• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 - You're going to buy it, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

I'll buy it
when it bombas and goes on sale

Linear path button driven start-stop is not flying. It's outdated garbage. They had to throw in obscene amounts of auto targeting and pathing support because the controls are too wonky.

Game is GIF friendly and folks latch onto the style, but actual execution of "falling w/ style" is repetitive and bland, while the combat is simplistic auto-lock button mashing.
As a fan of the first game, I basically agree. Pushing a button to float and another button to start falling in that direction is really not that fun. If you could change the direction of gravity without having to pause and aim, it would be way smoother, stylish and more fun. In that regard it doesn't even touch a game like Just Cause 3 which I'm playing right now. The controls don't feel as good as they should and the combat doesn't seem to have been improved much. Hopefully the game is not banking too much on me being so impressed that a ton of objects are flying around and breaking. I'll still buy the game because for me GR1 was more than the sum of its parts. I still love the art style, music and atmosphere in places.

As a fan of the first game, I basically agree. Pushing a button to float and another button to start falling in that direction is really not that fun. If you could change the direction of gravity without having to pause and aim, it would be way smoother, stylish and more fun. In that regard it doesn't even touch a game like Just Cause 3 which I'm playing right now. The controls don't feel as good as they should and the combat doesn't seem to have been improved much. Hopefully the game is not banking too much on me being so impressed that a ton of objects are flying around and breaking. I'll still buy the game because for me GR1 was more than the sum of its parts. I still love the art style, music and atmosphere in places.

...you can. While shifting, turn the camera so it is facing a different direction than Kat is moving. Then press square. There you go.

BigEmil

Was gonna be a day 1 but as a broke student I no longer can get it early days so will have to buy this later on

Even better then. I'm sure it will be much more smooth. They've had several extra months to polish.

Agreed - as long as the fps dips and lag are fixed up, I don't see an issue with playing @ 30fps, assuming there's no "boosted framerate" option.

It was mainly the combination of both that sullied my experience with the demo.

Blindy

Will be my 1st new 2017 game that I played, day one. The remastered PS4 move saved this franchise for me otherwise I would not have been on board given I own PS4 and PS TV but no Vita. Was a great move by Sony.

Day One.

Sure, it'll likely bomba and drop in price quite quickly.

But I want to support a fresh IP that's rare, and show that support with my wallet.

Blindy

Also getting free DLC 2 months after with a vital character in this series, even more reason to give a day 1 purchase to this game.

soundpross

Neo Member
100% buying....tho i still havent finished the first one I bought it day 1 and got to the last mission but i held off finishing it cause at the time i thought they wouldnt have a sequel since its a vita game then they announced a 2nd one and i was like ok ill hold off till last week of gr2 release lol

Griss

So, can you expand on this a bit more. What exactly in GR2 demo feels like a Vita sequel? It feels like an advanced PS4 game to me with fun flying mechanics, improved combat, amazing scenery that 4 Vitas taped together couldn't handle, expansive environments?

The gameplay feels exactly like the Vita game did. It's incredibly similar to that first game, I'm not seeing any leaps forward at all.

The way Kat moves, animates, kicks; the way the enemies move around her, float and attack all with minimal AI; the lame quest objectives; the lingering camera issues; the way it all plays in a very 'jerky' kind of way... it feels like a lesser polished AA game (ie what's acceptable on the Vita) rather than what I'd expect a big-budget AAA action game on the PS4 to be.

I could absolutely imagine this game running on the Vita with the visuals toned down.

Doesn't that start a kick?

A gravity kick in a different direction than you were shifting/gravity kicking, yeah. Kat will tumble in the air if the kick animation stops but you can plain shift afterward or repeatedly gravity kick and have it work more-or-less the same as shifting. Before landing on a new ground, press both triggers in the Remastered version and Kat will slide once she hits the ground without stopping. And you can let go immediately after if you want to walk regularly.

To answer thread title: Yes.

Gravity Rush 2 was the first game I felt confident about pre-ordering in terms of January 2017 releases, so it's been in my pre-orders for longer than any other game releasing in January. I'm also grabbing Yakuza 0, Resident Evil VII, Hitman: Complete Season 1 (disc), and Dragon Quest VIII 3DS in January. I think I will probably enjoy Yakuza 0 the most out of the bunch, but GR2 is easily my personal second most anticipated in that lineup.

I don't think there was even a month in the fall/holiday months that raked up quite as many enthusiastic purchases as this, with the exception of December where Steam sale pushed me over the edge on the amount of games I bought.

Nameless

Linear path button driven start-stop is not flying. It's outdated garbage. They had to throw in obscene amounts of auto targeting and pathing support because the controls are too wonky.

Game is GIF friendly and folks latch onto the style, but actual execution of "falling w/ style" is repetitive and bland, while the combat is simplistic auto-lock button mashing.

No Western demo release because they know it would hurt sales. I had it pre-ordered w/ the hope a PS4 sequel would remove the Vita shackles that presumably held back modern gameplay execution in the original release. Completely disappointed that the sequel features identical outdated gameplay and it hasn't even launched yet.

I'll buy it
when it bombas and goes on sale

Are we playing the same game?

InfatuatedCompetentCapeghostfrog.gif

JealousLoneHawaiianmonkseal.gif

down 2 orth

I'm buying it for sure. Apparently some people didn't like the first game, but then again, some people don't like the taste of beer or having hot showers. To each their own.

Anywhere I can get a recap on the story?
I played it on vita but it's been awhile.

Edit: Sorry I should read the OP more carefully next time.

-snip-

Isn't the player just pressing R1 twice very quickly? In which case, he's still stopping.

I went back to the demo to see if I could manage to get Kat to change direction while shifting and aside from the method I know of, I couldn't do it.

On the other hand, found out you can use the stasis while sliding which is neat.

Also, lunar mode + stasis field is OP. I was just walking around in lunar mode, picking stuff and launching them at enemies, rinsing and repeating. Very easy since you don't need to aim precisely and there was so much shit flying in the air, it looked really cool. The framerate took a hit though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm going to play Yakuza 0 first, but I'm buying this day 1, without a doubt. I loved Gravity Rush 1 (still need to play Remastered, come to think of it), and I have to support such an unexpected sequel.

Roussow

The remaster on PS4 is totally worth playing right? I picked it up for dirt cheap on a psn sale and haven't got around to playing it yet.

Jolkien

Already pre-ordered GR2 at 20% off on Amazon.

I was lukewarm on the first one on Vita but I enjoyed it far more when I replayed, and platinumed the PS4 version.

Menitta

Maybe. Depends on where I am cash wise when Yakuza 0 comes out. That's already set in stone. I really liked the demo.

Jimrpg

Awesome and very informative thread and I wish GR2 great success because there needs to be more games like it.

Unfortunately I couldn't really get into GR on the Vita when it was available for PS Plus (the flying mechanics made me dizzy) so I'll be skipping it, or getting it cheap down the track, but by the sounds of things in this thread there's a lot of people getting it so that's great news.

PKrockin

A gravity kick in a different direction than you were shifting/gravity kicking, yeah. Kat will tumble in the air if the kick animation stops but you can plain shift afterward or repeatedly gravity kick and have it work more-or-less the same as shifting. Before landing on a new ground, press both triggers in the Remastered version and Kat will slide once she hits the ground without stopping. And you can let go immediately after if you want to walk regularly.
Oh yeah, sliding was pretty cool. I just kept forgetting it existed because the game never really asks you to do it outside challenges. And it was kind of janky too.

InfatuatedCompetentCapeghostfrog.gif

JealousLoneHawaiianmonkseal.gif
Are those gifs showing something different than what I said? Being limited to basically a straight path (I know you can move side to side a little with the stick) and having to cancel the fall and enter an aim mode to select a new direction just isn't much fun to me. It's like I'm flying a helicopter by setting waypoints. While that will probably look smoother than dealing with typical helicopter controls I can never quite master, it's still nowhere near as fun as flying a plane or a glider.

LotusHD

Banned
Oh yeah, sliding was pretty cool. I just kept forgetting it existed because the game never really asks you to do it outside challenges. And it was kind of janky too.

Are those gifs showing something different than what I said? Being limited to basically a straight path (I know you can move side to side a little with the stick) and having to cancel the fall and enter an aim mode to select a new direction just isn't much fun to me. It's like I'm flying a helicopter by setting waypoints. While that will probably look smoother than dealing with typical helicopter controls I can never quite master, it's still nowhere near as fun as flying a plane or a glider.

Huh? But you just quoted humansarehorses, who said that you don't have to cancel your falls. You can just simply use your gravity kick in the direction you want instead.

I have Gravity Rush Remaster sitting on my PS4 front page from a PS+ free game deal.

Just... Sitting there... Yeah...

A 12 hour game doesn't sound too bad I guess... But still....

RPGam3r

No? Maybe?

I want to like this series, I've supported it twice. But it controls are poor/wonky/janky. I feel like I should feel awesome, but most of the time I feel like a drunken idiot.

『Inaba Resident』;227850277 said:
Ok? What does Nier have to do with this
Nothing really. The Gravity Rush 2 demo reminded me that I played Nier directly after playing it. Didn't expect much from either one and ended up really liking Nier surprisingly.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

No Western demo release because they know it would hurt sales. I had it pre-ordered w/ the hope a PS4 sequel would remove the Vita shackles that presumably held back modern gameplay execution in the original release. Completely disappointed that the sequel features identical outdated gameplay and it hasn't even launched yet.

Wrapping up GR1 now finally and fully agree. I give this game a pass for being a Vita remaster, but had hopes the console sequel would reinterpret flying in a more intuitive and fluid manner.

The demo convinced me to hold off entirely. Utterly baffled the only real innovations on display are expanding the ammo range for pulling objects/ammo and shifting to different combat modes by swiping the touchpad, which in itself seemed ludicrous both conceptually and in execution.

I haven't disliked GR1, but I really fail to see what GAF loves about it outside of Kat and her anime steampunk world. There is a real special 'character' flight-action game to be made someday, but gravity rush is not it.

maverick40

Playing a review copy now and loving it! Way better than first game in every way so far!

Only 3 hours in though but doubt much will change.

It is stunning to look at too

PaulloDEC

Heck naw. That sub 60FPS is garbage.

Nice idea though. Bring it to PC and then we'll talk.

I've always sorta known that framerate evangelists exist, but it's still weird to me when I see one. Makes me sad for them when I think about all the amazing 30fps games they've missed out on.

LotusHD

Banned
Wrapping up GR1 now finally and fully agree. I give this game a pass for being a Vita remaster, but had hopes the console sequel would reinterpret flying in a more intuitive and fluid manner.

The demo convinced me to hold off entirely. Utterly baffled the only real innovations on display are expanding the ammo range for pulling objects/ammo and shifting to different combat modes by swiping the touchpad, which in itself seemed ludicrous both conceptually and in execution.

I haven't disliked GR1, but I really fail to see what GAF loves about it outside of Kat and her anime steampunk world. There is a real special 'character' flight-action game to be made someday, but gravity rush is not it.

I honestly don't know where people got the impression that the sequel would just completely change up everything, when the remastered version of the first game was more or less was a good sign of what to expect. Not to mention the initial trailers further indicated that that was never going to be the case, as well as the demos starting from as early as E3...

Playing a review copy now and loving it! Way better than first game in every way so far!

Only 3 hours in though but doubt much will change.

It is stunning to look at too

You're a lucky guy :(

I'm waiting on reviews. I'm hoping it's an Assassin's Creed situation where the sequel takes the awesome traversal mechanic from the first and builds a compelling game around it, but after the demo, I'm not entirely hopeful that they'll get there. Flying around was a blast in the original but the lifeless world and the copy-and-paste missions got really old really quick.

ZeroX03

Banned
No, I'm not going to buy it unless there's stellar reviews and a hefty drop. It's not like Yakuza 0 where the series is consistently great and Y0 is a known quantity. First game was not good. It wasn't terrible, but I put five or so hours in before dropping it. It was a collection of half baked, poorly executed ideas with whack controls. Not for me.

I'll try it if/when it hits PS+ though.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
nope, sorry. Switch is my priority number one. I don't have as much money anymore as I did in the past and only so much amazon gift-cards left that I got for my birthday..
I already had to cancel Horizon, Yakuza, Mass Effect Andromeda and now Gravity Rush 2.

DKHF

I will be getting it day 1. I downloaded the demo and started playing it a little but decided the game is so close and IIRC the build used in the demo is relatively outdated at this point that I would stop and just wait.

weekev

Banned
Alright OP, I'm in. Will go get the first one once I'm done with Mafia 3(can't see it being long I'm getting pretty tired of it) and if I like it I'm in for the second.

aravuus

Dunno, the performance made it reeeaally hard to enjoy the demo. If the full game runs at a stable 30fps I might check it out, but not at full price.

I honestly don't know where people got the impression that the sequel would just completely change up everything, when the remastered version of the first game was more or less was a good sign of what to expect. Not to mention the initial trailers further indicated that that was never going to be the case, as well as the demos starting from as early as E3...

Haha, I think it's just one of those things. Sequels either change things if something was wrong, or increase the scale and spectacle. GR2 seems to be the second option, and given that it's moving format, the hope is probably to get more people who never gave the first game a shot in the first place, rather than the people who didn't like it first time round.

In terms of actual changes and improvements, i'm quite interested in the asymmetrical multiplayer portion I've saw mentioned in interviews, set in the mines. The talk of dying and resources collected at that point appearing in other people's worlds, I'm interested to know what kind of challenge would even lead to you dying, Mines imply tighter spaces too, so I'm wondering what they'll do with that. Could be something different that will appeal to other folks. On of the articles in Lotus' ot has a video covering some of this, but I think I'll hang off and find out myself when the game comes out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom