• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people going on about frame rate, filters and, stupid of all depth of field?

This has been in previews, complaining that the background is blurred...WTF??? Go now to the window and see how far you can see...does it not blur at a certain distance? Yes, it does! How would it be realistic if everything was in focus?
As for the screen shots..THEY'RE NOT REAL!!! They are either paintings of screen shots or just screen shots that have been put through a filter. So those who are saying look at the trees, think again.
No-way are these videos from recent builds, they were probably made ages ago. Maybe for the in game internet...or for the in game T.V, which I'm 99% certain about. That or newspapers but that's not really "multimedia".
Stop talking about frame rates of videos, they are just videos, OK they may have been made with the same engine but NOBODY but Rockstar knows which build it's from. It could be an early build from years ago.
I personally think the frame rate won't dip below 24fps...and why do you need 30fps anyway (let alone 60fps)? 90% (if not more) of films are 24fps, it's a standard speed. You don't hear people who watched "The Godfather" saying "It was a bit choppy in some scenes".

It's a massive open world, outside and in, up and down, with 100 hours of story. Some people are just so ungrateful.

Thaedolus

Ballistics said:
Why are pople going on about frame rate, filters and, stupid of all depth of field?

This has been in previews, complaining that the background is blurred...WTF??? Go now to the window and see how far you can see...does it not blur at a certain distance? Yes, it does! How would it be realistic if everything was in focus?
As for the screen shots..THEY'RE NOT REAL!!! They are either paintings of screen shots or just screen shots that have been put through a filter. So those who are saying look at the trees, think again.
No-way are these videos from recent builds, they were probably made ages ago. Maybe for the in game internet...or for the in game T.V, which I'm 99% certain about. That or newspapers but that's not really "multimedia".
Stop talking about frame rates of videos, they are just videos, OK they may have been made with the same engine but NOBODY but Rockstar knows which build it's from. It could be an early build from years ago.
I personally think the frame rate won't dip below 24fps...and why do you need 30fps anyway (let alone 60fps)? 90% (if not more) of films are 24fps, it's a standard speed. You don't hear people who watched "The Godfather" saying "It was a bit choppy in some scenes".

It's a massive open world, outside and in, up and down, with 100 hours of story. Some people are just so ungrateful.

...the hell did you just say?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
These new screens just look horrible.

Why are pople going on about frame rate, filters and, stupid of all depth of field?

WHUT?

Ballistics said:
:lol

dork

Banned
Who gives a shit, gta is about gameplay. All these people complaining about graphics are the same people who probably own wiis.

Crusade

Ballistics said:
Why are people going on about frame rate, filters and, stupid of all depth of field?

Only the Sith deal in absolutes

Ballistics said:
Why is it so stupid that the screen shots might not be what they seem?
I mean do they look like graphics to you?

In some cases they're just bad screenshots. Rockstar really doesn't seem to give a shit how the screens look because it's not going to make anyone not buy the game. It's a luxury most developers can only dream of having.

NeoUltima

Himuro said:
These are all images that came from the quiz on the site:

1204925500.jpg

I guess some people were right in their guess that the Statue of Happiness is holding a giant soda bottle or something from a 7/11.
Its a coffee cup.
starbucks.jpg

:lol

NeoUltima said:
Its a coffee cup.
http://utoledo.avifoodweb.com/Backgrounds/starbucks.jpg[IMG]
:lol[/QUOTE]
:lol Never noticed that.

Also: Sweet -- finally GTA-ified my avatar. Thank god for boringboringboring weekend shifts.

MisterHero

dork said:
Who gives a shit, gta is about gameplay. All these people complaining about graphics are the same people who probably own wiis.
you can own a PS3 and still laugh at the concept of 'next-gen' methinks

but hey it's GTA you get to do whatever you want and have lotsa fun doing it am i right?

dejay

Banned
Personally I feel people are just too plain picky - most previews have been extremely positive and even the ones that say the visuals aren't the very best still say that the experience is awesome. Relax people - it's not going to be the best looking game in screenshots but when you're immersed in the game it will be the best looking environment. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Ballistics said:
Go now to the window and see how far you can see...does it not blur at a certain distance?

Actually no, not really; on a clear day everything is sharp. Perhaps you need glasses.

The blurring in GTA IV is part of the LOD system and they use it because it allows them to have greater draw distances without resorting to even uglier graphical compromises like fog.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So while everyone is screaming and bitching did anyone notice the two new trailers over at gametrailers.com?

dejay

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
So while everyone is screaming and bitching did anyone notice the two new trailers over at gametrailers.com?

The Packie and LCPD ones? Yeah - they're on every site.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Ether_Snake said:

You mean LCPD and Packie, the two flash films ripped from the site update?

Yes, we noticed.

Sadaiyappan said:
when they release the multiplayer modes? me look forward to kill in multiplayer.. :lol
21mgrch.jpg

Sorry -- I realize you're probably a non-native English speaker. But I couldn't help it...

Supposed to be announced at the end of this month. Join us in crossing your fingers.

Madman

pn18 said:
That would be really stupid. SpeedTree® is used to generate thousands of different trees for rural landscapes (eg Oblivion) and it definitively costs a lot. Since they don't have these landscapes in GTAVI it would be wasted money, imo.
The use of Speedtree in Warhawk and Resistance is sparse, but effective. Same thing with Ratchet. And I thought people used SpeedTree because it is so low on memory cost? Unless you mean cost in terms of money.

Looking at that second screen someone posted, the trees look fine.

And further into the graphics debate, GTA has never been a looker. It's always looked decent compared to other games, but it has never been great in terms of graphics. It's GTA though, it doesn't need to be stunning.

Fletcher

Ballistics said:
So that looks like graphics does it? Yeah, and I'm Neil Corbett.
Ok, it's not painted but it is NOWAY the graphics of this game. None of the videos are like this.

Those look like graphics. Yes. Do you know what Graphics means?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm confused.
Is this guy suggesting these are like oil paintings or something?
As if the artist painted jaggies and a pretty fucked up looking tree.

What I'm saying is, this is the game BUT the screen shot has been made to look like a water colour painting, you know to stylized it. I like it. But I find it hard to believe the games like that, it's not XII. Come on, the tree isn't a PS2 cardboard cut-out, it's got a trunk and branches...the rest is just blurred, so how can you say it's a shit tree?

Also if it was a painting (which it ISN'T) it would have jaggies when it was made into an image file.

Must be a technique to hide imperfections, I like it though, better than just fog or something to hide the distance, its the depth of field basically.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Isn't it safe to assume that the videos are best to go by on what the game will look graphically than the screens?

Of course. Thank goodness too, because I really dislike the art filter. I guess Monet is the new Trails for this gen's GTA.

J2 Cool

Jtwo said:
Yeah, I'm confused.
Is this guy suggesting these are like oil paintings or something?
As if the artist painted jaggies and a pretty fucked up looking tree.

It doesn't look made of polygons. It looks flat in screenshots. In the game and certain other screens it looks dimensional. It's really odd, but the HD pics are not pretty. These are the reasons we need gameplay videos, to compare. SD little previews from who-knows-what-build tell us nothing.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Isn't it safe to assume that the videos are best to go by on what the game will look graphically than the screens?

Pretty much, smaller screens and videos look great. the massive HD pics they're releasing seem like an aberration rather than a representation of what the game looks like in play.

newsguy

Only on GAF do people judge the game's graphics on one tree. There are plenty of pics showing trees that look 10x better than that nasty shit in that screen. The screen is either old, or it's an anomaly in that shot. For those of us who have always played the series, you know that sometimes something loads funny and it looks shitty. I was just playing SA and as you move quickly things need to load, maybe the tree was in one of the "transitional" phases. No need to worry, in the central park screen you can see full trees and they look fine.

J2 Cool

newsguy said:
Only on GAF do people judge the game's graphics on one tree. There are plenty of pics showing trees that look 10x better than that nasty shit in that screen. The screen is either old, or it's an anomaly in that shot. For those of us who have always played the series, you know that sometimes something loads funny and it looks shitty. I was just playing SA and as you move quickly things need to load, maybe the tree was in one of the "transitional" phases. No need to worry, in the central park screen you can see full trees and they look fine.

Speaking of SA. I repair one of two broken PS2's I have laying around. I sold my working one months ago with some games for money. I'm really excited to play the game again after 4 months without a PS2... and I can't find my damn memory card. I didn't sell it with my old system, I made sure of that, and the dude called me to double check if it came with a memory card. They're the smallest things ever to find though, and I've already executed a massive search.. :(

The good, Los Santos is the best part of the game. Then the countryside. Vegas/Venturas was a huge dissapointment though. I remember when people wanted a whole GTA game based around Vegas in the 70's.

dejay

Banned
J2 Cool said:
Speaking of SA. I repair one of two broken PS2's I have laying around. I sold my working one months ago with some games for money. I'm really excited to play the game again after 4 months without a PS2... and I can't find my damn memory card. I didn't sell it with my old system, I made sure of that, and the dude called me to double check if it came with a memory card. They're the smallest things ever to find though, and I've already executed a massive search.. :(

The good, Los Santos is the best part of the game. Then the countryside. Vegas/Venturas was a huge dissapointment though. I remember when people wanted a whole GTA game based around Vegas in the 70's.

I didn't like Las Venturas mainly because it was so flat - driving is very similar everywhere you go in that city. That's also why I didn't like Vice City as much as I might have and it's also why I'm welcoming back Liberty City, because even though parts of LC in GTA III were flat, there were a lot of hilly areas too; lots of fun.

Anybody think the upcoming ad campaign will be quite interesting?

As much as Take-Two invested in them in the past, I bet MS and Sony will outclass them by quite a bit. This is bar none the biggest game on both consoles and will remain so until next gen.

newsguy

Grimm Fandango said:
Anybody think the upcoming ad campaign will be quite interesting?

As much as Take-Two invested in them in the past, I bet MS and Sony will outclass them by quite a bit. This is bar none the biggest game on both consoles and will remain so until next gen.

How long before release do they usually run the ads? I remember seeing SA commercials for a while before the game launched.

FightyF

Banned
_leech_ said:
I really hope there's some realistic traffic in the game. Not just in density but in speed, too.

Ditto, that was one of my favourite features in the Getaway, and when you drove over 40mph/60kmh through traffic in that game, you were like "whoa this is insane".

Part of it was due to the slow acceleration of cars. You couldn't hit your top speed within seconds. Realistic, essentially.

Judging from how everything else looks (and the way the screens show cars packed in the streets), we may very well have something similarily realistic in GTA4.

I'm so glad this game was delayed rather than rushed for a Fall 2007 launch...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I think what we've seen of the game looks amazing.

dejay

Banned
I've read in some previews that there are extensive freeways and that the traffic is quite fast on them - just like in SA.

kylej

Banned
Himuro said:
http://www.isarapix.com/pix98/1204925500.jpg

I guess some people were right in their guess that the Statue of Happiness is holding a giant soda bottle or something from a 7/11.

Hooray I was actually right for once.

JDSN

Banned
dejay said:
I've read in some previews that there are extensive freeways and that the traffic is quite fast on them - just like in SA.

:lol Awesome, those are the fastest ways to create megaton explosions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom