• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Bojji

From that trailerThey clearly use real time rtgi and reflection maybe even full rt backage and also characters skins looks better than first one

Reflections are low res cube maps (with SSR?).

If someone told me it was from PC version of GOT I would believe him, very small upgrade (based on one trailer).

tiwwnKF.jpeg

Msamy

Reflections are low res cube maps (with SSR?).

If someone told me it was from PC version of GOT I would believe him, very small upgrade (based on one trailer).

tiwwnKF.jpeg
Maybe you are right but lighting is clearly rt and for me reflection not ssr either maybe use same method as gow ragnorok rt reflection in ps5 that it's developers mentioned in some interview

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Looks better than the first game but it's nowhere near the leap I expected. Art style doing all of the heavy lifting.
Ghost of Tsushima was the game where I realized how much good art style/direction matters. Ghost of Yotei may not have the highest visual fidelity of all time, but I prefer it above the rest in terms of presentation due to the art direction.

Msamy

2021.03.25-19.22.07.png

Please tell me how sushi2 is a generational leap over fucking days gone.
Compare it to the most upcoming current gen game with close settings which is shadows and you will see how much it looks better than shadows.

Last edited:

Bojji

Maybe you are right but lighting is clearly rt and for me reflection not ssr either maybe use same method as gow ragnorok rt reflection in ps5 that it's developers mentioned in some interview

GOW used cube maps combined with some RT (hardware or software, IDK) in few places in GOW, this is just plain - ugly low res cube map. Looks like shit.

Can't say anything about RTGI or RTAO, I have no idea if this game show any signs of it.

Btw I'm just gonna bring days gone on the table again, ground textures

KFYT4SW.jpg

I'm sorry, you can have pixar level of rtx, but you also must upgrade your fucking assets, one thing can't cover for both.

Days Gone looks really good, even on PS5. Looks like sucker punch forgot that they have 13GB of RAM now for textures, lol. GoT looks really good overall but that's mostly thanks to art, assets and textures were low quality - looks like a small jump for the sequel.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Compare it to the most upcoming current gen game with close settings which is shadows and you will see how much it looks better than shadows.
Ok, pretty shadows, no offese, but who gives a damn? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

As you reading in this very topic, majority of people are disappointed, slightly more accurate shadows are not gonna change that.

A game like days gone should look nowhere near a full nextgen project, it sure as hell doesn't look nowhere near wukong, and that one has some absolutely gigantic areas without loadings, the open world excuse is not that good anymore, at least this is what i was told by the experts.

This is sp2 all over again, some imprevements, better lights and shadows, old gen assets and characters.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
As someone who thought GoT was overrated from a visuals standpoint, this is probably the most impressive looking PS5 game I've seen.

What they're doing with shadows, bounced lighting/RTGI and depth of field is nothing short of impressive. SP already had the art down, now it looks like they are allowing the tech to catch up.

Notice no trace of shadow aliasing below and look at the shades of yellow from her clothing bouncing back on her face. This is stunning. M Musilla please provide gifs of this scene and one for right after showing the wolf paws as it's walking through forest.

dpLFOtF.jpeg

GymWolf

Gold Member
It certainly looks better already but the film-esque letterboxing they used is not helping. We should wait for a proper vertical slice for the micro stuff.
I think that even if i'm too negative, youtube is not the right source to judge microdetails, we have to wait to play the damn game on our consoles.

Msamy

As someone who thought GoT was overrated from a visuals standpoint, this is probably the most impressive looking PS5 game I've seen.

What they're doing with shadows, bounced lighting/RTGI and depth of field is nothing short of impressive. SP already had the art down, now it looks like they are allowing the tech to catch up.

Notice no trace of shadow aliasing below and look at the shades of yellow from her clothing bouncing back on her face. This is stunning. M Musilla please provide gifs of this scene and one for right after showing the wolf paws as it's walking through forest.

dpLFOtF.jpeg
I have many opposite opinions with you in the past, but I am 100% with you on this one, this trailer is amazing

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Okay Mr Astro bot has bad physics :messenger_neutral:
Never said that it has bad physics, but ok mr gta5 was not a regression compared to gta4 :messenger_neutral:

:messenger_blowing_kiss: :messenger_blowing_kiss:

let's be happy that sony actually fucking showed something.

Maybe the new protagonist is not gonna be a dull ass like jin :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
I think that even if i'm too negative, youtube is not the right source to judge microdetails, we have to wait to play the damn game on our consoles.
True, that's the absolute best choice. Also, it must be the strong compression as well but the framerate seems kinda low. This trailer was encoded strangely.

mrqs

Most game studios should switch to Unreal 5. Or they should've used Decima or something.

InFamous Second Son was one of the most striking games of the PS4 launch window, it still looks dope to this day.

I'm still hopeful for Naughty Dog / Santa Monica's Cory game, but damn, what a shame.

Bojji

I think RTGI needs to be confirmed first by someone who knows his shit (dev, DF?) before we talk that it's in the game (personally I have no idea).

GymWolf

Gold Member
True, that's the absolute best choice. Also, it must be the strong compression as well but the framerate seems kinda low. This trailer was encoded strangely.
But then again, if we can't discuss anything until the game is out, the topic would be dead.

And in the past we pretty much nailed everything, from sp2 being nothing much to wukong being promising so...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Most game studios should switch to Unreal 5. Or they should've used Decima or something.

InFamous Second Son was one of the most striking games of the PS4 launch window, it still looks dope to this day.

I'm still hopeful for Naughty Dog / Santa Monica's Cory game, but damn, what a shame.
Don't forget bend and bluepoint, if bend didn't bleeded all the talent like slimy said, they are gonna surpass both insomniac and sucker punch in a single sweep, a man can hope.

They are probably using ue5 since their last game was on ue4.

Last edited:

Msamy

I think RTGI needs to be confirmed first by someone who knows his shit (dev, DF?) before we talk that it's in the game (personally I have no idea).
100% sure they are using it and other rt features , in coming days in DF analysis they will confirm that.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

I mean, they're definitely simulating bounced lighting (look at the leaves color bouncing on the horse) all over the place to the point where I find it hard to see how it's anything other than real time system,. But yeah, we'll wait for confirmation.

tanLG6Y.jpeg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I finally watched in 4K. This game is going to look stunning in motion on TV.

This will be a looker.

Also, this was captured on the PS5, not even the PRO. Expecting even better on PRO

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GoT confirms my suspicions about sony studios just kind of phoning in this gen. It looks like a HZD to HFW and spiderman 1 to spiderman 2 esque leap. No UE5 caliber leap here.

Pros
- Great draw distance. finally.
- Gorgeous snow effects
- Lots of horses
- Decent fur effects on horses and wolves
- same great cinematography

Cons
- Same plastic character models. i swear Delsin in Infamous Second son had better face shaders
- Fairly similar lighting to the first
- Same janky animations
- Same cartoony art style.
- same last gen esque NPC models
- same last gen geometry

Sony studios shouldve adopted UE5. They have been clearly left behind. This wasnt just Insomniac being insomniac or ND phoning in the remake or astrobot devs not giving a shit about graphics. this is clearly the standard to expect from sony this gen.

Bojji

I mean, they're definitely simulating bounced lighting (look at the leaves color bouncing on the horse) all over the place to the point where I find it hard to see how it's anything other than real time system,. But yeah, we'll wait for confirmation.

tanLG6Y.jpeg

It could be it, yeah. I can tell you everything about reflections quality in games but when it comes to GI sometimes I can't fucking tell (the best way is to play game and compare).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

2021.03.25-19.22.07.png

Please tell me how sushi2 is a generational leap over fucking days gone.
This is Delsin from Sucker Punch's first game 10 whole years ago.

tumblr_mwkqoyhma81r8vjbro3_400.gifv
d964dma-f8f9a6a9-bdf2-45bd-9fcd-e5ad24b88dbf.gif

mrqs

Sony studios shouldve adopted UE5. They have been clearly left behind. This wasnt just Insomniac being insomniac or ND phoning in the remake or astrobot devs not giving a shit about graphics. this is clearly the standard to expect from sony this gen.

Hard to read, but it’s true. Hopefully, Microsoft and third-party developers will fortunately continue to push the boundaries. It’s strange to think that the most striking games of this generation won’t most likely be from PlayStation’s first-party studios.

GoT confirms my suspicions about sony studios just kind of phoning in this gen. It looks like a HZD to HFW and spiderman 1 to spiderman 2 esque leap. No UE5 caliber leap here.

Pros
- Great draw distance. finally.
- Gorgeous snow effects
- Lots of horses
- Decent fur effects on horses and wolves
- same great cinematography

Cons
- Same plastic character models. i swear Delsin in Infamous Second son had better face shaders
- Fairly similar lighting to the first
- Same janky animations
- Same cartoony art style.
- same last gen esque NPC models
- same last gen geometry

Decent leap, but no UE5. I think that sums up Sony's efforts so far this gen very well and further proves it's all about RTGI this time around, any other improvements are an afterthought this generation.

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is Delsin from Sucker Punch's first game 10 whole years ago.

tumblr_mwkqoyhma81r8vjbro3_400.gifv
d964dma-f8f9a6a9-bdf2-45bd-9fcd-e5ad24b88dbf.gif
497715.jpg

And it clearly looks worse than deacon in that pic, and days gone is a much larger game with a way larger cast of characters.

I was at least expecting metahuman level of characters in a fully nextgen game from a first party sony, especially after hfw used them almost 3 years ago in a damn crossgen game, we should have even better stuff than that, don't you think?

And it's not just the characters, the overall texture work is just not enough of a jump, i know you care more about rtx stuff, but look at it from the point of view of people with different priorities when it comes to graphic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom