• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

What exactly do you find so overwhelmingly "mean spirited, ugly, loud, and vulgar" about it?

Everything? I'm not saying it necessarily bothers me to the point I'd criticize the game for it, but every single character is a different shade of asshole. Way more than before. Main characters, side characters, friends, enemies, random people, radio personalities, TV personalities, politicians, cops, criminals, animals, everything. They've pushed their own satire tropes as far as they can go without breaking the 4th wall.

deim0s

>Spend 2 million on a attack helicopter
>Be really excited about your purchase
>Realise how screwed up piloting is
>Thing is pretty much useless

God damnit. I don't know if it can be fixed in a patch or what, but what a mess.

You'll get a hang of it.

I'm not saying it's shit or not. It works fine and got it down in a minute.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
>Spend 2 million on a attack helicopter
>Be really excited about your purchase
>Realise how screwed up piloting is
>Thing is pretty much useless

God damnit. I don't know if it can be fixed in a patch or what, but what a mess.

Do you still get to keep your helicopter you bought after you crash it? I asked this before and never got a response. I'd really like to know if buying planes and helicopters is going to be a waste of money and a one time use or not.

I just died while doing that one, I'll have to see if I can redo it.

Now that you mention it, does anyone know if some of those random events do repeat? I did this one, and the one with that CEO guy's bike (where he gives you $100.000 in stocks), successfully, but I got killed during that random event where bikers tried to kidnap some girl on the Vinewood hills. I saved her, and while I was driving her to her home, more bikers came and killed me. Never saw that random event again :(

rallaren

So I just ran into a cougar for the first time. Really R*? I about shit my pants.

Dat muscle memory. This stuff is so good
I had similar experience. The second time I was quick on the guns. "Muscle memory" - I Iearned something new today! Thank you.

This game is so horribly good for your own music btw. Why can't I use a real radio station in the game? Licencing issues/costs?

Is there anything salvageable from (memorable Trevor mission spoilers) the
plane Trevor jumps out of? I dove down there and only found weapons/armor.

Zeroxysm

Now that you mention it, does anyone know if some of those random events do repeat? I did this one, and the one with that CEO guy's bike (where he gives you $100.000 in stocks), successfully, but I got killed during that random event where bikers tried to kidnap some girl on the Vinewood hills. I saved her, and while I was driving her to her home, more bikers came and killed me. Never saw that random event again :(

I think I remember where the airport guy one spawns so I'll go check now and see if it comes back or not.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I got killed the first time trying to rescue that construction worker with the bulldozer, second time he got killed. Did it the third time. They just take some time to pop up again, it's really, well, random.
Is it possible to do Resident Evil style 180 turns? I vaguely remember a tutorial telling me how to but I've forgotten.
You can lock-on to enemies behind you with R3 and L2 I think...?
Dem bloated controls.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Everything? I'm not saying it necessarily bothers me to the point I'd criticize the game for it, but every single character is a different shade of asshole. Way more than before. Main characters, side characters, friends, enemies, random people, radio personalities, TV personalities, politicians, cops, criminals, animals, everything. They've pushed their own satire tropes as far as they can go without breaking the 4th wall.

I haven't quite finished the story yet, but Franklin seems to be pretty level headed and down to earth, as far as murderous criminals go. His only real flaw, by his own admission, is he can't say no when money is involved.

Also? Michael is (so far) a bit of a selfish weasal.

Yeah, I got killed the first time trying to rescue that construction worker with the bulldozer, second time he got killed. Did it the third time. They just take some time to pop up again, it's really, well, random.

You can lock-on to enemies behind you with R3 and L2 I think...?
Dem bloated controls.
Good to hear, thanks! WIll have to drive a bit more around Vinewood Hills to see if that random event will "spawn" again. Just have to remember with which character I triggered it the first time (it depends on your character, does it? Like Trevor with his hitchhikers).

newsguy

When you complete all the random missions (stats say I've done 9 out of 14) will they keep popping up anyway? Like, will I still run across the occasional purse thief? I just love randomly coming across minor events when I'm driving around.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
When you complete all the random missions (stats say I've done 9 out of 14) will they keep popping up anyway? Like, will I still run across the occasional purse thief? I just love randomly coming across minor events when I'm driving around.

Yes. Apparently you only need to complete 14 unique ones out of a total of
, but they'll carry on appearing (like RDR's did).

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that it's difficult for big open-world games to tell a tight narrative, and V's plot isn't immune to wandering, but it seems like the other stuff is just down to his personal taste. I mean I can't even imagine the number of times I've read the phrase "GTA IV was too serious" over the past few years. Different strokes for different folks.

I loved IV and Red Dead for the reasons he mentioned, but other people didn't. And at the same time, I can appreciate V for what it's trying to do.

I'm with you about that Grantland article. It seems like many of these recent opinion pieces are very introspective and read like the person is dealing with (or has dealt with) a lot of other things at the same time as trying to stomach such a ridiculous, over-the-top parody of reality. The result is that they seemingly can't quite enjoy it to the extent that others are able to.

Honestly, if I find a piece of entertainment too "juvenile" or even "mean" for my tastes, I will simply turn it off. All these bleeding hearts "trying to love" games but just can't because "serious reasons" are getting rather tiresome as of late, and are only filling the air because of massive titles that always succeed in stirring things up.

And before anyone comes back at me with that "but it's okay to enjoy problematic media" retort, please realise that this is saying very little. At the heart of GTA is a deeply troubled, downright sadistic formula that is secretly (or is it blatantly?) poking fun at our equally troubled souls and the industry at large, while laughing all the way to the bank.

I for one find that pretty amusing in itself, but there's no point in dwelling on it too long if it upsets you. Let's all just get back to being assholes in a fictional world full of assholes. No one needs to feel bad and no one needs to judge.

Alpende

Is it possible to do Resident Evil style 180 turns? I vaguely remember a tutorial telling me how to but I've forgotten.

You press the right stick to look behind you and then you press left trigger ( I don't know what that is for PS3) to lock on. Then he turns around.

sunnz

Where can I find heli's?

Airport and the military airport, no heli's.

I have flown the one you get during that mission
were you kidnap that guy
and I actually really like the flying for that heli.

Where can I find heli's?

Airport and the military airport, no heli's.

I have flown the one you get during that mission
were you kidnap that guy
and I actually really like the flying for that plane.

There's an emergency hospital in Los Santos near the tow-truck mission area. You can climb on top of the building and hope there's a helicopter up there.

meep!

Neo Member
This world is so amazing. Theres so much things to see, its like almost nothing feels like filler content in terms of areas, buildings, landmarks and so on. I haven't finished the game but getting close, but it feels like alot of it has not been used in the game, I really hope the online going to have missions all over the map since there are so many cool places I want to do missions at!

The GTAs all just boil down to looking at that damn mini map for 90% of the game. I just wish they'd put arrows for where to turn on the actual street, the way Saint's Row does, so I"m not just staring at a mini map all the time.

red731

I can't pick up one
submarine
piece because I can't get so low on the sea bed near the plane's wing! I am loosing my mind trying to pick it up!

You know, for all the complaints I've heard about issues with object pop-in on the PSN digital version, the PS3 retail version still has some definite object/texture pop-in.

No GTA is ever without it's fair share of pop-in (which bothers me more than framerate dips ever could).

I wonder if that could be a thing of the past with next-gen?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Are their any specific scuba diving activities or is it just basically related to self exploration, submarine parts and nuclear waste ? Also, anywhere to get a suit so you can dive in anywhere or is it mostly from exiting the sub/dingy ?

Are their any specific scuba diving activities or is it just basically related to self exploration, submarine parts and nuclear waste ? Also, anywhere to get a suit so you can dive in anywhere or is it mostly from exiting the sub/dingy ?

This I would also like to know.

Mr Swine

Banned
So I bought a 32GB USB 2.0 Sandisc Stick, formatted it and got no performance warning at all (yay). Installed the play DVD (disc 2) but how do I know if its working while playing? It doesn't have a light on it, is there a way to start it through the USB with the disc inside?

Mikey Jr.

hey guys, where is the best place to make a last stand?

Finished the game. Now I want to see how long I can hold against a 5 star wanted level.

No tops of buildings where police cant get to. That seems super boring as helis will be the only thing I fight.

SirNinja

The GTAs all just boil down to looking at that damn mini map for 90% of the game.

90%? LOL, even 9% is hilariously inaccurate. I suffer from short-term memory loss, and I only ever need to make occasional glimpses at the thing. A quick look will tell you exactly where to make the next 2-3 turns before needing to look again.

You know, for all the complaints I've heard about issues with object pop-in on the PSN digital version, the PS3 retail version still has some definite object/texture pop-in.

The PSN version is actually really good, depending on what PS3 model you have. I'm running it on the "fat" 80GB PS3 (the one bundled with MGS4, and one of the last models to have hardware backward-compatibility with PS2 games), and it's virtually identical to the retail version in both framerate and amount of pop-in.

wizzbang

Banned
Guys, there's some secret or weird thing in the game I don't get and I wanna know what it is.

What's with the random trucker / CB radio randomness which happens out in the wildereness? Normally I can't hear what's being said but I just heard one say "stop botherin me" - over the top of the song I was listening to - in Trevors pickup near the base of Mt Chilead - what's the deal? Anyone know what this is?

Zeroxysm

Finished the game. Now I want to see how long I can hold against a 5 star wanted level.

No tops of buildings where police cant get to. That seems super boring as helis will be the only thing I fight.

http://imgur.com/a/6NYpF

If not that spot, you could try the spot where you
hijack the trucks for the Union job

rallaren

So I bought a 32GB USB 2.0 Sandisc Stick, formatted it and got no performance warning at all (yay). Installed the play DVD (disc 2) but how do I know if its working while playing? It doesn't have a light on it, is there a way to start it through the USB with the disc inside?
Are you sure it's 2.0 or do you know its read speed? I think the DVD is faster than USB 2.0.

The DVD stops after a minute or so (after loading screens).

I have a 75mb/s read USB and I can't really see a difference. The game might run better overall but it's only noticable after several hours of gameplay.

The Moon Gravity cheat is pretty cool when jumping from a high altitude but other than that it's underwhelming. Skyfall is the best one so far. Too bad there's not custom weapon sets or infinite ammo/health just to mess around with. Hopefully some more will be found.

Septimius

Is that a huge spoiler, or are you saying you want to try and get a 5 star wanted level? I haven't completed the game, and I felt as if something was spoiled with that.

EDIT: ah.. good.

Top Bottom