• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Well, restarted the system several times and the kifflom mission just won't show. Think it's totally glitched and I won't be able to get 100% now ;-;

Concept17

Tried everything aside from deleting my only save to get this game to work.

Fucking hell.

EDIT: Deleted my save. Game is installing just fine now. -_-

Pyccko

Hah, man, I just pulled off a silly ass maneuver. Assaulted the army base in a Prius.

Was juking around all the soldiers in their jeeps for like 2 minutes before I could get into the hangar with the jet in it. Popped in, got on top of the jet, threw a couple grenades at the guys that followed me in, and took off. Crashed it into a bridge about 5 minutes later. WHAT A WASTE

I salute you, little Prius.

Hunter S.

The torture mission
with Trevor is the only mission I ever remember disgusting me in GTA. Trevor is darkly amusing as hell, but it felt evil. Somehow it seems worse than all the slaying I have done? WTF?

The torture mission
with Trevor is the only mission I ever remember disgusting in GTA. Trevor is darkly amusing as hell, but it felt evil. Somehow it seems worse than all the slaying I have done? WTF?

It tapped into their Manhunt legacy which I didn't think Rockstar North had in them anymore.

As if I didn't already want a sequel..................

Hunter S.

It tapped into their Manhunt legacy which I didn't think Rockstar North had in them anymore.

As if I didn't already want a sequel..................

Never got that far in manhunt so long ago. It is not one of their most profitable games so I assume they will not make a new one soon.

I tried to finish the Hunting activity three times and got nailed by cougars every single time. The first time I spotted him too late, couldn't get a bead on him with the rifle and ate it. Second time one I saw him coming, switched to the assault shotgun and started blazing, but I was panicking so much that I missed every single shot. Third time I saw him coming, clicked into Frenzy mode and took the sucker out, then emptied the rest of the magazine into his corpse for good measure. Then, as I'm taking the picture to send to Cletus, I hear another snarl, and I start jamming on Circle to back out of the phone menu but Trevor won't put it away fast enough and it's all over again before I even know it.

Fourth time's a charm:
Cn5v6Sf.jpg

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The torture mission
with Trevor is the only mission I ever remember disgusting me in GTA. Trevor is darkly amusing as hell, but it felt evil. Somehow it seems worse than all the slaying I have done? WTF?

Late game spoiler
How did you feel about Michael's torture scene? Nobody seems to mention it for some reason. perhaps because it's played for laughs but it's just as bad imo

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Late game spoiler
How did you feel about Michael's torture mission? Nobody seems to mention it for some reason

Seeing a bunch of men
falling into meat grinders and getting chopped in half
feels a lot different than
smashing the testicles of a seemingly innocent man

TTG

So, do the cars that are legitimately purchased respawn at the garage? Because I see no other advantage in buying one. While on the topic of the economy, I think I'm gonna hold of on the Lester missions for Franklin until I get a big bankroll, have to cash in on the stock market in a bigger way if I ever want to purchase some of the properties available.

Antti

I don't know why people have a problem with the
torture mission
, the mission where
you're pretending to be firemen and you're in the skyscraper stairwell as the building is collapsing made me feel uneasy because it's very 9/11'ish.

DjRoomba

Banned
Seeing a bunch of men
falling into meat grinders and getting chopped in half
feels a lot different than
smashing the testicles of a seemingly innocent man

In all fairness it was up to you whether you smashed dem testicles. You sicko...

Omni

>Spend 2 million on a attack helicopter
>Be really excited about your purchase
>Realise how screwed up piloting is
>Thing is pretty much useless

God damnit. I don't know if it can be fixed in a patch or what, but what a mess.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
In all fairness it was up to you whether you smashed dem testicles. You sicko...

The first time I did it, he went for the knee. Second time.... oh lordy.

Haven't done the other mission. I'm guessing it's a question mark type?

I don't know why people have a problem with the
torture mission
, the mission where
you're pretending to be firemen and you're in the skyscraper stairwell as the building is collapsing made me feel uneasy because it's very 9/11'ish.

SERIOUSLY!! Just completed that mission tonight, thought "Man, First I torture some guy, then I commit
an act of 'terrorism' on a government building
... what's next?"

Are the Main Stories in the markets supposed to change at all? Mine has been stuck talking about the
Life Invader bombing even though I've done the first Lester mission as Franklin.
I would've thought that would be major news.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The first time I did it, he went for the knee. Second time.... oh lordy.

Haven't done the other mission. I'm guessing it's a question mark type?

No, it's a story mission. Not a very interesting one, just some filler near the end of the game.

Dunno if this is just me or not...but occasionally when playing as Franklin his special stat (not the meter) degrade a little bit from time to time?

Angst

otays

STOCK MARKET STRATEGURY

The only way you can get vast amounts of money quickly is by maximizing your investments before and after Lester's assassination missions, so some spoilers regarding those missions in the following link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VLK0HCFWmfb7uG4_tzurGGBVY1WZBxF-2iKRwNojZRs/viewform

I'm on the 7th investment opp atm, the only thing this guide doesn't take into account is:

1. When the stock hits bottom (and what is the lowest value)
2. When the stock hits its peak (what is the highest value)
3. How long it takes to reach 1 or 2
4. How long the stock stays at its bottom or peak

Basically you will be utilizing the bed save with Franklin a lot to pass the time so the market moves faster (some stocks will take 1 or 2 saves to bottom out/max out - others will take 12+ to hit peak as an FYI) Also you can invest will all of your characters, not just Franklin:

I wrote down a few of the expected highs/lows/returns just so you can better maximize your earnings (all of the other guides I've seen don't have any of these written in, some have maybe one or two expected results tops):

I think Debonair tops out at ~51% return at ~$1066 a share (or maybe I mixed it up with Redwood)
Redwood tops out at around 300% return (after it rebounds save one or two more times and it will explode to around 300%)
Facade maxes out at 33% return at $570 per share ($202 low point)
Vapid tops out at ~147% return at ~$500 per share.
Gold Coast tops out at ~82% return at ~$250 per share.

The thing to mention here is to have a save prior to accepting his mission WITH YOUR MONEY CASHED OUT!!!!!! and keep that save in case you mess up or sell too early/too late.

Because BAWSAQ, though affected by your offline decisions is still an online-tied/dependent market -- so if you miss the boat on a stock peak it will drop and keep dropping despite reloading a previous save post-mission, in this case you have to make a note of the peak price and reload the save before the mission and do it over and then sell at the peak you jotted down.

Also, if you played these missions already and didn't max out your investments with all characters you CANNOT replay them and play the stock market game, you would have to start a new game to take advantage of this banking strategy.

For me, right before doing the
Vapid Bus
mission I was sitting on a little over 400 million (1 billion after post-mission trading) and by the end of the
construction
mission I had 1.8 billion.

So if you're at that or higher you're in good shape (I did not get to do the
Aug insurance
double dip thing after the first assassination so I missed out on that money).

Thanks! Bookmarked :)

>Spend 2 million on a attack helicopter
>Be really excited about your purchase
>Realise how screwed up piloting is
>Thing is pretty much useless

God damnit. I don't know if it can be fixed in a patch or what, but what a mess.

Work at it a while. V's helicopters feel totally different to the ones from VC through to IV, but I think they're actually better. You have to be more gentle with them, as the controls are far more sensitive and responsive, but once you get used to them you'll find that the choppers in this game are faster and more manoeuvrable than ever. The only problem is the way they list around in the air, which I assume is something to do with turbulence (since the planes do it, too), but it's not that big a problem.

Work at it a while. V's helicopters feel totally different to the ones from VC through to IV, but I think they're actually better. You have to be more gentle with them, as the controls are far more sensitive and responsive, but once you get used to them you'll find that the choppers in this game are faster and more manoeuvrable than ever. The only problem is the way they list around in the air, which I assume is something to do with turbulence (since the planes do it, too), but it's not that big a problem.

They are faster and more maneuverable than they've ever been, but they're also way too wobbly. Simple acts like flying straight, making small corrections, or even attempting to land are accompanied by the aircraft rocking and veering off course for no reason. Instead of flying, it feels like you're wrangling a wild animal.

It's manageable, but it's not fun.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

To each their own.

I enjoyed GTAIV, and I'm enjoying GTAV.

I enjoyed Michaels story, even though I hated the actual exchanges between him an his family.. seeing as though none of it was convincing in the slightest.

Franklins story is interesting, but goes along the same lines as Far Cry 3. He seems very innocent, but at the same he has no issues with killing 20-40 people per gang mission in the name of "self defense".

Trevor is my least favorite, just because he's so blown out of proportion. He mellows out about a quarter into the campaign with random apeshit moments, followed by a meltdown resulting in what he started out as. I haven't done a single one of his optional side quests, nor do I honestly care to.

As far as story goes, nothing really does happen. The only portion of marketing that I cared to pay attention to was the heist angle, something that I feel will be overwhelmingly lacking until the online portion is live. In GTAIV, you did a bunch of missions that gave you at least some money. In this game, there are major scores mixed with jack shit, making me wonder how heavily I need to rely on the stockmarket.

I still haven't done a single thrift shop stick up, and I've only robbed two armored cars. These things feel like petty theft compared to what I was hoping for: at least 5 moneymaking heists, consisting of submissions that are more than just "snag a mask, steal this car". I mean, think of the potential: Break into the completely useless prison to get an ex accomplice to reattempt a past heist that went haywire, or to get revenge on the person who ratted you out, who just so happens to have keys to a safe holding 500K that's in a secure location for you to bust out. (and that's just a side mission to a full on heist)

With that said, I still fully enjoy this game. Like the article writer, I'm impressed by the actual mechanics of the game (lighting, sound, traffic, immersion in general). I'd still give it a GOTY with all the complaints and commentaries I may have.

In any case, I'm enjoying this game over GTAIV purely in the sense that I'm not playing the part of an entirely depressed main character who has nothing other than a cousin who cares for nothing but big american titties. The family angle appeals to me, seeing as though I have a daughter. Franklins bit of being smart and wanting out of the gangbanger life also appeals to me, because he's trying to learn and earn a better life (even if it's through criminal means). This is something I'm doing through work and schooling.

Apologies for the wall. That read just started me on a long tangent.

Back to stealing blimps and flipping off pedestrians!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I see the flying controls get a lot of heat but I think it's more the turbulence(or whatever). The helicopter wobbling makes them a bitch to make fine adjustments and precision landing, but I can control them fine.

This game reminded me how awesome My War is, I never wanna leave the car when it's on. Keith Morris as the DJ of Channel X is pretty cool too even though i was never a huge fan of his

Also good for discovering new stuff! I'm kinda sorta newish to rap so I liked the Jay Rock song, among some others.

On another note, I'm a bit of a moron on this. Is there are more concise, less purple prose version of what he's saying?

What I got out of it was that he's basically not sure if the game is aimed at people like him anymore, either because the game is more mean spirited than before or that he's just too damn old for this shit

Okay, whew. That thought would've haunted me for a long time. I tried holding it for a split second and it didn't go up, so I figured you had to tap it for each share (something I wouldn't put past R*)

GlamFM

Banned
Some things I did just wont trigger in the social club. Watching TV or buying stocks for example. I did it over and over - still the social club thinks I never did it.

Any advice?

Twinduct

I kinda get where he is coming from. Although I think that's more to do with what his expectation is with the idea of gaming. Somewhere he wished/ hoped that gaming would 'grow up' or 'mature' in the same way he has matured.

Although he has moved on and faced different challenges in life that shaped him to find a more specific need for a game, Rockstar has not and they made a game around the same core ideals/ target that they've always been doing it.

I've been feeling like that for awhile, but mostly with stuff from Nintendo where I could identify when I was school, but not anymore.

I also agree with his view on the general direction of the story. The meta narrative was always there but 90% of the time it never felt like the central theme was applied to everyone and that their personal story is swept away in the name of fun or illogical movers.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the cops have some neat AI reactions.

I saw a shootout last night between two cops and some random dude. They chased him until he crashed, and that's when they started shooting. One the cops died and the other yelled "officer down!" and then the guy started to run down an alley and the officer said (I guess to his radio) "pursuing on foot!" and went chasing after him.

Man, so simple but so awesome. The random police chases alone already make this the greatest GTA.

I recently followed a chase as Franklin and stopped to watch the resulting faceoff. There was quite a buildup of traffic as the shootout raged on between cops and crooks in the middle of the road. Didn't see what happened exactly, but a stray bullet must have hit a gas tank, as there was suddenly a HUGE explosion consisting of at least 5-6 cars. I just stood there in shock as I realised everyone was down, and the shooting had stopped. Only the sound of a nearby car alarm and sirens in the distance.

Tried to take a photo/selfie of the aftermath about 10 times, but Social Club wasn't having it =/

Ah well. With this game, at least there is always next time...

Made a compact for myself:

0_0.jpg

Hahaha, classic Trevor. This is exactly what I imagine him using LifeInvader/Bleeter would be like... if he gave a shit.

Regarding wanting GTA to "grow up": I think the issue is that GTAV is really dumb. Like really dumb, and really juvenile, and really on the nose and yelling about its satire and caricatures. They've never been subtle, but the entire game is really loud, and brash, and dumb, and mean on a level it's never been, and through however many mission I've done, feels unfocused as a narrative. Combined with the tedious parts of missions and sluggish mechanics, the game can grate, so I get that. That's why I said while listening to the OST a few days ago that I wish the game wasn't so blatantly stupid and took advantage of some of those moody, tense, atmospheric tracks a little more regarding the style of the story.

I don't think Dan Houser and his staff can push this style of GTA any farther. This is the epitome of mean spirited, ugly, loud, vulgar Americana satire in a GTA game. I think it would do well for them to dial the tone back a bit (not the gameplay, like in IV), and do something different next time out. I, personally, had no issues with GTAIV going for a more serious tone, only that they took out so much gameplay variety from San Andreas. Hell, if GTAV was a more classic heist thriller, I would've enjoyed it the same, if not more, and it probably would've helped the narrative as those 3 man jobs are when the game is at its strongest in theme, character interplay, and scenario.

But hell, a lot of it is still fun so whatever I guess.

As great as it sounds to earn 2 billion by manipulating the stocks during Lester's missions, there should have been a much easier or fun way to earn cash late in the game.

Granted. I still need to do 30+ story missions but from what I have noticed, getting money is a pain in the ass.

Fjordson

Oh shit, just did a random event to rush this guy to the airport for a flight and the guy gave me a stock tip. Making some pretty great money off of it. Awesome.

I agree that it's difficult for big open-world games to tell a tight narrative, and V's plot isn't immune to wandering, but it seems like the other stuff is just down to his personal taste. I mean I can't even imagine the number of times I've read the phrase "GTA IV was too serious" over the past few years. Different strokes for different folks.

I loved IV and Red Dead for the reasons he mentioned, but other people didn't. And at the same time, I can appreciate V for what it's trying to do.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
As great as it sounds to earn 2 billion by manipulating the stocks during Lester's missions, there should have been a much easier or fun way to earn cash late in the game.

Granted. I still need to do 30+ story missions but from what I have noticed, getting money is a pain in the ass.

The sad part is that Rockstar are capable of fixing this with a simple patch. Just change the values of the properties and the amount of income they generate. Make properties actually generate a profit in a reasonable time ala Vice City Stories. It's not even a matter of them adding new content for better chances of making quick money. It literally is a simple matter of changing the values on the properties you can purchase. Well that and I'd also say changing it from a weekly income to a daily income would be a good idea considering how long weeks take to go by in this game.

Top Bottom