any missions that require you to steal emergency vehicles. Police cars are especially useful; you can use their computers to research people you meet. An even handier trick: Since cops will now try to stop any crimes they see - whether committed by you or others - you can give them a call if you're on the losing end of a gunfight or brawl. The fuzz will pull up and arrest the aggressors, helping you for a change." The "real time" part has been said before (I think or I read it somewhere else). It has always annoyed me when cop cars are just spawned from nowhere. It would be great to get a good vantage point, ring the cops and watch them scatter out of the station :lol

- "Take Liberty City's lack of seatbelt laws. One Rockstar rep recounted how he used this feature to escape the law by slamming into a waterfront curb head-on and launching Niko into the harbor, where he swam to a boat for a quick getaway." That's just funny :D

This is the one that gets me excited the most:-

EGM

"The humour extends beyond the story and the radio stations (hilarious DJ Lazlow returns) to new multimedia features that, unfortunately, we're not allowed to talk about yet." "New multimedia features"? So we know about radio, the internet, mobile phones, billboards, videogames...there's only one left...Television :) :) :)
Could we have over looked the fact that, the adverts for Sprunk, Whiz Mobile, Dilettante, Banging Trash Can Lids For An Hour and the Steinway Beer Garden, weren't meant for us but for the game??? It could be the case that we can't see the woods for the trees :D But then again you can't see any trees in GTA...not until you hit them :lol To back my case up further take a look on IMDB.com, the cast list says "Vice City TV reporter"
Maybe we can watch The Swingers!?

I can but only dream :)

Come on back to business, HYPE :)

I don't mean to sound needy quoting myself but I think there's some good stuff there ;)
I mean what do you think about T.V in GTA? Is it a good thing? How can it be used? I love the idea of running from the law, breaking into a house and ending up watching some sort of Jerry Springer parody :lol or Cops Of Liberty City Live where you end up watching the police storming the building you're in :lol "Next up, Cooking with Lazlow" :lol

That makes now 22 days that i said i wouldn't read and watch anything else about GTA IV... but i can't control myself :(
It's sad that a ban can't prevent me from coming here :lol
Less than 2 month... i can do it ffs !

Tr4nce

I started playing GTA:SA again now, because I'm going mad from all the info about GTAIV, and the wait is killing me. It's nice to play it again though, especially when you forgot some things about it. Like it's possible to shoot the gas tank of a car, every city feels really different, and how big it all is. I'm playing it on PS3 now, so the textures look alot better too. I'm going to play it again now :)

WrikaWrek

Banned
We knew Ps3 would get DLC too. But who cares about your minor and standard DLC, when we are talking about major DLC like episodes? That's what the Ps3 isn't getting.

Nameless

Himuro said:
-Jeronimo states "We want this game to last for years. Im sure we'll do another GTA some time in the future, but this one is built to last" They also mention that the PS3 will most likely have their own form of DLC as well. (note: Amirox owned. "superior" version lol)

Now thats what I like to hear. I still play San Andreas 3 1/2 years later. In fact, since 2001 I've kept on playing each GTA game at least semi-regularly until the next installment released. This is what sets GTA apart from other game series. The gameplay is so dynamic, that its a game that literally never fully gets old. And IV looks like it will take that aspect of the series to an epic new level. I fear for my social life to be honest.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
WrikaWrek said:
We knew Ps3 would get DLC too. But who cares about your minor and standard DLC, when we are talking about major DLC like episodes? That's what the Ps3 isn't getting.

You don't know that. In fact, no one knows anything right now. As far as the two eps on the 360, that's for certain not on the PS3. As far as episodes after that, it sounds like it.

WrikaWrek

Banned
chubigans said:
You don't know that. In fact, no one knows anything right now. As far as the two eps on the 360, that's for certain not on the PS3. As far as episodes after that, it sounds like it.

Rockstar has said they don't even know if they will make any more episodes after those two.

And you are talking about something that might possibly happen 2 years from now or something. Seriously.

-MB-

Good thing rockstar was more concerned with accurate interaction with environment, like collission detectionn etc instead of gazillions of polygons or detailed textures. I'm hyped to play this title for sure now.
As for DLC, I don't really care for episodic content, missions bore me, and as long as ps3 version gets new cars,kits and weapons etc. I'll bve very happy.

h3ro

WrikaWrek said:
Rockstar has said they don't even know if they will make any more episodes after those two.

And you are talking about something that might possibly happen 2 years from now or something. Seriously.

Everything regarding DLC is pure speculation at this point. All we know is that there will be two "episodes" (a term that is open to interpretation itself) that will only be on 360. Also they have mentioned that there will be some DLC (again, open to interpretation in terms of the extent of support) on the PS3.

Pulling out an arbitrary time for them to release something on PS3 (2 Years? How did you arrive that amount?)

This whole argument over having the "complete version" is bullshit from Rockstar in my opinion. Why the hell should I have to pay extra to finish the story. I doubt it will be this way and the DLC (again, speculation incoming) will be additional area/missions/stuff to do in Liberty City that might flesh out some of the narrative in the game, but won't be imperative to completing the game.

Jeez, what it comes down to is you buy the version for the console you own. If you own both and want this special 360 DLC, get that version then. There is no reason for non multi console owners to even be debating this since it doesn't effect them unless they want to buy a new console just for this game.

Yasser

WrikaWrek said:
do you work for ms or some pr firm?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Yasser said:
do you work for ms or some pr firm?

Jesus christ can't we just comment on stuff? How is what i said any wronger than what i replied to, yet you only say that shit to me?

To hell with you man.

h3ro said:
Pulling out an arbitrary time for them to release something on PS3 (2 Years? How did you arrive that amount?)

Did i say that? Or did i say that episodes after these two, if they come which is till up in the air according to Rockstar as they have said themselfs, they will only come after a long ass time. Heck it will take time for these two first episodes to launch.

That's what i was saying, you guys only read what you want.

GottiDC

Banned
will this version feature voice chat. because tghis will make or break me from buying the game on psn. have they fixed the headset issue

Yasser

WrikaWrek said:
Jesus christ can't we just comment on stuff? How is what i said any wronger than what i replied to, yet you only say that shit to me?

To hell with you man.
what are basing any of your comments on? don't you think you should play the dlc or wait for some substantial news/previews? you're pretty quick to poo-poo the ps3 dlc, yet make it sound like the 360 dlc will be god's gift to us all.

and to be fair, "screw you"s all round so it doesn't make it look like i'm singling you out

RBH

Ariexv said:
It has begun!

The only GTA IV poster in both Gamestops I visited today.
getattachmentaspxtr4.jpg
It begins.

moai

again with the console war bullshit? i guess it's time to read post 2222 again...............don´t say they didn´t warned you.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Ariexv said:
It has begun!

The only GTA IV poster in both Gamestops I visited today.
getattachmentaspxtr4.jpg

I was right then. The 1st episode is coming late this year, and the next one in 09.

Anyway there they go advertising the DLC.

Yasser said:
what are basing any of your comments on? don't you think you should play the dlc or wait for some substantial news/previews? you're pretty quick to poo-poo the ps3 dlc, yet make it sound like the 360 dlc will be god's gift to us all.

and to be fair, "screw you"s all round so it doesn't make it look like i'm singling you out

Obviously i'm basing my comments on what is known and rumored. Which is more than basing my comments on nothing.

Anyway, let's stop this piss war, it is what it is, no point arguing over it.

{Mike} said:
Who cares about episodes if you can play with the comfort of a DUALSHOCK 3
This is how I feel. GTA was made for the playstation controller.
-Jeronimo states "We want this game to last for years. Im sure we'll do another GTA some time in the future, but this one is built to last" They also mention that the PS3 will most likely have their own form of DLC as well. (note: Amirox owned. "superior" version lol)

-Any problems with the PS3 version have been addressed and fixed. Sony tech. was there to help.

Nice :D

Safe Bet

Banned
I've been replaying GTA:SA and one thing that has become clear to me is...

Purposely designing a shitty camera so you can use it to artificially increase difficulty is, lame.

I hope "things will be different" in IV.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
InterMoniker said:
This is how I feel. GTA was made for the playstation controller.

Nice :D

Jesus christ, get the system shit out of here! Holy hell. SHUT UP WITH SYSTEM SHIT.

AtomSpike said:
Don't forget the comfort of peace of mind , the RROD is a major threat during extended play sessions.

dear god.

Atomspike said:
Don't forget the comfort of peace of mind , the RROD is a major threat during extended play sessions.
I've heard the noise of the 360 dvd drive causes deafness and occasional bear attacks.

MrTroubleMaker said:
great! I'm glade both versions are going to be excellent!

It's not too surprising. While some ports have turned out bad on the PS3, this was one port that Sony wasn't going to allow that to happen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom