• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
HOLY SHIT AT WHAT GOES DOWN AT THE PLAZA

That was awesome haha

That was ridiculous. Spoilers regarding the scene:
I was totally into it when it was a four-way standoff.. and then the IAA and the SWAT (?) came in.. and then the fucking helicopters...

This game...

Does anyone else find Franklin to be a completely boring character?

"Gotta get this paper, dog"

"I'm trying to get this paper"

So far, it seems like his only motivation is money, and once Michael and Trevor come in, he's just like a lackey who goes on missions cause he "gotta get that paper". He's just kinda "there".

Dead

well not really...yet
Franklin is definitely the weakest character of the trio so far. Not much motivation.

Hopefully that changes. Either way, the game is clearly Micheal's, with the other two essentially being support characters imo.

So far, it seems like his only motivation is money, and once Michael and Trevor come in, he's just like a lackey who goes on missions cause he "gotta get that paper". He's just kinda "there".

Yeah, Franklin can be pretty boring. Even the transitions to him are boring. Usually he's either washing his damn bike or eating a bag of chips.
And for the most part he feels pretty superfluous to the story.

Robot Pants

Franklin is definitely the weakest character of the trio so far. Not much motivation.

Hopefully that changes. Either way, the game is clearly Micheal's, with the other two essentially being support characters imo.
Unfortunately he doesn't change. He's just kinda "there" for the whole game. Very out of place.

Unicorn

He's getting paper to (pre Trevor intro Franklin character story)
impress and win back is ex girlfriend. Though, even after she says it's not the money he doesn't listen.

DukeBobby

Yeah, I think Franklin is pretty bland.

deim0s

I'd like to know this too - I've been told by a bunch of people that everything stays open, but the posts on this page seem to imply that some of them actually do get locked off. Anyone?

I experienced one with Maude's requests to Trevor. She'll notify you that time is running out. After that never heard from her again. So I restarted from a previous much earlier save.

edit:
Apparently pistol whipping the dude won't satisfy the requirements. :( Got a second request from her so&#8230; probably need to find a stun gun or wait till it unlocks in Ammunation

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So 20 minutes into a triathlon I notice it's getting darker out and the bicycle has a light on it. For some reason I am like "I wonder if it has high beams" so I hit dpad right.

It instantly quit the race. Fuck.

I was super interested in a story about Franklin trying to get out of the petty gangbanging lifestyle and trying to be a high reward bank robber like Michael. I'm only halfway through, but Franklin's transition from hood to heist feels way too quick and barely touched upon.

MYeager

There's some more detail for the reasons behind this on LifeInvader/emails
his ex-girlfriend broke up with him and is now dating a doctor, and people think it's because she wanted someone rich. Franklin tries to get money and even exchanges emails about getting her back but he doesn't understand that it's not the money that is the problem.

The lackey thing is because he wants what Michael has and is willing to do what it takes to learn from him.
He even speaks about how much he's learned later on
. So yeah, it's about money, but for reasons.

Dresden

He's basically the player's stand-in and I feel like this is made more clear as you go through the game. I like him, but he's pretty bland overall - it really is Michael's story in the end.

DukeBobby

So 20 minutes into a triathlon I notice it's getting darker out and the bicycle has a light on it. For some reason I am like "I wonder if it has high beams" so I hit dpad right.

I finished it on my third attempt, due to crashing my bike after the 20 minute mark on the two previous attempts.

I share your pain.

Michael is definitely the character that has the most emotional depth to him. Trevor doesn't really need it because he's just supposed to be a catalyst for Michael's behavior. I'm halfway through so I don't know how it goes, but I hope they play up more of the Michael/Franklin mentor/protege thing later on to bring a bit more life to Franklin.

Also, the
FIB
missions feel utterly ridiculous and out of place, and while they're fun, they sandbagged the story.

Robot Pants

I finished it on my third attempt, due to crashing my bike after the 20 minute mark on the two previous attempts.

I share your pain.
Haha once I hit the 15 minute mark of that triathlon and knew I was only half way through, I said "I better get first place cause there is no way I'm doing this again"

You suffered for us me. I would've done the exact same thing.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Bought the hanger, it is nice being able to drive around the Airport without getting chased and shot at, now if only the same could be said about the military base.

Derrick01

Banned
So I bought the last car I needed for another $250,000 and as soon as I deliver it and walk out down the street, another drives by. I spent 20 minutes looking for it before giving up and buying it. *sigh*

Dead Man

So I bought the last car I needed for another $250,000 and as soon as I deliver it and walk out down the street, another drives by. I spent 20 minutes looking for it before giving up and buying it. *sigh*

It's GTA, once you are in a car, you see dozens of them. Always has been, probably always will be even when they don't have memory shortage excuses.

Gorillaz

Just finished "Hang Ten" and might not have been a big mission or anything important but holy shit was that the funniest one in the game. Trevor just went up to another level for me after that

Derrick01

Banned
It's GTA, once you are in a car, you see dozens of them. Always has been, probably always will be even when they don't have memory shortage excuses.

This was about a minute after I had delivered it and got the message and everything though. I was walking on foot down the street.

Dead Man

This was about a minute after I had delivered it and got the message and everything though. I was walking on foot down the street.

Yeah, the effect lasts until you get into another car quite often. I bought a Vigero because I couldn't find one for days, got in, saw nothing but Vigeros for hours afterwards.

I exploit that like a champ.

Keep a nice upgraded Infernus in my garage at all times, hop in, zoom zoom, hop out, find more on the street to drive recklessly.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I share your pain.

I am now terrified.

But yes, others take my pain as a learning experience. Quitting a triathalon has no "are you sure?" confirmation, I hit it and immediately swapped into normal clothes and realized what just happened. I'm taking a thumb healing break before going at it again.

And no, bicycles do not have high beams!

SirNinja

I took a selfie of the (Random Encounter spoiler)
Naked dead cultists after they tried to rape that girl.

Haha, guess I wasn't the only one who did that. Granted, I was playing as Trevor and it seemed like something he would have done...

I don't get the criticism the game's story received from reviewers. It was pretty good for a game.

For every reviewer that didn't like the story, there were about three or four that loved it, at least from everything I've read.

I feel your pain there. I was doing a mini-mission as Trevor involving flying a plane from the airstrip by the Alamo Sea. Everything went perfectly, and I parked the plane in the hangar as instructed. I then got out of the plane...and to my surprise, that instantly failed the mission, and I had to do the entire thing from scratch. Turns out I just needed to drive the plane a few inches farther into the hangar, after which Trevor would exit the plane automatically. ARGH.

Hip Hop

Most likely saving the Lester missions for the end of the game.

That would have been nice to know early on, but I finished those missions thinking they were part of the main game. As good as the campaign was, I'm not going back and replaying it. Looks like I am stuck with measly million dollar crumbs.

Brizzo24

Can you legitimately sail a sailboat? I know it might sound absurd for those of you who don't get out on the water too much, or always happen to reach for the fastest powerboat—without so much as glancing at a sailboat.

Point is, I enjoyed the sailing portions of Ass. Creed III: paying attention to the wind's direction, pointing the ship in the right direction to get maximum sail, etc. Hell, I even enjoy sailing in LoZ: WW.

GTA has never taken advantage of sailing. Sailboats go painfully slow and are reliant on their 'putter' motor. It sucks. I can't tell you how awesome it'd be to buy a nautical outfit, or even a Tom Hanks-like Cast Away motif and just sail the open water. I don't need to be a speed demon, but it'd be nice to do more than simply putt around with a shitty motor.

p.s. I'm about 20 hours into the game, FYI.

Also, didn't realize it's Lamar on the front page of this thread.

TheSoviet

Neo Member
Regarding border patrol;

I killed the two guys, cant remember their names, but can I still do border control missions that are listed on the social club website? I'm guessing not but I thought I'd ask.

Arcteryx

Most likely saving the Lester missions for the end of the game.

Yep.

I was careful during my playthrough not to spend needlessly(basically zero properties until post-game) and then I followed the guide on Reddit for how to properly invest(Redwood is SUPER important; plus there are some other stocks you can double-dip and rebound off of too on top of the regular investing).

Top Bottom