• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

tumblr_njwfufYTl51rafdwyo2_540.jpg

tumblr_njwfufYTl51rafdwyo1_540.jpg

2spooky

NEXT UP ON UTBAHC: DID ALIENS WRITE THE CONSTITUTION? CRAWDADS IN TIARAS! AND FLORIDA: THE SHOW
I'd watch Florida: The Show. Got me again, Used To Be About History Channel!

STANISNOTWHATHESEEMS

Next episode scheduled for the middle of March?

"Not What He Seems"

Tizoc

How is this a kid's show again?
Nice shoutout to Freddy in this ep.
Looking forward to the next one, just HATE how the release schedule is...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Great episode, I'm agreed with pretty much everyone else here on the details.

The thing with Pacifica and the bell isn't really too complicated. As Maverick said, it's just the idea of a child being conditioned to the point that something innocuous like a bell can stop them in their tracks. We're left wondering exactly how she was trained to respond that way.

I imagine they're not going to say as Standards & Practices won't allow it.
She underwent a violent Pavlovian conditioning. I imagine she hears the bell, then she would get hit. This would keep happening to the point that she would cower every time the bell rang.

jediyoshi

I imagine they're not going to say as Standards & Practices won't allow it.
She underwent a violent Pavlovian conditioning. I imagine she hears the bell, then she would get hit. This would keep happening to the point that she would cower every time the bell rang.

All headcanon. There's a million ways conditioning could play out, and a million more that don't involve actively affecting the thing in question.

aravuus

Good episode, Pacifica was great

Fuck the schedule though. We have to wait, what, another month for the next episode? jfc

It seems more like she was simply obedient as when she heard the bell in front of Dipper she blushed. It's Pavlovian but traumatic? Seems like a bit of a stretch for a kid's show

This is the same kids show that, in just this episode alone, featured
blood pouring from taxidermy animal heads
and
a man getting his head spit open by an axe

To be fair, it's also a stretch for a kid's show to show blood dripping in large quantities from the displayed heads of dead animals.

This is the same kids show that, in just this episode alone, featured
blood pouring from taxidermy animal heads
and
a man getting his head spit open by an axe

Yes and kid shows have long since proven that they can get away with violence and related topics if done right.
Psychological torturing your child and leaving her with traumatic issues due to violence
is a whole other ball game.

Can we agree that Pacifica got some sort of conditioning, violent or not, that hints at uncomfortable things about her upbringing?

And the episode has aired, I don't think we need spoiler bars.

Yes and kid shows have long since proven that they can get away with violence and related topics if done right.
Psychological torturing your child and leaving her with traumatic issues due to violence
is a whole other ball game.

Likewise, there's a difference between showing a character bleeding as a natural result of some sort injury and showing blood utilized in a supernatural horror-style fashion without some sort of "it's ketchup!" justification. I haven never seen the latter in any other kids' show.

Traumatic abuse
really isn't that much of a leap.

We'll have to agree to disagree as the blood is pretty extreme but since it came from furniture/decorations and it came from a horror place that's probably how they got past the censors. I can't see him having Pacifica being straight up tortured/physically hurt.

Tuck

Wait. Stop. Hold up. Hold up. Hold the fuck up.

WHY THE HELL DID THEY SHORTEN THE INTRO?

LemongrabUNACCEPTABLLLLLLLLE.gif

-------

Great episode though. Dipper/Pacifica ship is now officially a thing. And that ending!

Veelk

Banned
Whether the conditioning is physical or not is beside the point to me. The horror of this is that they are treating their own daughter inhumanely, cultivating a response that causes her evident discomfort just so they have a way to suppress her will. Physical torture might have been more visually horrific, but the extreme dehumanization that was shown here to their own daughter is the same kind that would be on display had Pacifica been physically punished as part of the conditioning. The point is they terrorize their child into obedience. They made her into their slave. It's disgusting no matter which way you cut it.

UberTag

Well, they certainly did an amazing job of making Pacifica into a sympathetic character in the span of 22 minutes.
This would clearly be an impossible task with Robbie considering how terrible he largely is despite some amazingly hilarious and good-humored parents.

Yeah I really do hope Pacifica continues being friends with Dipper. He doesn't really have a friend his own age and Mabel has 2. Give poor ol dipper a friend/possible ship

Psxphile

tumblr_inline_njx4t3eCdB1s72vlz.gif

That's both adorable and completely messed up.

Wait. Stop. Hold up. Hold up. Hold the fuck up.

WHY THE HELL DID THEY SHORTEN THE INTRO?
Ads.

I haven't looked into it but apparently the "whisper" at the end is saying something different? Was this ever confirmed or just wishful thinking from peeps wanting the shortened intro to mean something?

Hamlet

tumblr_inline_njx4t3eCdB1s72vlz.gif

That's both adorable and completely messed up.

Ads.

I haven't looked into it but apparently the "whisper" at the end is saying something different? Was this ever confirmed or just wishful thinking from peeps wanting the shortened intro to mean something?

Hmm i'm not sure if it actually made more room for commercials though as the episode is around the same length as the previous nine at around 22 minutes long. So more room for content maybe.

guek

Banned
Great episode but it was a bit crammed. I'm not surprised they shortened the intro, though I'm not sure if it was actually to fit more in.

Really like Pacifica's character development too. Good stuff, I just wish the episodes weren't so thinly spread out.

Toxi

Banned
THIS EPISODE WAS AWESOME

THAT ENDING WAS AWESOME

I love how this episode builds on so many of the previous developments of the show. Dipper is finally becoming an actual expert on the supernatural after reading the book so much. The absence of the Society of the Blind Eye means supernatural events show up in the news now. Dipper references the Northwest family history lie in passing. Pacifica has mellowed out towards the Pines a lot after Golf War.
McGuckett fixes the broken laptop.

This continuity doesn't make the show too confusing, it just gives it a sense of life and place because the events of previous episodes aren't outright ignored.

Ultimadrago

Mabel plot aside, it was an enjoyable episode. I wish we didn't have to wait so long for it, but ah well, at least it came. The
animal scene
in the beginning was certainly another "THIS IS ON DISNEY?!" moment for me. Good stuff.

Tuck

Why is it on Disney XD? Why are any new animated shows on there?

Why do they keep killing shows by feeding them to XD just to struggle to justify having a premium cable network?

Disney likes sending shows to die, apparently.

...Poor Tron Uprising =(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom