• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Ether_Snake said:
Different scope. Mafia 2 has no helicopters and you can't go on every building. No vertical gameplay. And of course much less freedom.

Oh really? I thought it was a sandbox game like GTA.

jett

D-Member
Littleberu said:
It offers you a city to drive in, but it's more in the vain of Max Payne than GTA.

Oh I see now, I take back the comparison then. Also, I'm gonna go find a copy of Mafia PC. :p

Crusade

Great screens. Somebody at Rockstar is putting them through a compression woodchipper before sending them out though ugh

The game doesn't appear to have that look ( going from the videos) but the it will have a 'heat haze type effect for the background, and some depth of field, too.I think the DOF is only in effect when you're aiming but I could be wrong.Still waiting for the gameplay videos.

newsguy

flipswitch said:
The game doesn't appear to have that look ( going from the videos) but the it will have a 'heat haze type effect for the background, and some depth of field, too.I think the DOF is only in effect when you're aiming but I could be wrong.Still waiting for the gameplay videos.

Previews say that the DOF effect is done all throughout (foreground is always in focus). The assumption is that R* is doing it to give enough draw distance but not detailed enough so they can keep the framerate stable. One site said they thought it was neat but another found it awkward cause it's even going on at night.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The new screens, while not looking great (the screenshot quality, not the actual game graphics), are full of little details that make me happy :D

The new videos are good too but the floating police car in the LCPD one is really distracting. How did nobody at Rockstar spot that?

sinnergy

Tieno said:
Just saw the LCPD video, hilarious!

That shit was awesome.

Willy Wanka said:
The new screens, while not looking great (the screenshot quality, not the actual game graphics), are full of little details that make me happy :D

The new videos are good too but the floating police car in the LCPD one is really distracting. How did nobody at Rockstar spot that?

Uhm yeah, because it's a game, a BIG one, and sometimes they miss stuff.. It's a game.

Anyway I can't believe how good this game looks for such a big game. That Rage engine sure is hot.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
sinnergy said:
Uhm yeah, because it's a game, a BIG one, and sometimes they miss stuff.. It's a game.

I know it's a big game. That doesn't really explain why a trailer made for said BIG game has a floating police car in it :lol Maybe it sneaked by because it's SD web content rather than one of the full blown trailers.

Anyway, it's not a big deal. I just found it quite strange looking.

dejay

Banned
Himuro said:
1204925514.jpg

Hmmm - I'm wondering if those tiny dots near those container stacks in the distance are cars.

Also, does anyone know if crane use has been confirmed in our out for this game? I had forgotten about one of my favourite activities from San Andreas until just now.

Shoho

Banned
I am really worried about the PS3 version. I hope to honest god that the game will run good on ps3. what do you guys think?

Barakov

Are we going to see actual gameplay before this is released? :(
Yeah, I know. Stupid Question. But it had to be asked

Tr4nce

Barakov said:
Are we going to see actual gameplay before this is released? :(
Yeah, I know. Stupid Question. But it had to be asked

Ofcourse. Also, end of March = more info and multiplayer info.

Mr. Sam

There was a pretty good preview in my brother's OPM, with about five or six of the writing staff all writing about their separate experiences of the game following on from a two page "standard" review. Unfortunately, I didn't get through much of it until he wanted his magazine back. Apparently, you can fire forwards now by leaning your arm out of the side window. This is probably news to no one but me, but whatever.

Tr4nce

Wollan said:
The LOD limit showing it's face.

You're probably right. There's this other screenshot around in which you can see the trees really good. The trees look very last-gen'ish, in my opinion.

1204915737.jpg

Crusade

Wow that image is scary ugly. I know it's nice to be honest, but jesus Rockstar, at least try to make you screens look nice

Mr. Sam

The graphics really aren't why I'm buying this game. I mean, it's not like the last what, five GTAs had breathtaking visuals, is it? That being said, I think you're being a bit picky.

One preview I read records the fact that Niko "accidentally" knocks a pedestrian over while reversing, and their drink can tumbles out of their hand and down the road. That sounds pretty impressive, no?

Bliddo

Tr4nce said:
You're probably right. There's this other screenshot around in which you can see the trees really good. The trees look very last-gen'ish, in my opinion.
[ IMG ]http://www.isarapix.com/pix47/1204915737.jpg[/IMG]

ps2 port confirmed

indie85

Banned
This is the one game where graphics are not the top priority in terms of immersion, so I dont really give a fuck if its not graphically top-of-the-line. Gafards ownd.

Crusade

Mr. Sam said:
The graphics really aren't why I'm buying this game. I mean, it's not like the last what, five GTAs had breathtaking visuals, is it? That being said, I think you're being a bit picky.

One preview I read records the fact that Niko "accidentally" knocks a pedestrian over while reversing, and their drink can tumbles out of their hand and down the road. That sounds pretty impressive, no?
This isn't PS2 so yes I expect the visuals to be good, I'm not saying it looks bad or that it's not impressive.

Mr. Sam

Well, then the last few lines were kind of pointless. Anyone else think that the feature where you can dial 911 for the police on your cell is pretty cool? It's the little things that make me want this game more and more each day.

sinnergy

Crusade said:
This isn't PS2 so yes I expect the visuals to be good, I'm not saying it looks bad or that it's not impressive.
So what are you saying? Are you seeing this game in the right context? I mean it's a wide open sandbox game, what I have seen from the game, to me it looks like the best grfx for a sandbox game yet.

durden

"Books made me do it"
Wollan said:
I'm still kinda fascinated by their whole 'paint' filter. Wonder how that looks ingame.

Me too. When I first heard about it I didn't like it at all, but in the videos I can't notice it, and now when I see it in the screens I think it makes the distant backgrounds look a lot like the cover art for the games, which is somehow quite cool.

Still, won't really be able to tell until the game is out, and I still hope you can turn it off.

Crusade

sinnergy said:
So what are you saying? Are you seeing this game in the right context? I mean it's a wide open sandbox game, what I have seen from the game, to me it looks like the best grfx for a sandbox game yet.
It has good art, and will look nice in motion. The visuals have been downgraded though, and are not that great. Something like Assassin's Creed looks much better as far as sandbox goes

What I was saying though was that the screenshots are ugly as sin, and probably not a good representation of the graphics. Rockstar should learn to put out better screenshots

Frenck

Banned
Crusade said:
It has good art, and will look nice in motion. The visuals have been downgraded though, and are not that great. Something like Assassin's Creed looks much better as far as sandbox goes

What I was saying though was that the screenshots are ugly as sin, and probably not a good representation of the graphics. Rockstar should learn to put out better screenshots

To be fair though, AC's open world is plagued by load times and invisible walls.

Kydd BlaZe

Crusade said:

This isn't exactly an accurate comparison. There is so much more content in GTA IV's game world than in Assassin's Creed. So much more to do, and so much more attention to detail.

Himuro said:
I hate how people compare Assassin's Creed to GTA without considering the amount of things going on in AC versus GTA. AC doesn't have random things like people getting fights, nor as many sidequests, nor vechiles that aren't horses (and even then horses aren't EVERYWHERE like cars are in GTA). It has FAR less going on and it doesn't take someone with an IQ of 60 to figure out why AC looks so much better than GTA.

This happens all the time though. People don't consider just how much freedom you're given in GTA compared to other open world games. That of course comes at a price in terms of the visuals not being detailed as those other games. But it's all worth it.

Crusade said:

I'm seriously fed up by all your negative comments about the game's graphics ; everything you post HERE is about how the game looks.

Shut up already.

Crusade

Himuro said:
I hate how people compare Assassin's Creed to GTA or other games in this genre without considering the amount of things going on in AC versus GTA. AC doesn't have random things like people getting fights, nor as many sidequests, nor vechiles that aren't horses (and even then horses aren't EVERYWHERE like cars are in GTA). It has FAR less going on and it doesn't take someone with an IQ of 60 to figure out why AC looks so much better than GTA.

Then you've got these people comparing Mafia 2 to GTAIV when Mafia 1 was hardly a sandbox.
I realise GTA does more, but that's not to say Assassin's Creed doesn't do a shit load on it's own. The levels are choc-a-bloc in geometry, crowds and massive draw-distance, all while processing some of the best animation. You act like there is no happy medium between the two

Littleberu said:
I'm seriously fed up by all your negative comments about the game's graphics ; everything you post HERE is about how the game looks.

Shut up already.

Everything else about it amazes me, but I want it to be as polished as possible, graphics included. Sorry for not glazing it over

deepbrown

BenjaminBirdie said:
Is this question rhetorical?
Well it is now, at first I thought it was smoke in the background....but then i saw the trunk :/ That's pretty shockingly bad - we had better trees in PS2 days. I love loads of the pics....but that one is prob the worst iv seen of the game....also the way the guy appears to be lighted differently to everything else.

I like the artstyle though - looking a bit cell shaded now, since the game doesn't appear to have any textures.

Crusade said:
Everything else about it amazes me, but I want it to be as polished as possible, graphics included. Sorry for not glazing it over

When you take into account everything the game is going to allow you to do, there isn't an open world game that's doing better. I could understand your point if there was another game that did what GTA4 is doing but did it better, but there isn't.

deepbrown

SolidSnakex said:
When you take into account everything the game is going to allow you to do, there isn't an open world game that's doing better. I could understand your point if there was another game that did what GTA4 is doing but did it better, but there isn't.
As long as the framerate doesnt chug :)

eshwaaz

deepbrown said:
Is this meant to be a tree?

That's literally the only thing I've seen graphics-wise that genuinely bothers me. I understand that you need to make compromises when creating open-world games, but that tree is hideously bad. They should have licensed SpeedTree®...

pn18

Banned
eshwaaz said:
That's literally the only thing I've seen graphics-wise that genuinely bothers me. I understand that you need to make compromises when creating open-world games, but that tree is hideously bad. They should have licensed SpeedTree®...
That would be really stupid. SpeedTree® is used to generate thousands of different trees for rural landscapes (eg Oblivion) and it definitively costs a lot. Since they don't have these landscapes in GTAVI it would be wasted money, imo.

However, I think on the screen above you can see a major LOD "problem". I mean, it can't look that shitty in the final game. I'm not an expert, but my guess is, that the LOD-system uses the ingame camera to define what the player sees and what not. Since R* used another camera to screenshot this scene, I think the game thought the tree should be rendered with the lowest level of detail because the player can't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom