• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

During combat, we're nearing Hellblade 2 visuals, with WAY more shit happening. Absolutely stunning game.
No, just no, like "what the heck are you smoking" -no.....
That game is for the most part bog standard last gen tech, including the lighting, with mostly mediocre assets and at best moderately detailed geometry. The upscaled swarm tech is nice, the art is spot on, and there were some nice models and material shaders here and there but that's about it.
The non stop action and the top notch scene dressing do a good job upselling what is otherwise just solid AA, though.

Last edited:

DanielG165

Random thought from me, but I man cannot believe how good Halo 5 looks at 4K/60. I impulse bought another One X to replace my sold one (didn’t feel the need for an SX with my PC being my main platform) a few days ago due to wanting an Xbox in the house for my physical disks, and having some save data on there that can’t be moved over to my PC, and I’d always heard how significant of a visual improvement Halo 5 was on it.

It definitely went from looking pretty muddy, to being a genuinely pretty game with crystal clear edges, really nice and picked out details, big and small, and having an overall great image/presentation at 4K, with great lighting as well. Art style aside, I’m thoroughly impressed, late as I am to the party with said improvements lol. Despite it being last gen hardware, I think the One X is still a mighty system in everything but the CPU and hard drive.

GymWolf

Gold Member
No, just no, like "what the heck are you smoking" -no.....
That game is for the most part bog standard last gen tech, including the lighting, with mostly mediocre assets and at best moderately detailed geometry. The upscaled swarm tech is nice, the art is spot on, and there were some nice models and material shaders here and there but that's about it.
The non stop action and the top notch scene dressing do a good job upselling what is otherwise just solid AA, though.
Yep, I have no idea what some people are talking about.

I was more impressed by robocop if we talk about AA tbh.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Best graphics are best graphics no matter the scale, its good to take that into account, but best graphics are simply best graphics. Some of the best looking games out today in no particular order are…

Horizon Burning Shores
The Order 1886
Wukong
TLOU 2 Remastered
Hellblade 2
Spiderman 2
Alan Wake 2
RDR2
Star Wars Outlaws
Star Wars Survivor
Cyberpunk 2077 (PC)

Feel free to add more…
Callisto, Ratchet, Demon Souls, Flight Simulator, Space Marine 2, Starfield, FF16.
Is Concord the best looking multiplayer game?
BF2042

SlimySnake

Random thought from me, but I man cannot believe how good Halo 5 looks at 4K/60. I impulse bought another One X to replace my sold one (didn’t feel the need for an SX with my PC being my main platform) a few days ago due to wanting an Xbox in the house for my physical disks, and having some save data on there that can’t be moved over to my PC, and I’d always heard how significant of a visual improvement Halo 5 was on it.

It definitely went from looking pretty muddy, to being a genuinely pretty game with crystal clear edges, really nice and picked out details, big and small, and having an overall great image/presentation at 4K, with great lighting as well. Art style aside, I’m thoroughly impressed, late as I am to the party with said improvements lol. Despite it being last gen hardware, I think the One X is still a mighty system in everything but the CPU and hard drive.
Never played it in 4k, but man the xbox series s version looked rough. they said it was running at 900p but i call bullshit, it felt like 720p or sub 720p in any semi-open world level.

really good art direction and lighting in some levels but it almost felt like a cross gen title to me in 2015. i dont think anyone remembers that it came out the same year as witcher 3, the order, ryse of tomb raider and battlefront. battlefront looked so much better it wasnt even close.

One thing i will say is that while Halo Infinite did feel like a proper xbox one/ps4 gen title with way better tech, it lacked the art direction and just felt bland in comparison despite better looking foliage, textures and geometry.

DanielG165

Never played it in 4k, but man the xbox series s version looked rough. they said it was running at 900p but i call bullshit, it felt like 720p or sub 720p in any semi-open world level.

really good art direction and lighting in some levels but it almost felt like a cross gen title to me in 2015. i dont think anyone remembers that it came out the same year as witcher 3, the order, ryse of tomb raider and battlefront. battlefront looked so much better it wasnt even close.

One thing i will say is that while Halo Infinite did feel like a proper xbox one/ps4 gen title with way better tech, it lacked the art direction and just felt bland in comparison despite better looking foliage, textures and geometry.
It definitely looks significantly better on the One X, almost to the point of me thinking it’s on entirely different hardware from the regular One. Halo 5 looked rough on my VCR One, muddy textures and low resolution being the two most egregious aspects. All of that is gone on the One X, which was quite a nice surprise!

I would highly recommending watching some GTA4 to GTA5 comparisons to see just how much was lost. And how even RDR2 doesnt have some of those physics and NPC interactions.

Yes, RDR2 does add a lot of other things like having each NPC respond to you but all thats scripted to me and doesnt impress me one bit. In terms of actual interaction with NPCs and the overall world physics its a huge downgrade. Also, im pretty sure having every NPC speak and have dialogue responses to Arthur is probably the reason St. Denis was so sparse in comparison to even AC Origins.

Water is the only they have substantially improved in terms of physics and interactivity but only on PC. Console versions had fairly simple water on par with other ubisoft and sony efforts. Maybe slightly better? But Watch Dogs, AC Odyssey HFW all have their own strengths in comparison to the console version water of RDR2.

Red Dead 2 is my GOTG both in terms of graphics and gameplay/story/everything. But if we are trying to shit on GoT for having empty open worlds with no real physics like we had back in the Far Cry 2 days or what we see in Zelda ToTK and even BOTW then surely we cant be ok fire effects that last for a few seconds and dont really do much and having completely static cabins in a game about cowboys shooting up entire towns and villages.

Exactly RDR2 doesn't feel all that interactive to me
Man, for how shitty a game SW Outlaws is, the visuals are amazing, some scenes and some specific parts of a scenes look so good and a bit to the realistic side and it's very impressive being an open world.

This is my shot, it's at a shitty 4K Balanced with ray tracing mixed between medium and high, but it impressed me so. Not so much the whole scene, but more the left side with the tree and branches and stuff, that shit looks realistic, how the lighting interacts with the branches and leaves, the accuracy between the soft and sharp shadows, the colours.

IMO this proves that if you're going for a realistic or film like take, the lighting and colour are absolute.

That's why RT gi, path tracing, or Lumen is so important even in indoor areas or with static time of day. Theres a level of lighting accuracy that can't be achieved by even the best devs doing baked lighting. As beautiful as LoU2 is, imagine it with RT gi ....it would be insane ..

The SW Outlaws pics that are being posted on high end PC's have all been stunning ...even on Series X (i bought Ubi+ for a month) the lighting 'can' look great at times, sadly the SX doesnt have the grunt to present a clean image ...if this game gets a Pro patch it'll be one of the first games I'll want to check out again.

SlimySnake

Yeah, star wars truly shines in indoor areas. I dont know if its due to RTGI or just plain great lighting mixed with great art direction and asset quality, but i love the look of the game's interiors. might even be better than Jedi Survivor.

lRxUigq.gif

i1cUjsU.gif

TI5jUhI.gif

SlimySnake

Going back to the scale discussion for a bit since i am playing outlaws right now and just being impressed over and over again even 20 hours in. Outlaws is a great example of how open world games can completely change their look depending on the time of day. I love Wukong, tlou2, and other linear games, but there is just something else about going through an open world and having weather or time of day change its lighting. Sometimes you look into the distance and realize, wait, i was just there. It's that dream Bethesda tried to sell all those years ago with Skyrim ( you see that mountain, you can go there!) but its so much more impressive nowadays with incredible draw distances, dynamic weather, gorgeous reflections and volumetric effects, and far better cinematography than we had back in the PS360 days.

It's always hard to choose a linear game over an open world games with half a dozen biomes and a large variety of indoor areas, so I dont blame anyone for picking the order over batman ak, or tlou2 over cyberpunk or callisto over Horizon FW, but i personally put a lot of stock on just how many times a game wows me. and games like horizon fw, rdr2 and avatar just consistently wowed me.

Yeah ...Halo 5 was one of the games I enjoyed seeing the most on One X when it got bumped to native 4k. Halo Infinite looks nice but is SO empty and everything looks the same. There's two identical looking typed of environs, the open world and the forerunner below ground stuff ...i think Infinite has to be one of the most disappointing games of all time ...games reviewers had to have been on the payroll for that one!

Bombolone

Gold Member
Yeah, star wars truly shines in indoor areas. I dont know if its due to RTGI or just plain great lighting mixed with great art direction and asset quality, but i love the look of the game's interiors. might even be better than Jedi Survivor.

lRxUigq.gif

i1cUjsU.gif

TI5jUhI.gif

That does really look nice. I hate that the animations take me out of it though. (For these particular gifs. I haven't played the game)

Going back to the scale discussion for a bit since i am playing outlaws right now and just being impressed over and over again even 20 hours in. Outlaws is a great example of how open world games can completely change their look depending on the time of day. I love Wukong, tlou2, and other linear games, but there is just something else about going through an open world and having weather or time of day change its lighting. Sometimes you look into the distance and realize, wait, i was just there. It's that dream Bethesda tried to sell all those years ago with Skyrim ( you see that mountain, you can go there!) but its so much more impressive nowadays with incredible draw distances, dynamic weather, gorgeous reflections and volumetric effects, and far better cinematography than we had back in the PS360 days.

It's always hard to choose a linear game over an open world games with half a dozen biomes and a large variety of indoor areas, so I dont blame anyone for picking the order over batman ak, or tlou2 over cyberpunk or callisto over Horizon FW, but i personally put a lot of stock on just how many times a game wows me. and games like horizon fw, rdr2 and avatar just consistently wowed me.

It is the only reason I have any interest in AC Shadows. I might pick it up (when it's dirt cheap). The GI, dynamic weather, lighting systems. The tech.

Yeah BF2042 looks so good tbh…

I played Halo Infinite back in 2021, Max settings at 4K/120 on a LG C1 with VRR and it was sooo smooth and almost CGI like, the perfect image quality with perfect framerate and max fidelity actually dropped my jaw…

EDIT: Im talking about multiplayer in Halo Infinite,but Campaign looks good also in certain parts…

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I played infinite maxed out on pc and i thought it was mediocre tbh.

My favourite places in outlaws were the empire space stations and mos easley, everything else was too uneven and the whole facade crumble when you have to interact with any human character.

At least avatar knew its strong points.

Last edited:

JCreasy

I really hope Santa Monica is studying Game Science’s success with virtualized micro geometry (Nanite) in Black Myth. The density of detail is spectacular.

SlimySnake

I really hope Santa Monica is studying Game Science’s success with virtualized micro geometry (Nanite) in Black Myth. The density of detail is spectacular.
I hope they do one better because as good as wukong looks, there are A LOT of really poor looking textures. i would say around 20% of the textures look muddy as fuck and not on par with the rest of the game.

Yeah BF2042 looks so good tbh…

I played Halo Infinite back in 2021, Max settings at 4K/120 on a LG C1 with VRR and it was sooo smooth and almost CGI like, the perfect image quality with perfect framerate and max fidelity actually dropped my jaw…
Arrested Development GIF

I would honestly give that honor to BF1, maxed out. Absolutely wild how good that game still looks, especially when you’ve got the hardware to properly push it.
BF1 is my favorite shooter of all time and as sterile as BF2042 feels in comparison, i still have to give it the edge. The lighting and textures are just way better.

BF1 is just insanely atmospheric and captures the feel of war better than any game ever made. And it does that in multiplayer modes. I still remember playing operations and ducking for cover in real life even though my character was already lying prone to avoid the hail of gunfire going over my head. the audio design was spectacular. every fucking inch in that game mode was hard fought.

miklonus

I play The First Descendant/TFD on PS5, and I'm truly shocked that The First Descendant was one of the game's that Sony listed on their PS5 Pro presentation video for a graphics and gameplay upgrade. Sony's had two exclusive games release this year, I repeat, this year - Stellar Blade and Concord - and neither one of them was included in the video. And they were PS5-exclusive to boot!
Well we know about Concord's future, or current fate, but TFD aside, I wanna see what they...who the fuck am I kidding? Shift Up released a road map for Stellar Blade and said that it would receive a photo mode, and yet here we are, at the beginning of the final week for September, 2024.........and nothing.
We can't even get a fuckin' photo mode for a T&A game. How am I inquiring about an entire visual semi-overhaul (for PS5 Pro)?
I'd like to see it, her ass could use some more polygons, but I'm bein' real. I'm not lettin' myself down.

DanielG165

I personally wouldn’t go as far as to say CGI-like for Infinite, but there are indeed some moments in the campaign (cutscenes really), that do look quite good, the standout being when Chief first links up with The Weapon.

un7aVgT.jpeg

Infinite when pushed graphically at a high resolution has a nice, clean image. Nothing really special or groundbreaking like what we saw in the now falsely advertised E3 teasers, but clean. Had we actually gotten what 343 showed off, a true next gen Halo Infinite that pushed graphics and tech, then we would’ve had something special.

Halo 4 pushed the 360 to its absolute limit; I’d like to see that happen again in a future Halo title.

Lysandros

But I dont want to turn this into a PS5 pro thread. I am simply pointing out that the power increases have slowed down while the prices have gone up. The PS4 Pro was $399/399 euros and 2.3x faster. The PS5 Pro is $780/899 euros and only 1.45x faster. Double the price for less than half the performance.
Again, PS4 PRO was very far from being "×2.3 faster" than PS4. Just one metric's 115% increase doesn't make the whole system that much faster. Essentially, PS4 PRO's increase over the based model came down to pushing ~75% more pixels on screen using the same performance/settings profile with some outlier uses/cases. And, if you are using the very faulty assessment of equating compute differencial with overall speed for one machine you can at least do the same the same in the case of PS5 PRO for the sake of fairness. 45% isn't the Teraflop increase from from PS5, you should know it at this point.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Again, PS4 PRO was very far from being "×2.3 faster" than PS4. Just one metric's 115% increase doesn't make the whole system that much faster. Essentially, PS4 PRO's increase over the based model came down to pushing ~75% more pixels on screen using the same performance/settings profile with some outlier uses/cases. And, if you are using the very faulty assessment of equating compute differencial with overall speed for one machine you can at least do the same the same in the case of PS5 PRO for the sake of fairness. 45% isn't the Teraflop increase from from PS5, you should know it at this point.
Nah. Most games used 4kcb which was 2x more pixels. Very few games were 1440p. Most games were 4kcb which was 2x plus the gpu cost of the cb reconstruction. It was perfectly in line with the 2.23x increase in gpu power.

We are seeing the same thing here. The gpu is only 1.45x faster and it is literally almost all going into the reconstruction cost. 99% of the games shown so far are using the same performance mode profile that already runs at 60 fps to reconstruct from the game base resolution. This has nothing to do with tflops. Cerny himself said the gpu power increase is 45% and all benchmarks shown so far point to this.

Last edited:

DanielG165

Ragnarok's art direction is severely underrated and I'm hoping against hope they offer RT upgrades on PS5 Pro to hold us over until the next installment comes end of gen.
Unfortunately, if they didn’t already offer such on PC, then I don’t see them doing so on the PS5 Pro, less they want to have weird and unnecessary segmentation. Maybe in a Ragnarok “Remastered” version in 4 years.

DanielG165

lmao Wukong looks a gen ahead
That’s because it literally is lol. Ragnarok is a last gen game.

EDIT: Man the One X is continuing to impress me. The fact that it can hit 4K most of the time in Far Cry 6 with similar settings to the current gen slew, but at 30fps instead of 60 is impressive. This isn’t of course to say that it’s on par with those machines, but to maintain that level of performance in such a densely packed open world game, at a native 4K for a lot of the experience, and the only downside is 30fps since I have an external SSD plugged in is honestly pretty damn nice. I can’t even hear the thing either.

For a last gen machine, it’s a little monster. It feels more like an 8.5 gen system than a mere mid gen upgrade over the standard One. When I had my first One X, and PS4 Pro, the latter was a great machine for sure, but the Xbox definitely felt like it was pushing and outputting significantly more.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
New corey game, by logic, should look even better than wukong, they have a bigger, more experienced team, bigger budget, probably more time in the oven, working only on 2 hardwares, etc.

But we threw logic into the toilette this gen so who knows...
They really need to step up their character rendering and especially faces, they are way too stylized and lacking good skin tech for such a serious game with a realistic artstyle.

Last edited:

Bojji

Can you imagine how good next gen God Of War will look on PS5/PS6?

Ragnarok's art direction is severely underrated and I'm hoping against hope they offer RT upgrades on PS5 Pro to hold us over until the next installment comes end of gen.

Despite using last gen tech only, Ragnarok looks REALLY good. They clearly know where to put high quality assets and textures, they have great animations and amazing art.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Best compliment i can give to ragnarock is that it looks clean and even, not super detailed but at least it looks always decent in any occasion.

And yeah the art design help a bit.

DanielG165

Ragnarok is what I call an efficient looking game. It doesn’t push the boundaries in any way, and hardly looks any better than 2018, outside of slightly improved faces and animations, but there’s excess fat anywhere. All of that’s been trimmed and sculpted to a near obsessive amount, backed really by the strong art design carried over from 2018.

That said, I’ll be expecting A LOT from a proper current or next gen God of War title, which is really what Ragnarok should have been. But, more people got to play as a result of it being a PS4 title, so you give and you take.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Ragnarok is what I call an efficient looking game. It doesn’t push the boundaries in any way, and hardly looks any better than 2018, outside of slightly improved faces and animations, but there’s excess fat anywhere. All of that’s been trimmed and sculpted to a near obsessive amount, backed really by the strong art design carried over from 2018.

That said, I’ll be expecting A LOT from a proper current or next gen God of War title, which is really what Ragnarok should have been. But, more people got to play as a result of it being a PS4 title, so you give and you take.
Nah, Ragnorak is the definition of bloat. So many areas look bad. Svartheleim's open world area is the most blandest generic level ive ever seen. something you would see in a euro trash game made in cheap polish or ukranian studio. The vanaheim open worlds looked ugly as sin. UE3 quality brownish green lighting i hated in the PS3 era and in later Far Cry games. Especially 6. Some of the linear levels looked great, but night time and indoor cave levels in both worlds looked like trash. Dont even get me started on the barren and ugly Alfheim open worlds.

Only the midgard open world in snow looked great. The crater level looked rough as well.

The biggest problem with the game was scale. entirety of ragnorak (the actual event) in the finale is basically a series of small corridors that look underwhelming as fuck. its literally the end of the world and you are playing a linear corridor level. its insane. it made sense in gow 1, 2 and even 3, but come on, it's 2022, you have a console thats literally 40x more powerful in GPU alone than the ps3 and a 100x more powerful than the ps2, and you are relying on narrow corridors? especially since we know you can do open worlds in that engine.

That was also the first game that i noticed looked amazing in gifs but absolutely crap on my screen. there was this gif that looks jaw dropping in both scale and detail, but you go to the same area in the game and you realize just how bland and barren that open world looks thanks to the poor draw distance and level of detail. The gif and youtube trailers hide this and your brain fills in the detail where in fact there is no detail there. its just a fake skybox.

giphy.gif

This other gif also makes you think that the game has amazing foliage density and trees.

INT9_PC_Combat-Montage_Legal-ESRB.gif

But nope. it's the most basic looking area in the game with static foliage with poor shadows and lighting, and just looks bland even when running on an oled tv at native 4k. I played and beat the game 3 times back at launch before NG+ was patched. Then spent another 100 hours playing the valhalla dlc earlier this year. its the most basic looking game ive seen this gen. I was more impressed by guardians of the galaxy, resident evil village and even hogwarts thanks to the impressive level of detail they packed into hogsmead and hogwarts though open world was just as bland as gow.

Last edited:

mrMUR_96

Nah, Ragnorak is the definition of bloat. So many areas look bad. Svartheleim's open world area is the most blandest generic level ive ever seen. something you would see in a euro trash game made in cheap polish or ukranian studio. The vanaheim open worlds looked ugly as sin. UE3 quality brownish green lighting i hated in the PS3 era and in later Far Cry games. Especially 6. Some of the linear levels looked great, but night time and indoor cave levels in both worlds looked like trash. Dont even get me started on the barren and ugly Alfheim open worlds.

Only the midgard open world in snow looked great. The crater level looked rough as well.

The biggest problem with the game was scale. entirety of ragnorak (the actual event) in the finale is basically a series of small corridors that look underwhelming as fuck. its literally the end of the world and you are playing a linear corridor level. its insane. it made sense in gow 1, 2 and even 3, but come on, it's 2022, you have a console thats literally 40x more powerful in GPU alone than the ps3 and a 100x more powerful than the ps2, and you are relying on narrow corridors? especially since we know you can do open worlds in that engine.

That was also the first game that i noticed looked amazing in gifs but absolutely crap on my screen. there was this gif that looks jaw dropping in both scale and detail, but you go to the same area in the game and you realize just how bland and barren that open world looks thanks to the poor draw distance and level of detail. The gif and youtube trailers hide this and your brain fills in the detail where in fact there is no detail there. its just a fake skybox.

giphy.gif

This other gif also makes you think that the game has amazing foliage density and trees.

INT9_PC_Combat-Montage_Legal-ESRB.gif

But nope. it's the most basic looking area in the game with static foliage with poor shadows and lighting, and just looks bland even when running on an oled tv at native 4k. I played and beat the game 3 times back at launch before NG+ was patched. Then spent another 100 hours playing the valhalla dlc earlier this year. its the most basic looking game ive seen this gen. I was more impressed by guardians of the galaxy, resident evil village and even hogwarts thanks to the impressive level of detail they packed into hogsmead and hogwarts though open world was just as bland as gow.
I understood that he meant it was efficient visually, not the game itself being bloated. There's no fancy or advanced tech behind it, but the art design and animation work made it look quite cohesive and generally nice to look at. It's undeniably last gen technically for sure. The game itself is massively disappointing imo. Very bloated game with very underwhelming bosses. The final Odin and Thor boss fight was genuinely embarrassing. I can't believe how small scale and limited that was.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I understood that he meant it was efficient visually, not the game itself being bloated. There's no fancy or advanced tech behind it, but the art design and animation work made it look quite cohesive and generally nice to look at. It's undeniably last gen technically for sure. The game itself is massively disappointing imo. Very bloated game with very underwhelming bosses. The final Odin and Thor boss fight was genuinely embarrassing. I can't believe how small scale and limited that was.
Yeah, i understood what he meant. I just disagree because a lot of the areas didnt look visually cohesive or nice. some did, yes, but a lot of the open worlds especially looked fugly to me.

They were both actually less impressive than the baulder fight in the first 30 min of the first game. I was so let down:(

It was then and there I knew cross gen needed to die ASAP

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Fully prepared for Sony to lay another egg today. They’re gonna use a fucking PS3 game and Horizon Zero Dawn to show off their new $800 machine. All of their first party studios are MIA. What a joke.

As systems get more expensive it will take longer and longer for them to have an install base large enough to cater to exclusively. Cross gen is only going to get worse.
PS3 says hi

It’s just corporate greed. It’s not about not leaving behind last gen or being consumer friendly. They just need every unit sold to recoup their ridiculous bloated development costs

Last edited:
Top Bottom