• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

elektrixx

Banned
I just got to Trevor, and wow, I can already tell I'm going to hate his guts. He just reeks of them trying way too hard to create an over the top, completely nuts character, and he's incredibly one note. Maybe he'll get better as the game goes along, but I'm not a fan so far.

He cools down later but he's still so annoying. I despised him every time I switched to him.

He's a definitive jerk.

[Finale]
And now you know what I did at the end.

The problem with Frank is that he, in comparison, isn't as interesting because of the other two characters.

Having a main that actually wants to get out of the hood is pretty cool and such, but when you have an insane, gas huffing nutcase and a man with family issues, Frank's stuff is kinda pale.

That isn't to say what's there isn't interesting: his actions and hypocrisy, his interactions with his friend Lamar, the usage of money and staying true to yourself or changing for the better, etc. All that starts that the beginning of the game and just kinda peters off when the other characters get explored.

Suddenly, Frank is the voice of reason, and his own troubles are barely brought to the front like the others. They really could have done more with him, since he's a real good character that genuinely wants to change but doesn't know how.

I mean, the story balance is way off. Trevor gets some exploration, but it's not as deep as Michael, who the story seems to place as the main character, and I was hoping for something different when the game was first announced.

Edit: On another note, I can't wait for a patch. I'm really started to get angry at the lack of care put into the cop system. By that, I mean the retarded system of having peds call the cops on you if you stand too close to them, and by that, it's like a good distance away. Oh, and the cops need to stop freaking out and help me out once in a while. I pissed off three peds without harming them, and had a cop watch as I got pummeled, but the second I defend myself it's "STOP THIS IS THE POLICE". And another thing, if I help you take down a criminal outside the random encounters, don't fire on me. I honestly don't see how that stuff got through testing, or how reviewers kinda skimped on those details.

SJRB

Gold Member
Can you legitimately sail a sailboat? I know it might sound absurd for those of you who don't get out on the water too much, or always happen to reach for the fastest powerboat—without so much as glancing at a sailboat.

Point is, I enjoyed the sailing portions of Ass. Creed III: paying attention to the wind's direction, pointing the ship in the right direction to get maximum sail, etc. Hell, I even enjoy sailing in LoZ: WW.

GTA has never taken advantage of sailing. Sailboats go painfully slow and are reliant on their 'putter' motor. It sucks. I can't tell you how awesome it'd be to buy a nautical outfit, or even a Tom Hanks-like Cast Away motif and just sail the open water. I don't need to be a speed demon, but it'd be nice to do more than simply putt around with a shitty motor.

p.s. I'm about 20 hours into the game, FYI.

Also, didn't realize it's Lamar on the front page of this thread.

Bought a 500k sailboat yesterday and indeed - the sailboats don't actually sail. It sucks. Appears to be a glitch though, there's no way that is deliberately done.

The only way is to find a sailboat which already has its sail hoisted [pirate lingo I guess, not sure what the phrase is] is to find one randomly spawning.

Hip Hop

Yep.

I was careful during my playthrough not to spend needlessly(basically zero properties until post-game) and then I followed the guide on Reddit for how to properly invest(Redwood is SUPER important; plus there are some other stocks you can double-dip and rebound off of too on top of the regular investing).

can you link to that reddit guide

Derrick01

Banned
I really wish these heist setup missions didn't count as story missions. I just
bought 3 masks
and that counted as a full mission. So cheap.

I tried to help. *commits seppuku* ;-)

It's all random anyway. I found some vehicles out in the hills but the rest were nowhere in the area. The cars were pretty cheap too, only about $500k total for both.

That isn't to say what's there isn't interesting: his actions and hypocrisy, his interactions with his friend Lamar, the usage of money and staying true to yourself or changing for the better, etc. All that starts that the beginning of the game and just kinda peters off when the other characters get explored.

You've articulated my exact problem with it. I feel like they just drop what could have been some interesting character development. They laid the ground work but didn't follow through.

SirNinja

Don't buy anything unnecessary or do any assassination missions until the end of the game. Then do those missions, abusing the hell out of the stock market each time.

All three characters will have a ton of money when all is said and done. Michael can now buy the three cinemas to give him all the money he'll ever need, and someone else can buy the golf course for a decent weekly income as well. The third character buys up everything else he is able to, maximizing his weekly profits. (When I get some spare time, I want to figure out whether it's more optimal for Franklin or Trevor to buy the golf course, given who is allowed to purchase the remaining properties.)

If you want even more money after that, it's just a matter of buying low stocks, influencing their price (by sabotaging a company's competitors, etc), being fairly lucky and patient, and selling them as high as you can. It takes some experimenting, so save often and in multiple slots.

why, these are the best cop mechanics in any gta ever. I love dealing with the cops in this game. if you're concerned about getting killed really quickly aim better or learn to use cover.

lol "aim better" yeah okay.

These glass characters last like 2 seconds in open combat with man, beast, vehicle, shark, pavement, dirt, glass, and pretty much anything that can cause any amount of harm. "Aim better" ain't got nothing to do with it.

uberluigi

Banned
Wow this game keeps getting better and better, don't want it to end! How much more is left I
just stole the blue prints from the architect for the fib building mission
and also how do you activate the bounty hunter missions?

SJRB

Gold Member
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FCIR4S6/?tag=neogaf0e-20,

Has anyone bought the the OST from amazon? I bought it, and towards the end of every song, it gets all loud, and distorted. It scared the crap out of me when I was listening to it initially. I linked the specific volume on top.

I bought it off of iTunes, no volume problems there. Not sure what's going on with yours, perhaps Amazon messed up somewhere. Maybe try to re-download it?

These glass characters last like 2 seconds in open combat with man, beast, vehicle, shark, pavement, dirt, glass, and pretty much anything that can cause any amount of harm. "Aim better" ain't got nothing to do with it.

Net fighting the good fight in this thread.

FpsAwAU.gif

I remember when you had a decent amount of health in GTA games. Then this gen, someone at Rockstar said "Gee, let's make it more realistic and have the player die more easily to make exploring and combat less fun." They gotta patch it, and provide an option to stick with glass characters for the insane people who love dying repeatedly. Even in IV, you weren't so stupidly brittle. Also, infinitely respawning helicopters is cheap bullshit. If I take one down, there should be a long delay before another one appears to take potshots at me while I'm in cover.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Does anyone know if checking/unchecking certain resolution boxes on PS3 will help with jaggies? Playing on a nice asus monitor.

DukeBobby

Wow this game keeps getting better and better, don't want it to end! How much more is left I
just stole the blue prints from the architect for the fib building mission
and also how do you activate the bounty hunter missions?

I'd say you're about 75-80% into the game.

ieatzombies

I really wish these heist setup missions didn't count as story missions. I just
bought 3 masks
and that counted as a full mission. So cheap.

It's all random anyway. I found some vehicles out in the hills but the rest were nowhere in the area. The cars were pretty cheap too, only about $500k total for both.
I figured as much. Since the in game web has the cars available to purchase, makes sense not to deal with the constraints of memory generating the vehicle sets. Much less frustrating.

Regarding border patrol;

I killed the two guys, cant remember their names, but can I still do border control missions that are listed on the social club website? I'm guessing not but I thought I'd ask.

Honestly might just be an error on the website's part.

Another problem I have with this game is money. Without that exploit(s), you are looking at hours of useless grinding. 5000k when you die once you have a certain amount of dosh, but then some missions don't even pay you, and many of the random missions I've found haven't given me a cent.

Spoilers for a random mission:
There's a shootout in the desert area, and if you aid the cops you get jack shit. I understand that it wouldn't be "realistic" to give me money after saving half the police force's ass, but as a gameplay design it's kinda shit
Same thing in Fallout annoyed me when I was getting way more compensation for the bad options and not the good, which translated me doing things out of necessary because I need the better items.

I remember when you had a decent amount of health in GTA games. Then this gen, someone at Rockstar said "Gee, let's make it more realistic and have the player die more easily to make exploring and combat less fun." They gotta patch it, and provide an option to stick with glass characters for the insane people who love dying repeatedly. Even in IV, you weren't so stupidly brittle. Also, infinitely respawning helicopters is cheap bullshit. If I take one down, there should be a long delay before another one appears to take potshots at me while I'm in cover.

The helicopter thing is hilarious. It's like they're on a conveyor belt being shot out of a factory one after another. I ended up with 3 stars because of the store robbery random event earlier, and without cover in Blaine County, it was a mess. Just helicopter after helicopter, and squad car after squad car with nowhere to take cover. At least in the city you can duck behind a bush and avoid God, but in the countryside it's a death sentence. If you dare try to change cars, or hold them off hoping for some breathing room LOL DEAD

Second heist spoilers

During the Merryweather Heist mission, I was watching Michael through the scope as Franklin. He said he would take a guard out, snuck up behind him and knifed him in the neck. Is this an actual takedown you can do in the game?

Spat_triate

Second heist spoilers

During the Merryweather Heist mission, I was watching Michael through the scope as Franklin. He said he would take a guard out, snuck up behind him and knifed him in the neck. Is this an actual takedown you can do in the game?

Yes. Equip a knife and do a sneaky takedown :p

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the game, but there are some back asswards design choices all over the place.

On the other hand the big missions, stranger missions, and random events are mostly great in spite of the issues I'm having.

Oh I agree with you. Lots of extremely questionable design choices in this game. I like it a lot in spite of that.

Beat it a few hours ago, very fun missions overall, but undercooked everything else. I still prefer San Andreas honestly. Felt more like a complete package.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It's really annoying that these characters can't share property, I have this nice big hanger, and only Michael can use it for anything, which means the Airport is still off limits for the other two characters, and I'll never be able to steal and store a plane anywhere with Franklin.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Never saw a green dot pop up again in the desert. Still wonder what that was..

green dots are normally something you need to pick up, like when a lady gets mugged on the street, you chase and kill the guy getting away, her purse would show as a green dot. you grab it and take it back to blue dot (lady)

duckroll

It's really annoying that these characters can't share property, I have this nice big hanger, and only Michael can use it for anything, which means the Airport is still off limits for the other two characters, and I'll never be able to steal and store a plane anywhere with Franklin.

It's a morality tale about how all the stories you hear about the white man keeping the black man down are all true.

Lisker

Does anyone know if checking/unchecking certain resolution boxes on PS3 will help with jaggies? Playing on a nice asus monitor.

It won't do a single thing. The best you can try to do is play with the settings of your screen. I haven't really had that much problem with it. Maybe try playing the game without focussing on the technical details and enjoy it for what it is?

DukeBobby

green dots are normally something you need to pick up, like when a lady gets mugged on the street, you chase and kill the guy getting away, her purse would show as a green dot. you grab it and take it back to blue dot (lady)

Keep the money: $500
Give it back: $50

It's always an easy decision for me.

malfcn

TO my knowledge I didn't participate in it. Will I have another chance?

red731

I haven't shared what happened to me. A bug regarding late mission with F+M. The
save Michael as Franklin one.

When I tracked down the building M was held as a meat, I stepped out of the car as F and what didn't happen - my body model was gone and I could see only weapon
KuGsj.gif
I was saving him as a ghost. It took me out of the game more than a bit, but it was funny none the less.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving the game and don't care about 'not enough cash' or 'I did wrong thing with wrong guy'

michael owns hangers and is the only one that can't fly for shit. I don't care. I'll play a second time and correctly invest on the lester missions next time and use the right guys for the right things.

If I finish out the game with most properties for each character and can then tool around with enough weekly income to keep investing in body armor, I'm alright.

also chop is the BEST for finding notes/ufo parts. 'find pickup' he goes really far. has a stupid amount of free guns as well for franklin to use.

TO my knowledge I didn't participate in it. Will I have another chance?

I failed a random encounter once as my car had a flat tire and couldn't catch a getaway bike. same event triggered again later after I had forgotten about it, I think at the same place, so yes most likely. just go back around there.

Gorillaz

Did a mission recently and I gotta agree with people who say Michael is definitely "Max Payne" inspired. There was a scene that played out (heading into the big heist) where I was like "damn the only thing missing is the health song tears"

ssoass

Finished the game after 63 hours... loved every minute of it.

It reminded me of playing San Andreas when it came out, except V is a huge improvement in every way.. this was like the ultimate GTA.. hats off to Rockstar.

Keep the money: $500
Give it back: $50

It's always an easy decision for me.

Some give you missions for doing so, but since Rockstar decided for us all that guessing would be a better decision, I end up just going the 50 route in hopes of a bonus some day later.

From the cheats people have been finding, it's seems as if they are standing on the precipice of the motherload. I don't think BMX was in the data mine, and that was found yesterday. It's going to happen soon.

Edit: Moon cheat. Thanks to the people on the GTA Forums for all their hard work.

Moon Gravity
Xbox: Left Left LB RB LB Right Left LB Left
Ps3: Left Left L1 R1 L1 Right Left L1 Left

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It's a morality tale about how all the stories you hear about the white man keeping the black man down are all true.

Lol.
I made a save before I did it, so I assume it is available to buy for Franklin too, Michael was just who I was playing at the time.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
It won't do a single thing. The best you can try to do is play with the settings of your screen. I haven't really had that much problem with it. Maybe try playing the game without focussing on the technical details and enjoy it for what it is?

I'm at over 30 hours with 20 missions to go. It's a goty contender for me. I was just curious since I went from a launch phatty that broke to a super slim today and it looks a little bit worse. Maybe it's just in my head.

Focusing on the story missions to get it finished so I don't get spoiled somehow. My gosh the tension in the (Late-ish story spoiler here)
cemetery with Mike and Trevor and finding brad buried. I actually feel really bad for Trevor sometimes.

The music! I need the original score for this game asap.

haha, ok. put on some armor if you keep getting killed. I haven't run into the problems you are describing. they were going for a more realistic style with the game. the characters last two seconds when facing lethal force because well that's typically how it works

try pressing the cover button every once in a while.

Top Bottom