• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Pulled up to a group of 5 or 6 Ballas and started revving my Cheetah. At first they were impressed and one got out their phone to take a photo.

But then as I kept revving more and more the others got pissed and shouted at me eventually one pulling a gun out and shooting which triggered the whole fucking street after me including 2 cars chasing me out of the neighborhood lol.

The PSN version is actually really good, depending on what PS3 model you have. I'm running it on the "fat" 80GB PS3 (the one bundled with MGS4, and one of the last models to have hardware backward-compatibility with PS2 games), and it's virtually identical to the retail version in both framerate and amount of pop-in.

Yeah, I mean, for current-gen hardware, this game runs exceptionally well. It's just a shame that pop-in is still an issue plaguing large and detailed open-world games.

Good to know that I'm not the only one who notices.

Septimius

For anyone interested, I was able to get the random event that I died during to respawn after I went back a few days later.

I figured random events are random, and placed at a suitable location, but otherwise isn't set in stone.

Yeah, I mean, for current-gen hardware, this game runs exceptionally well. It's just a shame that pop-in is still an issue plaguing large and detailed open-world games.

Good to know that I'm not the only one who notices.

It's not going to go anywhere, either. It's just the sign that the game is really pushing performance. You can't load the entire world up into memory, so when you go too fast, or you move in some way the game isn't able to predict and preload textures for, they'll always be around. With better tech like SSDs, it might pop-in sooner, but the fact is that you shouldn't be able to load the entire game into memory, as the game wouldn't really utilize the hardware.

In all fairness, it sounds like it's a bad issue with some. I get some sign-posts that pop-in when I race as fast as I can. Is that the problem we're talking about?

Randdalf

hey guys, where is the best place to make a last stand?

Finished the game. Now I want to see how long I can hold against a 5 star wanted level.

No tops of buildings where police cant get to. That seems super boring as helis will be the only thing I fight.

It's fairly easy to do if you just jump on the back of train, but you'll mainly be shooting down helicopters still.

Alpende

I can't pick up one
submarine
piece because I can't get so low on the sea bed near the plane's wing! I am loosing my mind trying to pick it up!

You don't have to pick them up with the submarine. You can just swim over them. I don't know if you automatically get scuba gear though so you might drown :p

Oni Jazar

Should I not be playing this game on Free Aim or do I just suck? I had a rampage mission that took me a ton of tries to finish successfully. I really prefer free aim to lock on and wish the game was designed for that first.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
lol the first time I played the beginning, that scene that pans the city in the beginning had pop in DURING THE WHOLE THING.

I was like "Is this shit intentional?" It was if the world was building in front of my eyes.

The second time I played the beginning it worked properly.

Mr Swine

Banned
Are you sure it's 2.0 or do you know its read speed? I think the DVD is faster than USB 2.0.

The DVD stops after a minute or so (after loading screens).

I have a 75mb/s read USB and I can't really see a difference. The game might run better overall but it's only noticable after several hours of gameplay.

It says USB 2.0, the memory is called Kingston 32GB Datatraveler. Sorry, but I thought it was a Sandisc USB

Anyone else had an issue where the same 4 or 5 cars keep spawning and only those 4 or 5? I've got two saves, and both are having this issue tonight. I've tried changing vehicle and flying. The only thing I haven't done is a mission. I've also tried reloading the game and resetting the PS3.

Anyone got a solution? Am I stuck like this?

rallaren

It says USB 2.0, the memory is called Kingston 32GB Datatraveler. Sorry, but I thought it was a Sandisc USB
Well, the recommendation by Rockstar is a USB stick with atleast 15mb/s read speed. USB 2.0 does not go over 10mb/s from what I've seen looking up all kinds.

But you'll just have to play and see. All data is throttled to whatever anyway.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, why the hell does the icon for the second ATV challenge disappear everytime I come close? People are standing around doing nothing and I can't start the race.

Edit: Actually, everything disappears as soon as I'm close to the race. Mission icons, property icons... wtf

Marleyman

Banned
I think, for those saying the radio station songs are underwhelming, you need to understand that this isn't period piece kind of game like SA, Vice City. I personally enjoy the songs but to each his own. I never thought I would enjoy Party All the Time by Eddie Murphy and Heartbeat by Don Johnson ever again..damn you Rockstar.

What's the quickest way to get to the parachute jumps in the city? They're all on top of skyscrapers and I have no access to a helicopter to reach them, as far as I know, unless I want to spend a crazy amount on one through a website.

sunnz

I think, for those saying the radio station songs are underwhelming, you need to understand that this isn't period piece kind of game like SA, Vice City. I personally enjoy the songs but to each his own. I never thought I would enjoy Party All the Time by Eddie Murphy and Heartbeat by Don Johnson ever again..damn you Rockstar.

That is true.

This era, music really isn't all that great, from all genres.

Why I love Mafia 2 music too.

What's the quickest way to get to the parachute jumps in the city? They're all on top of skyscrapers and I have no access to a helicopter to reach them, as far as I know, unless I want to spend a crazy amount on one through a website.

Go to one you've previously completed and snipe the guy in the chopper and steal it. If you get close with a gun he will just take off.

MJLord

Complete the story and money is no issue.

wizzbang

Banned
Does anyone know hte relevance of the map with the ufo, egg, jetpack on it at the top of the mountain? It's like it's trying to show me how to find secrets but I don't know how

antitrop

They should've used RDR's drunk mode for this, then add in the occasional bar fight when you go out drinking with someone.
I switched over to Trevor one time and he was drinking in an alley. Wobbling to his truck, after about 1 block he got tagged by a cop for drunk driving, but I managed to lose the heat.

Fjordson

Yeah, chasing those soundtracks is a fool's game. A bunch of iconic songs that have had decades to become iconic and ingrained in pop culture (especially with Vice City). Impossible to replicate that in what is supposed to be a present-day game.

I think V's soundtrack is damn good, but I really like electronic music, hip-hop and reggae, so that's like 4-5 stations right there. And I love the soul and funk stations. I can understand why fans of other genres (like metal) may find the radio lacking.

Any tips to get inside Fort Zancudo? I can't seem to find an obvious entrance.

I believe that you can drive through the front door... It's on the northern side. Shortly after driving through that tunnel, there is a road that forks to the right (if you're driving north on the interstate). Bang a right, and then you can drive through.

Marleyman

Banned
I think V's soundtrack is damn good, but I really like electronic music, hip-hop and reggae, so that's like 4-5 stations right there. And I love the soul and funk stations. I can understand why fans of other genres (like metal) may find the radio lacking.

I like EDM but the tracks I don't like. I would have loved more Eric Prydz, David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Tiesto maybe.

If its the chick I'm thinking of, she ended up dying on me (right before we got to the destination, too). I was incredibly bummed. The I took a pic with her.

0_0.jpg

Same thing happened to me. RIGHT before we got to the destination. SO I thought maybe it was planned, but I dunno.

antitrop

I believe that you can drive through the front door... It's on the northern side. Shortly after driving through that tunnel, there is a road that forks to the right (if you're driving north on the interstate). Bang a right, and then you can drive through.

Exactly. It's very, very easy. Instant 4-star wanted level. That's how I stole the helicopter, I just drove right through the front gate and swerved around the airstrip until I made my way to the helicopter, then just got in and flew out.

Same thing happened to me. RIGHT before we got to the destination. SO I thought maybe it was planned, but I dunno.
I can confirm you can save her and she joins your crew for heists as a driver.

I have been wanting to mess around with the gangs, I know the Ballas are kind of where Franklin's house is but does anyone have a map of where the gang territory is for all of them?

Loomba

I've installed the 'install' disk to the HDD, and I installed the 'play' disk to my USB.

Is there a preferred place to put the save files or doesn't it matter much?

Fjordson

I've installed the 'install' disk to the HDD, and I installed the 'play' disk to my USB.

Is there a preferred place to put the save files or doesn't it matter much?
Think save files are okay anywhere. I have four saves on the HDD with the game installed like what you did and it's been fine.

Tawpgun

I wish there was some kind of enhanced public transit system other than cabs. Would allow you to fast travel through the area

antitrop

I wish there was some kind of enhanced public transit system other than cabs. Would allow you to fast travel through the area
It could be purposefully done to give you a bit of an excuse to switch between the characters more often.

Sometimes I will switch characters and do something else, just because I don't feel like travelling as far as the character I'm currently playing as may need to travel.

But you're right.

antitrop

Does anyone else find Franklin to be a completely boring character?

"Gotta get this paper, dog"

"I'm trying to get this paper"

So far, it seems like his only motivation is money, and once Michael and Trevor come in, he's just like a lackey who goes on missions cause he "gotta get that paper". He's just kinda "there".
2/3 of the way through the story, this seems like a fairly accurate assessment of Franklin to me. He's by far the weakest character of the three, and I'm doubting that he has any kind of significant "character moment" by the end of the plot.

I wouldn't say he's boring, but he definitely doesn't live up to his potential. Once the first few hours of the game are over, Franklin's importance in the plot becomes diminished. This is Michael and Trevor's story, and Franklin gets caught up in it.

Top Bottom